Lucozade Sport Super Six: CC2 - Speedy Goth

Comments

• I'm sure the weather gods smile on the GNR and pull out a scorcher even if it's been horrible all week - it was 25 degrees at last years GNR, and 26 the year before, hopefully it'll be cooler but I'm not gonna hold my breath image

• One or two athletes seem to cope alright with the heat, but loads more was strugglng and just hope everyone came out of the race ok.
  • CC2 - useful to hear about the cold feeling with dehydration.  It explains why I got chilly coming up to 5 miles of my 6 mile race last night.
  • 28 mile bike ride today, in another blisteringly hot day. Now I have new comedy sunburn to add to yesterday's. Curse cycle gloves - my hands look really daft with red circles in the middle of them! Knees are burnt too image.

The pace was leisurely and we kept stopping for punctures, emergency Harrods purchases (to fix said punctures), lunch and the pub. I never felt out of breath but did have to adjust my saddle in the lunch stop as it was too low and my knees were starting to ache.

The route was from Beeston (1 mile minimum of this route was me getting lost in Beeston - stoopid confusing place!), to Elvaston castle in Derby using Cycle Route 6, then back again along the canal paths. It was beautiful. Look!

http://photos.l3.facebook.com/photos-l3-snc1/v273/100/67/660377096/n660377096_1109599_6376.jpg

http://photos.l3.facebook.com/photos-l3-snc1/v273/100/67/660377096/n660377096_1109601_6954.jpg

And there was a good turnout - we took up most of the available space at the castle...

http://photos.l3.facebook.com/photos-l3-snc1/v273/100/67/660377096/n660377096_1109600_6704.jpg

• I had thought it was only 15 miles, but it turns out it was 'at least' 15 miles. Oops!

Today's nutrition:

Porridge
    Coffee
    Powerbar Ride Bar
    Btl Lucozade Raspberry
    Pouch Lucozade Sport
    Wholemeal bagel with low fat cream cheese
    Can of Diet Coke
    Slice of chocolate cake image (it looked so nice and was relatively cheap!)
    1 litre water
    Half pint Strongbow image (it was 'extra cold' and, well, I just wanted it!)
    Remainder of yesterday's Powerbar
    Flapjack
    500mls water
    This week's Pasta Concoction
    2 glasses diet coke

Not exactly idealimage

• The pasta concoction....

As usual this was made from 'whatever is in the cupboards', which wasn't a great deal.

350g Wholewheat Conchigle
    Tin of tuna (most of, had to give some to the cat)
    Tin of tomatoes
    Tin of chickpeas

That's the cupboard exhaused so on to the fridge...

Stick of celery
    Squirt of Sundried tomato paste

Poo, nothing else in there, not even an onion or clove of garlic. On to the freezer...

Handful of soya beans
    Handful of stri fry veg

Still looks a little lacking, try the garden...

One small carrot
    One large raddish
    One cherry tomato (actually I ate that straight away as it was my first home grown tom!)
    Mint
    Basil
    Oregano
    Garlic Chives
    Flat leaf Parsley

All whacked in a pan with some salt, pepper and paprika.

So that is what I shall be mostly eating this week. It's not bad, though a little bland.

• Do Lucozade do Cider and Chocolate cake flavour yet?

think you are allowed that after a heavy weekend's exercise in the heat.

• Well done CC2 - Great run the other day (heat like that is so draining) and I hope the bum cheek stood up to the bike ride yesterday image
  • I hadn't realised you were chosen for the Super 6.Your time goal is well within your reach for GNR.Cheers and see you at the clubThe unsociable one........image
  • The radishes and soya beans should give you a nice boost. image Only joking. I've ordered the 405, been on UTube to see the demos.

If you want a real laugh have a look at my diet -Sticky toffee pudding and all.

DT.

• Wll done Catherine, I'm impressed

Now I feel really lazy, after a hot and sticky 9 1/2 miles early Saturday morning the only energetic thing I've acheived is a swim in the sea at Hunstanton, I suppose this could be classed as cross training.

After all this inspiration I'm raring to get out on my speed session tommorrow morning before work. 

• RLTW, the numb bum from my injection only lasted a day, but now I do indeed have a sore behind. Think I must have a bony bum!

I was suprised to find that my legs didn't ache today, considering that the furthest I'd cycled prior to yesterday's 28 miles was a measley 5 miles.

