Wednrsday 20th Aug

RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
Now hop a long.......!!!!!!
yes im on my crutchs now with an ankle the size of a water melon..................

The op went well but took double the time as here was much more bone that needed removing that first planned, not only that there was another area as well that didnt show on the x rays / MRI, so that had to be dealt with too.

Off work for 3 weeks, and havent a clue how long will be off of runing now, but looks like Abo will have to be canned imageimageimage The good news is that because its been bone removal, whatever I do I cannot cause any damage to it, my return will all be how I cope and deal with the pain, which at the moment is not too bad and can put tolerable weight bearing on the foot so thats is good news..... (befroe I went down the physion told me that I would be likely not to ba able to weight bear at all and wouldnt be able to for 6-12 weeks...... The surgeon said other wise thankfully....... but is all a waiting game now, stitches come out in 2 weeks and should be refered to physion here soon, and the plan hopefully is to do some cardio work in between, I have my dumb bells here and can do some sit ups, so can do the odd bits and peices.

Thanks for all the support before I went in, very much appriated.

Take care

Comments

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    should say Wednesday.... DOH!
  • Morning,

RFJ - sounds like the op all went relatively smoothly, but like you say, it's all a waiting game now.....and a lot a patience needed!

Felt lousy the last two days and have been sleeping LOADS! image So have missed out on my planned runs.  Feeling better today though and need a break from work, so....

What: lunchtime run around the park, after work: hill session

Why: I need to get out and stop falling asleep!

Happy running (sorry, hobbling for some).

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

best wishes for a speedy recovery RFJ. 

I didn't run yesterday and hoped that today I'd be fresh and bouncy and have good run. No such luck.

What: 8 miles
    Why: it's wednesday and I try to run longer on wednesdays
    Last hard: all of that was

I should have done 10 today but couldn't do it. I don't know what the matter is but every run is hard right now.  HR way up on where it should be, legs heavy and tired.  I'm having trouble getting to sleep and don't sleep well when I do eventually drop off. 

So I'm grumpy.

have a good day all.

• Morning folks.

RFJ - take care and here's hoping for an uneventful recovery.

AF - sounding pretty positive (I note you're already doing longer runs than I am, but I'd expect nothing less!).

Tom - also good to hear the odd positive vibe slipping in there.

BR - athleticsdata must have been updated overnight, as my 74.25 is on there now image)  To fill in a few details (think I reported last Tuesday perhaps?), it was a completely solo run. 3 others went off hard at the start, including StuartG who ran 70.08(!). First 2 ran sub-69, and I finished in a lonely 4th place. My letter's already gone to FLM about a Championship start, but no reply as yet. Hoping to get one soon, as knowing for definite that I'm on the Champs start before the Glasgow HM will dictate how I approach that race...if the pressure's off, I've maybe got nothing to lose by pushing for a 73.xx...if it's not, I'll maybe be a little more cautious.

Moving on, once again it's absolutely tipping it down here in Glasgow. Supposed to brighten up later in the day, but if not, it's going to be a couple of soggy runs ahead.

Training for today...

What: lunchtime - 4 or 5 easy miles, pm - club session (it's a tough one tonight...aiming for 10-11 miles inc. 8 miles @ around HM pace/effort, though the weather may be a bit of a factor here)
    Why: lunchtime - recovery, pm - speed/aerobic endurance

Have a great day.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Scobos, my 74.23 got me on the Elite start last year :~)
    Oh and you know you are joining me on the 73.xx express !!!!

RFJ, job done now don't rush back be patient

What: 10miles d&d
    6 miles mtb d&d
    4-8miles around lunchtime
    Why: easy day in target 140 week
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: 8th August
  • RFJ - Blimin eck! Somehow I've missed your problems. Glad to hear that whatever's gone wrong is now on the mend. Sorry to hear about the problems - ignore Abo - that's just a distraction and is obviously not important,

Catchup and mava both sound down and unbouncy - hope the bounce returns.

I loved watching the ladies 10k swim this morning - it's like watching a distance running or cycling race in treacle - I knew the sprint was coming.... they could definitely work on improving the tv coverage and the commentators though... Interesting also to watch Shiraz watching... she was definitely working out how much quicker they were than her and toying with ideas....

