A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• good luck for sunday, catherineP!

Haven't run since last Wednesday - I had a weekend in Dublin and have been completely thrown off with my motivational levels - I was going to go to a gym class tonight and backed out late on due to sheer laziness.  So I'm gonna write my plan for this week on here so that I'm more motivated to stick to it...

Wed - circuit training at the gym (new class for me but it's with a mental instructor and I've been told it's excellent).
    Thu - boxercise class at the gym with the mentalist instructor
    Fri - run, somewhere between 4 and 7.5 miles depending on how I'm feeling.
    Sat - day off, perhaps some shopping as motivation to fit into a smaller size
    Sun - long run, at least 10k.

Chances of me sticking to the above are low, but if I can look back and say I did something at least every other day then I suppose I'll be happy.

Of course, if I get an 'Accepted' magazine in the post for the London marathon in the next few days, instead of the training above I'll probably go into shock and sit in a corner muttering the occasional 'wibble'.

• Oh poocakes. My back's nearly better and now I'm getting a cold.

I swam today, but  I  won't be doing much exercise at all if this really materialises. It could disappear overnight, I suppose, but my throat is feeling very raw at the moment.

• It seems that there's a rotten cold doing the rounds at the mo.  I feel for anyone who's coming down with it.  You'd think that with being healthy, exercise mad types our immune systems would be boosted and we'd be beyong such irritations as colds.
  • I gave it too you on the forum last night sorry image

have you all gone marathon crazy...............what happened to 10k in under 60mins. It is not the length that counts! Oh maybe that saying isn't related to runningimage

• Hi Susie I am running the Stroud half marathon on 26th October but so far I have only managed 8 miles so I will really have to push myself these next couple of weeks. 

Which one are you running?

I am really finding this forum inspiring - I even went for a run in the heavy rain today - first time ever - I usually wimp out when the weather is bad - I think I ma beginning to turn into a runner!

• No - not a chance I am doing the london marathon! Or any marathon! Fair play to those of you who are.

Here are my current running goals (which have changed slightly due to trying to get this hip happy again):

• No running for all this week to give my old woman joints (although only 29!) a breather - will do some spinning but NO RUNNING! Body really is saying no image
    • A 10k in October where I fully intend to get below my previous 01:05.45.
    • Bedford half mara in December (have decided against the November one due to hip and my sister dropping out and whilst I might be able to limp round a half in November I'd rather do a better job of it if possible)

Is funny - the race HQ of the Bedford half is my old school! Oh how my old PE teachers would laugh if they saw me there all ready to run 13.1 miles...

So there we go.

I tried the no running thing in a quickie gym session at lunch but the bike was sooooo boring and I really did not know what to do with myself on the cross trainer. What do you do?? Arms, legs, what?? So I did end up doing a brisk 10 minutes on the tready and the new shoes felt dead strange.

Good luck for the weekend Catherine P!

• RT

I am doing the EDF birmingham half on the same day it will be interesting to see how we both do.

I managed to run 10 a week before I went on holiday and ate my body weight in food and the most I have run since is 5 miles.

Going out with the running club on Thurs hoping to do 7 miles and hope it all comes together on the day as fast running out of time.

• i' m not brave enough to join a running group yet, although now winter is approaching and I am a little nervous of running during the dark nights this might be my only option
  • Was wondering today about fitting in 2 longish runs at weekend because of the dark evenings thing.

What do people think? A 5 miler on Saturdays and the LSR on Sundays (currently the most is 9 miles but really need to get this higher)? Then I could fit in one or 2 x faster 30 min treamills in the week.

Just not sure if the LSR woukd suffer becasue of the run the day before - have always had a full day's rest before the long one before.

• Maybe the other way around Plod then you can cut the shorter run down if you haven't got it in you.
  • am always so wiped out for a couple of days after a really long one that i know there is no way i'd go out the next day!
  • RT I would definitely recommend a running club. The one I have joined is really friendly and all abilities. i went to the beginners class for a few weeks to judge my ability and they said I should join the main group. They are really patient and encouraging. With some of the beginners it is the first time they have ever ran. I must admit it wouldn't have occurred to me to go before I could run a couple of miles.

It is a relief to know I am going out on Thursday night with a group. Also it helps take your mind off pace time and distance as they are planning the route, and it is not one you are familiar with.

Last night we did speed and of course I was a lap behind but every time the faster runners were going the other way they were calling out encouragement and telling you how well you were doing so don't be afraid. The other good thing was they invited me to go for a few weeks and see if I liked it before joining so there was nothing to loose.

Plod I would do the LSR on Sat and just get out for a slow jog to loosen up the next day or just leave it until the Monday.

• Or gradually work the shorter Saturday run up from a v. short slow run the first week, adding distance week by week?

I've deffo got a cold. It's at the sore throat and grumpy lethargy stage. I'm wondering about a very gentle jog, but even that might be too much. Maybe a little walk instead.

