Lucozade Sport Super Six: Bryan the Snail

Comments

• Nice run BtS. How's the back?
  • You are doing well BTS.

I'm trying to follow your schedule too but don't know what to do this week!!! Come on RW please update the schedules!

• I have been time travelling again.  Thursdays run was done tonight(Friday) after spending the past 2 days driving around the country.  I am contemplating changing my name to Bryan (Tennant) Snail.

All this mucking about with days can get a bit confusing I only hope I get the correct day for the GNR.  Mind you .... if I ran it on the Saturday it would be less crowded and I might get round easier. 

As it is I have received my number and I am starting in Zone D.  This means that I will start, and, given my current abilities, finish behind the...

8 hippos, assorted fruits, sundry Supermen, Spidermen and Elvis impersonators...

the shift from 'C' division dressed as convicts, with the exception of the probationer who has been stripped naked, painted blue and tied to the four-poster bed they are all pushing...

and don't forget the 34 checkout operators from the local Fresco, who, including Michael and Derek, are all dressed in pink tutus, basques, fairy wings and deely boppers and are walking in a line across the road with linked arms, with however the exception of Big Aggy who refuses to be typecast and has come dressed as a navvy and is shaking down any poor unsuspecting spectator who isn't quick enough to get away for any loose change to fill her bucket.

Enough frivolity..

Schedule said 45 minutes with the middle 15mins at half marathon pace.  I had a cunning plan and decided to do the first 15 minutes marginally uphill and turn round for the next 15 to run downhill - overall descent - 70 feet - well every little helps.

Watch said
    15'40"     11'13"M     5.3mph     149♥(Average)
    15'00"       8'57"M     6.6mph     176♥(Average)
    16'40"     12'26"M    4.8mph      160♥(Average)

On reflection I don't think that was quite what Steve meant by half marathon pace, at least not at this stage, and if I were to do it again I might take it a bit easier.  In my defence I will say that it was dark and I couldn't make out the readout on my watch so was just trying to go quite fast - that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!  A check of the data recorder revealed that my heart rate went from 160♥ at the start of the "15" to a peak of 188♥ - probably a bit too high for a half marathon pace methinks.

• Hi Brian

Sorry to hear you're getting withdrawal symptoms - I'll try and remember to stock up on donuts for the drive up to Sheffield! image

Everyone's training is going so well!  I feel quite left out ...... better get off and find my mojo....image

• 8.57/mile pace seems damn good going Bryan. Congrats on the zone D placing too.

Maybe you could get a kiddies backpack from the Spongebob series, with garry the snail on it so we all know it's you?

• Mor, bus, lat... ©Radio Worcestershire

Yesterday 30 mins    11'56"M       2.75M      136♥

Today 100mins at 10'00" - 11'00" - will let you know 

• I've no idea what that last post is supposed to mean but I am sure it must be good!
  • You were certainbly moving well on the belated Thursday session.

More bus lat @ radio worcestershire certainly says it all.

• Translation of the previous post:-

Good MORning gentlefolk.   Unfortunately I am BUSy and hence am unable at this point in time to pass the day exchanging pleasantries.   I will endeavour to make time for you LATer in the day, but please for the meantime accept my most humble apologies. (This is used frequently on the Radio Worcestershire thread and may even be abbreviated to MBL.)

Yesterday was 30 mins easy  which was completed at an average pace of 11'56" per mile, for a total distance of  2.75M at an average heart rate of 136♥.

Today I am scheduled for a 100 minute excursion at between 10'00" and 11'00" per mile.  I will update the thread at some point after my return so that you will be aware of my progress.

So todays run:-
      1M   11'31"/M    140♥
      2M   10'50"/M    149♥
      3M   11'09"/M    148♥
      4M   10'44"/M    150♥
      5M   10'44"/M    148♥
      6M   10'42"/M    151♥
      7M   11'15"/M    155♥
      8M   10'39"/M    157♥
      9M   10'44"/M    155♥
    0.2M   10'19"/M    156♥
    Slight discrepancy between the Nike+ band (which now seems to have a damaged display as a result of the rain) and my watch.  Nike says distance 9.25M and pace 10'52".  "Ticker, Ticker" (obscure advertising reference to competitor whose product I normally use) says distance 9.2M,  pace 10'54", and average heart 150♥.

Comments - I felt reasonably happy with that but was having a few problems caused either by last nights's curry or going out the door to run too soon after my muesli (I am considering a case to the Human Rights Courts relating to the consumption of Rabbit Food instead of a proper fried breakfast on Sundays).  I could have gone faster but was making a deliberate effort to keep my heart rate down and stay within the parameters set by Steve.  I am still finding it difficult judging pace, especially when the GPS signal is a bit inconsistent and did find that the pace readout on the Nike+ was helpful when the GPS was telling me i was running at 27 minutes per mile.

Supposed to be going up to the Fireworks Concert in Princes Street Gardens tonight for a pleasant picnic, glass or two of Cava, and some hot chocolate with whisky in it.  We may have to wear wetsuits the way things are looking at the moment.
  • Good running BS. I'd go with what Nike says as its quicker. Enjoy the cava and hot chocolate

• My sentiments exactly Steve - I don't think these Garmins are all they are cracked up to be image

I'm going to see if my Nike plus thingy says I'm going quicker as soon as my lap top is fixed!