That is to say they didn't ache until I tried to take them out for a run! It felt like my feet were made of concrete and everything from the hips down was made of jelly! Luckily it was just an easy recovery run today - 30 mins according to the schedule but the shortest route in the woods is just under 5 miles so it works out a little longer.

4.92 miles - 42.88 (average pace 8.42).

Then I came home and did the exercises my physio has prescribed for my back (had some problems back in April with my Rhomboid and Traps that hasn't entirely resolved itself yet) and glutes (apparently I have a weak bum - so the physio says anyway - soon I'll have buns of steel though image). Did a little core work too while I was on before retreating to the bath where I was serenaded by bagpipes.

• Today's nutrition:

Throughout the day- 1.5 litres water
    Breakfast- Mug of tea, dry Fruit 'n' Fibre, slice of Malt Loaf
    Snack- Mug of tea, Brunch Bar, 1 dry Ryvita, 4 dried apricots, a few nuts and seeds, rice cake
    Dinner- Tuscan Bean Soup, 2 slices wholemeal bread, banana, yoghurt, can of Diet Coke, mug of tea
    Snack- Apple, mug of tea
    Post run- small glass Nesquick
    Tea- Porridge, glass of diet coke

image All pretty healthy today image.

I'm on 'late lunch' this week and I can never make it through without snacking every hour. I'm always hungry in the mornings and less so in the afternoon (even less in the evening). Late lunch is my idea of torture. I sit at my desk like a zombie, just waiting for the clock to turn to ten past one so that I can go and eat something substantial!

• Gold Star for CC2's food today imagealthough it still doesn't look a lot to me for someone that runs so far and so fast!     Perhaps I'm just a little piglet!  image I have to start posting my food from tomorrow so we'll see what happens!

• Exceptionally healthy and discliplined eating.

• Do half marathon coaches not need to sleep?

2.00am???image

• Right then, today's session  - 6 x 800m with 2 min recoveries I don't do metric so my intervals were 0.5 miles. I did these at the lake which is just over a mile loop, leaving a bottle of Hydrate stashed under a bush to sip from after reps 2, 4 and 6.

Splits:

1.28miles 11.19mins (10 mins jogging plus stopping for a drink)
    0.5 miles       3.25             (pace 6.53)
    0.22 miles    2.00              (pace 9.02)
    0.5 miles       3.26             (pace 6.55)
    0.16 miles     2.00             (pace 12.25 - drink stop)
    0.5 miles       3.25             (pace 6.53)
    0.19 miles     2.00             (pace 10.36)
    0.5 miles       3.23             (pace 6.49)
    0.14 miles    2.00              (pace 14.04 - drink stop)
    0.5 miles       3.26             (pace 6.55)
    0.14 miles     2.00             (pace 14.17)
    0.5 miles       3.13             (pace 6.29 - caned that one!)
    0.14 miles     2.00             (pace 14.45 - drink stop)
    1.27 miles     11.42           (pace 9.12)

I think having the drink with me helped as I tired less than last week and didn't get the stomach cramps afterwards, however most of my split times were slower than I would have liked. I'll have to put that down to being still tired from the weekend's exersions.

I find it so hard doing intervals on my own, I like to have someone to chase. Any takers?? image

• Today's nutrition:

Dry Fruit 'n' Fibre
    Cup of tea
    Malt loaf
    Apple
    Dry Ryvita
    2 cups of tea
    Dried apricots, nuts and seeds
    Rice cake
    Pasta concoction
    Banana and yoghurt
    Can of diet coke
    Lucozade energy bar
    Cup of tea
    500mls Hydrate
    500mls Lucozade recovery drink
    Bowl of homemade soup (veg and chicken stock) with wholemeal crust.
    Diet coke

Plus about 2 litres of water during the whole day.

image again. I was very tempted by the reduced price chocolate croissants in Tesco until a, erm, larger lady shall I say, came and started to look at them too. That rather put me off so they stayed out of the trolley. I did well with the reduced section today - got some mango for 30p (which reminds me, I was going to eat that now but I'm full. Will take it to work), two bags of high bran bagels for 16p each, 2 packs of Irish potato farns for 11p each, a bag of mixed seasonal veg for 20p (hence the soup), a bag of shallots for 23p and some 'finest' sausages for 24p. Bargain!

• Great blog CC2, keep it up!! image
  • Well done on the croissant disclipline and well done on the session . That's a superb even first five and then a great finish.

