Lucozade Sport Super Six: keep going lass

Comments

• Tracy, how far is Walsall from Nottingham? There's a 10 miler in December that I'm eyeing up! I really want to improve on my 10 mile PB and at least in December it can't be anything like as hot as it was in July when I ran Heckington.

• That is a very good, confidence building run, and the first half while a little too quick isn't too bad. However the objective of the session was to run faster on the second half and faster than you did to see how you could cope with that sort of pace. Now we'll not know for sure before the race but find out in Newcastle!

I think if you had run just slightly slower on the first half, then you probably could have gone quicker on the second half without too much extra effort but having gone at the pace you did on the first half, it might have been a little risky to go as quick as sub 2 pace on the second half, so you did right to keep the pace even.

However from the run, we can see that you are very fit, strong, and will have little problem (if you get the space) of running a time around 2:05 - probably quicker if you pace it well.

That run, with a few easy days will mean you will be ready for a really great run next week, so while I would have preferred more control, overall a really great run well done...

I know it is wrong to limit yourself sometimes and just run as you feel and sometimes a slow pace doesn't feel natural - especially when you were really up for it mentally as well as physically.

Sometimes though a slow pace early on can bring an overall faster times. My group did 6 x 1000m reps on Tuesday - varied speeds but the quickest one was the one I held myself back for 600m - it felt unnaturally slow and I was 5-6 seconds slower than the previous 5 at that point but was so fresh over the last 400m, it ended up as my quickest by over 5 seconds.

• I agree with you Steve -  I should have kept it slower in the first half and I knew when I was running it that I wasn't doing myself any favours.   I'm annoyed with myself now for not sticking to the objective because as you say, we'll never know now!   

It's unfortunate that I haven't been used to running with someone else and I succumbed to the self imposed pressure of wanting to keeping up!  A lesson learned for next week - run your own race, whatever is going on around you.     Even so,  I am not sure about the 2:05 - seems a little optimistic!   

I realise that today's run is at least 3 miles short of what I will need to do next week so I won't be throwing caution to the wind with a too fast first half .  

A gradual increase in pace has worked well for me this far,  so I am not about to take any risks and change it now!    However, today was good for my confidence and I was still able to finish with a faster two miles, so who knows?   If I am more sensible than I was today, decide what pace I am going to run at and stick to it, I might surprise myself.....

Perhaps you could help me there?  .... and I'll zone my watch accordingly with a view to taking notice of it!  

• Whatever pace you ran today will find easier next week and the speed you finished (and your heart rate) indicates there is still more to come which is great. It's not that much further, you'll have such incentive and you'll be better rested, so I am sure you can set off at 9:15-9:30 pace and then i think you can actually pick it up but that's a decision you can make on how you feel after halfway.
  • Great report (as usual) and great run Tracy.You and Steve have done all the analysis so nothing to comment on but to say that you are super fit and will be even more pumped and ready next week!!
  • 30 minutes jog today but before I did that I went to support some friends that were running the Walsall 10K.   I decided weeks ago I wasn't going to do it as it is so close to GNR.

I wasn't there for the start, but arrived about 15 minutes before the "first backs" started coming in.  There was a 3K, 5K and 10K.    Having never spectated at one of these event before, I found it quite fascinating.  

The 3K consisted of serious runners, small children and even dogs on leads wearing a number and it was a loverly sight to see a group of half a dozen 5 or 6 year old really running their hearts out to cross the finish line and collecting their medals.

It was also comforting to see even the "elite" fast finishers looking knackered as they came up the home straight.  It's easy to forget that however advanced you are in your running, it's still relative and the winners of these events still give it their all to achieve their place on the podium.

My friends came in at 40 mins and a few seconds,  49 minutes and a few seconds but the stars of the show were di (aka, need new knees who reads this but hasn't yet posted image) and Jo who came in at around an hour and 7 minutes.  I've got some great video footage of Jo saying "I hate running" just as she approaches the finish line, but I will be in fear of my life if I were to post it here.  (although, those of  you that know where to look might just find it elsewhere.... )

This race has a reputation apparently for being poorly organised, mainly I understand becasue it isn't organised by runners.  This year, some of the 5K runners were sent the wrong way!  The excuse being that someone had moved the arrows overnight! 

How appalling is that?  Surely the marshalls should be at least driving the circuit before the race to at least make sure the signs haven't been tampered with and where were the marshalls on the route??   It must have been very frustrating for those runners that would apparently have been leading had they been directed properly and even those that aren't elite but have trained hard to compete in the event.  Dreadful state of affairs.