• What: Run? Bike? Swim?
    • Why: The olympics seems to have had a huge impact on my training...

Have a great day all

• Morning All

Glad the op went well , RFJ.
    Gobi are you including the cycling in the 140M image.

What: 7-8M Gentle
    Why: Just ticking over
    Last Hard: Sunday

I know the lyrics image

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Glad you op was a success RFJ - time for some "big picture" patience

Holly - I too enjoyed the 10k swim, but they need some lanes in that rowing lake for swimming, to stop the drafting. The 2 GB fillies put a gold medal on a plate with a sprig of parsley on the top for the Russian.

Another 60/30 brick y'day and another one today. elastic laces and speedy transtions were practised too - ready for Sundays 2nd donning of the pirate colours.
  • Brilliant news Scobos.  And my 74:21 got me on there 4 years ago.  Maybe ring them up and ask to speak to the Championship entries co-ordinator.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    UH, no 140 is running only
  • Good news about the operation, RFJ, hope your recuperation goes well!

mava and Catch-up - sounds like you two have some sort of bug; rest loads and keep eating (Catch-up especially) as well as drinking lots of water!

Scobos - excellent result!

What: painting the lounge maybe a teeny run later to assess the situation
    Why: needs doing image

BMXing in the Olympics?! Whatever next; egg and spoon races?

((cue all the BMX purists shouting))

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    FL - I agree, I thought BMXing was something you did outside the Co-op whilst you wait for someone over 18 to come along and buy you some Cider.
    Not that I ever had a BMX bike.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Glad all went well RFJ...I remember Marty Liquori ran sub 4 min mile 6 weeks after having his leg in plaster! He did a couple of months of upper body work (2 or 3 times a day I believe)image

Mind you, I ought to take this on board...struggling to walk with this calf injury, never mind run. Went swimming on Monday and it has been much worse since. Like RFJ I need to be patient, which is not my strongest suit.

Lyrics: nope!

Just planning my tactics for the Olympic egg and spoon and wheelbarrow races. Was going to do three legged with RFJ but only got two good ones between us.image

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

RFJ - Glad to hear the op went okay. Hope you are back running soon.

Scobos - Cracking half, well done.

Not been on here for a while as work is hectic. Hope the PB's are still coming.

What: 10 miles with 5 at 10km race pace.
    Why: Someone offered Gobi money to kill me.
    Last hard: This morning actually. You people try racing a 10k, all by yourself at 4 in the morning, surrounded by total darkness.

Wednesdays will get me injured, ill, dead or running faster. I am telling you it's not pretty.

I was watching something called Handball on the telly the other evening. Those guys are serious athletes, especially the guy in goal who always wears an expression similar to a one legged man at an arse kicking contest.

Have a good one.
  • Maybe there should be an alternative Olympics where other sports/past times (that we are good at) should feature? I'll start with the whistling incredibly loud event!
  • So, are we starting an Olmpics where we think of something we are good at and then make it an event so we can win a medal?  I can move one eyeball whilst keeping the other still...but it's a bit hit and miss, so I might only get silver...

What: 5.5M including 3M tempo later on
    Why: half mara training
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: yesterday

Bit of a scratchy cough today, so will have to keep an eye on that...

• Morning all,

RFJ - good to hear it went well, as stated, patience!

FL - welcome home and tough on the ankle again! Stick with it!

Sportaloo - youy love it really!

What: Probably brick session with emphasis on the run. 3-5 miles 'pedal standing' hills on the bike then 8 mile hilly run.

Why: Working on those jelly legs after transition

Last Hard: Sunday

Have an awesome day

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

RFJ - glad the op went well and wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.
    My old PE teacher had a thing about minor sports at school, we used to play volleyball, basketball and handball quite regularly, I used to enjoy all three, but none were particulraly easy to carry on with our outstanding array of facilities in this country....Don't mind BMX really anything that gets the chavs interested in the Olympics can't be that bad, and I won't miss the demise of softball , and what about ping pong....and don't get me started on synchronised swimming....

