Lucozade Sport Super Six: Bryan the Snail

Comments

• Did you pass a drugs test after taking all that coke last night BtS? image

Well done on the race - it was muggy and not good for racing today oop north....

• Hi Bryan.

the cryptic message passed over my head as per normal. Switzerland? I have entered my first 10k race 2 wks on wed. If I was told now I'd get a 1hr 3min time I would be chuffed certainly with it being as warm as it is. Well done BtS and good luck next week with the house hunt. DT image.

• Good run Bryan

as you say, about where you would expect to be at this stage of the schedule.

It looks as if you were slightly too fast early on, but i'm sure you will be able to maintain that pace throughout once the fitness has increased.

• OK - today I have been naughty.

Steve advised a brisk walk today as I am currently carrying a shoulder injury so have not been biking.

Started off today skipping breakfast then having an ice cream sundae for lunch when my other half phoned from her bike ride wanting to be rescued at the ice cream shop.  Dropped her off at home then went for the shopping.  As I was pushing the trolley round the shop a pack of custard doughnouts fell into it and I was forced to eat 3 of them when I got home so that I was fuelled for my "brisk walk".

Went out for my brisk walk which accidentally turned into a 30 minute Ironman shuffle of 13 minute miles, then when I got home found that I needed to go back to the shop to get Marmite for stepdaughter to take to Canada tomorrow.  I decided to get my bike out, and if I was going to get on my bike I may as well have a slow potter round to see how my shoulder felt.  I ended up doing a 20-30mins loop on the cycle path at 17-20mph. My shoulder was niggling but I don't think I have made it any worse.

Tomorrow is a rest day - I will keep repeating to myself "This is a rest day".

• lol Bryan - sounds like you have the same problem with rest days that I do...I love that walk turning into a shuffle *giggles*
  • Well at least you have owned up Bryan!

Ref your comments on my thread - I think we are at quite different stages so we shouldn't compare although I know it's difficult not to.....    You have the endurance - obvious from the number of donuts you can eat in one session!   Whereas I have a good fitness base (for an old bird) but need to build endurance. It will be interesting to see how both our progressions pan out.....

• Vicki - trust me, this is not normal behaviour for  me. 

I think it is the added pressure that I now have a publicised target and am aware that I need to put in a lot of work to reach it.  There are one or two people who might notice if I fail so I had better try to put the effort in.

• LOL at the accidental custard doughnuts! I find that chocolate croissants find their way into my trolley somehow, as if by magic. Especially ones from the reduced price section.
  • You need to put work in but important not to push too early and get injured. A rest day will do you good but sure what you did today won't have caused any harm.
  •  Hi BtS. Debbo has put me on to this thread. Good luck, and hope your shoulder settles soon.

• Hi FF, welcome to the thread - It has been a little while since we saw you.

Ok - I knew that eventually I would start to get problems with my back and today seems to be the day. 

For those that aren't aware (those that have heard this before please skip to the next para) I managed to give myself a back injury in 2004 which led to neurosurgery in time for christmas 2005.  In the interim I was struggling to walk more than 100yards and popping enough painkillers so that my feet didn't have to touch the ground in the first place.  The surgery was succesful enough that I managed to get through an Ironman last November (only just) but I still go through bad times which can prevent me training for anything from a day to a couple of weeks and have to take too many painkillers too frequently.

I had intended doing my training run this morning but my back is giving me a little discomfort (Ok - that's an understatement - It's complaining like Victor Meldrew at the moment).  It may improve, in which case I will venture out this evening or alternately will try to juggle the schedule to either do back to back runs Wednesday and Thursday, or skip the Saturday run and go for Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.  The problem with doing any of this is that I am going to be spending a significant amount of time driving over the next few days and sitting in a car does not do my back any favours. 

Well nobody said it was going to be easy did they?

I will keep you posted with what I decide to do.

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭

image arrrrgghhh Bryan that's tough mate! My wife suffers from a slipped disc which "pops out" from time to time. I know from her that sitting in a car is rubbish for her back. Fingers crossed yours will improve significantly and that the car journey doesn't cause you too much pain!

These things are sent to try us! I'm sure you're made of stronger stuff though...  the IM badge of honour proves that image

• Bad luck Bryan but you're right to rest it.  I had two slipped discs about 8 years ago now so I understand how painful it can get if you don't look after it..  Luckily I don't have  problem now.....

• eeeeek Bryan, take care of that back. That'll teach you for eating donuts and then going on the bike image
  • I can testify to Bryan''s doughnut-eating skills, as I saw him demolish a whole pack of 4 before Helsby halfmarathon in January - but there was a reasonable carbo-loading excuse there.
  • Hope your back is OK Bryan. Don't do anything to make it worse. Rest is always the best option if there's any possibility of doing damage.
  • Here's hoping you're 'back' to training soon. Take care of yourself.

