Bath Half-Marathon 2009

2»

Comments

• I did it in 2003 and found it overcrowded at the start then. The goody bags had all gone by the time I arrived at the finish. Can't imagine what it must be like now.

As for "the second largest half marathon", surely Reading and Bristol are bigger? No?
  • I agree I gave it a good write-up in 2007 and was prepared to overlook losing my bag as a one-off which is why I gave it another chance in 2008.  Unfortunately it was a mistake to do so on my part. 
  • I really enjoyed it in 2007. It was overcrowded at the start for sure, and again last year, but I can deal with that, but I do think tighter marshalling at the start would help. I was stood in the 90 minute area and people were talking about sub 2 hours!? People just pushed through the barriers.

I would agree that as a runner last year seemed disorganised. I think the weather could have been predicated and the fact we all had to trapse off into town to find somewhere to hide from the weather before the start was really poor. The runners village was a boggy mess.

I also understand that there were people at the back of the field who did not get t-shirts because gready people at the front took 2! Perhaps marshals could have controlled this but it is more dependant on us as runners being considerate to other runners (god knows why you would want 2 free race shirts - I've got a warddrobe full of them if anyone wants any!).

Having said all that it will take a lot to put me off this race. I thought 2007 was overall very well organised. I expect the start to be busy anyway, I am usually running half marathons with 1000 others, not 10000-15000 - this is part of what makes Bath special for me - it feels like a 'big' race. Perfect timing for London and a very fast course. When the run actually starts I find the atmosphere very uplifiting.

The organisers made a frank apology for the issues last year and I do expect it to better this year (compare that with the Nike Human Race organisers!). Overall the race is local to my 'home' (where I grew up anyway) and is one of my favourite races of the year, really looking forward to it and hoping for sub 80 minutes this year.

• Oh and good luck to the organisers, few of us know what is invlvoed in organising a major event like this (I have), I have never entered a big city race where there has not been some problem with overcrowding or signage or something (and I include in that the Berlin Marathon which was the best organised race I've run in) - I come expecting things to take longer. For me I was impressed with the statement the organisers made ont heir website last year and their list of improvements for this year seems to have taken into account exactly what many people suggested - cannot really ask more than that. Particularly additional park and ride buses and better signage from the park and ride drop off to the village (as there were quite a few people who had not been to bath before and so were not sure which way to head, thankfully enough locals to point them the right way).
  • I too found the problem of people quite obviously being in the wrong pens particularly frustrating.  I remember last year at about 1 mile in suddenly coming across a pair walking.  Now I couldn't fit in the pen I wanted as it was full so found myself further back but these were obviously NOT in the right pen.  How does an organiser deal with this though - I sure as hell don't know and i guess you'll get it from these big races.!

Last year the contractor that failed to turn up was significant and in hindsight could possibly have been managed better, however, to run the race without would have been dangerous and so the right decision was made and hopefully will never happen again.

Personally I do feel that the bottleneck at the end, diverting people into the Rec is a BAD idea and some of the roads surrounding the Rec could be used - this time I'll not be using the Rec at all if I can avoid it, grab my medal and ONE t-shirt and then get the hell out of there!!  It will be busy at the end when the bulk of runners come in regardless what they do.

But above all, I'm gonna make the race my own this year and not get hooked up on all these 'problems'!

• You make some good points Mark about using the surrounding roads - I guess it depends on licenses, road closures etc. Regarding the pens I think it's just a case of tighter barriers and marshalling (although overall I think the marshalls are great at Bath). Take the Berlin Marathon (I guess London too but I have not done it), they just print a letter on your number and you have to go into the pen which corresponds to your letter. I think they do something similar at Bath its just not been as tightly enforced. This is not about being and arsey club runner at all, I would get in the way of plenty of faster runners if I was in the wrong pen - just about allowing people to get the most out of a very fast course (if they want to).

Everytime I have finished the Rec has been pretty clear and there was no bottle necks but I could see how this could get busy as more runners come through. I'm with you on the finish overall - just want to grab my t-shirt, some water and get off - which is always a pleasure of small races. As the organisers say to some degree you come to big race like this expecting more delays. Hopefully the improve park and ride frequency will really help.

I am looking forward to it already and I am racing most weekends, I think it's a great race.

• I think one of the problems are the first timers that have done the race and then like to have a gossip with their mates about this that and t'other and then hang around to wait for their other mate, etc., etc.  Now I don't want to be hard on people but surely it is better to get out and meet up somewhere else -rather than in front of the exit to The Rec!!!!  I kinda expect to be slated for that now!

As you say all these problems are just something we have to put up with at big races simply because there are so many more people to manage!

Rather than take the park and ride I decided to park up at the supermarket on the way out of Bath and walk the 15 minutes in...walking back was a nice way to cool down too - even with the blister!  I think I'll do the same this year!

• I would persinally agree on the hanging around - i'd rather do that in the pub or with some fod but I do understand it's different for others and for many people it is such a fantastic sense of achievement they want to saviour the moment - quite rightly.

Good idea on the parking - I think I may go for that this year regardless of the improved park and ride - much less stressful that way and at least then you are in control. 

• I would personally agree on the hanging around - i'd rather do that in the pub or with some food but I do understand it's different for others and for many people it is such a fantastic sense of achievement they want to saviour the moment - quite rightly.

Good idea on the parking - I think I may go for that this year regardless of the improved park and ride - much less stressful that way and at least then you are in control. 

• I would personally agree on the hanging around - i'd rather do that in the pub or with some food but I do understand it's different for others and for many people it is such a fantastic sense of achievement they want to saviour the moment - quite rightly.

• Cycling there on the Bristol bath cycleway could work.

Check out Bristol Running Resource for lots of local club and race information, plus more local stuff, plus stuff that isn't local (but not much of it)!

• I too was 'fed up' after last year's debacle - but it was exceptional circumstances.  I have run (plodded) this race for many more years than I care to remember and have always enjoyed the race due to the crowd support - and it is my local race.  So although I find the cost of entering extortionate  (and I was annoyed there was no reduction as an affiliated club runner) I am mindful of the fact that I am saving on petrol costs.  I am also aware that my (very) local Half Marathon in Midsomer Norton, is not happening this year due to the time and energy it takes to fulfil all the regulations and  the costs of road closures deemed necessary by our local council.  I hate to think how much it is costing to close the whole of the city centre, plus dealing with all the regulations/safety aspects for 15,000 runners plus their meeters and greaters.

I say. lets give this race another chance - I'm out to enjoy it - I won't be fast (I blame that on my age - though I've never been fast!) but I know it is a race where people will cheer me round the course and through the finish no matter what.

Good luck to all .especially first timers and all those raising money for charity.  Let's hope for perfect running weather this year!

• Now that I've got my number and all the good stuff,I too am looking forward to this years event.
    It certainly looks as though there are already many improvements on last year,especially the new style of "wave start". Hopefully the marshalls are a little bit more prepared this year?

I love the bit about the event being a non smoking one!
    As one who has never touched the evil weed I still find it "amusing" to see some "athletes" limbering up with a Woodbine dangling from their lips!

I wish the director,marshalls,helpers and the runners especially all the best for the day.
    Let's make the Bath Half the best yet!

• YOU GOT YOUR NUMBER ALREADY?!?!?!  Where's mine?  Actually it's probably still in the postman's sack stuck under a pile of frozen snow!