Options

Great North West Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Lots of negative thread on here now so lets all be a little more upbeat now shall we boys and girls.

I enjoyed the race throughly:-

*  Drove 3 friends upto the race, they also enjoyed the day - 1 got a PB the other 2 used it as training,

*  The weather was very kind to us, after a worrying start,

*  The other race runners i chatted to where all smiley and all very freindly,

*   I seen the 2 No wheelchair racers at the start, but not after that, they musta been fast finishers!

*  I got me first sub 2hr half - got a smile on me like a cheshire cat

*  The good bag was very good and the medal was of 'Jim will fix it' proportion

*  The race photos make it look like we was in Saint Tropex

* Well marshalled, plenty of water, a drink and sarnie at the end - could ave had a picnic

*   Managed to park for free opposite Gynn square and only 350 yards away

*  Got me sports massage last nite and i am fighting fit - bring it, fly like a butterfly,sting like a bee!!!!

All in all a really well organised race and one i will be doing again next year - so well done from me

• Options

David

We hopefully will run this again next year - i spoke to Lewis McAndrew on the phone today - he 's fine and bubbly and he's pleased most of u had a good day - he wishes and hope all did - but you cannot satisfy all

we did return as we had  a FM on that's all

• Options

Thanks Cloud 9, I didn't realise the drop out rates are so high.

David - I too had a sports massage last night but I feel even more heavy legged today! A little jog is called for tonight before I get back on the 5-a-side pitch tomorrow!

As David said, great day, well organised, weather was very kind, course flat and fast resulting in my third half marathon being inside 1.44 (on my timing image) and 10 minutes inside my previous best.

Looking for another one in late September to early November now at a reasonable price (so that rules out the £29 for the new English half marathon!!!!!!!!). Could choose between Great Langdale, Macclesfield, Fleetwood or Lancaster. Any tips and punts?

• Options

Mrs Doubtfire....were you wearing a cap?

• Options

Hi Simon

are you a runner under one year as your profile suggests - your favourite is marathon-

i only politely ask as i know two of the other races

Great langdale HM 1 lap - FM 2 Laps- HILLY as hell - survival of the fittest

Macclesfield - a nice liitle race with a couple of moderate hills at 5 & 9 ? i believe from memory

Fleetwood, well that has to be flat

Lancaster - ???

• Options

echo what DJ62 says - OK there may have been a few problems, for a few people, but I enjoyed it, and will probably do it again

I parked in Gynn Square and saw the leading wheelchair athlete there before and after - I did sub 1:35 and he beat me. I passed the 2nd at about 11m, so he wasn't far behind. Well done to those guys

And well done everyone else image

• Options

cloud nine

you are spot on  Ron had been accussed of been some one he was not

• Options
    micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)

Hi Simon

are you a runner under one year as your profile suggests - your favourite is marathon-

i only politely ask as i know two of the other races

Great langdale HM 1 lap - FM 2 Laps- HILLY as hell - survival of the fittest

Macclesfield - a nice liitle race with a couple of moderate hills at 5 & 9 ? i believe from memory

Fleetwood, well that has to be flat

Lancaster - ???

My profile has been updated!!

Thought Great Langdale would be a struggle! Plus the temptation would be to camp for the weekend, which isn't the best of preparations for a 13 mile run!!

So its narrowed down to: Macclesfield 27/09 at 10.00am, Fleetwood 13/09 at 9.00am and Lancaster 08/11 at ??

• Options

if it were me having to choose for us-

we'd go do the lot no problem

But it's tavelling and start times - and staying over just 1 night with Phillip isn't easy - and cannot really leave his sick mother too long

But Simon we wish u well

• Options

Simon Langdale is a awesome race but brutally hard,Lancaster is mostly flat on cycle track only one hill and i think a 11 start time,Fleetwood is a flat 2 lap course on the prom that if weather is kind with no wind very fast there is a 10k called the Sotos 10k in june that runs part of the fleetwood half if you fancy having a look at the course and you get a good Quality Tecnical T.Shirt for running it.

