Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Pleased of Higham

Comments

• Options

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Pleased-of-Higham/SL700295_edited.jpg

Inscription Reads:             Doug Anderson Memorial 5K  1st  LV45   July 2008

Look what I received in the post today. What a great trophy and totally unexpected.  There are some advantages to getting older, even if I was 3 mintues slower than the LV50. Thanks to the Bedford Harriers for putting on a very enjoyable and well organised race. Next year I will be in the LV50 category myself and theres no chance of winning a trophy, although after all this training who knows?

• Options

Hi DT

Yes, I have committed to the GYR, looking forward to meeting everyone and it will be a good opportunity to see how well our training is going.

Glad you are back on track and feeling better. Sponge Pud motivation excellent.

I had roast pork yesterday but I made roasted new potatoes and roasted vegetables instead of Yorkshire Pud and all the trimmings. Trying to think hard about nutrtion but i do like my food and have many weaknesses, I've been craving a KFC for the past three weeks, I must not give in.

I had a few aches and pains yesterday and I had to ice my knee last night but things feel fine this morning, hope it stays that way for my early morning speed session tommorrow.

Have a GOOD DAY.image

• Options
    well done on the trophy, Sue
  • Options
    Great Run Sue - everyone is making such great progress now! 
  • Options
    Early Morning Speedwork Session has been temporarily postponed.  This is the view from the window at this very moment.
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Pleased-of-Higham/SL700323.jpg

I shall take my running kit to work and look out for a lull in the weather, I don't mind the rain but this is the sort that soaks you through to the skin in 20 seconds. 

I wish we had a running club nearby as todays session 14 x 200m would be easier to perform on a track, never mind, down the lakes it will be.

In the meantime, yesterdays nutrition.    Rest Day.

Breakfast :            Coffee     Fruit & Fibre Cereal,   Fruit Juice with Seed Oil

Mid Morning:         Peppermint Tea - Cinnamon & Raisin Bagel

Lunch:                   Feta Cheese and Olive, Salad, Wholemeal Bread & Butter.

Coffee, One small chocolate.     Slice of Melon.

Afternoon :           Drank Body Fuel during the afternoon. 3 pieces of Melon and a Pear

Tea:                      Two pieces of Ham and Pineapple Pizza.  

During the Evening:     Two glasses of wine   Two glasses of water

Bedtime:              Peppermint Tea

Had a very disturbed nights sleep, woke late to the phone ringing, it was my friend sugesting we cancel this mornings run because of the weather. I had'nt even looked out of the window. Perhaps as well it has been delayed, I should feel a bit sharper later.

• Options
    Did you make it out in the end?
  • Options

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Pleased-of-Higham/RunningatAnnes.jpg

Hi CC2.  I did eventually run yesterday, the weather broke during the afternoon and we managed to slot in the speedwork session before the heavens opened again. Report coming soon, I did make a hash up of the timings though, you can perhaps tell by the look of confusion on my face trying to work out my Garmin.

Did you get the e-mail about the Nike 10K Human Race at Wembley.  Are you going?

• Options
    I had a bit of trouble with my timing too - I'm not used to having to think when I'm running!!
  • Options

After a frustrating start to the day being unable to run first thing in the morning, spent most of the day at work keeping an eye on the weather, looking for a break in the cloud. The skies did eventually clear, a quick phone call to Anne and we commit to running at 4pm. 

Drove to Anne’s house, we set off from there for our warm-up knowing we needed to find somewhere where we could run the 200m intervals. We headed towards the park thinking this would be suitable, during our warm up we encountered a group of teenagers who took great delight in singing the 118 tune (knew I shouldn’t have worn that t-shirt) and promptly decided that they could run too. It wasn’t long before the taunting stopped and only two of the lads tried to stay with us, they had stopped smiling and singing now, it had become personal.  We invited them to join us but they continued straight on as we turned the corner and we never heard from them again. 

Reached the park and it become evident that there was nowhere suitable to run, very busy because this was the only bit of sunshine all day. 

