Give me a kick up the back side please

Comments

• Morning all! image

How's the running going grast_girl/sanity?

Still enjoying your break JuanaH?

What's the next project after the kitchen patootie?

Well a bit of a blow out this weekend as be laid up with the man flu (couldn't get out of bed on Saturday) so missed out on my 16 mile run. Not sure what to do with my training now to be honest. 20 mile race is on 11th Apil and the furthest I've run is 14 miles a couple of weeks a go. Any ideas?

Anyway hope you all had a better one than me! image

• Jimo wrote (see)

What's the next project after the kitchen patootie?

image .. ummmm .. not sure  image .. possibly  image .. well maybe  image  .. umm no  image .. let me see  image .. I could .. image ... ohh I just don't know .. image

Could you all please make suggestions  image ... nothing too physical .. nothing too far away .. nothing needed too much stamina .. image

• jimo - know the feeling - although I wasn't stuck in bed, I felt really rough all last week and did no running. Managed to get out with GG yesterday for the first time in 7 days, and just survived without hacking up too much of my lungs. Doesn't look too good for my 10 mile PB attempt on Sunday, or the 20 miler the next week! My suggestion would be to see how quickly the flu goes - if you can get a 17/18 miler in next weekend, then go ahead as planned - if not, then just do the 20 miler as a run (and not a race).
  • You have a garden at all patootie? Any small jobs you could do with that. JuanaH could give you quite the gardening advice by the look of it. image

Yep sanity that was sort of what I was thinking, might do 18 miles this Sunday in the same amount of time I plan to do the 20 mile race in, just to see if I have enough stamina to last that long. Then just 10/12 miles on the Sunday before the race.

Is that the Sandy 10?

There must be a lot of this cold/flu stuff going around then!

• Jimo, as long as it's completely cleared your system I think you should be fine, but perhaps don't worry too much about pushing for a time.  Don't know really considering I'm not convinced about doing 10 miles yet, let alone 20!  Sanity's much better at giving advice for these longer distances.

So I dragged sanity out for 11.3-11.8k (depending which mapping tool you use) yesterday, was very sunny and very windy, but the time was pretty good (1:12:13) so I think I might have made a bit of a breakthrough this week, having done two fastish runs without completely going all out.  Still not quite got to a 20k week, but I was pretty close this week, should get it this week because I've got another 13k planned (although if the weather stays like this, I think I'll stay in, I don't fancy being stung by hail for 1 1/2 hours).

Patootie, have you been around the colleges yet?  I know some of them probably won't be accessible, but I'm sure some of them would be.

• Hello.  You've already done 14 miles, Jimo, so I reckon if you're feeling alright, you could do a gentle 16 or so miles before your 20.  Some people do a mara with an LSR of 16, so you'll be fine.

Cleared more ivy today, and revealed budlea and 3 rose plants, so it's starting to look much better now!

Did my first speed session this morning over 4.5k.  It's always a funny one cos I'm self conscious when I'm recovering between sprints ie. jogging slowly, but sweating like a pig - I must look really unfit!!!  Also did my longest run for ages at the weekend - 7.5k with my friend who's running Paris in a couple of weeks.  She needed to cover the miles, so I felt obliged, and I think it was the push I needed.  Reckon I'll be back up to 10k by the weekend, then my aim is never to loose my fitness to the point that I can't run 10k on demand....

Hope you feel better soon, Jimo and Sanity too (lots of steam inhalations, if you ask me!)!

• Yeah good work with the running grast_girl, hopefully sanity hasn't passed any of his germs along!

Also good your getting back into it JuanaH, no holiday in the end then?

Think I've got over the worst of the cold now, still coughing lots though. Will go for a slooooowwwww 3/4 mile plod tonight.

• I wouldn't run if the lurgy is on your chest - it can make it worse....  Off for gym and swim now
  • Feeling very smug this morning, did 4.2k in 23:09, a full 50s better than my previous best on that route, also means I've cracked 9 minute miling on a run that was actually longer than a mile.image  (And it was in the wind and rain, not so image).

Thankfully sanity hasn't passed on the lurgy so far, so I don't think he will now, unfortunately the dreaded hayfever will be rearing it's ugly head soon, which means no more alcohol and lots of hayfever tablets to keep it at bay until August.

Juana I normally just stop or walk in between intervals, so it's obvious I'm completely shattered, but I know what you mean I felt really daft running in the rain this morning.

• WELL DONE, GG.  Isn't it great when you hit a new milestone.  When's the big run?

I enjoyed my gym and swim this morning.  Last week I did groups of 6 lengths, with 3 front crawl and 3 breast stroke.  I did groups of 5 today, with 3 front crawl and 2 breast stroke.  I'm trying to up the front crawl ratio, which I think I'm starting to do.  Next time, I think I'll try groups of 6 again, alternately 4 fc and 2 bs, and then 3 and 3 again.  I'm sort of treating it like running interval training, so fingers crossed I'll be able to swim front crawl to my heart's content!!

