Options

Great North West Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Will be missing that one doing the High Peak 40 the same weekend
  • Options
    That is not true sorry might be doing the half as it is the week before the Rotherham 50
  • Options

High Peak 40?? 40 miles??.....image

Rotherham 50?? 50 miles?? image

"Pete is a ninja.......Pete is a ninja!" image

• Options

If anyone got bored looking through the race photos, the search facility now seems to work so you can just type in your bib number in the search box.

Photos link again for convenience

MT - thanks for saying I'm a nice person.
    Ria Runner tried to besmirch my good name earlier so it's nice to have the balance redressed!

• Options

At risk of giving BarnsleyRunner more fuel, I spoke to Ron on Sunday night and he said it will be 2-3 weeks to get the medals as they're coming from China.

So, RiaRunner, if you hang on a little longer. I'm sure you will get your medal.

As an aside why would anyone feel the need to make so many negative comments about a race they had no intention of entering. Wonder if Mr Broom will run my race at Freckleton or just slate it from afar..........image

• Options

Brian - disappointed to read that you still want to take issue with me.  I thought after our email exchange we were clear where we stood.

I shall make comments about any race I choose to, based on what people who have run it have posted.  This is an open forum.  That's open to Ron to post as himself (rather than a collection of pseudonyms) as well rather than have you act as his mouthpiece.

• Options

Good work with the medal situation.

The problem is I think that they predict how many people are going to drop out before raceday and not need a goody bag and they've slightly misestimated.

I'd be well annoyed though if I got no medal, I love my medal collection (7 and counting!)

Not on any of the photos, they always seem to miss me off. Maybe I look like someone who wouldn't buy a photo

R

• Options
    Having taken part in all of Rons races with the exception of his Marathon Sundays Great North West Half Marathon was the best. I could not fault it, the marshalling was excellent,  the water stations well placed and ample, a very well stocked goodie bag. The 7 minute pacer Lee Barlow ( fellow Wesham runner ) did an excellent job on his 1st attempt!  He never caught me but I'm glad he did'nt. At a time when there is a decline in road races I thank Ron for keeping racing alive on the Fylde. We have lost the Manchster/Blackpool relay, Charles Saer 10k, Eastham 10 mile, Norbreck 10 mile to name but a few local races. If anyone would like my finishers medal for the race they are more than welcome.  
  • Options
    BR - seriously though, why do you take such an interest in Ron's races? Do you really think there is some great injustice occuring and want to make it right. If you had run this race and not got a medal or run Blackpool marathon last year and been robbed of a legitimate marathon PB then I would fully understand it but as you didn't run it is hard to fathom why you are so interested.
  • Options

Pete and Micheal - I am interest in the Fleetwood half. What can you tell me about? On the prom? fast and flat? worth entering?

Cheers guys.

• Options

Oooooh Poorly Feet, Besmirch is a great word!! he he he image

I've no doubt the medal situation will be sorted. I was just responding to someone who asked how many had missed out, as I was 14th from last & they'd run out by then.

Hope I get a medal for the marathon. I kinda want that one on the day. Your first marathon medal is special. image

I've been involved in cock-ups at 2 of Ron's races now. (Missed off results/no time taken & no medal left.) But he always tries to put things right.

• Options

Maxpower

I am not trying to take any ones side here - or have a go at you or any one else

but lets just assume - that Barnsley Runner ( who i do NOT know, ) has a problem with Ron, OR he just voices an opinion - where's theres been an injustice

as I Myself - with my battle with the injustice of FLM and mr Bedford  etc

it is a free country - every one has the right to speak

• Options
    No Mas - Im from Huddersfield. Possible/def races are Wakefield Hospice 10k, Sheffield Half, Great Yorkshire Run, JT York 10k, Great North Run.
  • Options
    Ria Runner wrote (see)

Oooooh Poorly Feet, Besmirch is a great word!! he he he image

RR - I had to look it up first to make sure it was the word I was thinking of!

Mick - you're right, everyone has a right to speak but I'm as intrigued as Maxpower here. There seems to be something deeper going on than general moaning about an individual event (which we all do from time to time). I've only been involved in a couple of threads (this and Freckleton) but Soup has dropped into both, lit the blue touchpaper, and retreated to a safe distance while we all provide the display. It just seems a bit sneaky to me. What is the point of coming onto Freckleton and informing us that the website for Blackpool seems to have expired? I wish he'd just tell us what the problem is. And I suspect, that's what Maxpower's getting at too (correct me if I'm wrong Max).

For the record, I find Barnsley Runner's posts much more sensible. He's far more direct and says what he thinks, which as you say, he has every right to do. Similarly, we've all got a right to question the comments that are left on these open forums. And that's all that Max is doing.

I admire anyone who seeks to right an injustice, but there are ways to go about it. And dropping hints on every thread connected with Blackpool or the surrounding area is just not open and honest enough for me. I'd have far more respect (and probably a lot of sympathy too) if they started a separate thread entitled "Why you should not enter any of Ron McAndrew's races", and tell those who are interested the real reasons why.

• Options

Mick

I totally agree that BR has a right to speak, as do I and I just want to know the reason why he is so passionate on the Blackpool races. I ran Blackpool marathon and it was short, and though it annoyed me at the time you move on.

