A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• Thanks everybody for your positive comments.

I'm doing a 10 mile in October as well. Wonder if its the same one? On Holiday from school now so enjoying having time to think of interesting places to run!! Going to try running to the beach, swimming and then running home.

Husband bought me a pair of the vibram five fingers to see if they made a difference. They certainly feel very different and seem to work different muscles. Strange thing was that I definately sweated less when running in them!! Has anyone else tried them? Don't think I would want to run in them all the time but they seem good for doing something different

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Heather,

Happy birthday.  That's handy having 100m marked out.  Well done.

Westmoors,

Ouch.  Hope that goes well.

Debbie,

Well done.

ShiYa,

Thanks.  I've not been out yet and plan to after seeing the highlights for Tour De France.  I don't usually run as late as that but want to get a run in before Sunday and allow for rest as I'm going to try and get to the running club.

Shelagh,

I've heard a lot about them.  I think the key to minimalist shoes like that is to build up slowly.  I'm not sure the maximum distance people have ran in them however if you search for threads on here about them I'm sure you'll be able to get more advice.

• Hill session was tough.  After a halfish mile warm up we reached the bottom of the hill and were told to do 6 repeats.  The hill was quarter of a mile long.  On my 3rd repeat the fasties passed me as they did their 4th!  On my 4th go my legs felt like jelly so I decided enough was enough.  Waited at the bottom for the others to finish, then it was the half mile back for cool down.  

JJJ = 53.05 / 72

• Hope you are having a nice birthday Heatherimage

Ran about 6 tonight with the club legs really sore after relays on Tuesday hoping the run will clear the lactic acid.

HY4 loving the tour as I have been on nights and as a result of not sleeping too well have been able to watch it live every afternoon.

• Shelagh - your duathalon thing sounds cool and so does the vibram run. Are you going to get into the whole barefoot running thing? I read about some people who did the Jerusalem Marathon barefoot - well with specially designed sandal thingies...

WM and Flo Po - hope your legs feel ok this morning!!!

Ran 7.40 miles before kb and although did it I felt all shuttered. I really hope its due to the blood giving and I will be all fine by Sunday image

Is anyone racing this weekend and require my best wishes?

Good running to us all regardless image

• Shiya: " Having your wife running with you must be such a bonus" 

Yeah it is, though also a little bit demoralizing cos she's slightly better than I am - I push myself really hard, then she comes back barely glowing and reports a better distance/time than me image  Hehe it's good motivation though, and the best bit is she's a bit of a poor self-motivator - if I say I'm not running today there's no way she will go out alone, and that means I can't just wimp out!.. if that makes any sense!

Today went great again - "3x 5 minutes hard" was the order of the day, and I really did push hard - 5 minutes jog to warm up and then 3 sessions which overall averaged bang on 5:00/km, with a minimum of walking in between.  I think I've turned a corner - I'm still hitting a barrier of either breath or lactate (right-side stitch) at about 5 minutes of hard running, but pushing myself that hard doesn't feel like hell any more - I can actually enjoy it a little bit!  I'm going to try to replace walking with jogging during next week's weekday runs.  Something I'm really pleased with is that what I consider a warm up/gentle jog seems to have improved by about 45s/km in the last several weeks image

Happy birthday Heather, hope you had a nice day yesterday image

• While I'm here, a couple of questions about the long run if you please image  My programme goes something like this:

Week 2: 20-40 mins; W3: 25 mins; W4: 20-40 mins, builds to 50 mins by week 7 and then tapers to the race.

Q1: Given that I've already done a couple of 40 minute runs and feel pretty comfortable, I presume there's no reason not to keep increasing the duration of the long run by 5 mins a week and aim to exceed the race distance by a little bit before I start to taper?

Q2: Why the dip this week (week 3)?  Is that there for a really strong reason, or can I treat it as '25 mins minimum, keep going if I feel ok'? 

