Options

ITBS

I am writing this in desperation for any advice anyone has on ITBS. I was diagnosed with this in a few months ago in both knees following an MRI but i have been struggling with this injury for the past 8 months and haven't been able to run since. I am completely miserable and nothing i seem to be doing seems to help it. I see a brilliant physio but i am soooooo frustrated!

I have been trying to strengthen my glutes, in paticular the glute medius and regular stretching of the TFL which is leaving me feeling sore -but i don't think that i have a weakness in this area? there is always a stinging pain in both knees and its painful even to walk around the office in work. I have a complete fear of even going for a walk. I have had a cortisone injection in the left knee, which was originally the worse knee and it helped initially but now it is exactly the same as it was. I have been taking ibuprofen but i know that i have to find the cause of this or it wont get better. The problem is i feel like i have tried almost everything. I think the only area i haven't been working on is the hip flexors, is there any merit it strengthening this area? The foam roller is horrid! although i try to do it as i have read so much about it's potential benefits but i actually feel worse after using it.  

Please if anyone has any advice this would be greatly appreciated. i miss running very much and am desperate to get back to it. - Kind Regards Caz x

Comments

• Options

Hi Caz,

Have you had your feet looked at and running style analysed? There may be problems with either of these which could be putting extra stress on the ITB.

Check out this page to see if there are any ideas you haven't tried:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/irunnersknee.html

Does your physio do massage and myofascial release to your ITB? Have you tried dry needling? 

• Options

Hi Heidi - thanks for your response, I had my feet and gait analysed and i have had orthotics made, there is a "functional leg length" difference but now that i have the orthotics i dont know why it is still so persistant. I haven't tried dry needing? Do you have any ideas why it is bothering me just walking around?

Thanks again. - Kind Regards Caz.

• Options

Hi there,

i have itbs in left knee for a few years, but getting better now. Try these things:

1. run barefoot  -its amazing - just try very short runs on grass and build up. Changing from heel to forefoot strike may help loads.  it may even cure itbs  -hey its helped me and i have awful biomechanics. At the very least check your shoes out - all that cushioning and support may be exacerbating your problem???

2. carry on with core strength stuff. i'm no expert, but have researched itbs til i'm going mad and strong glutes and hip muscles are the key.  i now find a broom cupboard at my office three times a day to do loads of exercises!!

3. not sure if you've tried - but buy a knee strap  - cho pat runners knee

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Cho_Pat_Runners_Knee_ITB_Strap/2034/35925.html

i swear by this. i even did the 3 peaks mountain challenge and my knee was fine. i am now easing off it slowly, but whilst its really bad this is essential kit. There's barely a twinge when i use it, but don't wear become dependent on it as it probably not help you long term.

hope this helps

Garver

p.s. i know what you're going for.  i'm still worried that it wil come back with all guns blazing!

• Options

Thank you so much i will give that a go. It is just dam persistant, it makes me so very frustrated! I feel like i am loosing hope and i will just be stuck like this. (i know this is very negative but i am feeling very sorry for myself after a summer of no running)

Kind regards Caz

• Options

Hi Caroline

I am also suffer ITBS and it has been over a year for me.  I have spent a fortune at the physio and had a MRI Scan which confirmed this diagnosis and mal tracking of my right knee cap.  Hoewever, the main two actions that I feel have helped me include core strength exercises and shoe orthotics.  I am getting better and can run further (30 miles per week)without feeling my knee feeling like it iis going to fall apart but I am far from cured...let me know how you get on ??

• Options

Thanks for that - i have spent a fortune aswell but just hooping that i find an answer to what is the main trigger, the orthotics i have are good but i can't really get to use them because running is impossible and sets it iff straight away. I can literally run for about 2 minutes! Thanks for you tips i will keep going with the core strengthening exercises.

Kindest regards Caz

• Options

Only started running last Sep and was laid up from Jan  to May with ITBS ( didn't know what it was until I read about it in runners world)

I had ITBS in both legs at different times. I  had 8 sessions with a physio and she recommended doing pilates for core strength. I do either yoga/ pilates or Body Balance which is a combination of Yoga Pilates and tai chi. I try to do these classes 2/3 times a week.

Since I have been doing  these core strengh classes I haven't even had a tweak from either leg. It's been 3 months and I am training for a half at the moment and have so far run over 9 miles with no problem so there is hope with this injury.

• Options
    HI Susie thank you for your advice i will definatly give it a go. its still as tight as ever and no running at all at the moment. caz
  • Options

Hi Caz

I was interested that you used the word 'stinging' as I've had patello-femoral pain syndrome since last Sept and that's one of the main words I've used to describe the sensation I've had in both knees. However, I don't have ITBS, although when I used to do a lot of running I had pretty tight ITBs. IAm presuming your pain is more down the outside of your knees?

Every fizz I've ever seen recommends foam rolling. Are you finding it painful as you actually do it or as a result of doing it? My fizz said if it hurt to much to wear trackpants. Perhaps you are doing too much in one go...maybe a little bit every day would help?

