Lucozade Sport Super Six: keep going lass

Comments

• Good luck Tracy. i have been following your progress as we are at a similar place in our running. I've been training for the Birmingham half, my first, but unfortunately i've just been diagnosed with an overactive thyriod and been told not to run until it's more under control. I'm gutted but will look out for you on Sunday.

All the very best.

• Good luck on Sunday Tracy..hopefully will see you..
  • Hello Tracy,

Well your here now!  The time flew by eh!  Good luck in the GNR, I hope you have a great race and that you enjoy every step!

All the best,

Liz Y

• Good luck on Sunday Trace,  I'm sure it will be like a walk in the park!! with all that hard work.  I have just been looking at your fundraising page to see how well you have done with your sponsorships "very impressive" , although it took me a while to find the page.

(if anyone else has the same problem it  is on page 23. ) Once again all the best on Sunday, If it is on TV i will be watching out for you in the comfort of my arm chair. image

Lots of love Cath x   

• Despite my early night last night, I was tired this morning.   

Once I did finally turn the light out, having consumed only half a glass of wine, it took me ages to empty my mind and go to sleep with the highs and lows (but mainly the highs!) of the last 11 weeks kept flashing through my mind.

One of the highs has been the fantastic levels of interest and support that I have received, from the professionals, my fellow super sixers and indeed those that have taken the time and trouble to follow my progress through my thread.   Some silently, some vocally.   Up to tonight, my thread has received over 21,800 views!

There are only 2 more days to go til the grand finale and although I am naturally nervous, I feel prepared, ready and excited but today, I do my last scheduled run.......  30 minutes easy with a few faster strides..........

• Set off at 9.30 am having taken a gel to combat my tiredness and carrying my now trademark bottle of water which would act as a rattle and my pace setter.   

It had rained  during the night and there was a cold but welcome nip in the air.   Kept and eye on my pace early on and found myself running at sub 10 minute miles fairly quickly so slowed down to around 10:20 mark which is a comfortable jog for me now.

No signs of any real discomfort in my legs, heart rate was low but my feet felt a bit clumpy - probably the tiredness - ignore it.

Although I was keeping an eye on my pace, I found it regularly creeping up so decided to stop responding to what the watch said and concentrate on the word "easy" instead.  As long as it feels "easy" - don't worry!   Passed the point where I normally have to stop to stretch - no problems, so continued. 

Most of the second mile is downhill so again, the pace naturally picked up.    Towards the end of the second mile, there is a slightly steeper and sharp right hand corner to turn where you have no option but to slow down if you want to avoid careering off  the pavement and landing in the traffic.    

Around the corner, it starts off flat  and straight , moving into a gradual incline to a bridge.  This is where I would do my "faster strides".   

Started off well and reached a top pace of 7:57 miling, but most of the time around 8:30 mm, dropping to 9.00 mm when I started to tire as I approached the bridge.  However, the stride section, I would estimate was about half a mile in total.

Slowed it down again from the bridge and bimbled home at around 9:15 pace which seemed slower and comfortable after the faster bits.     As I turned the corner for the home straight, picked the pace up again for the last quarte of a mile, finishing on 8:49 pace - 32 minutes after I started.

Numbers next:.....

• Time:  32:17

Avge HR - 158,  Max HR 183

Avge Pace - 9:40

Max Pace - 7:57

Distance: 3.34

Mile 1 -  10:14       hr 141  (it used to be higher than that when I was walking!)

Mile 2 - 9:30          hr 160  (finish pace 8:14)

MIle 3 - 9:13          hr 170  (finish pace 10:17)

Mile .34 - 3:19      hr 168  (avge pace 9:19, finish pace 8:49)

Nike Plus Graph to Follow:

•  Here's what Mr Nike has to say!

last run

The big dip corresponds with the sharp corner, and you can see where the steeper incline to the bridge starts!

• So, what about the rest of the day?

Well, nothing much really........   Had a PT session booked at 1.00 pm but we kept off my legs and did upper body weights - shoulders, chest, triceps, a variety of core exercises, consisting of sit ups, twists, legs raises, V ups, which I found quite tough at the end as I haven't done any abs work since my first video 10 weeks ago, so it pulled a bit.     However, the piece de resistance and the measure of how much my core strength has improved over the last 12 weeks .....

Straight forward plank - target 2 minutes.      Anything over a minute has been a bonus over the last 12 months.......

Result? - easy!    The only reason I stopped at two minutes was that I was bored with staying in that position for so long.   I think I could probably have managed another minute ....at a push.....

If any one wants to try it, you'll find the plank demonstrated on my week 3-4 video.  You lie horizontal face down, up onto your toes and elbows and your hip raised off the floor with a straight back.....     a great measure of your core strength.    If you're not used to it - try for 30 seconds to start....

• 20 minutes in the steam room and a trip into the village to stock up on stuff I'd need for the weekend before heading off to the Osteopath.

Initial examination, some more acupuncture - gives you a loverly warm feeling accross your back and then some straightening of my spine to correct me from standing crookedly!   Finished off with some bone crunching - still a few clicks to be heard but nowhere near as much as the first time I went so hopefully I will be well balanced and discomfort free by Saturday......if not there is always ibuprofen!!

Foodwise today, trying to take extra care with my nutrition with the build up to the weekend - a banana to run on this morning followed by a boiled egg on toast when I got back. Plenty of carbs at lunchtime with a chicken baguette and a sticky bun, and home made Fish pie for tea.  Fluid intake ok but could have been better so will concentrate on that tomorrow more.