Anyway, Need New Knees - the challenge is on - by the Aldridge 10K next June, you are going to be capable of running it inside the hour.......... training starts a week after GNR, you, me and Jo and anyone else we can rally for the middle aged women's running club which I have just formed this morning!   No thin people or men allowed ....  image

• Now to today's run.   Left the 10K, well the pub after it actually, but I did only have a cup of coffee!   Drove to my sisters.  You may recall we did a bimble last Saturday which marked the start of my good run of runs. 30 minutes jog.  

Didn't check Steve but presume this is just a recovery run after yesterday.  

Nice gentle and steady pace which picked up a little in the middle and strangely enough felt faster than it was.   Maybe psychological because I was only "jogging" rather than psyched up for a longer paced run and again, I was focusing on making sure Cath got round for the longer time - after all we'd got that hill to negotiate again on the way back!      

I paused my watch and ran some extra a little faster on my own about two thirds of the way through so that Cath could do some video for me.  Unfortunately, we had something like 6 attempts but Cath was having difficulty understanding the difference between start the camera and stop the camera so in actual fact, we didn't get anything I could use, but we had such a laugh trying to do it, it didn't matter.    Restarted the watch and finished off the jog.

For Cath, she ran for double the time she did last week and at one point I had to tell her to slow down as she was going too fast!  Same hill as last week and we both found it easier.    There is definitely something in this tapering makes you stronger lark! 

Here are the numbers:

Time 30:14

Average HR - 150

Average Pace - 11:11

Max Pace - 9:26

Distance - 2.7 miles

Mile 1 - 11:45         avge hr 140

Mile 2 - 10:42         avge hr 152

Mile 0.7 of 3 - 7:46   avge hr 161  (avge pace 10:52)

Enjoyed it today, fresh air, light rain, good company and a good giggle......

Off to Pizza Hut now for an alternative Sunday Lunch ..... image 

• Hi Tracy i like the sound of this middle aged running club but what's this about no thin people!!
  • lol - got you out of the woodwork though didn't it ..... knew it would  image

Pleeeeeeese can I put your video on my thread?? image  You look so elegant when you run!

• this running lark is affecting you brain

• Just catching up after a few days KGL, those last couple of runs make me envious. You sound like your going to have a cracking GNR. Good luck and you had better cross that finish line with the biggest grin on your face! No excuses about being cream crackered now! image
  • Great 90 min run and recovery run yesterday Tracy. Shame I can't join your new founded running club. What about if I wear a dress,

'oh but we are Ladies'

I'll be the dumpy one with the moustache image.

• no- I'm the dumpy one with the moustache     lol  image   You can be an honourary member DT because you will cheer us all up! 

I've just done a race plan based on XL's course description (from the gnr thread) , ie, which bits are flat, hilly, downhill etc .

I've put what I though were conservative mileage splits in and it comes out at just under  2:08 based on exactly 13.1 miles, which of course it won't be but surely not!     Now what do I do, shave some off it or be ultra cautious and work it based on 2:15  imageimageimage

Better check the formulas!

Yup - they're right!

So if I run 9:30 for the first 5 miles,  10:30 on the first hill and 11:00 on the bad hill,  10s after the hill and then pick it up to 9 for the last mile I should do well inside  2:10 even allowing for over-run and still stop for a bottle of lucozade along the way lol! 

• Hmmm - Just checked ad Steve said to go off at 9:15 and then see how I feel half way  - bit different to my splits!       

My first version gives me a 48 minute 5 mile split and a 1:36 10 mile split.

Am I being a wimp Steve?    Can I really expect to run that much faster on the day??

Don't want to get hung up on time or make it complicated but I do want to pace it well so I can finish strong. 

• Afternoon all .... gone a bit quiet on here the last couple of days .... you all getting your pre run beauty sleep?

Latest speilberg production has appeared on profile page this morning, featuring my star training partner .....  

enjoy!  

I'm so excited .... imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Great video - apart from the coach quotes. I'd wish I'd made them more Shakespearian - "tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day," etc

I'll try and look at the leaders splits from past years and my own from when I did it, to work out splits. None of the hills are that hard and I think with your position near the front of the field, and the fast downhill opening mile, you have to utilise it with a reasonably quick first mile, which will give you more space later on.

This is off the top of my head from what i recall of course profile, but Something like 9:00, 9:15, 9:30, 9:45, 9:45 for your first 5 then  something like 9:30, 9:15, 9:15, 9:45, 9:45 for next 5, then 10:00, then 9:30, then 9:15 and then allow 60 which I think gives you a 2:05 - haven't checked the maths. I'll give it more time later in week.

• is that 60 minutes Steve? image  

Sorry - image

I think the Shakespeare would have been overkill - after all,  the running is poetry in motion... image    image

• Running Nirvana!!!! DID I REALLY SAY THAT?????? OMG!! I'm such a hippy!!