Obviously I don't want to hurt myself, but OTOH it's not a personalized programme and I want to keep pushing myself as much as I safely can.

Cheers for any advice,

Dave.

• I don't know the reason for it but the dip is consistent with other plans, the long runs in plan I'm following goes:

W2: 5 miles
    W3: 7 Miles
    W4: 8 Miles
    W5: 7 miles
    W6: 9 miles
    W7: 10 miles
    W8: 10 miles
    W9: 4 Miles
    W10: 10k Race
    W11: 14 Miles
    W12: 8 Miles
    W13: Half Marathon race

Does it correspond with other runs during your that week or the next week getting harder? Maybe an increase in the reps or distance on your speedwork? or easy midweek runs turning into tempo/threshold runs?
  • Daveo2011 - The logic is that you increase your long run each week (not more than 10% of total week mileage) and than go back in week four to allow the body to recover and get stronger before the next increase. The claim is that if you don't do that you increase your risk of injury, more likely to get to the race tired and/or your progress will not be as good as you won't allow the body to capitalise on the increase in fitness efficiently...

I think we sometimes get overenthusiastic and want to keep pushing ourselves further and further which is not necessarily the best thing to do training wise...

I hope thats help image

• Thanks Shiya and Paul - it may indeed interact in some complex way with the midweek runs and maybe a little respite would be good for my poor legs and feet too!
  • Just went for a 2 mile Threshold run and despite only being 2 miles it was the hardest run I've done to date (including races). I booked a day off work so couldn't run my normal flat route and had to map out a 2 mile route near my house. Well long story short I live at the top of a big hill and the 2 mile route I mapped ended up being a 21metre/mile incline.
    I've come to conclusion me and hills really don't get on, started off too fast and ended up walking at the first big hill at ~0.6 miles then had to walk again on another hill at ~1.6 miles ended up coming in at 20 minutes 51 seconds which considering I walked some of it was the time I was supposed to do so meant I really went too fast in other parts.
    On the plus side I had no uncomfortableness in my calf at all so that seems to have cleared up.

Heather - Happy Birthday, hope you had a good time.

Shelagh - I saw those Vibram 5 finger shoes for the first time the other day, they look weird lol. I need plenty of cushioning in my trainers so I don't think they are for me.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.
  • Daveo2011- I have run a half marathon only twice but hav never used a training schedule ever, or a Garmin. I just followed my body and upped my weekend LSR from 10k to 7, to 8 to 10 gradually over the weeks. Doing a 4 and a 5 in the week. I then did 10 each weekend for the last 3/4 tapering for a week prior to the race. Got 2.17 for my first 2.21 for second which I think are ok. Have to add, the body is the master, if I felt tired or achy or not right I would move a run, skip a run and rest. I have never had a serious injury yet either!!

I have finished work now for the summer and feel predictably glum (drop in adrenaline levels I think feel like this every year) when the kids get picked up I am going for a LSR, feel like running the glum out of myself, could be a very L R!!!

Was looking for a half to run this autumn...............any ideas? Leicester maybe? Ado are you doing that? Want some company?

• Had to pop back and say:

6.2 miles in 58.01 mins, 10k in 58.01 mins............oh yes!! 9.20mm pace!!

• Nice one Debbie, that's a great time!! Is it your first sub 60?
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Westmoors,

Well done.

Flo, 

You lucky thing.  I didn't use to watch the tour until we had that summer when Swine Flu was rife as I had a bad cold and work wouldn't let me come in until it was all gone.  I thought I'd be able concentrate on male legs/bums in lycra but use to end up asleep in front of the TV.

Dave,

Well done.  As others have said most plans have a step back week built in every 3 weeks to give the body chance to recover a bit.  If you wanted to 'tweak' the plan slightly then there shouldn't really be a problem providing you don't push things too much.

Paul,

Well done.

Debbie,

Hope you enjoy the break.  I've heard some good reports about the New Forest Half, but I think that may be a bit far for you.  Coventry Half use to be in October (unless they've changed it) and that's a good course.  They're good times. 

