Options

Achilies Heel ripped :-(

Whilst out for a lovely early morning run last Sunday I ran off a kerb, landed a bit wobbly and felt something shift in the back of my heel but didn't think anything of it and carried on running. After about 3 miles I felt the back of my heel go 'pop' and that was it. Couldn't walk. Had to flag down a bus driver to borrow his phone!  The next day, went to see a sports injury man and it's now strapped up for a week.......Has this happened to anyone else? How long (realistic) do I have to wait before I can run again?..........Supposed to be doing a half marathon in October?!

Last November I ripped my calf muscle (same leg) and was out of action for about 10 weeks. Does this mean I already had a weakness in that leg? Or is it a coincidence that it's the same leg? 

Sorry for all the questions but I have to ask someone!

Comments

• Options
    way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭
    not sure runningwoogie but when my hubby snapped his achilles he was out of action for over 4 months (3 of those in plaster)!- am guessing you've not ruptured just strained it though?
  • Options
    No I don't think it's that bad! The guy I saw said it was a small tear.........but I can't see me making this half marathon......
  • Options

It will be a long (ish) time and I think you are right to discount the 1/2 in October

I had a small tear in a calf muscle and then shortly after a 3cm tear in my achilles,  calf and achilles are liked and a weakness in one can lead to a weakness in the other.  

Once you are able to get back and mobile you need to work closely with a physio and do all the mobility exercises and stretching.  I had accupuncture on mine and wether it helped or not I cant say as I dont know how rapid recovery would have been without it

Back to marathons within the year but you have to start off really slowly.

lots of core stability and massage as the achilles is notoriously difficult to heal and there is no quick fix.

Good luck!

• Options

It took me twelve months to recover from my Achilles injury at the end of 2006.  I couldn't run for 6 months and have been building up from scratch from the start of 2008.  I've got my first race next month.  I was told that my injury will never be 100% healed (no pun intended) so I do have to be careful when training.  My advice would be to follow whatever exercises they prescribe and you will get better.  I'd forget about running in October, I'm afraid.

Good luck for a speedy recovery.

• Options

Thanks for you replies. The thought of having to start all over again is not good..........I remember how hard it was from my calf injury. Oh well. I suppose it's all part of the fun.....!