A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭
    Spending a few days in Devon with family. Going to see if I can squeeze in a 13.1 either along the coast or on the moors. Hmmm, any suggestions from the locals...?
  • I have just read about 900 posts since I was last on image I just haven't had time. All I can say is:

Well done if you have been running/racing and hello new people.

Me......finally finished (few small jobs to do) work on house. Been learning to cook and spending much of my free time with "Hot date", think he qualifes as "guy I am seeing" now, would like to say boyfriend but trying to take it slowly. Just bought walking boots as this is to be a new pass time for "guy" and I in the future. Running..........well I have been doing some exercise regularly image but it has been mainly spinning, pilates or the gym(with short dready run) rather than on the road. Have to say its a miricle I have managed that!

So running target gets a mini 2.5miles added for last week at the gym JJJ 12.65/50 poor show!!

This week:

Mon Spinning class

Tues Gym (2.5m run)

Wed Spinning class or run (3m)  followed by pilates class

Fri 5.5 miles run

Sat 8 mile run

Sun go away for the week but do 3, 4 mile runs whilst away!!!

Might squeeze in 40/50 if I am good, lets see!!

• jason d wrote (see)

WM- well done on race and report. Ouch to that parking charge though!!!!image Most of the car parks around here are free on Sundays

Race was on a Saturday!  Parking charges are always a bit high round this way as it is a tourist area. 
    ChrissieT wrote (see)

WM - Fab race report and sounds like you fared ok with your knee - hope it's not too sore today.

Good news.  No problems with knee at all today.  So whatever I did was only a minor injury.

Rob - Sorry to hear about your redundancy.  Hope you find something else soon.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

WM- funnily enough, I realised while out on my LR today and remembering that it was a SUNDAY that I had missed a day on my comment to you- lol!!imageimageimage

Rob- hope something turns upimage

16m today- all good- start my 12 week mara plan tomorow- feeling ready to do the biz this timeimage

• A year already Rob – congrats for keeping at it … sounds an enjoyable but tough run!

Chrissie … we all get those sorts of runs … and you did really well to keep going for the final 13.5 miles when your body is telling you to stop … so even though neither run was up to your usual standard, the tenaciousness you have will stand you in good stead in future runs of course. It’s all miles on the clock.

FP - Good you’re enjoying your running and keeping at it! That’s important, isn’t it?

I think Swansea Bay is Sunday 25th Sept, vard … maybe see you there? Don’t worry that it’s on the tready … at least you’re keeping to it … gotta say though I’m much happier outdoors too!

Hope you have a good break and find a good route Ado – anything on fetch?

Wb DM … glad life is good for you … and cross training is always helpful, I believe – though have avoided it generally!

This afternoon’s run was supposedly a recovery run … funnily enough the 3.5 miles at 11:54 pace felt much more of an effort than most of yday’s 10k at 11:23 pace. Good to get out there though.

JJJ – 30.79/50

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done on everyone's recent runs.

Ado,

Not sure.  Are there any local walking guides as I've got ideas from that in the past?

• Jason D - pb yet again and mind boggling distances ran! Not that any of us are surprised image

HY4 - Hope all is ok with wedding plans!

Determined - being injured sucks! Look after yourself! Have you seen a doctor? Chiro? Physio? Anyone that can help to sort it out and help you prevent it in the future?

WM - Awesome race report as ever, awesome result and thank god the knee held up image

Daveo2011 - Having your wife running with you must be such a bonus image

Rob Kilby - Sorry to hear about the job situation! Hopefully it will be just a short break which you will be able to enjoy!

ChrissieT - We all have evil runs where our body seems to have forgotten everything! However, I think those runs are even more important as they allow you to practice with dealing with all those negative thoughts that pop in your head sometimes during a race... they say that long distance running is 90% mind, 10% body and your run was most certainly mind training if you run so far on a bad run!

Flo Po - Working shifts must be so so hard when it comes to running!

vard - I find the treadmill so much harder to run on so well done to you...image

Ado - Have a super cool holiday!!!! Are you training to anything in particular?

DM - Life sounds good - just enjoy image

BB - As you always say, miles in the bank...

