Lucozade Sport Super Six: Bryan the Snail

Comments

• My nutritionist should be really proud of me.  Last night I went out for a meal with Crashie and Squishy (why does that always remind me of Ren and Stimpy?) and had Grilled Sardines with Raspberry and Walnut Salad - oily fish, red berries and nuts in one dish - result!!!
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/BtSnail/SJLQmkOXvjI/AAAAAAAAEcg/RGBl6bvnUzQ/s400/IMAG0001%5B1%5D.jpg

I shall run this evening - 2 bachelor pads to view today then on to my sisters in Branston before my run then to Lichfield for the weekend to support some forumites doing a Double Ironman, one of whom is currently having an excited conversation with his bike.
  • Brief post because I am using my phone while supporting at Double Ironman.
    Did my run last night - still struggling to maintain a constant pace - from memory I did
    10mins 10'15"
    10mins 9'40" (had to speed up to maintain pace so decided to go fast until I got to canal boat - didn't realise it was moving)
    10mins 10'20"
    10mins 10'40"
    5mins 12'30" (felt cream crackered)

Will update tomorrow's run on Monday.
  • Good run Brian.......... have a good weekend in Lichfield, you're getting closer and closer to me!

• Hi Bryan

A Double Ironman, I can't imagine anybody being able to do that, recently supported a friend doing an Olympic Distance Triathlon and was full of awe.

Good running hope the backs feeling a lot better. Enjoy your week-end.

• That dish sounded/looked lovvvvvvvely image Congrats on having something so full of goodness.
  • well run Bryan. Hope aches aren't too bad
  • Goo running Bryan. hope you're ok today.
  • Ditto with Jason that looks top grub. The fish should help lubricate your joints- how is the back? It doesn't seem to be slowing you down.

I ran for 65mins none stop last night, the longest time on my legs since waiting for my passport at Liverpool passport office 12yrs ago. Bloody stiff today image.

There is nothing wrong with talking to your bike or am I loosing it too?

D.T.

• There's nothing wrong with talking to a bike image

Thsnks for all your help over the weekend...but now it's my turn to make you consume Bovril and Gaviscon image

• I have managed to commandeer my brother-in-law's computer to bring things up-to-date.

Spent an entertaining weekend in Lichfield with a crowd of similarly excited pirate supporters.

The scintillating conversation began at 6.00am as they proceeded to set off to swim 304 lengths of the swimming pool.

"Oh look, there is GOM swimming that way."  "Wow that's amazing because there's Crashie swimming this way."  "Oh GOM has turned round......." etc.

We then adjourned to a car park where we watched them cycle in roughly once an hour, stuffed some food into them and watched them cycle out 16 times.  Cue excited conversation "There's a bloke on a bike."  "Wow that's amazing 'cause I saw a bloke on a bike just a few minutes ago." "Do you think there will be another bloke on a bike soon?" ......etc.

Some started to see sense and thought that they should quit before they went completely insane, others were already bonkers but were forced to withdraw through either injury or the threat from their supporters of severe bodily harm being inflicted upon them.  Some managed to dodge the various threats and misfortunes and completed the event .... and so did some of the competitors.

All in all it was not a gripping spectacle, and required a lot of endurance to stay awake pandering to the needs of the various athletes.  I am glad I was there but don't relish the prospect of going back.

Huge congratulations to all who took part, but please don't rush back to try and better this years performance.

• So that took care of Saturday and Sunday - I was too far gone on Sunday to even think of running so I did my long run this morning.

Schedule says 75 mins at 11'00" to 12'00" per mile.

Watch says  79mins at 11'17" per mile.  The breakdown is as follows:-
    Mile 1          11'52"             129bpm
    Mile 2          11'04"             144bpm
    Mile 3          11'09"             146bpm
    Mile 4          11'10"             150bpm
    Mile 5          11'09"             155bpm
    Mile 6          11'13"             158bpm
    Mile 7          11'13"             163bpm

In the main it felt reasonably comfortable but I did notice my heart rate creeping up towards the end.  I wondered about slowing down to let it drop but decided to maintain the pace as I didn't think it would go much higher.

My diet over the weekend has mainly consisted of muesli, bacon rolls, and cheese rolls, followed by a substantial plate of chilli at my sisters and I was then forced to help her reduce the amount of dessert she had left from a party on Saturday night.  Hydration has been mostly coffee and beer.

Maybe when I get back to Edinburgh I can get my diet back on track. 

Training this week shall again consist of juggling the schedule to go out Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. with a possible excursion on Saturday morning before I prepare for my long run by attending a 50th birthday party.

• Great pacing Bryan. Easing into it first mile and then very even. The heart rate suggests you need more of them though.

Rest up tomorrow.

• My training schedule has suffered a setback.

I got back to Edinburgh last night and did some damage to my back unloading the car so will not be running today.  It feels like a pulled muscle but I am getting compensatory pains from the muscles round about as they try to relieve some of the strain.

So for the next day or so I will not be training, will be taking plenty of painkillers and kicking my heels while I wait for it to improve.

This is not a new experience for me, it is however worse than it has been for some time.  I will pick up the training as soon as possible.