• I'd love to join a running club.  I think it would be nice to run with other people and not have to plan routes.  However, it is not a viable option for me for two reasons:

1) I prefer to run in the mornings.

2) I have my aerobics classes on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, with preparation on Monday.  Also, I belong to a women's guild that meet once a month on a Thursday evening.

• I've really thought about it but just can't find one in my area and I know full well that if i have to go out of my way i'll just not go.

I have a runnersworld stalker. My brother reads this site and has figured out that I am plodmonster - and has now challenged me to a 10k race! Now - I need to find some proper age/sex adjusted website. I think I read somewhere that women are 88% of men's speed - therefore, if I run 10k in an hour, he needs to go faster than 52.45 in order to beat me - is that right? Bro - you reading this??

• Yersinia knows all about that stuff, she has graphs for evidence.
  • running times different ages and genders

this link is to another posting on RW that answers your question with some web sites, Plod. 

• Yeah, the 88% figure was from comparing male and female World Record times - I posted a graph for that on this thread earlier.

Then I plotted out percentiles of the first (and only) race I did, and got a very similar number. I think in each case, it was a sliver under 88%.

This site is useful. You could maybe both aim for an age-graded target of 50%, for example.

• These were the results from my race:

The 'y=' figure is the relationship between male and female times for a gender-matched performance.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/2904662497_10781c1cee_o.jpg

• Has your brother been running for a long time, Plod?
  • I just used Yersinia's link and my PB on 10k for 37 yr old woman came up as 53%. You could do that for your 10k time, change the % until you time almost matches, then put brothers age and gender in at the same % to give his time to beat to beat you.

Just put in my running buddy from work who is a 53 yr old man and he would run 59.51 to match my 58.18. at the 53%. Interesting to see, we are well matched for speed and stamina and I thought I was a bit poor to be matched by a man much older than me.

Plod - let us know how it works out for your brother. 

• hi peeps

again so many messages - where have i been!  Yeah i meant London Marathon 2009.....arrgghhh

susie po wrote (see)
    Last night we did speed and of course I was a lap behind but every time the faster runners were going the other way they were calling out encouragement and telling you how well you were doing so don't be afraid. The other good thing was they invited me to go for a few weeks and see if I liked it before joining so there was nothing to loose.

totally agree with susie po - again i am lapped more than once sometimes but everyone is so friendly and encouraging.  and again they didnt let me pay for weeks......i have been going for at least 3 months and still last one ......oh well they are still all nice,

now i have a question for you - what, in average week, exercise do you do and what are your running aspirations.....(apart from getting round a 10k in under 60!) and do any of you have any running preparations before each outing (mine is rubbing in some ibprofen gel and normally grabbing a lucozade drink!)

• Beanie

We are both lucky that we have a suitable running club near to us as if I had to go far or it clashed with other stuff then it would be difficult.

I do yoga or pilates type stuff 2/3 times a week because I am no good at stretching. No real running prep but next time I am out on my own not taking the ipod as I am blaming that for my running too fast last sunday.

• I've recently managed to get into the habit of swimming twice a week. I cycle as my default mode of transport, otherwise walk if it's more convenient.

I tried my first ever exercise class (Body Combat) last week, but ached for 5 days afterwards, so I don't think I'll repeat that.

I have run on average about twice a week this year, but was getting into a 3-a-week habit before the Body Combat, and hope to get back into that habit prior to following a RW 3-a-week 10K training plan. Unfortunately, 5 days of acheage followed by a nasty cold has interrupted those plans. 

No special preparations for running, and I never carry a drink. I try to do a bit of mild stretching afterwards, and rehydrate.

My sporting aspirations: I should do something about my (lack of) abs and core strength.  I'm trying to improve my 800m swim speed by 10%, and my 10K running speed by 10%. I'd like to do sprint triathlon again next year, and do better than I did this year. I have no intention to run ever longer and longer distances.

• Cheers for the links and graphs! I knew i'd read about it somewhere just couldnt remember if it was this thread. Bro has done a few 10ks and a half - his first 10k was 1hour 8 - the same time as mine - but i think he's knocked loads off it now. I don't think he's super speedy though - am hoping with the adjustment for boy v girl i may beat him but is a bit unlikely. 

• running times different ages and genders

this link is to another posting on RW that answers your question with some web sites, Plod. 

• I don't know why that posting came up again, I have been in the bath?
  • I made a posting earlier and it has vanished. OH thinks it is to do with internet dropping off we are having trouble at the mo.

Just done a quick 5k in the rain, feel great and didn't suffer to much. Just glad to keep up the momentum. 

• I'm still feeling Too Rough To Run

Cycled to a shop I needed to visit today - about a 10 mile round trip, and was pretty well on my knees after that. image

Bloody colds. I want to go to Sadlers Wells tomorrow evening, and can't decide whether I'm well enough. I'm not terrible, but I seem to have no energy at all, and I don't know if it will all just seem like a chore.