Great North West Half-Marathon

Comments

• second bit was about the mararthon
  • Michael...Forget about soup now.

Concentrate on getting yourself fitter and faster after the injury you have had. I know you have put your name down for a few races, so the best of luck. Hope you get a few more PBs.

• DD

yes I have forgot him

just done a run and at the moment I am 6 mins slower but when you have had an injury like mine that is to be expected    also swim 3 times a week

just been on friends reunited  put my name down on my school site    looking for my first love from 1987

• Michael

Like you said, 6mins slower is nothing after the injury you had, take you time.

Good luck with your search. What about face book? 

• going to try that tommorrow   shame I can not do the mararthon in april at blackpool   but I will be there in 2010

where you in sundays race     if so I was watching near the finish  I had a dark blue coat on and tracksuit bottoms

• I am glad I just run for the fun of it.
    I like Ron cos as far as I am concerned I got a PB in the 2008 mara even though my race was similar to maxpower`s .
    I would never lose any sleep over 0.8 miles in fact I wish it had been a bit shorter cos my knee was killing me.
    As u can tell i am not an ELITE runner but so what the tail enders are just as important.....in fact we make u lot look even better.
  • SM

I agree   with you there   I get on with Ron very well   without him where would we do flat mararthons etc 

Londons to many in it to run all the way

• WHAT IF.... "NO SOUP 4 U" ......IS ANOTHER ONE OF RON`S PSEUDONYMS
    AND HE IS DOING SO PEOPLE WILL FEEL SORRY FOR HIM ?
    I don`t care I still like him even though I never met him....good lad Ron don`t let them grind you down mate and keep up the good work.
  • Sm you never know

just been on friends reunited to my junior school at Holmfirth   and tracked one of my classmates down to Cornwall

• You are becoming a right Sherlock Homes , Michael.
    I hope you don`t decide to delve into my past.....hee hee hee!
    BTW I am feeling completely better now my leg is not hurting any more but didn`t go out yet today as I planned to.....maybe tomorrow. Then it`s back to some proper running and getting fit for Brathay.
  • James 1986 wrote (see)
    No Mas - Im from Huddersfield. Possible/def races are Wakefield Hospice 10k, Sheffield Half, Great Yorkshire Run, JT York 10k, Great North Run.

James - How weird is that.. I am a Manc that lives in Leeds and my mate who I ran with I picked up in Huddersfield.  I have entered the Sheffield HM and Leeds HM and will be doing Humber Bridge in June too. Just got to do Liverpool and Blackpool again on beforehand.... I am going to do the JT 10k in Leeds on June 21st for a go at a PB and then I'll see later in the year if I can beat it at the Leeds Abbey Dash.  I am on the forums for Sheffield, Leeds and Liverpool.

No Mas image

• I might also do the Humber Half and I will be doing the Abbey Dash...may see you around then! image

• SM

went of friends reunited   found my old school   that I guess BR knows called wooldale   saw the name and knew it was some one out of my class

BR

hope we meet some time

• MT great to here you have entered the Sotos again did you enjoy it and was the t.shirt not the best quality t shirt you have had from a race ???????

Need to speak to Ron will ask him about Fleetwood but the only country tracks round there are skipool to stanah which would make for a very interesting marathon course indeed

• T-shirt was great     I saw Emily she looked well

I started running again last week  after 3 months  out due to broken ankle   swimming 3 times a week

• James 1986 wrote (see)

I might also do the Humber Half and I will be doing the Abbey Dash...may see you around then! image

Cheers for catchin up on another running website.. we should push each other towards a 2hr HM and more.. Keep in touch.

No Mas image

• Yes, Michael maybe at the Holmfirth 15.
  • I am doing OK at running now if not slow

found a old class mate from wooldale school that I use to be at

• Had a look at the GNW results today.  I was struck by the number of people listed as being from a town rather than a running club, e.g. Wigan, Chorley, Blackpool rather than the club from that town - Wigan Phoenix, Chorley Harriers, Blackpool Wyre and Fylde AC.

As Poorly Feet had mentioned being puzzled as why she was down as Chorley when she was unattached I thought I'd look 1 or 2 up on athleticsdata.com, a website that lists results for runners reaching a certain standard in their age group.  I was interested to note that the runner finishing 10th is down as Wigan on the results but unattached on athleticsdata.

This could be a genuine mistake, repeated dozens of times over.  However, if a runner is not listed as unattached on the results, the race organiser would be entitled to keep the extra £2 unattached fee rather than passing it on to the ARC (Association of Running Clubs) who gave the race a permit.