Yet I digress...club night last night, 10 x 90 sec hill repeats, 90 sec jog recovs. Maybe pushed it a bit too hard - I stayed with the fast group - and legs felt stiff today. Just been out for an easy 5 mile recovery along Embankment. Can't wait for winter and a thinning in tourist numbers....

• Afternoon all,

Tom:  Good to hear from you.  Hope things look up.

RFJ:  Healing vibes.  Good lyrics - I'll have to dig the headband and vinyl out. 

Scobos:  That must be why I keep missing the 73:XX bus!

Olympics where we think of something we are good at and then make it an event so we can win a medal?  It can only be flatulence. 

• What:  5m.  4th week back, 45miles mostly on road
    • Why:  Working up to week 9
    • Last Hard:  N/A
    • Last Rest:  28 days

Have a good one!

• Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭

A very sodden (sodding?) 8 miles at lunchtime for me. Relatively steady pace most of the way - not a day for hanging about really.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Haven't posted since last week as don't always get time to go online when I'm at home, so have to wait until I'm at work where I have loads of free time image

RFJ, wishing you a speedy recovery.  Obviously I've missed the finer details of your injury but I hope that the op was a success and that you bounce back quickly.

I did once think that a Championship FLM place was within my grasp but I think I'd struggle to get near to my PB these days - not sure how possible it would be with more limited time to train and little opportunity for any decent rest and relaxation.  That said, my general running is certainly at a faster pace than it was pre-pregnancy.  If I just went out and ran without any real plan in mind I'd probably average about 8:10 - now I'm looking at 7:50.  Planning an autumn 10K so we'll see where I am.

What: 6 miles steady.
    Why: Last night's 5 miles steady turned into 5 miles fast as the heavens opened!
    Last hard: Running in Wales last week.  Hilly, wet and WINDY!
    Last rest: Monday.

Have a good day all.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

rfj healing wishes to you!

catch up, did you manage lunch time???

mava wish you bounce like holly

and holly, I can just imagine Shiraz's brain over working!

What: 3 miles this morning v early

why: club handicap 5 miler in my legs from last night

last hard: last night 5 mile race and sunday half mara, that made mince meat of my legs!

last easy: sat

take care all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Wabo - nooooooo! It;s horrible, I'm stuck at work with too much  to do and stupid deadlines and now people have started turning up for the leeds festival and blocking all the roads so i can't get home!!!!!! However, I'm still planning the hills session in an hour or so AND I've used my charm and I'm working from home tomorrow - yey image imageimage

Sooooo, then tomorrow I can do some running on the morning and not feel too tired like I have lately when I finish work. 

Mava - I was the same a few weeks ago, then I decided just to take it easy and stop pressuring myserlf to go out all the time and train and suddenly I started enjoying it again. Still a little slower than I wanted with i was enjoying which is the main thing. I think it must be phases that we go through or if we;re not feeling too good.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Youve got it AF,

LOL at the 3 legged race Alehouse...

Bizarrly enough either the pain killers are very good of I am doing well with pain management, dont have full sensation in toes though, but was told that could be the case due to nevres being damaged, now have to wait to see if that comes back.

Thanks for all the kind comments, I plan to bounce back and work hard, but only in line with what I can take..... so will have to be patient and listen to my body.....

Take care

• RFJ - good luck to recovery.

BMX at the Olympics - well last time I looked we were doing rather nicely. Think NZ will think it's good they were includedimage

What: 6 miles easy with mates, the Olympics the discussion of the day.

Good running everyone.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

RFJ - Hope you have a smooth recovery and look forward to you coming back stronger than ever

yesterdays lyrics as you might guess were Europe singing The Final Countdown.
    Next time i'll post lyrics from an obscure group from Lithuania image

As for BMX biking i'm all for it better than some of the silly sports that have been included. Its still a race. If i had the guts and was 20 years younger i would do it

Been feeling a bit up and down today, the ups generated by Usain Bolt how fab was that and Tasha Danvers Smith getting a bronze. I love the look on her face and others like her when they realise they got a medal. A nice surprise

I did go for a run just a shorty some would claim it was junk miles but i did it anyway

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Lryics today - Telegraph Road by Dire Straits
  • Evening, didn't manage a run after all today, and didn't do the painting as the plaster still isn't dry!