I reckon when I get back to it (which will hopefully be within a few days) I will probably have to concentrate on speedwork and  the longer weekend runs so may have to juggle the schedule a little.

• Sorry to hear that Bryan. You had been getting some good sessions in too... hopefully nothing too serious - hope your back running soon, take care
  • That's bad news Bryan. I hope you mend quickly. I'm sure Steve can juggle for you to help you get back on schedule. good luck.
  • Take it easy Bryan. And stop doing silly things like unloading cars for goodness sake.
  • I don't see the point in putting any pressure on you to do any sessions. All you need to do is rest, get the back sorted and then ease back gently.

I think you need to get some fairly easy runs on your return, which hopefully won't be too lomg, and then ease back into the schedule, maybe next week.

Hope it's just a temporary thing.

Good luck on a quick and pain-free return.

• Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the advice which I fully intend to follow. If we are talking single malt's count me in. Can you get nicked for being drunk in charge of a pair of trainers image ?

I have run home from the pub a few times and it seems like your doing 100mph but the House Special curry and rice take a battering.

Bad luck on the back going again. We could take a wheelchair to the GNR and take it in turns to push. Plus it will give us some thing to carry the alcohol round on image.

Take care DT.

• Hi Bryan,

Sorry to hear that your not feeling so good, as with DT a few days rest won't make any difference but be careful and re-start your training schedule nice and gently. 

I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon.

• Take it easy Bryan - I had slipped discs about 8 years ago so I know how painful and frustrating a bad back can be.   It's so easy to end up back where you started by doing too much too soon but you need to get fit, with your Iron man experience, I am relying on you to drag me round behind you on a pair of roller skates!  image

Hope the househunting is going well.   Take care x 

• How's the resting going Bryan? I hope the enforced inactivity isn't getting you down?
  • Bryan - don't be a gaylord!

If you cant run then turbo, if you cant turbo then sit on a recliner type bike at the gym. Just get your fat ass moving.

Love

IMS 

• Today I has runned.  I had planned to go out yesterday but didn't get back from Aberdeen until almost bedtime so that was that snookered.

Did the 90 minute set which was scheduled for yesterday so splits were

Mile 1          11'26"             155bpm
    Mile 2          11'20"             157bpm
    Mile 3          12'06"             159bpm  (not sure why this was so slow)
    Mile 4          11'38"             163bpm
    Mile 5          11'45"             164bpm
    Mile 6          11'25"             163bpm
    Mile 7          11'41"             163bpm
    Mile 8          11'24"             166bpm

I am now (2 hours afterwards) starting to feel it in my back so will be looking after it and not taking any chances tomorrow.

Steve - as long as my back is holding up I was planning to do the speed session from last Tuesday this Wednesday, and the speed session from this Tuesday on this Friday (do you need to be a Time Lord to work all that out) and then the long run on Sunday as scheduled, hopefully therafter I should get back on the schedule.  Does this sound sensible?

• IMS thank you for reminding me about fat asses.  I did step on the scales today.

I have a major problem with our scales - you have to enter a user number, which you have already programmed with your age, sex and height and whether you have an athletic physique or not (that will be a no then).  The scales then take a few minutes to invent some figures which are meant to be informative.  Like I have lost about a kilo and a half but my percentage body fat has gone up from 21.8% to 22.1% and my percentage water has gone up from 51.4% to 53.2% and I need 1946 calories a day and I am aged 44.  They even have a memory so that you can go back and double check the figures because they were so hard to believe the first time round.

In the old days the scales would have simply said "You're a fat b@st@rd" and I would have believed them.

Now they are trying to tell me that I have lost weight but gained fat and water and worse still I have already told them how old I am but they don't believe me and tell me I am younger.  I am sorry, they have lost all credibility by doing that.  Anyway, who needs to know all that rubbish- what I really need to know is that I have lost the equivalent of 8 doughnuts and 4 whiskys, I can then stay ahead of the game by having 4 doughnuts and 2 whiskys.

Speaking of which I had a rather nice Bowmore and a 27year old Springbank at the weekend, so I just need to find a shop that sells packs of 4 doughnuts now.

• Thanks for the messages of support everybody
  • welcome back to running - a good steady run - hope you don't get too bad a reaction on your back.

Yes your plan of swapping around seems ok.

• Great to see you back Bryan - you get around a bit don't you!!   I threw my scales away over a year ago and went back to the old fashioned way ..... "does my bum look big in this?"   image
  • Bryan - those scales are pants, the only reliable thing they'll tell you is your weight. If that's going down then things are going OK.

p.s. you could have stopped the car and gone for a run, your excuses are poor! 

• IMS -

You have met my wife.  Can you imagine the reaction if I had stopped outside Forfar and said "Just you sit here and amuse yourself darling and I will be back soon. You will then have the pleasure of sitting beside me for rest of the journey to Edinburgh while I stink up the car and sweat enough to make the inside as wet as the outside." 

I probably wouldn't have been able to train for years afterwards.

• Good to hear you had a cracking run BtS. Glad you're back to it. I hope your back isn't playing up too much today and good luck with the plans this week.