Swansea Bay 10K

SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭

I've entered for this. It's my home town - though I haven't been back for years - and it has an amazing reputation.

I'm really looking forward to this - and to having some larverbread and cockles!

Comments

• i am in this one to its a good race .i have not far come i am from port talbot have a good one
  • yep, cracking (and fast - wind permitting) course, and good organisation, only down side is the 13:00 kick off. eats into the post race lunch-time drinking hours a good bit.
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭

Yes Mark - that's a very late start - buggers up the whole day. I like running half marathons and I'm usually in the pub having a meal by the time this race starts.

I'd have liked to get the race first done in the morning, then spent the rest of the day pottering around the Gower dropping into a few pubs.

Not quite sure what to do with the morning. And eating is a problem. I normally like to eat around 1.00 - so that will have to wait.

Late breakfast?

• SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭

I've decided to get some family members together for a pub lunch after the run. I'll be finsihed by 2.00 - so we'll be looking at sitting down between 2.30 and 3.00

Any recomendations for an attractive pub in Mumbles or Gower that will do an OK, but not too expensive meal (around £7 - £10 a head)? I like cask ale - especially from local breweries - I do recall a pleasant pub in the back streets of Oystermouth that served good beer from the Swansea Brewing Company. Park Inn. But I don't remember if it did food.

• Pretty sure it doesn't do food but yes it does great ale, I was in there last week. Try the Antelope on the front for beer and food, its between HSBC and Knab rock
  • Thanks Tim - I'll check that out.
  • This site says it doesn't do food.

And this site says it's often shut or is full of drunks!

While this site gives a list of famous people who have drunk there:

Sir Anthony Hopkins
    Wilfred Bramble (Steptoe of the TV Servies)
    Wynford Vaughan Thomas
    Garfield Sobers
    Ryan Davies
    Sir Michael Heseltine
    Kennith Williams
    Emlyn Williams
    Tom Bell
     Kingsley Amis
    Vernon Watkins
      Dylan Thomas

How do they know that Heseltine and Sobers drank there?  I suppose Sobers drank there the day he hit six sixes!

I remember that day because my aunt lived in a house right by St Helens and one of the balls hit her house.

• We like the hotel in Oxwich.  It does nice bar food and isn't too expensive, plus you can go for a walk on the beach! Have fun
  • missed the deadline image  oh well always next year
  • Anybody had their race packs yet?
  • Mykey - it's not just me that's a bit on edge not having received the race pack then?!

I know from previous years that the pre-event organisatoin is not brilliant but no pack with two weeks to go? That's pushing it a bit.

Just managed to get through to 'Special Events' at the Swansea council offices - they say the packs are being sent out today through to Wednesday.

Just in case anyone wants to contact them it's 01792 635428

According to the website - the adult race is full!!

• I'm still miffed I'm going to miss out on a t-shirt - coming up on the day from the midlands so can't pick up a t-shirt in advance... Any ideas why Swansea have done things this way? Do they always do this?
  • No, this is the first time they are stating you have to pick up the t-shirts. Having said that, as I have said above this years administration is the worst I have witnessed in the seven years I have run it..

I'm also slightly confused in the statement on the website..

"The Admiral Swansea Bay 10k commemorative T-Shirts will be available for collection from:-

The Guildhall, Swansea SA1 4PE on the following dates and times,  Thursday 18th September 3pm-8pm, Friday 19th September 10am-8pm, Saturday 20th September 10am-8pm

Remaining t-shirts will also be available from the information marquee on the day of the event, Sunday 21st September between 8.30am and 4pm.

T-shirts have been allocated on a first come, first serve basis for the 1st 3000 entries received (this is not necessarily reflected in the race numbers given to you)."

It's the last bit really, if 3000 have been allocated, what are they doing with them?

• It's Welsh grammer MT, we tend to put things round the other way to English, Cracking, isn't it !

Love that link Silk Tork image

• Such a shame its clashing with a tri I entered as I really wanted to do this this year. 
  • The race packs are always sent quite late for this one, usually just a week or so before the race.
  • Spoke to the events people today, they started sending them out yesterday. I entered the race late (last wednesday) so there still maybe spaces available. They said I should get my pack next monday or tuesday
  • I was told today that I should be able to pick up a T-shirt, although I entered the race within the last 100 places. But would probably not get my choice of T-shirt only large or extra large. Which is fine by meimage
  • Last year they sent out t-shirts to the first 3000 enteries..........as they always have a full house not sure why they don't give a t-shirt to everyone...............i overheard someone last year before the race saying that he had missed out on the t-shirt and he had been collecting them every year....................it was my first time there and the t-shirt only meant another t-shirt to me and so i gave him mine................

Its a shame that they cannot give everyone one..............fair enough if you enter on the day you can't always expect the same goody bag but when people enter in advance they should get one.............

But they did give away loads of shampoo and conditiner at the end last yearimage

• I entered the race ages ago, as it's one I've always wanted to do and so I wanted to make sure I got a place.I assumed the "first 3,000 entries" for the t-shirt meant the first 3,000 people who got in would be mailed a t-shirt, but maybe that's too logical!

Good in a way, though, as I'm running out of room in my house to store my race t-shirts... image 

• I'm still using the shampoo and conditioner they gave away last year!

New trainers arrived today, so just enough time to wear them in a bit before the race.

Training's gone well, a PB should be on, so cue either blazing sunshine or gale force 9 to slow me down!

• Just called them to find out if I had a place or not because I sent my form after the closing date.  Apparently I'm in, woohoo image 

I hope the weather is sunny with a light breeze.

• Just got my pack! No shirt though, just a 'voucher' to go and pick one up..   ..which is great given its an 80 mile round trip and I work 7 til 7!

Don't understand their policy this year - would have thought the sponsors money would assist any extra postal costs (unless of course it's been spent on "other things"image)

I'll have to dig one of the previous shirts out I think and wear that!

• Agghhh!!! I didn't enter in time! Does anyone know if I can enter on the day or if I can get in by running for a charity? I really want to do this race! I haven't been home for a while and it's right on the doorstep where I grew up so it would be amazing!!!  My fault for not entering sooner but I didn't have any money until today agghh!!!

Thank you loads!!!

• No entries on the day Froolie. You could hang around this thread to see if anyone decides not to run and they may gve you their number....

I dunno why everyone is bothered about the t-shirts, they're only the usual cotton ones that  you cant run in anyway....image

• has anybody not had their race pack yet?

I have had mine but my wife has not had hers

• Had my pack

Going to have to hope there are small t-shirts on the day I think

I run in cotton t-shirts....is that wrong??!

• I've had my pack, but haven't received one for my daughter - we ran a couple of years ago but can't remember if the children received packs .... ????