• Daveo, all schedules that I have seen have a knock back week every 4th week.  As the others have said this is for recovery.  In fact some plans will label it as a recovery week.  Although I no longer really follow any schedules, I try to keep myself "half marathon fit".  My long run rota tends to be 8, 10, 12, 14, 8 etc...  On top of this I usually do a 5 mile run which will either be intervals or a tempo run, and whatever the club session is.

Today was my 8 mile long run although I underestimated the route and it turned out to only be 7.55 image  Had to stop a couple of times to tie some markers in the bushes as I'm leading the club session on Thursday as it is one of our social "pub" runs and I wanted to mark some of the turns even though everyone will also be given a printed map.  Including the stops I averaged just over 10 min miles.

JJJ = 60.6 / 72

• HY4 thanks for suggestions on half, will look and book after my hols.

Paul - 2008/9 was the year of 10k PB's for me, I did one a month end of 08 to mid 09. Worked my PB up from 1.01 in Blackpool sept 08 to a 54.19 in Fradley in the march (or was it april) 09, ran with the guys on here, we organised it online and met up mid country. It was a flat course but I still have the glass paperweight on the mantle as I have never done as fast again. Started doing the gym in combination with running after that.  Have only done 2 half (race wise) oct 2009 and june 2010. Did my first 10k since 2009 this feb in 59.59 and that was a struggle. Since then I have come back to the thread and my motivational pals new and old and got back into the running. Half my running is indoors (need rather than like) but the training is bringing back my mojo. Since I am 2 yrs older I am well pleased.

WM - as always I envy your club running. for now you guys are my club!

Off on hols tomorrow - 3 x 4mile runs planned for the week.

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

DM - I've registered to do the Leicester Half...I'd be very happy to have your company if you choose to do it, especially as you're so fast and those times will give me a good target to train for over the next few months. I want a better result than my recent Half. I'm also doing a 10k at Belvoir Castle which looks fun. Have a good holiday and enjoy the running and the rest!

• A week later than planned .... got my parkrun in this morning.

Newport parkrun ... 9am ... there I was lining up with 170 other runners outside a country house for a run around the park ... Had lofty ideas of trying to maintain 10:30 - 10:45 mms for the 5kms which only really lasted for the first half mile!! Once we got going, don't know whether it was my over-ambition, the weather (warm) or lack of sleep last night, but goals suddenly changed to trying to get round in under 34 mins ... really is a nice route around the lake and the grounds .... had overtaken a couple of people earlier on as we all found our pace, certainly more than had overtaken me.

By lap two (of two and a half) I thought I'd be able to maintain the pace (which had slipped to just under 11 mms) then all of a sudden heard some thundering footsteps behind me and realised that a child was bombing up to overtake me ... must have been about 13 yrs old ... fortunately they stopped just behind me (saving my ego!) but for much of the next lap I heard the footsteps coming up and then stopping ...

Was running to my limits and keeping 11mm pace ... but was by now counting off the yards to the end ...

Managed to up the pace a little in the last 200 yds ... and was amazed to see the comparative speed that this kid was blowing past me for the line!! I'd forgotten about him!!

152nd of 171 runners ... 34 mins 11 secs ... not what I'd envisaged, but looking back on it not too bad really ... I know I couldn't have done it any faster today even though had built up a faster run in my mind! Anyway a season pb by 1 min 18s.

JJJ - 38.26/50

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭
    BB - I just KNOW that when I read your posts, I will feel inspired, and you haven't let me down! That's a fantastic result, you have come along way and you should fell very proud of your result. Well done.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

BB,

Well done.  That's 1 thing  I don't like about Parkruns. Thekids make it look so easy.

• Haha HY4 ... kids ... and the very old .... I remember feeling great the first time I ran faster than the guy in his 70s who had beaten me by a couple of minutes on my first 2 parkruns a couple of years ago!!