Still, wanted to tire myself out a bit so wheeled out the mountain bike veteran of last year's trans pennine trail ride. It's a bit heavy as it's a cheap brand, but is fairly fast. I managed to get the old bird up to 34.5mph down one hill (the legs are much stronger thanks to the cross trainer) and did a total of 15M on a hilly route in 65mins!

Foot still sore so thining that I defintely need to go and see someone about it, or my days of running will all be behind me. I do think that my walking/running style encourages my ankle to roll outwards (supinate), and therefore increase my risk of turning it, so need to correct this problem sooner rather than later. Since the ankle twist and sprain, I have a pain under my ankle bone on the inside of the foot every time I try to run.

Ahah - reading an ankle sprain info website, maybe my medial ligament is the thing giving me pain on the inside of the foot. Best I get it sorted or my marathon aims won't happen!

• Hmm, alternative olympics.  If its wheelbarrow races I'll volunteer to sit in the wheelbarrow (but not be the wheelbarrow if it's that sort of wheelbarrow races.  I hardly dare imagine the conduct of the judges in AF flatulence class.  Mind boggles and won't.  Independent eyes, penetrating whistles - I should recommend my son to enter for the loudest click.  When he was in primary school "no clicking" became an official school rule.  It hurt.

mava, catchup, hope a rest will see it right.

RFJ, now at least the op is behind you.  Here's a bucket of patience.  Hang around.

minks - They aren't really little very long.  I reckon you'll get your crack at championship starts in a couple of years.

Scobos - here's hoping your 74xx will do the trick with the FLM committee.

Tom - rumour has it things are looking up?  I will have to read back.

Wednesday is supposed to be run from work with our running group day.  I've been struggling recently, and frankly, didn't know whether I'd have leg enough to lead the group, so didn't send out the reminder, rather trusted no one would turn up.  But I went out anyway.  To start it felt horrid, took a mile before it loosened up  I decided on my minimal loop through the fields, just got a third of the way, stopped to stretch when one of the lads turned up, evidently delighted to have found me.  I sent him on the long way and  took the short cut myself and we met up again with just enough road left that I could try and stretch out to a nearly respectable pace.   

Say not the struggle naught availeth.  It was a very much happier bunny that came back than went out.

Take care all.  Hope to run again on Friday. 

• RFJ: Good news and very upbeat report, glad to hear that you are not in dire trouble.

Scobos: that sub 1:15 sounded like a tough outing without having to do it solo.

Minks: You keep it going girl, I think that you're doing really well.

Personally it's CBA season here. I did 21 miles on Friday and was completely washed out all weekend. On Tuesday the whole family went swimming, and I discovered, yet again that my problem with front crawl is an inability to take on enough oxygen. Actually, I take in plenty of oxygen, only it's mixed up with twice as much hydrogen.

Anyway, progress today as I got some inspiration from a chap I met at work who routinely pops marathons in 2:35. At FLM08 that was a 2:35 including several stops for tea breaks and to stretch out back spasms. It motivated me to get my backside of of the door and plod my 6.5 mile hamster wheel run at 7:30 pace. Not only that, I finally got around to sending in my FLM application cheque. Next stage is to persuade the Mrs that London is a really nice place.

Tomorrow is race day: final in the 5k series, and the last chance for me to get a proper pb on the new length course, with a golden gong aim of the 18:15 Athletics data standard of recognition.

On the Olympic sports that really ought not to be there:
    - tennis
    - football
    - beach wobblyball
    - cycling whilst holding hands (madison)
    - chasing a moped on a bike
    - synchronised swimming

And sports that really ought never to be considered
    - baseball
    - cricket

- Aussie rules and American rules football
    - darts

But sports that I think really should appear
    - lacrosse, preferably mens, but if the women want to play by the full contact rules then I'll accept them too.

- sumo wrestling
    - tossing the caber

- pig sticking - OK maybe not.