Headed back to my friends house, decided it would be quieter there. The road outside her house measured just over100 metres so it would be a case of up and down with a quick turn half way to fit in the 200m.  It became obvious after the first 200m that this wouldn’t be ideal but we were both under time restraints, I was expected back at work so we preserved.

• Options

Measuring the 200m was a bit haphazard, missed the button on several occasions and over running but managed to get some stats.  It took the first few runs to get into the swing of things and to understand what we needed to do. Had to avoid a child on a pedal car during one run and a neighbour with an Alsatian who wanted to bark furiously at us, I hope she’s got tight hold of that lead I don’t like the look in his eyes.

Pace was once again difficult to monitor over this short distance, GPS units aren’t really up to this, I hope the Nike Sportsband will prove more accurate, I can’t wait to try it- just need the trainers.

Ran the first 7 intervals, quick stop for a drink of Body Fuel and back for the next 7. Session was soon over; we jogged around the block for a cool down and a few stretches outside the house and then back to work.

• Options

Lap 1                           58.78 mins                   7.19/ml

Lap 2                           58.95 mins                   7.45/ml

Lap 3                           56.38 mins                   7.08/ml

Lap 4                           55.55 mins                   6.26/ml

Lap 5                           58.96 mins                   7.45/ml

Lap 6                        1.00.62 mins                   8.04/ml   

Lap 7                        1.09.79 mins                   8.29/ml   Avoiding a child on a pedal car

Light jog and a quick drink.

• Options

Lap 8                           58.97 mins                   7.45/ml

Lap 9                           58.98 mins                   7.46/ml

Lap 10                         57.70 mins                   7.13/ml

Lap 11                      1.14.47 mins                   9.46/ml  Slowed right down to go past the Alsatian who was getting very annoyed with us.

Lap 12                      1.00.62 mins                   8.04/ml

Lap 13                      1.10.01 mins                   8.30/ml

Lap 14                         58.82 mins                   7.19/ml Determined to try and finish strong 

All times very close or over the minute so found myself more or less running continuously in both sets. All in all very disappointed in the session, I would like to try it again under better conditions because the distances were a bit erratic, several well over 200m according to the Garmin, I felt distracted throughout and unable to give the session my full concentration.  Could try harder.

• Options

Hi Sue - I don't have a garmin but I programmed my RS200 polar watch for 2 zones (speed and recovery) and time rather than distance and ran at a pace I felt I could sustain.  You might find that better, I would have found it impossible to try and monitor the pace over such a short distance!

Oh - and I presume your timings are seconds rather than minutes, otherwise that would have been some speed session!image

• Options
    BTW - love the fact that you outran the teenagers!!   image  
  • Options

Well spotted Tracy,

Told you I was confused, it just felt like minutes.

Re: Teenagers.  Very satisfying and we were old enough to be their mothers!

• Options

The session is fine Sue in the circumstances - you ran quickly and reasonably consistently barring the odd alsation and pedal car, and finished well.

On such short sessions like this the actual times of reps and length are not as important as actually doing them, and turning the legs around quicker than normal.

It is more important to get everything right on the longer reps such as next week's session, but today I think you should be satisfied with it. 

• Options

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Pleased-of-Higham/SL700329.jpg

End of the run, home before dusk..

Training Schedule Tonight - 70 mintues Easy. 

Set off this evening with Sam who always keeps me steady on our easy runs. What pace do we want to do tonight, 9.30/ml pace should be fine, we set the training assistant on the Garmin, we’re going to race him tonight. Leave home for our usual route to the lakes, the track is very muddy and full of puddles after the rain, reach the lakes and set off with an easy pace in mind, the sun’s shining, the black clouds have gone away and it’s going to be a nice evening. Settle quite quickly into a steady pace, we’re going faster than the little man (I’ve always assumed it’s a man) but we can ease back there’s plenty of time.  Get chatting about this and that, still feels faster but still comfortable. Decide to run around the lakes first for a change of scenery, and then head off on the track , we need to cover 7.25 miles to maintain the set pace. 