Thanks for the translation Brian!  I've lived a very sheltered life .....   

• Looking good, Bryan...

( in an 'all chaps together, manly backslapping' way, naturally...)

• Bryan that is know as Bryan! Thats a solid looking long run there yesterday! Curry's are fine I reckon - although Thai-green ones are probably worth avoiding (as I found to my cost on one occasion).
  • Bryan,  could you drop me an email if you don't manage to get hold of my on my mobile re arrangements for Sunday.  I am out tomorrow and most of Wednesday so don't worry if I don't answer but you should get me on Thursday or Friday!  My mobile no is also on the bottom of my e mails....

• Tracy,

Yes - I was planning to get in touch tomorrow, but will leave it toThursday.  I will email my number.

• You'll have to make sure you wear one of your hats or I won't recognise you!!
  • Hi Bryan

GYR number arrived today, also Lucozade kit so we're all ready to go.

Thinking of changing my Garmin, its not as reliable as it used to be, will try new battery first as Roslyn suggested. My Nike Sportsband always says I'm running faster so I can't rely on it yet and I can't read it on these now dark evening runs.

• GYR number and kit were delivered to my shell this morning.

I didn't expect a running vest - I said I was an XL top as I am used to running in a short sleeved top - I haven't tried the vest but fear (should that be hope?) that it may look a bit big on me.  I do think that the kit bag looks like the canine testicles.

I will run later but may be struggling for time to post times etc.

• Sue,

I don't know much about Garmins except that my wife had one which disappeared from a window ledge in Lewes where she had left it to acquire a signal.

I use the Timex Ironman Bodylink system and am reasonably happy with it.  I suspect it is the same basic technology but .... WARNING GEEK TALK AHEAD ... I suspect both Timex and the early Garmins use SiRF star II chipset which is less reliable and more power hungry than the new SiRF star III chipset which is apparently fitted in the Garmins ending in a 5 i.e. 205, 405 etc.

• Woww!! Impressed.

Just need to save my pennies now or possible 50th Birthday present

• Quick post - got to pack and catch a train soon.

Yesterdays run was allegedly 10 mins warm-up, then 5 x 1000m at 10K pace (in approx 5:30) with 90-sec recoveries, then 10 mins cool-down.

Watch says:-
    Warm-up  10'30"    7'40"/k    132♥
     1k   5'21"/k    161♥
      2k   5'35"/k    168♥
      3k   5'22"/k    169♥
      4k   5'40"/k    170♥
      5k   5'21"/k    172♥
    Cool-down 11'45"  7'00"/k    161♥

Overall    58'00"  9k at 6'35"/k   158♥

There wasn't much of a slope but 1,3 and 5 were vaguely downhill,  2 and 4 vaguely uphill.

I had been dreading this session, for some reason it looked more difficult than it turned out to be.  Before I started I half-expected to run out of gas round about 4k but managed to keep going to the end.  I was having some problems finding a comfortable running posture and just couldn't seem to loosen off at all. I am going to have to watch that over the next couple of days to make sure it doesn't get worse.

• I don't have computer access for the next few days so won't be posting much.
  • well done Brian - good session - spot on the targets and 1, 3 and 5 were almost identical.

it confirms your speed has come on over the last few weeks.

• Damn his lack of computer access...Bryan, we need to know!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    he does have computer access, but he's very busy

have patience
  • I already have one patient, does that count? image

I am agog with anticipatory excitement regarding the boy Snail's performance image

• Brian did fab!    I know his time but I'm not going to spoil it for him ..... image
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I don't know his time - he was suitably vague, but maybe that's because I'm also a serious competitive athlete ; - )
  • I have finally managed to get an opportunity to post.

I was meant to train on Thursday but decided to can it as my back was niggling, I hadn't found a running route in Stafford yet and the weather was a touch inclement.

Oh, all right then - the main problem was CBA.

Anyway I have to confess that today I have runned.

I got up at silly 'clock and was soon picked up by KGL and headed north to Sheffield. I won't bore you with all the details which will probably (I haven't had the chance to read and confirm) have been related by my compatriots.

It was interesting to find ourselves being photographed every ten seconds. It was also interesting to find that we were Elite Athletes - well our table after the event had a sign saying it was reserved for elites so I reckon that qualifies us.

The race was a reasonable 10k although everybody made it over distance by somewhere between 300 and 600metres, but it had a lovely hill at the end which caught a lot of people out - thanks to CC2 we were forewarned and prepared.

No splits today and I didn't start my data recorder so can't really give much in the way of details. I set out for the first 5k keeping it to about 160♥ after 5k I worked up to 165♥ as I got to 8k and then started to rack it up to 170♥ to 9k and then just pushed for home. I managed to keep running up the hill as those around me ran out of steam and crossed the line with a chip time of 1'01"50. Not a PB but quite satisfying none the less.

Given the overdistance course and the hill at the end I reckon that is quite an improvement on where I was when I started out training and I am happy with it.
  • well done. It would have been a sub-hour but for the overdistance.

Agree you are making good improvement.