Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Bryan the Snail

Comments

• Options
    Bryan, I'd have thought she'd be super keen to get some training in!
  • Options
    Todays training was brought to you courtesy of a load of painkillers, a dodgy gps signal, and an old git with a beetroot red face.

Schedule says (last weeks Tuesday run) - 10 mins warm-up, then 8 x 2 mins at 5K pace (8:45 - 9:00) with 1-min recoveries, then 10 mins cool-down.

Watch says:-
    10'20"       11'20"mpm    151bpm
    2'03"  5k      5'07"mpm    167bpm (surely shum mishteak)
    1'04"  r      14'27"mpm    168bpm
    2'00"  5k       8'08"mpm     174bpm
    4'13"  r      25'06"mpm     153bpm (I couldn't get a signal - that's my excuse and I am sticking to it)
    2'02"  5k      9'02"mpm     171bpm
    2'18"  r      13'08"mpm      165bpm (Ok - maybe it wasn't just the signal that was struggling)
    2'02"  5k     9'35"mpm      174bpm (Definitely not just the signal then)
    1'17"  r     14'36"mpm      166bpm
    2'01"  5k     9'00"mpm      170bpm (Getting better)
    1'46"  r      18'57"mpm      158bpm (I am now walking to recover)
    2'00"  5k     8'23"mpm      172bpm (must have benefited from the walk)
    1'19"  r        5'32"mpm      168bpm (I don't believe this one at all)
    1'59"  5k     8'55"mpm      173bpm
    1'29"  r      17'26"mpm     164bpm (That's more believable)
    2'00"  5k     8'36"mpm      175bpm (Heart rate maxed on 188 - I am sure I heard voices
                                                                 shouting "Charging to 200. Stand clear")
    11'13"      12'37"mpm     164bpm

I am definitely not looking forward to yesterday's session.  Now I know that generally it is impossible to look forward to yesterday, but as I am doing yesterday's session on Friday that actually makes some sort of sense.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    IMS - I am keen to train, but it's hard to run that slowly ; - )
  • Options
    well done - great and very encouraging session (though obviously a few transmission problems unless your painkillers really work and take the pain away from feeling speed!)  and a good workout for the heart.
  • Options

Well done on that session BtS, hope it's the first of many without problems.

How do you keep going on painkillers? Mine make me so tired I can't do anything after I've taken them.

• Options

Roslyn,

I was taking elephant doses of painkillers for so long that I have built up a tolerance for them.  I was on a regular high dose for an extended period which played havoc with my ability to think straight.  Now I have an option of which strength of painkiller (ie how much codeine) I take and only take them when I need them. I know if I need the high strength one I shouldn't train but would still do an event.  Most days I can get by with a couple of low strength painkillers in the morning and nothing the rest of the day.  On a very few days I take none at all.  Today I am just about to have my second lot but am trying to stay away from the stronger doses (my in-laws have arrived to stay for a couple of weeks so I will have to keep my wits about me).  

• Options

Anyone know any decent violin music?

As you were.

• Options

Oh good things have got a bit more interesting image.

Really pleased to hear you're able to get back out training BtS. But get a new GPS for goodness sake!

Do we need to have a whip round?

• Options

Waff,

It was enough of a struggle getting round the training without being whipped at the same time.

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

it is possible to train without a gps - I don't have one - I have a few landmarks that I know, and bridges to remember, and gmap-pedometer to measure the distance

• Options
    Having decided that Friday is the new Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday did not exist this week, Saturday has been cancelled due to lack of interest and been replaced by Friday (before it became the new Tuesday obviously), todays training was as follows.

Schedule says (this Tuesday's run) - 10 mins warm-up, then 12 x 1 min at 5K pace (8:45 - 9:00) with 30-sec recoveries (2 sets of 6 with 2-min recovery between), then 10 mins cool-down