It might be worth those who are unattached and who have paid the extra fee contacting the ARC to double check that their fee has been passed on.

This is the only set of results I've ever seen this phenomenon. 

• A race pays for its UKA licence or its ARC permit based on the number of entries received for the race. It has nothing to do with the number of attached or unattached runners in the race.

The results are compiled by Steve Ashcroft of Shoestring results. He'll be able to explain the use of towns on the results.

There are 2 clubs in both Wigan and Chorley BR, so it is more than possible people have simply put the town. You'll be amazed at the number of people who can't remember if they're in Wigan Pheonix or Harriers, Chrley AC or Harriers. As for Blackpoo Wyre and Fylde, well after nearly 3 years as a merged club we race organisers still get forms from Blackpool AC and North Fylde, as well as those from Blackpool Wyre and Fylde.

• Do you ever get any from Fylde Runners?image
  • I know the permit has nothing to do with the number of runners in a race, but when we organised the Barnsley 10k we had to count the amount of unattached runners in the race and send off the £2 for each of them to the North of England Association (who were the governing body at the time).  Are you saying that now running is governed by UKA or ARC that the same principle does not apply?

Is that what happens to the unattached levies you collect for your races like Freckleton HM?

• Also, I was referring to an unattached runner who appeared as Wigan, not someone who has forgotton which club he belongs to.
  • Brian,

I wonder if you are missing the point that BR was making. A race organiser has to pass on the unattached levy to the body that has issued the race permit - £2 per runner in the case of a UKA-permitted race, 35% of £2 where ARC has issued a permit. As a race organiser yourself you will know this.

The question is, were those runners who had a town name rather than a club name in the results counted as attached or unattached? Ultimately this would affect the amount of unattached levy passed on or retained by the organiser. This would affect the £2 unattached levy paid by Poorly Feet and all those like her.

• BR

will be at Bransley this year   and look forward to doing it     going watching spen 20    and will be in it in 2010

my speed is slowly getting better   but I am not rushing things    going to wait till the sheffield lord mayors 10k  in a month

soup

sheffield and Leeds are bigger events  then Blackpool    sheffield the limit is 5500    Leeds not sure   but done them both year after year   and the support you get  is great

• Barnsley Runner wrote (see)

Had a look at the GNW results today.  I was struck by the number of people listed as being from a town rather than a running club, e.g. Wigan, Chorley, Blackpool rather than the club from that town - Wigan Phoenix, Chorley Harriers, Blackpool Wyre and Fylde AC.

As Poorly Feet had mentioned being puzzled as why she was down as Chorley when she was unattached I thought I'd look 1 or 2 up on athleticsdata.com, a website that lists results for runners reaching a certain standard in their age group.  I was interested to note that the runner finishing 10th is down as Wigan on the results but unattached on athleticsdata.

This could be a genuine mistake, repeated dozens of times over.  However, if a runner is not listed as unattached on the results, the race organiser would be entitled to keep the extra £2 unattached fee rather than passing it on to the ARC (Association of Running Clubs) who gave the race a permit.

It might be worth those who are unattached and who have paid the extra fee contacting the ARC to double check that their fee has been passed on.

This is the only set of results I've ever seen this phenomenon. 

Barnsley Runner - Hope you are well.  I am 8 HM's to the good now..  My friend and I both did the GNW HM and do not even appear on the results page and are unattached??  I have only just looked, I am not to impressed with this as it would appear we have not even participated.... do I email the organiser or a results team or running committee, please excuse my lack of knowledge, I am not aware of the governing bodies etc.

No Mas image

• No Mas i would e.mail both Ron and shoestring results to find out why you have been missed of
  • BR:

Barnsley Runner wrote (see)

I know the permit has nothing to do with the number of runners in a race, but when we organised the Barnsley 10k we had to count the amount of unattached runners in the race and send off the £2 for each of them to the North of England Association (who were the governing body at the time).  Are you saying that now running is governed by UKA or ARC that the same principle does not apply? Yes

Is that what happens to the unattached levies you collect for your races like Freckleton HM? Yes

That is exactly what I am saying. Unattached runners pay and additional £2 whether its an ARC race or a UKA race.

The race organiser pays either UKA or ARC for a licence based on the number of entries. The fee has nothing to do with the number of unattached runners.

I will a total entry of 700 at Freckleton. The UKA licence will cost me £260 (ARC would charge me £210 on 700 entries).