Definitely the best way to do the session and you would definitely go quicker with company, but it is quick enough.

On such a hot day, i would have thought you needed more liquid than that but

• CC2 -I'm very impressed with your diet discipline! Sounds like you've got extremely good willpower!

(Or the sight of the fat bird made you think she might fight you for that pastry and you couldn't risk the injury) image

Intervals make me feel sick. I hate them, but they're supposed to be good for you. A bit like cod liver oil....

• CC2 - I am so impressed with your focus and discipline with your speed intervals training.   I really need to have a go at doing them outside and well done on avoiding the croissants image
  • Well done CC2

Excellent interval session, it is hard doing them alone, if I lived in your neck of the woods I'd join you but I would definately be the one trying to catch you.

I like a bargain at the supermarket but the cream cakes do make it into my trolley. Enjoy your 60 minutes easy today, I have the same session but shall leave it until tonight when it will hopefully be a little bit cooler.

• Easy 60 mins tonight. My legs complained at me for the first mile or so but then finally warmed up. About 2 miles later my lungs joined in and it was quite pleasant until I reached Heartbreak hill. One day I'm going to work out how to find out the gradient of that thing. I can't believe we ran up it 5 times as a hill session the other week!

Stats:

1. 8.37
    2. 9.12 (Thornton's hill and waiting for people to catch up/go to the loo)
    3. 7.58 (Legs and lungs starting to cooperate)
    4. 8.24
    5. 8.18
    6. 9.09 (The dreaded Heartbreak Hill)
    7. 8.40
    8. 3.53 (8.42 pace)

Total 7.45 miles, average pace 8.37, average HR 155.

I didn't take any drink with me because I hate carrying it, but I really could have done with some. I might have to start wearing my Lara Croft belt for club runs while it's this hot. (It's got 4 little bottles on it and looks like a grenade belt). I look daft with it though and it weighs me down.

• Today's nutrition:-

Dry Fruit 'n' Fibre
    Mug of tea
    2 Ryvita with scraping of low fat cream cheese
    Apple
    Mango
    Oats & More bar
    Mug of tea
    Mug of coffee
    Rice cake
    Can of Diet Coke
    The pasta concoction
    Banana, grapes and blueberries in fruit yoghurt
    Mug of tea
    Powerbar
    Mug of tea
    Nesquick
    Home made veg soup with High Bran and Seed bagel
    At least 2 litres water throughout the day

• Forgot to mention - after the run I came home and did the 45 min Powermax workout which is basically  a Body Pump class on video with lousy music.

• Hey Speedy.

you would have thought the mags would be sent same time. Good section on newbies like me. I've read most of it already especially the section on knee injuries. We have the same photos as the web site in our bitof the mag.

You and the rest of the team are doing so well and my body is just falling to bits image.

D.T.

• Hi Cat, How are you now after your injection? How have the products been working out for you? Have you been mixing up some recovery for post-sessions? These have got 18 grams of protein, so a good amount on the whey (ha ha) to your RDA for endurance training.Really good to see you are getting that water in throughout the day, as well as Lucozade before training sessions and well done for weighing yourself!! 500ml is pretty standard as sweat rates go. Your diet is looking more varied and definitely getting that 5'a'day I see -I will analyse the sheets you gave me and the written log on here tomorrow - plenty to go on. Initially I would say that you energy intake doesn’t look especially high to be fueling the large amount of training undertaken, it may be deceiving however!  Any queries you have for me? Have you been using the hydrate for the recent hot weather? Sorry to fire so many questions at you, I shall call you to discuss bottle carrying solutions. Tess  

• Good run today - just about the right speed.
  • Tess and Steve, do you not sleep?????

Tess, I've tried some of the sachets. I like the Hydrate, not so sure about Body Fuel but I might try making it a bit weaker next time. I liked the Hydro Active but it doesn't serve much of a purpose for half marathon training. I tried the recovery sachets after my intervals on tuesday. It's seriously frothy. Luckily I'd made it in a big bottle! I'm saving it for those tuesday night sessions when I'm training straight from work then going on to do my shopping so not getting home within the 20 mins 'window'. I don't want to run out of it so I'm still having chocolate milk after my other sessions. I'll try a gel on my long run on saturday. I took some Body Fuel out with me tonight in one of those ring shaped bottles. It drove me mad and I wanted to throw the stupid thing away! It's really hard to drink out of and I'm sure it made me run lopsidedly! I need a training partner on a bicycle!