You really ought to work in the media - these compilation videos are fantastic!! Good for you for keeping it going too... I just ran out of steam with it in the end - not enough hours in the day!

• Afraid so Jason image

Motivational Speaking? Journalism? Media?    I'm clearly wasted in boring old financial services lol!

Glad you enjoyed it - I'm working on the grand finale now!     image

Question is, what will the end of the story be???   Perhaps I ought to edit two endings like they do in the cliffhangers for Coronation Street! image

• Well, last "harder" session tonight.   Speed session requiring:

• 15 minutes jog
    • 1 mile at half marathon pace (9:00 - 9:30)
    • 2 mins rest
    • 8 X 200 metres @ 8 minute miles (approx 1 minute) but minimum sub 9 minute mile (eek!) image
    • 1 mile at half marathon pace

I programmed the interval programme on my watch last night so I wasn't rushing around and getting it wrong which is usually the way.  The plan was that I would go up to the gym, do my jog and first half marathon mile outside and then venture back into the gym and do the speed on the treadmill, hopefully finishing off with the final mile outside, or on the treadmill depending on how I felt.

I Pod Charged, body fuel prepared, bag packed, off I went........

• Started the jog, having taken a gel and a bottle of water in hand - I'll come back for the body fuel when I'm ready to do the speed intervals.  

Decided to do the same route that I ran the very first time I ran outside on 22nd October last year - 2 mile fun run route, for the sentimental value really so I could see how I cope with it compared to then, but it does incorporate a canal bridge and a steady incline as well as some downhills and flats so a good mix.

Jogged off down the road and after about a quarter of a mile, I spotted a lady from the gym coming the other way on the other side of the road- only realised that I hadn't got my music with me when I noticed her earphones..... There was a time when I couldn't never have run without music but I hadn't even noticed!

15 minute jog finished just after the steady incline by the entrance to "do it all" so I stopped and used their gate to do some stretches.

Right - 1 mile at half marathon pace - 9:00 to 9:30 minute miling...........

• Why is it that when I hear "9 minute miles" I run 7:30 minute miles??    In my head, 9 minute miles is much faster than it really is and it took me about a quarter of a mile to get the pacing right. 

Once I was there though, it was a nice steady, rhythmic pace, slightly breathless because of the misjudged start but overall comfortable.

I think the problem is that 11 weeks ago, my first speed session was on the treadmill at 10 minute miles, my average race pace at the Chasewater 10K in July was 9:10 minute miles.  Now, 9 minute miles is a comfortable, steady and sustainable pace.........and a comfortable jog pace, as I found today is around 10:20.  how did that happen??

As completed the circuit, I ran past the gym to get the full mile in.   The problem I had next was that I didn't want to go back in!  

It was almost dark, I had just run over 2 miles and my lungs were full of cool fresh air.   It would be stuffy in the gym and if I go back in, I won't want to come back out again for the second mile if it's dark..... 

So "what's the objective of the session?"  I thought..... "Why is Steve asking me to do this - because it certainly won't be a random thing........."   Here's my analysis -

• jog - warm up
    • 1st mile - "feel" race pace but for a shorter period
    • Intervals - get speed into the legs but importantly tire me so that ....
    • last mile at race pace tests  endurance and stamina and perhaps simulates the last mile on Sunday on a shorter session.

hmmmmm, if I'm right, running the speed on the treadmill will achieve nothing.

Crossed the road and headed to the Astra Turf accross the road where I did my drills with Andy in my training last week (proud mary vid).   I can run around the pitch - that must be about 300 metres full circuit.

Problem - 5 a side football match going on one end of the pitch, kids doing football training the other.  A fair few parents, girlfrends etc  spectating from the sides, so I dithered a bit wondering what to do.......

• There was nowhere else close by suitable now it was dark.    I wandered through the gates, dithered a bit more and then thought, "sod it, just run!   If they don't like it, they'll come and tell me".   

Dropped my jumper and water bottle on the floor and  ran around the outside of the floodlit pitch, giving the players, the ball and the goalposts a wide birth!       

Did my 8 reps and 1 minute recoveries.  Watch was beeping at least half of the time to tell me that I was running faster than 8 minute miles.    Yes I did tire but I felt as though the pace was consistent throughout  and once I'd had my recovery minute, I came back stronger and smoother each time with a springier step and a longer stride.     Intervals passed really quickly.....

Couple of minutes rest and refuel (remember with water as body fuel is still in my locker with my I pod) and set off around the track for my second half marathon pace mile.    Boring - yes, but nice flat springy surface and I could focus on how fast 9 minute miles were, got there fairly easily and maintained the pace for the duration. 