Just watching This Morning, and there's a lady in her 40s, v well spoken, and is having to sleep in a homeless shelter - absolutely shocking. As I still have 4 weeks or so, I'm going to see if there are any volunteering ops round here....  Will keep you posted.

• Big run is 19th April, then depending on whether I think I can get the time I want for 10M (17th May) or whether I concentrate on speedwork for Whipsnade (7 June).

Well done you on all the swimming, not something feel the uge to do, although I suppose the same could have been said for running.

I'm sure they'd appreciate the help Juana, it was secret millionaire that surprised me, whole families living in one room, with syringes outside the front door, where the druggies had left them, not good.

• Yeah good to hear it's going well grast_girl, the running world is your lobster so to speak. I might give Whipsnade a go, think St Albans half marathon is the week after.

You seem to be doing really well with your swimming, maybe your the next Jo Jackson!

Good on you for volunteering as well. image

Decided to take your advice and will aim to go for a run tomorrow instead. Still a bit chesty. 

• How's the chest?!

Any running today, GG and Sanity?

• It's pretty much gone now, just have a bit of a tickly throat left. Going for a 4 mile slow run tonight then will probably do some weights after if feeling OK.

What was it today running/gym/swimming/gardening?

Any news on the volunteer stuff?

oooo well done on getting to 1,000 posts. image

Yeah how's it going other running dudes? All well patootie?

P.S. JuanaH I'll be in Oxford Street (I think) Friday evening, so if your at a loose end and fancy a drink let us know!

• image No one hey!

Well did the 4 miles on Wednesday, managed another 4 miles last night. Have to admit I'm finding the running none too easy at the mo, physically I'm fine just mentally I'm not really there at the mo.

Just seem to have taken a few knocks to my confidence recently in life and I'm finding it hard to see the postive side of anything(a lack of PMA to speak), then I start to think I shouldn't feel like this as others have it worse off making me feel selfish and that in turn makes me feel worse.

I haven't even got the enthusiasm to post on the messageboard at the moment really.

Anyway planning to do 18 miles on Sunday, might make me feel better.

Sorry for starting you day on a downer everyone!

Hope you are all well, have a great weekend! image

• Er-hum Jimo have you abandoned us??? image
  • Jimo, I'm with you all the way.  My fella's being complex, and it's a real struggle at the mo.  I know he has probs, but it's affecting me now.

You still going to Ox St tonight?  I don't think I'll be round that way, but I'm def in town drinking, so get in touch if you're about, and at a loose end.

Keep your chin up, it's prob the end of your virus affecting you.

• No running since Tuesday, been incredibly lazy on the running front but then I've been doing 11 hour days trying to get everything finished before my contract runs out on Tuesday.  My posting might get even more erratic from then as I won't have my own internet access, so I should be spending what time I do get online trying to find a job.  I haven't heard back from my recent applications yet either, which is a bit annoying.

Jimo I'm sure you'll get your groove back once the virus is well and truly out of your system, but don't forget to listen to your body, if it needs a break give it one.

I thought I'd been gone a while, but what's happened to patootie?

• I don't know, she's obviously enjoying her kitchen a little too much.

I went for a litle run yesterday, and managed to avoid the 2 mega rain storms by no more than 30 secs, which was a bit of a result.

Might go for a little run in a minute, just trying to get my motivation up...

Don't work too hard, GG

• Morning everyone!

Yeah good luck with the job applications grast_girl, it can be hard fitting in the runs in between.

Have a good night out JuanaH, was out in London but didn't move from Oxford Circus (£17 for 3 drinks, scandolous!), mind you was on the 10pm train back, was a little bored.

Had a pretty chilled weekend, spoke to a few friends and sorted my head out a bit. I was basically just letting things get on top of me, decided just to try and sort things out one at a time. First thing find a less crowded house to move too.

Also did 18 miles yesterday, never ran that far before. Did it in the time I want to do 20 mile race in (2hrs24mins), going to have to think about taking on fuel though. Just had a bottle of water the whole way round and when I got to about mile 15 I was really starting to feel it.

Anyway rest day today then I think a slow 4 miles on Tuesday.

What's everyone else got planned this week?

• Well I didn't get the last job I applied for, so I have to keep looking.

Did 9.5k in 59 min dead yesterday, so pretty close to the time I want, just need to manage the same speed with fewer walking stops and I'm there.  No particular plan for this week running wise, I won't have time until at least Wednesday, but then I'll have running club on Thursday and a long run at the weekend.