Tomorrow - maybe a gentle bike ride and a go faster hair cut but otherwise packing for the weekend..... in the meantime, there's half a bottle of wine left from last night - might just manage half a glass ! image 

• You enjoy that glass KGL - you most certainly deserve it.  You've done so well keeping up with not only the training, but posting such detailed blogs and holding down family and job at the same time - don't know how you've done it!

Hopefully will get to see you on Sunday if we can tear you away from your adoring fans image

xx

• Yes Yeti - they are a bit long aren't they!..... but I just write what comes into my head and try to make it entertaining......

Still - just imagine what it would be like to have to listen to me talking about it!   At least you can choose not to read it!  lol!

• Hi Tracy

I just wanted to wish you all the very best for Sunday! I've been keeping an eye on your progress - wow, you certainly have done well! And your video was great! - go for it, and have a fabulous time image

• Tracy - I love the fact Liz Yelling came on here to wish you good luck and looking back I dont think you even acknowledged her!! LOL image

If Liz reads back on this, I just read her blog from Beijing. Fantastic blog to read if anyone wants to look. Obviously she had different aims, but any runner can associate some of her dilemmas and thoughts. Great read.

Good luck on Sunday Tracy, I think your in for a good time!! Hopefully I can finish close to you!!

• Good luck for Sunday Tracy!  I'm sure you're going to smash your target time, and you deserve to after all your hard work.
  • Catching up Tracy! I see you've been relaxing!!! You'll be floating up to Newcastle at this rate on a bed of lavender scented rose-petals*

* I'm one of these "new" men you read about who are familiar with such delights as scented petals and I know about the shop called Lush that sells soap!!! 

See you tomorrow at some point! image

• Hey Tracy, I'm getting a go faster hair cut at 8 am tomorrow and like you I am going on the road bike this afternoon. I am sure you will smash your target time too. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. Guy.
  • James 1986 wrote (see)

Tracy - I love the fact Liz Yelling came on here to wish you good luck and looking back I dont think you even acknowledged her!! LOL image

If Liz reads back on this, I just read her blog from Beijing. Fantastic blog to read if anyone wants to look. Obviously she had different aims, but any runner can associate some of her dilemmas and thoughts. Great read.

Good luck on Sunday Tracy, I think your in for a good time!! Hopefully I can finish close to you!!

James - imagehow could you say such a thing!  I'm very busy resting at the moment!   Anyway, how do you know I haven't thanked her personally??  -  after all, we're on first name terms now!!

Have I convinced you??    No? ........  I didn't think so!      Sorry Liz - how rude of me image

By the way, you're book is fab!  Enjoy the Lake District  x

Back later, got some more resting to do ...... image

• Well, I'm well and truly tapered......

Lounged around most of the day, the most stressful part being stuck in traffic when I was supposed to be having my hair cut, but I survived it..... 

Somehow, I have managed to remain healthy this week and haven't caught the lurgy that has befriended the others..... so if you've still got it tomorrow folks at our reunion, keep well away from me  image

Found my Lucozade Super Six Vest at the bottom of the washing basket this morning (phew... that was close), but my bag is now packed ready for the off in the morning.   I'll be on the train at 9.30 am and winging my way to Newcastle ........

I'll log back in in the morning for a final look but in the meantime, thank you all for your good wishes and support - I couldn't have got this far without you .......image

• Safe trip KGL, and enjoy your reunion with the other Ikea team image

Will we be seeing you at RW forumite meet-up?  Not sure that green ribbons would go with the blue & yellow.... image

• I've got my ribbons Yeti ......    see you Sun x
  • Good Luck Sunday - remember stay controlled. Your training has been excellent and the reawrd comes in the race. Enjoy being special and part of the best half marathon in the world!

This is my rough guide to what you could do each mile in...

1. 9:15
    2. 9:30 18:45
    3. 9:35 28:20
    4. 10:00 38:20
    5. 10:00 48:20
    6. 9:45 58:05
    7. 9:15 67:20
    8. 9:15 76:35
    9. 9:30 86:05
    10. 9:40 95:45
    11. 9:35 1:45:20
    12. 9:35 1:54:55
    13. 9:10 2:04:05
    13.1 2:04:59

• Well I said I would log on in the morning, but I didn't expect it to be this early!  I've been awake since 4.00 am! image   Already remembered 3 things I have forgotten to pack since I went to bed!

Hope I get a better night's sleep tomorrow - anyone got any knock out drops??   No?  It'll have to be another horlicks then......

• PS - thanks Steve.....   2:04:59??  

I think my plan of wearing roller boots and hanging onto Jason's shirt is the best one..... he's going to sew some handles on especially for me.....

• KGL - just a quick post to wish you all the best for tomorrow!
  • hope you sleep longer tomorrow (I need more too). 2:04:59 or 2:14:59, will be great whatever. Just enjoy.
  • Hi Tracy

This is it, have a safe journey, I'll see you tonight.

I'm leaving now for the couch (whoops! I mean coach), see you in 8 hours time!

Take Care

Sue x

• Hi Tracy, just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow - it looks like you're going to run a fantastic time! And who would have thought that along the way you'd find a second career option, film director - I love your videos! Anyway have a great time.

Liz (RW) x

• Tracy did superbly - 2:12:59 - comfortable and enjoyed it but slightly put off by the pacing as she measured it as 14 miles. Look forward to the report and video.