Are you doing any icing? I found hot and cold contrast bathing with a shower head to be really helpful specially when knees felt inflammed. It's great for getting the circulation going. I've tried all kind of different things for PFPS so it's quite hard to know what's helped the most but I really think this did.

You have all my sympathy as I haven't run since Sept, but one day I will......!!! I am never giving up hope.image

• Options
     Hi - yep the pain is on the outside of both knees, i usually find the foam rolling doesn't help much but i have been told to keep doin it, good advice though i will just do it a little. I am so impatient and this thing is just such a pain.. Thanks for all your tips - i like your attitude not giving up hope, i am with you on that one. cazimage
  • Options

I really do understand your problem, I too developed ITBS 8 months ago, just after Christmas, and also cannot walk very far and it also hurts at rest. I think it was a build up of damage in the muscle/band over years of damage, and finally it gave way . This makes me realsie it could be a long time healing and I personally am wondering about surgery.

I have tried rest, NSAIDs, cortisone injection, exercises from the phsio, gluteal strengthening, Pilates, also swimming is great to keep up fitness, have joined swimming club. Also have tried the foam rolling, stretching, although my phsio says the ITB does NOt stretch- have recently had advise to do PNF stretches, not reaaly quite sure about this as have not had it demonstrated but have looked it up on google, I think this might help actually.

I have had gait analysis, new running shoes ( cant use them though) and have orthotics in my ordinary day shoes. I have also tried this dry needling - had 3 sessions, I am really not sure about this, and would like to know more about it, it is also called intramuscular stimulation, but I am not convinced it has helped.

I would like to know how long to wait before seek advice of a surgeon- the orthopod who gave me the injection was not very communicative and indicated it would be a simple sectioning of the band. On PUBMEd there is an article describing Zplasty lengthening of the band, from a team in the US with good results. Does anyone know of a surgeon in the UK who might be enlightened, if mine doesnt settle soon i will seek a surgeons opinion.

I do know how you feel about not running, for me also, it is a big part of my social life as I run with a small team who regularaly run together and i feel left behind though they have been good at doing core strength work outs with me to keep up morale - they all say they are running better than ever as a result!

• Options

Hi Pamela - you sound so much like me i have been considering getting more advice about the surgery. I have read a lot of info on it but my physio is not keen on the idea and is convinced that we can figure it out. I have a twin sister who has go little niggles in her knww and is scared to death of this developing further. I wish that i could give her better advice but i am not even sure why my IT band is like a steel cord. I found a really interesting last night in my quest for answers about trigger point therapy, have a little look and let me know what you think, have you ever tried anything like this?

http://www.tptherapy.com/quaddisfunction.php?sym=22

I have ordered the ball and the DVD about Hip Dysfunction because my Physio is convinced that this is the problem area for me, I would love to stay in touch, let me know how you get on (and if you find a miricle cure!) I will let you know any info i find. image

Take Care Caz x

• Options

Thank you for this link, most interesting, and I will concentrate on this area even more with my roller!

I have had 3 sessions of trigger point massage witha sports therapist and numerous sessions with my physio, made no difference so far.

My physio too advises me to avoid surgery but i think this is because the common procedure seems to be just slashing the band at the posterior insertion just above the knee, no wonder results are variable!- if you look on pubmed there is an interesting article on Z plasty lengethening technique which just feels right to me. i do not know how to proceed to find a surgeon here though as article was written in texas i think. my ITB like yours is so tight, sometimes my lower leg even feels a little numb or tingly. lengthening the bad if it is so hard and fibrosed makes sense to me.

i have also tried dry needling ( a bit like acupuncture except the guy who did it says not acpuncture)- insreting the needles in to the ITB ( ouch!) is supposed to make the muscle relax and therefore lengthen, you guessed, no improvement!

as a result of these discussion on runners worl , I do intend to see a chiropracter and get lower back checked out as well though.

I have also been to podiatrist to address biomechanical issues hence the orthotic inserts! and more exercises.

also check out PNF stretches ( google it) dont know much about this but was advised this by sports medecine expert whom i emailed in desperation for help. stretching does seem to help although physio adamant that ITB doesnt stretch. 

in terms of keeping fit i am swimming at local masters club- i would have gone mad without this! we do speed work, intervals etc

pamela

• Options

Hi Pamela,

I too have had trouble with my ITB band (just posted a new thread) and am having surgery on 16 September.  Take a look at kneeguru.co.uk - Dr. Angus Strover is performing my operation ....

• Options

I'm just (hopefully) getting over 2 months of ITBS, my physio and I have had put it down to some pelvic instability, I have quite a weakness througouht my left side which was my ITBS knee.

I cut down on running, once or twice a week only, did extra core work, took NSAIDs for 1.5 weeks due to exploding tooth infection, went on holiday, tore hamstring doing silly yoga stretch.  Today I smashed my record time over one of my training runs with no ITB related pain - nearly vomitted though.