Sorry if I missed anyone but there was soooooooo much to get through...

I’ve had my first proper run since my holiday. 7 miles in Kenilworth. Loved it and although I was slow I think I will be doing fine. I than had an interclub. 2 fights with girls much bigger and vicious than me! Ouch - super ouch! My whole body hurts and my legs are battered by the evil low kicks! I was so glad I ran before the legs got it... Hope I will recover fast as I have a club run tomorrow and I missed the park so much...

• Just did my first ever speedwork session today and my legs feel like jelly,
    Went to the gym so I could regulate the pace accurately with a treadmill, set the Treadmill to 1.5 incline and:

1 mile warmup @ 11.5mm
    4x400 @ 8mm with 200m recoveries @11.5mm
    1 mile warmdown @11.5mm

Ran the first 400m and thought "This isn't too bad." lol wasn't thinking the same by the end of the 4th 400m.

I have a 3 mile easy run scheduled for wednesday and a 2 mile Threshold run for Friday - for some reason the HM training plan I'm following doesn't have a long run in its first week.

• I am beginning to think sub 1 hour 10 km runs are completely out of reach.
    I can't even manage sub 30 minutes 5kms image
  • It will come Claire, just be patient.  Remember, you don't want to be trying to achieve it every run, just the races image.  I broke the barrier after training for longer distances.
  • Hi All

Paul - That sessions seemed good.... well done....

Claireruns - It will come with time - be patient and work towards it.

ShiYa - sounds like you had a tough day - hope tonight's club run has helped.

BB/FP - Thanks for the pep talk. Much appreciated.

DM - Sounds like life is being good. How's the not smoking going - still good I hope.

Ado - have a good few days - enjoy yourself.

I managed 7.5 miles tonight. Planned for 5 but had energy so decided to go for it while I had the energy.....

JJJ 96.02/140

• Thanks guys. Rest day today, i think i've been overtraining and not taking enough rest. Might be why i had heavy legs on my run yesterday!

Chrissie - 7.5 miles, i dread to think how long you long run is!

Paul - Speed sessions before my injury used to do that to my legs too.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

ShiYa,

I think the plans are going okay at the mo.

Paul,

Well done.  I have that feeling at times with my speedwork.

Claire,

It will come.  Patience and taking things slowly are the big keys.

Chrissie,

Well done.

• Claire - don't worry it will come, as WM said, don't try to race every time, just enjoy the training - you may surprise yourself on race day with all that adrenalin flowing image

Paul - What is a threshold run?

ChrissieT - Whoop whoop for the return of the good runs image

Had a club thing in my gym yesterday with Kieth the coach who told me off from missing training. I resigned myself by now that everyone is going to be unhappy with whatever I choose to do so I may as well ensure at least I am happy... It was a fun session! Tip of the week: Before the last mile, walk for 5 minutes and than do the last mile as fast as you can... I'm not convinced - I hate walking image

• ShiYa - A Threshold run is just another name for a Tempo run - I pasted this definition as it explains it much better than I could image

Threshold runs
    Threshold runs – also known as tempo runs – are favoured by long distance runners (10km and over). They involve running at about your anaerobic threshold (also known as your lactate threshold). This is the maximum speed at which your body can work aerobically for long periods. It is thought that by training at this level, you can gradually increase the body’s capacity to produce energy aerobically and increase its ability to cope with the build-up of lactic acid. Threshold runs are an excellent way to improve your 10km race performances.

ClaireRuns - keep at it, it will get better.

I'm feeling a little twinge in the lower right side of my left calf today, not sure whether it is just a bit of stiffness from the speed session yesterday or something else. I used to get it a lot when I first started running with some colleagues at work and was running at a pace too fast for me so I'm hoping it's nothing serious. Will see how the 3 mile easy run tomorrow goes with it.
  • Did Castle Combe on Sunday in 62 minutes..... Gr... really hoped to be nearer to the hour mark, but... wasn't. So near, yet so far. I could make excuses about the cross winds on the back straight, but the truth is... I didn't run fast enough - though not for want of trying. Oh well next time.
  • Shelagh - Don't get discouraged 62 Minutes is still a great time, I know it can be disappointing not getting the time you want in a race but look at it as a step in the right direction, you are getting closer to that elusive 60 minutes and I'm sure you'll be there or there about next race.
  • Well done on all the running folks.