• Best to rest now than make it worse and lose more days later.

Hope it clears up quickly, or at least reduces sufficiently for you to get some running in. Good luck.

• Bryan the Snail - hello  image

I've just been reading your thread and it's really funny (obviously I don't mean the recent stuff about your back  image).  Best of luck with all your training (I'm optimistically hoping for a 2hr GNR this year too).

I really hope the back injury doesn't cause you too many problems with your training.

• Hi Bryan

Sorry to hear about your back, that's frustrating.  Hope your feeling better soon, just make sure you take it easy.

• OK – I am now down in Engerlandshire and time to bring you up to date.

I decided not to risk my back running yesterday and my plan for this week is run tonight, Friday and Sunday all being well.

Today has been interesting – set my alarm to get up bright and early so that I could finish packing the car for the trip and then pick my wife up from her work when she finished her nightshift, thereafter head south for meeting with nutritionist and onwards to the Deep South.  There was however one minor problem which I didn’t discover until I woke up this morning.  The clock was showing the time when I was supposed to be sitting patiently outside my wife’s work waiting for her to come out and spread some sunshine into my day and I had not set my alarm correctly (it is on a new phone and I later found that I had set it for the wrong day).  Phoned my wife to give her the news and proceeded scrambling about to get organised – it was obvious from her tone that what I could expect from her had very little to do with sunshine.  As usual when you are late things never go smoothly and it took four attempts juggling things about before I got both her bikes and the rest of the luggage packed, and then set sail through the rush hour traffic to pick her up.

Had a great meeting with the nutritionist who thinks my diet is absolutely fine.  That is what I thought she said – Debbo assures me that what she actually said is that I have to eat more protein and oily fish (has she seen the price of oil these days???), eat more fruit and vegetables in particular berries green vegetables and nuts (and no pastry and bakery based products do not count!!!), replace my alcohol intake with the occasional glass of red wine (this may not be too bad do you know how many occasions there are to celebrate today), and finally increase my fluid intake (see the last point – enough said!!).

• And finally to today’s sport news.  The Snail returned to training tonight venturing out for a run alongside the Trent/Mersey Canal.  The schedule suggested this should be a 10 minute warm up followed by four 5 minute sessions at 9-9.30 pace then a 10 minute cool down.  Having found that the towpath was not the flat smooth surface that he expected The Snail persevered completing the exercise as follows
    10 min     12’15”/mile              128bpm (surely something wrong here it is usually higher getting out of a chair)
    5 min       9’14”                         162
    5 min       9’32”                         168
    5 min       9’23”                         168
    5 min       9’18”                         170
    10 min    13’06”                        153
    To say that I was knackered would be an understatement although it was only a 45 min session I reckon that is the hardest I have worked in a long time and I was really hanging on for the 5 minutes to finish.  I had to extend the recovery from 2’00” to 2’30” for the last two efforts.  The only thing that kept me hanging on for the end of the faster sections was the knowledge that if I didn't finish this session it would make future sessions and attaining my target all the harder.

Here’s hoping that tomorrow I can still walk.

• Great run there Bryan.

I hope this means the back is getting better.

Thanks for the link the other day, but when I tried to lunch it my company internet police crashed my PC and sent a warning that I was being monitored. I hope it was some thing tasty.

I have to agree with Shielsy, your thread is a great read image.

Young Skywalker D.T.

• Great effort Bryan - I have to venture outside for my speed session next week so might try the canal for a nice straight and flat run......

Where in Engerlander are you moving to?

• Excellent effort Brian. Hope you don't pay for it tomorrow.
  • I will see how the back copes today as we troop round estate agents in Stafford.  (Is it just me that finds it strange how we refer to things in the third party ie "the back" as opposed to "my f&£$n b#~!^din back"?)

Dump Truck I will repost on your thread but the link should have taken you to the forum thread for Ironman Switzerland - your work interweb police might be a shade overzealous - unless of course they know something about  Runnersworld, Ironman or Switzerland that we don't.

• Stafford? I will be in Stafford tomorrow tea time,  will look out for you pacing the streets  image  we'll virtually be neighbours - how scary is that!!

• I heartily agree about increasing the wine intakeimage.

Hope your back is OK after that session.

• some say you wine too much anyway.

Don't overdo it Friday. (the running, not the red wine)

• Sorry to hear about your back Bryan - hope it managed to hold out for the house hunting today!

Well done on yesterdays session too!  *sending healing vibes your way* though the red wine antioxidants may be a little help in the right direction image