IMO if you are suffering ITBS;

1. only run/ exercise if it is ok, stop when things start to hot up (not always easy I know if you're suddenly 4 miles away from home and starts to sting)

2. change the way you run to minimise rotation of the knee and hence tightening of ITB, by technique I believe is the way forward but by buying new and complicated shoes or orthotics is an option (I'd prefer the barefoot approach).

3. shore up the core, to help keep you together - I've been trying to actively engage my core during my runs, it certainly makes me go faster, but not sure whether it helps my control.

4. everything is linked and you need to keep balanced, cross training helps, I think sometimes when we are injured, we go swimming etc and start working other muscle groups which make some of the problems go away.

5. tension causes injuries - if your worried about the pain starting up you'll be tense and it'll be more likely the pain will start up, most of us run to relax + feel good, so start the run feeling good + relaxed. You need to listen to you body to find out that something is hurting, but don't go asking it (if you know what I mean) If you're feeling under the weather/ stressed out, pick that day to do your alternative exercising

I'd take quite a bit of time out to really consider whether surgery would be a goer, and have exhausted all other options

Crikey, sorry for the long post. Good luck all!

• Options

message for abbie smith, do you know what technique the surgeon will be using, is it sectioning of the band or a z plasty lengthening?

i did look at knee guru , thanks for that- but the lcoal surgeon listed for mw is one i have already consulted but didnt get much info out of!

pamela

• Options

I think he is actually sectioning the band - this is what he said:

I feel that the way forward here would be to do an arthroscopy and carefully examine the lateral and medial parapatellar gutters and remove any inflamed synovium there.   On sequence 13, image 11 in particular, and then in 12 as well, one can see the inflamed area which is out of the patellofemoral compartment, but very close to the lateral epicondyle.  Overall therefore, I do think that the iliotibial band is culpable in this respect and I would go ahead with arthroscopy and division of the posterior fibres of the ITB.

I'm with a Dr Angus Strover who is at the London Knee Clinic - worth paying him a visit if you can get to London ...

• Options

Abbie

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck and a speedy recovery and return to running!

• Options
    thanks Fikalina - will let you know how the recovery goes!
  • Options

Good luck Abbie, I hope the sectioning does the trick.

I heard of someone who had some of his ITB sugically removed... and it grew back image Maybe ask your surgeon about this?

• Options

My physio give me plenty off deep (painfull) sports massage and accupuncture. Also lots of electric shock treatment down entire leg. And ultra sound treatment. The accupuncture seemed to ease it (or maybe combo of it all).

Also I bought a load of plastic or polystirine cups, filled with water and froze, then cut the ends off the cups and give myself ice massage around the knee, this seemed to help.

Ive since twisted my other knee at ju jitsu, so now Im just a sack of aches and pains.

Best of luck to you.

• Options

Blimey don't say that!  I hope it doesn't grow back as its caused me nothing but grief! image

Thanks for your support.

• Options
    I've been struggling with ITBS for almost a decade and nothing seems to help. Many months of physio from various practitioners, acupuncture, ultrasound, eventually a Z plasty since nothing else seemed to work, but that didn't do the trick either. In the end, no real relief - the tension is still too great in spite of all the effort, and I've been forced to give up both running and cycling, permanently it seems. Even swimming bothers my knee but I grit my teeth and stick to ground-floor apartments. Wish I had something more positive to contribute - unfortunately not all medical techniques work for everyone...
  • Options
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/ned%20merrill">ned merrill</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><p>Hi there,</p><p> i have itbs in left knee for a few years, but getting better now. Try these things:</p><p>1. run barefoot  -its amazing - just try very short runs on grass and build up. Changing from heel to forefoot strike may help loads.  it may even cure itbs  -hey its helped me and i have awful biomechanics. At the very least check your shoes out - all that cushioning and support may be exacerbating your problem???</p><p> </p></div>
    </blockquote>
    This. 

I wrecked both my ankles in an accident a long time ago & would get tendinitis on my Achilles & outer calf. 

I got orthotic inserts & the tendonitis persisted. 

Then I saw a physio who said throw the othotics out & wear only ‘bare foot’ shoes + hike on uneven country ground. 

I did that & almost all the tendinitis went away. 

In Spring 2017 I started hiking without shoes or socks on country grass land, and my ankles were tendinitis free!

the only thing that brings the tendinitis back is doing too many miles on a pavement - it’s incredibly artificial to walk on something very smooth, flat & repetitive - it’d never exist in nature. 

As its Winter I have to wear my barefoot shoes, but I don’t wear socks so I can stay connected to the ground, feel it & grip with my toes. 
  • Options
    Also, for the symptom of tendinitis, have you tried turmeric & ginger paste eaten twice a day?

id also highly recommend Comfrey & Epsom salt baths & nothing beats reducing inflammation like eating an organic, whole food vegan diet.