MP

• Options

X-post - PF says it much better than me image

• Options
    Thanks Max -  but it took me AGES to phrase it like that!
  • Options

i wish i knew what was wrong with BR & Soup

i could say a lot more about things than what i do- but i just don's see the point to be honest

But if they are as angry with things as i am with FLM - then i understand

• Options

Mick - but I bet you told people WHY you were angry about FLM.

If they'd tell us, then I bet we'd understand too. Cos it doesn't make much sense to me when folk post negative comments beforehand about a race they're not running, and then post afterwards too image.

And won't answer questions about whether they've run ANY of the races they're criticising (Soup was asked that and didn't respond)

• Options
    micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see)

i wish i knew what was wrong with BR & Soup

I think that's what the rest of us wish too - then it might make a bit more sense
  • Options

Fair enough BR - all valid points which would wind me up too. Have you tried emaling Ron directly? He's the only one who can give you what you're looking for.

I would have been tempted to ask for a refund for the short marathon. Did you try that?

• Options

BR-  yes indeed fair enough-

But how can u be concretely sure that Ron is those people who you reckon

• Options

BR - thanks for providing such a clear answer. I would agree with PF (for the 2nd time today) and suggest that you contact Ron direct, because if he is coming on here under other names I doubt he would admit it now.

Interestingly, I had been aiming for sub-4 hours last year at Blackpool but had a real nightmare run and ended up run/walking from 20 miles. I expected to come in at 4:15 and was amazed when it was 4:03. I said starightaway it was short and I would think 0.8 miles is about right. Now if I had run sub-4 hours I would have been really p1ssed off because I couldn't never have convinced myself it was legitamate.

Anyway I am going to have another bash at it this year and will trust in BP that it is accurate.

Happy running

• Options

I could email him directly but I was posting on an open forum discussing the race, with those who had done it and others who were thinking about doing it in the future.  My wife would have been seriously interested in doing it, as she prefers smaller events to a mass scrum like FLM.  Blackpool ticks all the right boxes - flat course, not too long a journey from here, right time of year etc.  but reading about so many cock-ups past and present about SRH races has put her right off.  I'm sure BP will measure out a correct course and that Ron will do everything he can to try and get it right this year, but it's too much of a risk to take having read previous reports.

Remember the V50 guy who had put all that physical, emotional and mental investment in the race to clock a 2:42 and believe he was 3rd ranked in the UK last year over the marathon?  Think how gutted he must have been to have that taken away.  The same at all levels, as you say Maxpower, had you `broken' 4hrs then be told you hadn't you'd have been very upset.  We also personally know people who ran it who had the joy wiped from them at news that the course was short.

When it's something you might have trained 70+mpw for in wind, hail, rain and sleet, something you may have neglected work and parts of family life for during a few months, for the race organiser not to have the decency to hold up his hands is very wrong.

MicknPhil - there's many things that make me absolutely sure it is Ron - I could list many contradictions and discrepancies, some of which I already have.  But I'll leave it there.

• Options

Yes i can well imagine had we gone out there and just smashed a sub 4

only to find out hours later the course was wrong - i would'nt be too happy - all that effort and giving it everything

• Options

Simon the Fleetwood half is fast and flat but if windy forget any PB,s have a go at  the Sotos 10k in June it runs part of the course and it is accurate to within a yard and if not windy a massive Pb race.

On the course distances issue i did Barcelona Marathon last year to find on the Garmin i went past 26.2 miles in 2.58 only to find there was anouther 0.6 of a mile to go then did Blackpool and Garmin read 0.8 under distance just shows even big city Marathons get it wrong.

Last years marathon was a cock up due to the council informing Ron on the Friday that he was not allowed to run past Norbreck Castle due to a Boat bieng stuck on the beach where it stayed for a long time this is no excuse but it takes 2 hours to measure a 10k accuratly so even longer to do a marathon and the amount of organizing involved would not give anyone a chance to re measure a race that long that late in the day.

This is by no way a excuse just a fact and i am not trying to take sides.

On a funnier note i turned the High Peak 40 into 45 mile last year try running a extra 5 miles when you have done 40 all ready

• Options

Geroge Kenndy

if you look at www.ukresults.org    for August   the Norbeck 10 mile is back  and it is 2 laps I have entered

simon yates

as posted above   the fleetwood half is flatter then blackpool    also there is a marathon which I guess will be 2 laps of the same course   and a 10k on the day before    I am going for the big one  my 4th flyde coast mararthon   I did that hot one 4 years ago

• Options

one difference between BR and no soup 4u 

BR will answer questains   but soup will not as poorly feet has said  and I know BR lives in the kirkless area of Huddersfield

so If BR can answer     why will soup not   I guess he has something to hide

• Options

MT i think Fleetwood if the same course as last year and not the one from 10 years ago which went down to cleveleys is 2 laps not sure what the marathon is going to be.

• Options

pete

some one said about the norbeck 10 mile that use to be held   that is back in August

I spoke to Ron at fleetwood last time   and he said it was going some where where there a country paths etc     not sure myself   will ask him when I run stanley park

my entry for your sotos 10k was put in the post today   I will be wearing the t-shirt I got from it last year