Reach the turnaround point and have .25 miles on the little man, still feel good so let’s carry on until we feel the need to ease back. Take the opposite route around the lake for a change, facing quite a strong head wind now, not what you need at the end of a run.  Hit the muddy track, just another 10 minutes to go, still maintaining quite a good pace. Have to weave in and out of all the puddles, can see Sam getting covered in mud so I know I must be as well.  Reach the bridge and steep climb to finish 3,2,1 and stop.

Distance covered 8.37 miles   Time:  1:10:01   Average Pace 8.22/ml    Calories 835

So much for helping me stay on a steady pace Sam.  Never mind, we finish exhilarated and happy, makes up for the frustrating speed session yesterday.  Enjoy the walking stretch home. Looking forward to a cup of coffee, shower and a relax. What an enjoyable run, hope I don’t pay for it tomorrow.

Steve, under the circumstances can I make tomorrow 60 minutes run more of a recovery run because I think I may have done the brisk run tonight.  It wasn’t intentional it just felt good and we both settled into the pace very early on.

• Options

Yes a bit too quick - more like the planned Thursday run, but you should be ok, and this was the week to run a quicker Wednesday run than planned.

what i suggest you do is run 60 minutes easy (if you can run easy! ie 9 minute miles but try and run 10 minutes in the middle at half marathon pace (sub 8s) before going back to the slower pace.

It won't be easy after the last 2 days, though luckily the 200s would have taken less out of you than a session such as 800s or 1600s. However, it will be important in the next month that the Wednesday becomes more of recovery run than a harder training run.

• Options

Slight change in schedule tonight, 60 minutes easy with 10 minutes at half marathon pace. 

Late home from work so just time for a quick coffee, fill the bottle with Lucozade Body Fuel and out the door.  Met up with Sam and Anne, we need to extend our usual Thursday run and decide to do a loop of the town with plenty of places to add extra if needed.  

The start is always nice as there is a lovely long downhill section, not so good when you are coming the other way.  Run for a couple of miles and have to cross the road which for some unexplained reason is very busy tonight and takes ages to get across, “Come On”. Up the next hill and we have been running for a good 20 minutes, time to up the pace, initial section is downhill so it makes it that bit easier to increase the speed but as with all hills there’s always an uphill the other side, this should slow us down. I am aware that I need to maintain this section well but I am feeling tired after last nights effort, however, the push didn’t feel as bad as I feared and after ten minutes of what felt like fairly constant speed we slowed the pace down.  This was the  point where I began to feel the stress in my legs, I knew I had to keep going for another 25 minutes and at that point wasn't sure that I could, eased back a bit more to give the legs time to recover and after about 5 minutes found the strength to gradually increase the pace. We weaved in and out of the streets, ended up putting extra on so that we could cover the time, hoped we would be finished by the time we hit the sharp steep hill near Anne’s house, no such luck.  Finished our run ploughing up the dreaded hill, gritted teeth, determined to finish without a whimper. Time for a cup of coffee – I can’t face cake tonight.  

Total Distance:  7.51 miles  First 20 minutes   Avg. Pace 8.45/ml

Half Marathon Pace section Time 10.01 minutes  Avg. pace: 7.32/ml

Last 30 minutes Avg. pace: 8.42/ml 

Woke this morning expecting a few aches and pains, lie still for awhile until I can check nothings hurting, apart from the usual slight niggle in my knee I feel fine. Better make sure I have a decent breakfast as I missed tea last night.  I must be losing weight but the scales say otherwise. Rest day today.

• Options

Hi Sue, your easy pace is still faster than my 10k race pace despite the knee trouble. You've had some great runs recently.

But what's this about not being able to face cakeimage. The fresh crusty bread with butter and honey was a real treat for me after Wednesdays run. Then yesterday I scoffed a whole Malt Loaf in the afternoon.

Enjoy the rest today and have a great weekend. DT.

• Options

good run Sue.

Hope the knee is fine today

• Options

Thanks Steve

Knee feels OK today., just watching some Olympics and we've won two gold this morning.  Feeling inspired.

Just making a decision where to run for two hours today, had a lie in instead of getting up early. Makes a nice change.