I was going to go out for a 3 or 4 mile recovery run last night then decided to have an extra rest day instead image  Classes tonight and tomorrow and then a hill session on Thursday.  

• Well done to everyone on recent runs and good training sessions.  I went out with the running club last night.  First time I've been out in over a week.  I didn't mean to take a week off!!  We ran 9km in under an hour (haven't worked out exact running time yet - there were a couple of stops to allow us to regroup).

Tomorrow I plan to do my first speedwork session.  Paul - your update made interesting reading.  I'm sure I'll be all keen on the first 400m and less enthusiastic by the fourth!

I'm also changing my GPS watch to miles, rather than kilometres.  My training for the 10 mile run (end of October) starts in a week or so's time.  It will make it easier to work out my distances and pace, rather than having to convert all the time.

• Shelagh - they're right you know ... 62 mins is a great time ... and can be improved with further training. Really that's the best way of improving speed.

Not sure about the tip either, SY, but people know far more than me about running! Let us know if it works! A tip I usually try to follow is to finish every run strong (maybe the last 200/400 metres/ mile or whatever depending on distance ... really helps in a race anyway ... and I think it's good for you in general!!)

Extra 2.5 miles last night must more than make up for being slightly short on the weekend! Well done, CT image

I've taken to doing miles instead of kms too for a different reason, Heather ... with kms it seems like I've run further than I actually have (if that doesn't sound too stupid), Seems to help my head to keep up with endurance somehow ...

Tonight's run was a bit of a make it up as you go sort of run. Wanted to do 3 or 4 miles and started heading up the steep hill from our house ... running all the way to the top seemed a bad idea part way up, so chickened out, took a detour and headed off towards the park and athletics track. There did a 100 metre sprint (in 19.5 seconds - 2 secs faster than last time) and then did a mile at threshold (10 mins 12 secs) and then a mile more slowly ... first 3 laps at 11:50 pace and then the final lap tried to wind it up and did 9:40 pace or thereabouts (somewhere round my old half marathon pace!!). Felt like I was flying though!! Again, finish each run strong. Then a mile and a bit home to make just over 4 miles total.

JJJ - 34.92/50 (well on target now).

• Could it just be stiffness from lactic acid build up, Paul?
  • Paul - thank you! Be careful with your calf! If you try to run and it get any worse stop and go to the doctor. Until than ice it, rest it and hope for the best. It may be just one of those niggles...

Shelagh - Breaking the 60 min is just a matter of time. You know you will make it with your starting point being so close, so just enjoy the journey image

Heather - enjoy your speed session image

BB - he is a proper GB coach so he must knows what he is talking about. I think the logic is to recover enough to allow you quality instead of just quantity run. I sort of tried it last night although I didnt walk but in the last regroup I ran back super sllowly to recover and than tried to run the last bit as fast as I could... hard work!!! You know when your effort feel like you should be sprinting but you so not? Like that!

In any case your run sounds awsome image

• Went for my 3 mile easy run today, could feel my calves a bit but that is to be expected after my speed session on Monday.
    I'm still getting that spot of uncomfortableness in my leg. I described it as my calf before but that's not quite accurate it's on the side on my leg where my calf joins my shin. It's one particular spot and can be tender to the touch too. It didn't affect my run too much apart from feeling uncomfortable but it's annoying not knowing what it is.
    I don't want to stop running and rest up if it's just a normal ache and pain from the increase in intensity and the fact I had it before when running at a faster pace with no adverse affects inclines me to just run through it. I'll apply an ice pack tonight when I get home just in case and keep an eye on it.

• Be careful Paul...

I am in bits today... Cycled to the club yesterday then did just under 4 really slow with the beginners group. Then did the main session which was relays really good fun but am aching in places I didn't know I had...

Doing a class tonight " kettle bell" not sure what to expect however legs sooo stiff...

• Wow so many posts since I last popped in, good training everyone and hello to the new posters.

Well I haven't run for the last few weeks and have managed to put on a little over a stone since the marathon now image to much relaxing in the sun with a beer.