As for Macclesfield have never done it sorry

• Options

Peter

you know how to put things don't you LOL image

Yes, Langdale is as u say - but BRUTAL

we've done it in 2:47 - 2;45- and 2:44

Macclesfield is a nice run - but a baby compared to Langdale and Ashbourne

• Options
    Got a sub 1.30 on Langdale on a fantastic day out after camping for the weekend,did the Buttermere round the weekend before Blackpool that really is a tough race 34k with two monster hills in it both along with the buttermere 10 and coniston 14 worth doing for the views alone
  • Options

yes Pete

now your talking -

Buttermere round - 21 3/4 miles, Just so PERFECT  with hills up to the quarry and up to the waterfall - we've never done it on the actual race, but we've done it 3 times on our own on holiday - on a HOT day and on a wet and COLD day - times were around a quiet 8 hours including food and toilet stops

Then - Coniston 14 - yeh, NOT what  i class as a difficult race -  pushed Philip around that 3 times in all - 2:11 - 2:15- and 2:12

The first two were double weekends - each one was followed by on the way home on Sunday running Staffords HM in around 2:00 

• Options
    James 1986 wrote (see)

Pretty well organised, good run and great weather conditions. I knocked nearly 16 mins off my PB to finish in 2:17:39...unfortunatly I got my goody bag with no medal in, but I noticed and they said they would post me one....hopefully they will and it wasnt a fob-off. Cheers to the 10m/m pacer who I stuck with til around 9 miles and then the legs grew tired...GRR...

Hey James your pictures looks familiar... I think that I ran for about a mile with you and gave you a glug of my Lucozade  about 11 miles in.. well done on geting a new PB and whipping a huge chunk of time off it too.  I iwll be back next year chasing a new PB too.. it was great race with a great goody bag.. glad you found your medal...

No Mas image

• Options
      I wonder could somone tell me where i will find the photos for gnw half last sunday .
  • Options

On another note, I see Barnsley Runner been informed that he is John Broom from Dewsbury is saying he did not get a medal on Sunday, darn cheek,

I think that lurking beneath the inability of this poster to construct a grammatical sentence is the accusation that I am claiming I didn't get a medal on Sunday.  I cannot find a post saying any such thing.  I hope the poster has the decency to apologise for that, and for citing a place of residence which I don't even live in!

• Options

In fact if you were to click on the above poster (Cloud Nine) you'll find that he started this thread under the name `Bugsy Malone', changed it to `Proud Preston' a few days ago and has for a few years pretended to be a `Dave Hitchin' from Blackburn whilst tying himself in knots contradicting himself with lies.  He has posted information which only Ron McAndrew or someone very close to him would know.

Ron, please old boy, if you are going to slate me for doing something, get your facts right.  I get my facts right before posting about your races.

• Options

Ron, I would have no need to have claimed I didn't get a medal on Sunday, because, as you will know from following my name so closely, I was running in the Snake Lane 10 at Pocklington.

In fact, despite an indifferent run and finishing 11th, I was pleased to find that there were prizes for the first 15 men, 10 V40s, 8V45 and 5 V50s plus similar in the female categories. Plus a good memento for every runner.

Not bad for a £7 entry fee. 

However I would imagine that with the money you charged for this race the prize list would have been hugely impressive.  Would you care to post up what that prize list was?

It must have been even more weighty with being able to save all those £2s on not providing chip timing as you hinted at early in the thread.

• Options

Thanks for the link JPAtko  ,had a long day no energy left to go hunting for site for photos .

He hasnt got my best side but at least the camera didnt break.  thanks again for the link

• Options

Yer welcome Zebidee,

I was just searching through them as you posted the link, only caught me on 1 foto, and no breakage from me either.

• Options

I was happy with this event on sunday and the value. I got a pb and a decent goodie bag. I cant complain about anything.

However, on page 1 of this thread it was discussed by MT & Bugsy Malone about the championchip timing. On page 2 i asked about this as i had not received mine in the post.
    Earlier this week, i tried to find the site for this race but couldnt, sites that i did find  all said "championchip" timing. I referred back to the first page of this thread and noticed that Bugsy Malone had changed to Proud Preston. Looking again now, i can see that once again the name has changed to Cloud 9.

I,m not going to take sides in any old issues regarding runners who have posted on this thread. What i would like to know is WHY is this posters name changing on a regular basis, WHERE was the championchip as originally advertised and most importantly,WHO is taking the pi55 out of us runners.

• Options

Deputy dawg

well done on your PB    I was there watching   I met some runners from the frecklton site   should have run but broke my ankle   in november   but started again last Tuesday

• Options
    Clare Unsworth wrote (see)

Mrs Doubtfire....were you wearing a cap?

No.........image  boo hoo!  I knew it was too good to be true lol
  • Options

WRW - if your over 40 (35 for women) then you can join these

http://www.nvac.co.uk/membership.htm

cheap membership and gets you the discount on race fees

• Options

oh, did'nt mean to do that

• Options
    that's what i tried doing
  • Options

I am number 8 for stanley park   and looks like I will be doing it