And we won't even talk about the ones who show off by running at twice my pace while pushing a pushchair or walking a dog!!

Thanks Ado! One thing about having a really low starting base is there's plenty of scope for improvement image

• Hi all,

I decided in the end to stick to the programme and so kept it down to 5k this week.  Felt fantastic, ran it in ~28 minutes and I never once felt out of breath or like I was working hard image Yipee!

Wifey and I ran together on this one - which was a little bit strange - you know she's faster than me, but in trying to run together she suffered a lot more than I did.  If it wasn't the recovery week I'd have wanted to pick it up a bit and she wouldn't have been able to keep up, which is weird because when she's on her own she's faster than me.. go figure.  She's asthmatic and I think having me there chatting away messed up her rhythm and ability to concentrate on her breathing/get into the zone.  She definitely likes to run in surges with a strong finish, whereas I tend to stick roughly to a fixed pace, tiring towards the end if anything.  It seems like it's going to be difficult for us to run side-by-side unless we can get in step with each other somehow image  Anyone else have experience of that?  

[edit] I think maybe the thing to do will be to agree a route and just bump into each other a few times on the way around image [/edit]

Re. being overtaken by kids... Once I went skiiing and got totally stuck on the intermediate slope.  A little kid came along and took me skis from me and pranced down to the bottom with them whilst I inched down on my bum image  

Cheers,

D

• Well done BB that's a good time,

I did the Deal dino 10k this morning, got of to a great start when my little girl decided to wake me up at 6am then my Garmin froze on me.

Got to the start which is only a mile from my house on the beach, a good crowd of around 550 turned up.

10:00am off we go, felt pretty good for the first few K's but then it started to bug me that I had no idea of my pace or time, at the 3K point came the hills which are not that steep but pretty long. Once I had climbed the last hill it was then a long steepish downhill which got my legs going then straight down the beach to the finish line.

Finished in 46:19 by my watch no official time yet, bit slower then last year but still quite happy with it.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

4.48 miles done with the club this morning image.

Have to confess I'm getting itchy feet to do a half but don't think I'm going to be ready just yet and want to get a good 10k time this year.

• Well done everyone. BB a season's PB is good stuff...

Matt amazing how hung up we get with our Garmin's.....well done great time anyway.

HY4 your 10k would probably improve if you trained for a half go on book one up...

Ado hope you had a nice holiday.

I did a long run of 10 today nice and slow it was quite warm out there today but seem to be coping better this year with the warmer weather.

• Daveo2011 not sure why but I don't run well with one of my best running friends. Not sure why but every time we run together I have a shocker. Think I like to start off slow and get quicker and she likes to start off fast and then fades at the end.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Flo,

It's a distance I've only raced over once and I was coming back from injury but would have still been quicker if I hadn't of had to slow down to get Chris round it.  My current 5 mile time indicates I should do 10k in about 1hr - 1hr 3min racing speed or if I just plodded round without too much effort 1hr 6min - 1hr 12min.  So either way it's a racing cert for a pb image!

• Well had a family do last night which included Indian food and and copious amounts of wine so decided to add in a 5 mile run today to my training plan - took it nice and easy and came in at 54.11. Next is speedwork session again on Tuesday image

Matt - that's a 10k time I can only dream of currently image Well Done.

BB - I like the look of Parkruns but closest to me is Cardiff and Newport which are a bit far to go on a Saturday morning. It's a shame there are not any in the Swansea/Neath/Port Talbot area, there are plenty of parks that could hold them that have all had 5k and 10k races over the years; Singleton, Gnoll, Margam Park image

• Matt - nice one, seems superhuman from where I'm standing! 

We watched the kids on tv this evening running the 5k .. 17 minutes... wow.  Hope our little girl gets into running with us (and then past us!) when she's old enough image

FloPo - yeah that's exactly the same as us, good to know we're not alone at least!