Great North West Half-Marathon

Comments

• dont liek wine. got half a bottle of bacardi here.

Correection - HAD halfa bottle of bacardi here. Someone drank it.

I blame the dog,

or ron

• PF

you are making me laugh now 

you  want to see my bother when he has been drinking    he once got into a police car thinking it was a taxi   and asked them to take him home

• No, i don't partake of alcohol at all

i'm a religous marathon runner - i live it 24- 7 -365

• Micknphil did you get my message re Trimpell
  • what a few posts a go

yes mate thanks

• Mick - I'll share a bottle with you sometime then!

All the more for me image

MT - can I meet your brother?

• PF

i'm one of those runners that are classed as nutters

• when hes in    he is a boy racer and has a porsh
  • Would hate you to go there and struggle but have done a lot of races since then so might not be correct Old age and Guinness affecting me brain
  • Pete

do you know us ? -

just curious-  appreciate your advice though

i don't know about you PETE - but me, i'm just dead serious about my running - even though i've got to push my boy

my training isn't what it used to be- but, outside of family life- i live running-  

• old age and guiness might affect your brain-

but i doubt there many young ones that 'll beat u ahh

I'll be 51 shortly- even pushing phillip i can still run faster than half the others

• From what i can remember the stretch that i am talking about i think has tree roots  and a very narrow entry onto the pavement of which you will not be able to get through but it has been two years since i did this race and have run the cycle track section many times but have not done the bit after since the race.

As for do i no you unfortunatly i have not had the pleasure of meeting you but have read about you in articles and hope one day to meet you.

I have started to do ultra races now that i am getting on a bit as i know i will never get back to my hayday,but that said i have my Dads vet 60 records to beat so i better keep training hard.

• Pete

Billy knows were coming to the event-

i just wanted a bit of general on it really

good luck with what ever you do -

me i just keep plodding on - i only care about my boy - if he's happy - i'm happy -

he's my life- my whole life

• Will see you at the Blackpool marathon just keep going and stay fit.

bye for now

• Mrs Doubtfire...funnily enough I have got a video of about 30seconds before I came in (hubby pressed record too soon) What you wearing, I'll see if you're on it!

• Pete Waywell

thanks for posting the response about why Wesha Road Runners got the discount. Spot on.

In addition they also provided a 7 minute pacer at a week's notice and an announcer to work with Andy O'Sullivan.

Poorly, I had nowt to do with the results so you'll need to contact Ron to get the Chorley bit removed. I was just lucky to appear on the results with te run I hadimage

• It seems every thread involving Fylde Runners descends into someone slateing them, normally for some long past mistake, the only problem anyone seems to have is the shortage of goody bags which as far as I can tell they were most aplogetic about and are rectifying.

Speaking of this £2 deduction for club runners which seems universal, I'm all in favour of getting a £2 discount but I don't have any desire to be in a running club (got the impression that my local didn't want me) and have to pay for a kit and subs as I'm sure it'd come to about £40 by the time I was done and wouldn't be worth it.

Does a club exist that is basically just an affiliate that doesn't charge you for buying a vest and minimal subs because they don't actually have their own track and training, etc? I'm sure there are plenty out there that don't want to be in a club but don't mind supporting UKA

R

• Any links to a site that have photos of the finish?

The Mick Hall site photographer was located on the lower prom just down the steps from the finish on the middle prom - so I would have hoped for photos of the runners on lap 1 but then the finish.

Rather disappointingly, they seem to have stayed on the middle prom for the duration.

• I thought this was a great run, well managed, great people and a great goody bag! The thing that made it for me was the sandwich at the end, many thanks to that man!
  • BP - I emailed Ron about the Chorley bit and he said he'd get it changed. I'm not too bothered for this race - but in some races I've been the first unattached female and I'm dead proud of that! Not this time though - too many runners!

I'd do the tannoy thing for free - I'd love the opportunity to stand there with a mic and shout stuff like "Number 72 - what ARE you doing behind that sea wall?" And "Number 745 - stop trying to cheat - that was only your FIRST lap. Get round again!".