• Options

After a lie in and a lazy start to the day, I decided to run at Pitsford Reservoir; it’s just under 7 miles around so I was planning two laps. We arrived there about 4.45pm, still plenty of cyclists and walkers about.  Came prepared with a Lucozade gel for half way round and recovery drink at the finish, carried some heavily diluted lemon drink.  Set off feeling positive, was running on my own today so I had my music with me. 

The track around the reservoir is not ideal for running as there are a lot of loose large stones but I was enjoying being somewhere different. The reservoir is large (DT: nothing like Windermere though) and when there is a wind it can hit you quite hard in places but it can also work to your advantage. 

I ran the first 1 hour covering 7.10 miles at an average pace of 8.27/ml, a bit too fast so I mentally made a note to make myself slow for the 2nd hour. Before starting the second lap I had a quick drink and tried the gel again, this time I thought I would use a whole sachet to see if there was any noticeable difference, for the first 10 minutes or so all I could think about was the taste of the gel and how it was lining my stomach, I drank plenty and eventually the taste subsided. Continued on my second lap, definitely feeling much slower and beginning to tire. Second lap felt like a slog, reached the second lap point and according to my watch still had another 15 minutes to do, ran up and down the causeway several times, quite a strong side wind now, most of the cyclists and walkers had gone home, it began to feel a lonely place.  Eventually reached the two hour point, ready to stop, legs feeling very tired.  Covered 6.60 miles at a pace of 8.56/ml. Immediately drank the Lucozade Recovery drink as I was very thirsty and had run out of the water. Glad to get in the car, insufficient stretches, just wanted to get home. 

• Options

By the time I reached home I felt badly sick, put myself straight to bed unable to face anything, even a shower and was promptly violently sick, still continued to feel bad and after lying in bed for another couple of hours was violently sick again.  Managed after this to have a shower went back to bed and had a restless nights sleep. Since my run yesterday I haven’t eaten anything just taken in fluids.  Feeling a bit better this morning although a little stiff, shall try something to eat before I take my daughter to London for the day (don’t know if I can face that). 

I’ve never been sick after a run before, I don’t know what to put it down to, the dodgy bacon I had that morning, a full gel sachet which I’m not used to or drinking the recovery drink to soon or too fast but I don’t want to experience that again.

Some video footage to come, not of me being sick, will post it as soon as I've edited it.

• Options
    Hope you're feeling better now Sue. Do you think it was the gel?
  • Options

Sounds nasty Sue .... hope you're feeling better now .... 12 miles plus is long way ....  <<KGL states the bl**ding obvious>>    .... and don't you usually do your runs earlier in the day?

You must be a true Olympian!  Didn't one of the boat team get sick  after his mammoth effort?

Perhaps you were just a bit under the weather....image  another good run under your belt though ...image

• Options

Feeling much better now, I have'nt caught up with meals yet, just been grazing but hopefully it was a one off.

CC2 - the gel must be a suspect, I did'nt fancy carrying half a sachet around with me and there was no where to dispose of it so I hesitated and took the lot so I could put the empty sachet in my pocket.  I will try it again because during the run I felt fine, perhaps the combination of gel and recovery drink was too much as I usually only run with water - this is going to be trial and error.  I'll warn anyone running with me if I'm using it so they can stand well clear!!

KGL - For a long run it was late in the day for me, I hadn't eaten anything for a least two hours before the run so I thought that I should be fine, i didn't even drink much wine the night before. It was probably just one of those things, time will tell.

Rest day yesterday but having spent the day in London must have walked a good 20 miles. Another rest day today will sit at my desk and not move, prepare for tommorrow's speed seession, will likely be an early start.

• Options

Glad you're feeling better Sue, those gels are a bit of a "hit or miss" for me too.

More often than not they go right through me - if you know what I mean. I'm not sold on them I have to admit. I much prefer jelly babies!!!  You don't *have* to use everything they send us so perhaps have a another go and if you feel any discomfort again sack them off.

• Options

Thanks Jason

It could have been the dodgy bacon, I will try the gels again because I've never used  them before and I can't be sure they were to blaim but perhaps there not for me. 

I'll go back to jelly beans, I have a big unopened tub on the dresser or even cake which Guy and I have a preference for.

Hope you had a good holiday