Give me a kick up the back side please

First my situation: I've been running for a while, I joined a club and ran a few races.  I was starting to add a bit more mileage (got up to 20k a week at one point) and was running 3-4 times a week.  Then I moved away from home for a temporary job and it's all gone to pot.  I'm now running once a week, if that and then it's only a quick 5k.  I think part of the problem is I've not got access to my usual club (which I went to regularly) and partly that I don't have the same level of enjoyment of running as most of you seem to, so that doesn't get me out of the door either.

Someone please give me a kick up the b*m.  I think I need to create a virtual club of people to ask me whether I've run today, so I can't just say  "I can't be bothered today, I'll go tomorrow".

Comments

• "kick "

Are you running today?  Please run for me - under the weather and can't!  I think I understand what you mean about the level of enjoyment - I don't think i'm up there with some of these people either....

• Fine, don't run, see if we care!

(Well someone has to try reverse psychology! image)

Seriously though, go for a run, even if it's just a couple of km's, you might find £10 on your run like I did the other week, plus it's all a load of rubbish on TV these days anyway.

Have a nice plod/run image

• It is understandable especially if you have moved away but remember the positives of   when you were running 3 or 4 times, you can do it again , you just have to push yourself to put your trainers on and go out at first but after that you will be fine !

Go running tonight and let us know about

• £10 Jimo, that's brilliant.  Nice work!
  • I thought that too JuanaH, but the expert runners out there would tell me that I should be looking up when running instead of down, so I shouldn't of seen it!

Just goes to show running pays in lots of different ways image

• Ive been running for a while Jimo and Im saying to you : keep up the good work with finding those notes !
  • I'm going to adapt my technique accordingly - let's see how long it takes me to raise the funds for a new pair of running shoes!!image
  • Aren't you curious about you're new district?

Since starting plodding I've discovered all sorts of new places - and I've lived here over 10yrs
  • Blimey what have I started, I'm hoping people don't copy my running style otherwise there be too many overpronaters, leaning too far forward with dodgy ankles around! Mind you at least they won't be short of a penny or two!

BTW grast_girl is this making you motivated to go for a run?

• Quick responses and some seriously different approaches to motivation.  Quite like the idea of running for someone who can't go themselves.

JuanaH - The plan was to run tonight, if the weather isn't atrocious (I don't mind a bit of rain, but I like to be able to tell the difference when I get into the shower), I'll tell you about it tomorrow.

Jimo - I suppose I might find a tenner, it is a bit posh round here.  I don't even have a TV, so I don't even have that as an excuse!

Mellitus - I lived here before, so not as curious as I might be about the area.  The only problem with running and exploring round here is that it's all complicated estates, so with my sense of directon I can get seriously lost 500m from home!

• I have to say, I absolutely LOVE running in rain for a few reasons, and that will lead me onto further motivation to run...

1, it feels great, you don't get so hot, and it's a real sense of achievement after...

2, car beeps.  When I started to run, I was repulsed by men beeping at me and my friend when we were out running.  It would make me angry.  But one day I forgot the anger and started to count the beeps instead.  We now try and beat our beep record whenever we can, and the elation is incredible when we break the record.  In the rain, the beeps tend to mean respect rather than anything else (best beep ever was from the firemen, who I then ran past and engaged in banter - oh, the fun!)  Perhaps this is a new forum thread.  What d'ya reckon?!

• on the same thread, you could go running and see a person....

(was going to say man....but hey this is the naughties....and have to cover yourself ha ha.....)

whose really good looking.....surely that should be enough to motivate you....

as for beeping.....even i have been beeped a few times.....once though by blokes image

mind you they where giving me funny hand signals at the same time.....probally as i'd just overtaken them whilst they where in heavy traffic!!

paul.

• I'm a big fan of running in the rain, keeps you fresh, the stares you get from people who think your nuts, the pavements & paths are pretty much empty as people are sheltering from the rain, the fact my hair looks SO much cooler when it's wet.

I don't get beeped, must have the wrong figure! image

• grast_girl wrote (see)

The only problem with running and exploring round here is that it's all complicated estates, so with my sense of directon I can get seriously lost 500m from home!

Perfect....just go for a 600m run....that's not difficult to motivate yourself for...*shame*  that it'll turn into a 5k run with your sense of direction image

• So grast_girl, I've got my virtual size 11 doc martens on ready to administor a kick up the rump if you didn't go for a run yesterday.

A virtual pat on the back if you did.

• I went, did 5.3k in 35 min.  Really hard work, but then I suppose I've only got myself to blame.  Just need to plan the next one, I think it should probably be Saturday morning.  I should have my boyfriend dragging me out for that one at least.  Come back Monday morning to hear all about it.

JuanaH - If you're interested in where you went on your virtual run, find Norwich on mapmyrun.  I did a loop on the west side of the city (Earlham Rd, Colman Rd and Unthank Rd), taking in the Catholic cathedral on the way.

Paul - my boyfriend might take issue with me running to see a person that's not him image

• Well done! The virtual DM's will have to gather dust for another day image
  • Forgot to say I entered the Diss 7.5 last night as well (definitely not ready for the full 15 yet), although the envelope is still down in the post room, so I'll have to resist the urge to rescue it.
  • Ahhh...a fellow norfolkite image

Theres a nice little 5k race just outside Norwich on 20th August if you fancy it, looks quite flat would be a nice little event to give you a bit of motivation.

Loads of places to run round Norwich, a couple of pretty good running clubs aswell image

• Nice one.  Thanks for running for me.  I know Norwich a little bit so I can really imagine it.

I am going to try and get out for 5k tonight and see how that goes.  Perhaps we could run together?  I reckon I'll get out at around 6.45.  Wanna join me?  I'll have to go slow though, as I need to ease back in.  See you later, maybe, virtually speaking!!

• Unfortunately, I don't actually live in Norwich anymore, I used to live in Sprowston, but I moved out into the country a couple of years ago, near Watton, so I generally run round there.

• Well I live in London, I was more thinking of creating a virtual running group!!
  • Well I'll be running straight from work at 5pm for 6 miles, so I'll have the virtual tea on for when you've all finished. (As long as I don't collapse) image
  • Oh, I see, a virtual group........been a long day image
  • Result.  What's for dinner?  You are well trained, Jimo!
  • As it's a virtual dinner I could say Goat's cheese tart to start, followed by Lobster thermador and then homemade Apple crumble for afters.

But if I was honest I'll be making Turkey casserole with rice tonight (yep I know that's a weird combination)

• A bit of a culinary expert, I see.  Weird food combos are ok, I live on my own, so I am quite good at finishing over left overs and mixing it up!  I'll eat anything (except bananas and baked beans ) if I don't have to cook!!
  • Keep up the brilliant work, you can do it.
  • Well there's a credit crunch on.

I thought runners were legally obliged to eat bananas!

• I'm one of those runners who can't stand them. Bananas are not my friend.

Grast-girl - you've gone very quiet.  Are you coming running tonight?  Jimo's making dinner.  Who could resist that offer?