This weekend was pretty busy especially as I was in work for Sunday evening trying to get everything done in time, but hopefully I'm getting there now.

• Well keep plugging away, I'd just like to get a reply from a few companies. Going to try and hassle the Fire Service this week to see why I got rejected.

Well done on the run, you certainly seem to be getting quicker all the time.

No running for me yesterday as gave myself a rest day after 18 miles on Sunday, will do 4 miles tonight and should do about 5/6 miles Wednesday (haven't decided yet).

Looked around a couple of houses yesterday but they're no better than current place, will keep looking I suppose.

Any other news?

• Good work on the 18 miles, very good indeed.  You're ready for a marathon now.  I'll drop you a CV email before long, promise!

I'm doing loads of exercise and DIY in a mission to lose the saddle bags and the slightly pot belly!  Body pump tomorrow, and I might even go for a quick run before hand, and then crack on with a bit more on the old ivy.  I bought a lime greenish colour for my hall to brighten it up and make it look bigger.  When I applied it, it was like a child had drawn highlighter.  I was pretty gutted cos I'm normally good with colour, but I added a smidge of white and now it looks wicked.

GG, hope you're enjoying your time off, now that your post has finished.  Got my contract for the new place today, so it's all systems go.

Anyway, I'm watching some trash with Coleen about real women, at which point they say she's too this, not enough that, she should tone up more, so I'm not sure how real women it is - off for a slice of cake!!!

Night all

• You reckon ready for a marathon? Still feel I have a bit of a way to go, my 4 miles last night felt a bit sluggish.

Sounds like your going to have quite the hectic day today JuanaH, when do you actually start the new job again?

I've always been a fan of real women, well any women really lol! image

So like I said 4 miles last night, will go for 6 miles tonight then work on my hamstrings and glutes and then beer and curry whilst watching the football. Quite looking forward to it all, just got to get through work first zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

How's the rest of ya's?

• Body pump was hard today - I think I may have overdone the muscle work this week.  Might not go to the gym tomorrow, and I can't decide whether to dance tonight or not.

Still, the sun is shining, and I'm a happy bunny.  Don't over do the running, Jimo.  As you say, you felt a little sluggish last night - that's because you did 18 for the first time ever at the weekend, so go slow and gentle tonight, or even swim instead....

• image Sorry not to have posted in an age .. been a very stressful couple of weeks .. won't bore you with all the details .. but came a few hours away from starting court proceedings against the site owner where my old home is .. image

Finally his good sense prevailed and he offered me more money than my last prospective buyer (he's been blocking all my buyers for 10 months!) to sell back to him .. I just wanted to get it all over with and as it was slighlty more lucrative than the last 'real buyer' offer I'd received I 'snatched his hand off' .. image

Large deposit cheque has now cleared .. just the remainder to go ... image

Let me tell you this last 10 months has been no joke .. 2 lots of council tax .. 2 lots of rent .. 2 lots of house insurance .. gardeners, window cleaners, heating, electric .. having to keep my expensive Motability car just in case I need to dash over to the old home .. all on one itty bitty lot of disability benefits .. image

Thank goodness I had some savings .. but other than getting the basics to move into my sheltered housing flat .. I haven't spent a penny on luxuries, or fun things since last June .. image

I've now 'lashed out' .. giving myself a 'treat' in my next lot of shopping .. case of ASDA cheap beer .. 12 tins for £2.90 .. and .. I bought myself 2 new walking sticks .. my old one had been getting a bit 'dodgy' . the folding joints were working 'loose' and the bungee cord inside that holds it all together was getting rather frayed .. so I 'treated' myself to two pretty floral sticks .. yellow flowers on a blue background .. and red flowers on a black background .. nice and bright and cheerful .. only £6.95 each on Ebay .. (plain ones £4.95!) .. last of the big spenders image

• Blimey that does sound like a bit of a drama patootie, glad to hear it's getting sorted though. How long do you have to wait for the rest to clear?

Good to have ye back anyways! image

6 miles for me last night, took a bit of pace off and enjoyed it. Some weight work on the hammies. Then a nice curry washed down with Denmark's finest lager watching a (never in doubt!) England victory. Life is good. image

Rest day for me today then, 4 miles tomorrow with some weights.

How's everyone ele's week going?

• Nearly finished the ivy clearing.  I'll post a picture once it's done so you can all send across the adulation!!  Learnt to prune roses and budlia too, so I'm turning into a bit of a gardener - how square - but I'm really enjoying it!  Then raided my parents' cuttings, and they'll bring them over soon and we'll plant them.

No running or gym today, but 4 hours of gardening must count for sometime.  Just put the hot water on for a soak in the bath image.  Might even pour myself a spot of beer image

Those sticks sound cool, P - post a picture for us, if you can!