Felt absolutely great when I had finished.  Again, I knew before I have even looked at my watch that I have done what I needed to and I very nearly risked messing it up by taking the easy treadmill option.....

As for the football, couple of heroic moves from one or two of the players as I passed by which made me smile but largely, nobody took any notice, I kept out of the way of the football and players and  specators and coaches kept out of the way for me.    Couple of comments such as "that looks like hard work" from the men and "you're doing really well" from the women, but otherwise it was each to his own!

I would never have had the confidence to do that even 10 weeks ago!

Here are the numbers ......  (let's hope they bear up what I've just said!)

• Jog - 15:13  mins,  1.43 miles,   avge hr 153,

avge pace 10:38, max pace 9:07, 

1st mile - 8:49 mins,   avge hr 167 

Speed Intervals

Lap 1 - 1:00                       180 metres,

Lap 3 - 1:01 ,     hr 165      190 metres,   (ended  8:23 pace)

Lap 4 -  hr 152 

Lap 5 - 1:00, hr 167,         190 metres,     (end 8:34 pace)

Lap 6 -  hr 161

Lap 7 - 1:01,  hr 167       190 metres,    (ended 8:28 pace)

Lap 8 -  hr 161       

Lap 9 - 0:59, hr 165      190 metres,    (ended 8:02 pace)

Lap 10 -  hr 158

Lap 11 - 0:54, hr 163     170 metres,  (ended 8:04 pace)

Lap 12 -  hr 165     

Lap 13 - 0:58, hr 162      170 metres,   (ended 8:24 pace)

Lap 14 -  hr 158

Lap 15 - 1:00, hr 165,      180 metres,  (ended 8:50 pace)

Lap 16: -  hr 160

2nd mile  

9:09 minutes, avge hr 168,     avge pace 9:05,  Max pace 7:09

Total miles covered - 5.11

55:34 minutes

Phew ......!    Not quite the 200 metres but I think that is to do with lack of acceleration over a short distance and of course having to turn corners on a square pitch but I am pleased with the session, not only because of the numbers but also because of the confidence it has given me in being able to maintain a pace in single figures and not worry about who is watching!!

• Great session. yes objective was to practice pace for Sunday, get some faster speed in your legs in the middle and then try and hold the pace, while more tired.

Objective achieved in last hard session prior to the race so that have should have given you confidence and satisfaction.

• Brilliant running Tracy, well done you!  You must be getting so excited?!  Hope the final prep goes well.
  • Tracy, you'll have to stop producing these brilliant videos your turning me into a blubbering wreck.

Seriously, does'nt it just show what a fantastic journey you've had and how proud you can be with all you have achieved.

Keep going lass, you try and stop her.

• Tracy you are amazing. I am so proud of how you've come on - when I first started posting on RW we were talking about us being so similar in times & suchlike & now with the training & all you are so much better! I can't wait to hear how you get on on Sunday, I am so looking forward to your report.

Enjoy the last few days build up!

• Evening everyone - well tapering has definitely started for me.......

I broke up from work today until next Wednesday and being  under orders from my Real Buzz  pals (well, one in particular) to not even dare break a finger nail, I must take all reasonable precautions to ensure such a catastrophe doesn't happen.

Having fed myself with lentil curry, cashew nuts and other healthy energy giving, strength building substances, I have filed my nails and have the whole evening ahead of me planned.   

I am sitting up in bed with laptop and a number of other accessories and ingredients, such as a burning lavender candle, phone alarm switched to off and a selection of good reads. .......

Here's a photo of my bedside table taken just a few minutes ago......

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r328/kglphotos/Picture.jpg

Get the picture??? image

I hasten to add that the blue rubber thing is so I can do my ITB exercises - just thought I'd clarify that!  LOL!

Tomorrow, I have my 30 minutes easy run,  my training session with Andy and some more bone crunching with the Osteopath.  The rest of the day, I shall be making lists and finding train tickets that I have put away "somewhere safe" ,  but in the meantime, I am off to find out how to get a firm body and think like a champion! 

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

I love you Tracy, reading your posts really brightens my day, you're hilarious!

It's been an amazing journey for you up to this point and I know that I speak for lots of others on here when I say that I feel privileged to have been able to share it with you through your amazing posts.  Your enthusiasm and positivity are so uplifting and infectious.  Often when I'm struggling out there I remind myself of your guts and determination and inspirational videos and always manage to keep myself going, whereas before I would have given in. 

I'm way too old to own a ra-ra skirt, but I'll definitely be wearing a virtual one and waving my pom-poms when you step onto the start line on Sunday morning.  I'll be glued to the telly hoping to catch a glimpse of you, and then glued to the computer for the rest of the day eager to hear how you got on!

Enjoy - and somehow I just know that you willimage