Watch says:-
    11'23"  12''04"mi  128h
    0’58"   7'36"mi  154h
    33"  13’48"mi  155h
    1'01"  3'22"mi  166h   **
    33"  11'56"mi  165h
    1'01"  7'56"mi  165h
    31"  16'22"mi  163h
    1'01"  7'51"mi  164h
    40"  18'15"mi  163h
    1'01"  7'52"mi  163h
    30"  2'38"mi  165h  **
    1'01"  7'56"mi  165h
    2'01"  18'57"mi  146h
    1’01"   7'24"mi  151h
    35"  15’51"mi  162h
    1'00"  8'11"mi  162h
    31"  17'01"mi  166h
    1'00"  8'05"mi  164h
    31"  16'11"mi  166h
    1'00"  8'06"mi  166h
    32"  18'55"mi  168h
    1'01"  7'47"mi  166h
    30"  18'19"mi  168h
    1'03"  8'15"mi  166h
    12'20"  12'27"mi  155h
  • Options
    Before setting out I was less than confident about what appeared to be a killer session.  In fact I was starting to wonder how much of my insurance money Debbo had promised Steve when he prepared the training plan, but what better way was there to go than in a pool of sweat in a local park.  Actually…. come to think about it…… there are a lot of better ways to go than….

Looking at the figures I reckon that the lines marked ** definitely indicate that the Olympic selectors have missed a golden opportunity.

What is worrying is that I have consistently failed to hit the target of 8’45” to 9’00” per mile, I am however getting pretty good at judging when a minute of torture is going to end.  It is also a bit more encouraging that my heart rate stayed a bit lower tonight.
  • Options

Bit confused by the days, but well done BtS, you're doing really well.

Now.... how about these donuts?..........

• Options

What day is it? I'm confused!

• Options

Good session BtS. I'm totally unable to follow your timings and details, for some reason I just get overwhelmed by the numbers!! But I can see it wasn't half bad. So if tomorrow has been cancelled, what's replaced it?

• Options

That was a good session Brian ... and I agree, mine was a killer session also!   I'm frightened to look at next Tuesday!!

• Options

I'm not sure what day it is myself as being confused from being on Beijing time while in London, but your session was really good in terms of speed even if you were a few days late!

I think that's the most encouraging session you've done, even if it was slightly quick.

• Options

(hijacks thread)

mwah

Bryan the ex-plodder snail?

good luck mate

will now read start of thread and maybe post something relevant

(ends thread hijack)

• Options
    I have hopefully stopped switching days about and actually managed to do a run as scheduled.

Schedule says:  1:45 slow (11:00 - 12:00).

Watch says:
    Mile  1   11'15"mi    139♥
    Mile  2   10'56"mi    152♥
    Mile  3   11'02"mi    155♥
    Mile  4   11'07"mi    155♥
    Mile  5   12'29"mi    161♥
    Mile  6   11'15"mi    160♥
    Mile  7   11'27"mi    156♥
    Mile  8   11'04"mi    158♥
    Mile  9   11'38"mi    162♥
    Mile 10   11'29"mi    165♥

Total Time 1:53 Average Pace 11'23"mi  Average Heart 156♥
  • Options
    So anything doing today BtS?
  • Options
    Ooooh, how do you do the little black hearts?
  • Options

Overall that doesn't look too bad, however....

I was tootling along fine enjoying the run until mile 8.  At this stage I could feel I was running out of gas so changed from my initial planned route to head for home.  Unfortunately this meant that the last couple of miles were uphill and I really struggled.  Eventually stopped the clock at 10 miles with about 400yds to go to get home and hobbled home from there.

Tomorrow is a rest day and right this minute I feel that I need it.  This week has seen, what is for me, three hard runs - hopefully as I improve these will become easy runs and I will recover from them quicker.

• Options

Just shows how slow a typist I am - two messages in the time it takes me to do a brief summary.

CC2 - cut and paste is your friend - black hearts can be found in the symbols in 'Word' copy them from there.  I did my message in notepad and then pasted the hearts in from word - if you try to do it directly from word it copies in a whole load of hidden formatting which makes your message too long.  Hopefully now you can copy them from my message without all the hassle I had.

• Options

Hi Bryan, I'm with Roslyn on the number confusion. Took 5mins to work out the time spent running and rests. I have 2 x 10mins @ half marathon pace tomorrow but I haven't a clue what pace that is. Any ideas?

Great to see you are back on GMT instead of having Thursdays on Sundays image.

• Options
    Some consistent running recently Bryan! Like the others I've no idea where you're up to now... or what day of the week it is anymore. Glad to see you're running freely at the minute... long may it continue image
  • Options
    Bryan good consistent pace on your long run - you look like you are getting fitter all the time.
  • Options

Still alive? Obviously not training hard enough!

Remember - What would Paula do? 

• Options
    Depends on whether the GNR was in Athens or Beijing.
  • Options
    There is a run scheduled for tonight so I might be able to remedy the query about whether or not I am alive.