Big fun image

• Warrington Road Warrior wrote (see)

It seems every thread involving Fylde Runners descends into someone slateing them, normally for some long past mistake, the only problem anyone seems to have is the shortage of goody bags which as far as I can tell they were most aplogetic about and are rectifying.

Speaking of this £2 deduction for club runners which seems universal, I'm all in favour of getting a £2 discount but I don't have any desire to be in a running club (got the impression that my local didn't want me) and have to pay for a kit and subs as I'm sure it'd come to about £40 by the time I was done and wouldn't be worth it.

Does a club exist that is basically just an affiliate that doesn't charge you for buying a vest and minimal subs because they don't actually have their own track and training, etc? I'm sure there are plenty out there that don't want to be in a club but don't mind supporting UKA

R

I joined a club last year when my hubby was off dirt cheap but then realsied when hubbby went back to work couldnt make training sessions still a member though but they have no track etc just meet locally and all run together, no need to buy vest etc

MrsM

•  Great event and brilliantly organised ( as Rons events normally are ). A big thanks to the two 11min pacers, I managed a slow  but creditable 2h 22m 50s . Good day out - onwards and upwards. Well done to all runners and supporters.
  • I liked the tannoy thing too. Nearly jumped out of my skin when he called my name out. image

I emailed a mate a pic of me running the race with the tower in the background, & told her I'd just done the Paris marathon! She believed me for a whole hour!! image

• Have to admit I almost fell over when i turned around when I heard my name called out over the tannoy as I was sprinting for the finish!

didn't take a sandwich myself as was having a meal when i got home, although i do think it's really nice when you get something a little extra at a race that you aren't expecting. For example in the Cardiff HM the goody bag contained an embroidered towel or if they hand you a mars bar

R

• Hi WRW

how's u

clubs are'nt for everyone - it's each to thier own

I'm back with my club, and helping to advice runnenrs on marathon training - but i'm not sure i 'll stay

I'm a loner and always will be

• Had a good explanation on the Wesham RR debate of £5 entry. The club supports both the GNW & Blackpool events, marshalling, water stations etc and have done for a few years big time. As a gesture of support  they where offered this entry fee for 5/6 weeks or so from November, some took it up, most paid the full wack, but then that's Wesham RR, they are one of the best clubs if not the best in the North West.

On another note, I see Barnsley Runner been informed that he is John Broom from Dewsbury is saying he did not get a medal on Sunday, darn cheek, he is not on the results and from what i have heard never entered (isn't this the sort of behaviour he has accused other people of doing including Ron) He sounds like one sad person who probable sits in the same bunker, 24/7,  as his mate soup (from Chorley) just compaining about anything they can stir up a debate on.

Roll on Blackpool in April, I wonder what they will complain about on this one, who care's

Well done everyone on Sunday.

• Cloud Nine - are we sure the full results have been posted?

The race was a 1500 sell out weeks before the event but only 1194 finishers are listed.  I am surprised that over 300 either didn't show or pulled out during the race.

Makes it even more strange that quite a few went home without a medal when 306 of the anticipated 1500 maximum field didn't collect one either.

• I enjoyed the race and have nothing but praise for anyone organising events like this.

As for non runners two of my friends had to pull out due to illness, its just one of those things I suppose in winter running.

• Simon, there is always a non show of runners of approx 20% that enter (some of the bigger events it is more like 30/35% GNR 52000 entries 36.000 plus finishers) so t-shirts/medals/water etc is ordered with this in mind. I gather speaking to Steve the results man that is is normal, be a shame if there was hundreds of unwanted items left over. apparently about 10/15 missed out on Sunday, not a bad estimate by the organisers.
  • Clare Unsworth wrote (see)

Mrs Doubtfire...funnily enough I have got a video of about 30seconds before I came in (hubby pressed record too soon) What you wearing, I'll see if you're on it!

Brilliant!!!!  I hope I am!!!  I am wearing pale blue top with black jogging bottoms, blonde hair in a pony tail, I am number 97 and my husband is just behind in a white long sleeve top and black shorts!!!