Great North West Half-Marathon

compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

what do runners think of this race   with the RW pace makers   this year I started of with the 7 min pacer but went ahead and stayed there all the way  great race this is and I just love it

Comments

• I've done the marathon but not this one. Is it worth a 330 mile round trip? I suppose it must use the marathon route at some point to.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    it goes from the Hilton hotel  to the north peir then the lower walk to Bispham and back and round again it is 2 laps  of the north part of the mararthon
  • I really like that bit up to Bispham. I've already got a few interested again at my running club. Hopefully there's going to be a contingent of Sleaford Town Runners there again.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Thats good 

get entrys in early   as I heard this fills up fast

• Koisleeve

One of the best half marathons in the north this one with a promenade start and good fast two laps to follow, will be fourth time

• Hi Michael

Yes this one fills up at 1500 nearly missed out last year. i see they are using champion chip timing in 2009 a great introduction

• Well you've sold it to me guys !
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Bugsy

have you entered yet    yes they are using the chip this time can not wait   but there a week on saturday for the 10k

are you putting in for the mararthon  on the 5th april     my last race before then will be the spen 20  and that is nearly a 2 lap course from mile 4 to 19

Ron and Lewis do a great job with these races    was looking at the 2004 debate and Ron use to be on there   till all these unkind things said about Blackpool races

• Hello all.

Here's hoping that no more storms crop up just before the race this time - last year the route had to be altered because that ferry 'Riverdance' got hit by a freak wave and ran aground on part of the North shore beach that the race was due to go past.  It ended up being an amended three lap race rather than the regular two laps to avoid the ferry!

I'm entered already and looking forward to a flat fast course with runners world pacers and chip timing - bring it on!image

• old croc

I think the course is back to normal   I saw Ron at the Fleetwood half and he said for the mararthon race in april that the short loop was taken out   so I think it will be the same with this

• Good news that Michael

I actually missed the race last year through work commitments - the only plus being they sent me to the States for a week that allowed training to be done in a new continent for the first time.

Looking forward to this one already - set my 1/2M PB in this race in 2006 - a little over 1hr 46, and really hoping to get this below 1 hr 40 mins this time.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

old croc

I hope to beat 1h27 which I got at Fleetwood half in august   I am doing the blackpool mararthon on the 5th april

I do all Rons races   and just love doing them 

I started of with the 7 min mile pacer   but got well ahead to from mile 1 all the way

• I'll probably be up for this one, as like you Michael I really enjoy races in Blackpool (although dates usually don't suit!!!).

Michael, are you running the Lancaster half in november?

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

BarcaBri

yes I will be at Lancaster   half   

it does most of the trimpell 20 mile route and then turns back on its self 

I think that trimpell 20 will be first sunday in March

• I am in too early training for Ironman Switzerlandimage
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Jpenno

I have 6 months more training for my 4th full blackpool mararthon as I want a 3h 30 finish

• Michael also signed up for Blackpol full next april, love the race and atmosphere along the Golden Mile. Should have no problems in 2009, that darn boat at the top end has gone, so its looking good for a good two lapper. See you at Fleetwood next year I'm number 275
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Bugsy

do you mean next week   I will be there  number 4  and will have sotos 10k t-shirt on

glad you are doing full one   my training is going well  and am getting faster    doing Burnley 7 mile fire stn race on sunday

that blackpool fire stn race is on the 21st december    that fire stn make the best mince pies I have ever had

I am not sure  the if the full and half is starting from the hilton or winter gardens   it says hilton on the website   and winter gardens on uk results

p.s   doing trimpell 20 miler as a boost race

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    trimpell 20 mile race  is on the 15th march  not sure weather  this is to close to the mararthon if the spen 20 is 2 weeks before I will go for that otherwise  it will be the st annes 10 mile race as my last before the big mararthon
  • Signed up for this one one of the best halfs in the north. Picked up an injury a couple of weeks ago an old football knee one, maybe out of running for 8/9 weeks. Th old bike is out again for a while.  How did you go on at Fleetwood on Sunday Michael was it a good race, sorry to have missed this one.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I did it in 1hour  and was in the top 15 I think
  • Michael,

Ive entered the Blackpool Marathon for next year .You have mentioned the spen 20 as a warm up to the Balckpool Marathon as a newbie to running 12mths 1best 0K 41.07 half marathon 1.27.35 would you go full on in that race as in marathon pace.I am hoping to do blackpool marathon in 3hrs 15mins up to 18 miles on long run now ready to start the garmin schedule in december

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

riggy1971

the spen 20 is a very tough race and is hilly and nearly 2 laps  if you went on full you would struggle in the last few miles  I have done it 3 times  and got it right though the race

there is a flat 20 mile at lancaster  3 weeks before the mararthon

I have done blackpool mararthon  3 times the first time I was aming for the time you want  but my knee went at 22 miles  but I did finish  the race went to st annes then

now you have to face the lower walk twice which is tough     1h27 is best for a half mararthon for me aswell

if you want advice on your training   go to www.blackpoolmararthon.com and email Ron Mcandrew  who puts the race on  he knows his stuff on running  I know him  he will give advice to help you

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    latest news on this event I have had by email from Ron is that 800 plus entries have been recived to date  and this event will close early   and the runners world pacing team will be there.
  • Cheers for the heads up on early closure, I've gone and stuck an entry in and hope to beat 1h58m24s that I set at the weekend in Cardiff

R

• I've got my entries in for Blackpool Marathon and the Great NW Half just in time it seems. Hoping for a pb in the Half, does anyone know if there will be a 1:25 Runners World pace group?
  • mahonjai

I think from last years race R/W had sub 1:20 pacers, sub 1:30 pacers etc. They are very good

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Bugsy

on the build up now to the mararthon with a 15 mile race at holmfirth on sunday and that is 2 laps

• I think the 1:20 pacers may just be beyond me at the moment but I'll certainly be looking for a sub 1:25 finish as I'm still fairly young and new to running so I'd expect more improvement on my pb of 1:26 at GNR 2008.