I have the club's 10k on Sunday where I won the fastest new comer last year in 44:54, think I may struggle to get anywhere near that this time. Still I have joined the gym and am going to step up the training just need to keep the nasty beer away image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Shelagh,

That's a good time.  My only 10k so far has been 1hr 24.

Heather,

Well done.  I'm planning on getting back to running after a break of a week in the hope the niggles have settled down.

BB,

I think everyone has loads of good advice to offer on here and what works for 1 person may not work for another person.

ShiYa,

That's good if he's a coach of that calibre.  The club I go to is really a group of people who get together for a run and don't appear to have any structure.  This suits me fine because I know that the pace I run at the Sunday run is either 4 or 6 miles so I can fit my training round that.

Paul,

Listen to your body.  It's usually when we push things too far that we get injured and are forced to stop running.

Matt,

Good luck.  That was a very good time last year.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.  I'm planning a run tomorrow night only 2 miles max to see how my niggly hip & leg is and hope to run very slowly.

• Did my speed session tonight.  1 mile run to the park then 4 x 400m with 400m recovery.  It helps that my local park has 100m markers painted on to the ground around the path (up to 1700m), so you know that once round is just over a mile.

Anyway, back to the speedwork... my times were between 1 min 52 and 1 min 55, so pretty consistent.  But it was hard work!  Oscar Pistorius can run that 400m twice and still finish before me! LOL  I then ran the mile or so home.  Was good to do something different than going out and pounding the pavement to get the distance work done. 

As I build up my training I think I'll alternate each week between hill training and speedwork.  Then I have Monday night with the running club, hill or speedwork mid-week, then 1-2 runs at the weekend.  I've registered to do parkrun as there is one near me, but haven't been around on a Saturday morning since registering!

Plan for the rest of the week is day off tomorrow (it's my birthday, I'm allowed image ), gym and swim on Friday and then long, easy run on Sunday.  

• Happy Birthday for tomorrow Heather.  Enjoy your day off!

Made a major mistake at classes this week.  I chose to do a really hard quad worker for my leg routine.  Nothing wrong with that except I've got hill training tomorrow and that is going to hurt!  I really need to learn to plan my classes with my running sessions in mind image

• Hi guys some good training going on, if its short runs or long runs, fast runs or slow runs, they all count. I noticed some of the newer members worried about never getting sub 60min. Rubbish!!! It takes time and patience but above all ENJOY TRAINING TO GET THERE!! These goals and target, races and such are just motivational tools to get us training......its the running we like.

Me well a good week running. Did a 3mile speedy run on dready at gym on tues and then tried a 1.5mile hill climb ( I basically set speed slow 9k/h and increased the gradient every min up to 10 min, had it on 7 at one point and had to drop speed to 8.5 to cope) thought it would help my outdoor running. Then yesterday I ended up not going to pilates as friends son ill and went out for a 4.2 at 9.20mm pace. Loved it. Got loads of free time fri and sat so plan lots of running before hols and defo taking kit to spain.

JJJJ 21.35/50

• Paul - I had something that sounds similar - it started as an uncomfortableness and ended being an infection - so be careful! Mine was solved by changing shoes fitted in a proper running shop. It appears I overpronate and the stress on the inner part of my calf resulted in a really painful infection but once I changed my shoes I seem to be fine!

Flo Po - Some of my gym friends are doing kettle bells and they love it. They say it’s a really good workout image

Matt - Where did you find a sun to relax with? image It’s super miserable here image

HY4 - He is not my main running club guy. He is a guy my gym has hired to start a running club. It’s different from my normal running club as we don’t go for runs, but do drills, being taught about technique and training and racing strategies. My fave bit is asking him questions in the end. Especially about injuries and nutrition. It is so interesting! Good luck with your run today!

Heather - Happy birthday imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

WM - Lol! Hope it will not be too hard today... image

DM - That is a really good pace to maintain!

As to me, I gave blood yesterday. Normally it doesn’t affect me that much but I did find training to be harder than usual. My little heart was pounding like mad. I therefore decided to go for a relatively shorter run tonight as I bet that will be all hard too...