Newbies 2

Comments

• Evenin' all....welcome Barry

Right.....nightmare over here! Went for my run, ended up doing 4.74 miles in 35.53. It all went wrong. Firstly my ankle wasn't happy, so i carried on regardless, that then came good after 2 miles. Then my right knee on the outside became a problem? I had that when i first started running but it went off and i guess where i havn't run for a week it's doesn't like it? Anyhow, i cut the 7 miles down as i was in a bit of trouble. The Camelback i used but not much but seemed to be pretty handy...it looks like i'm going to be out again for a while as my ankle is now tight again now it's relaxed.  This running lark doesn't seem too friendly right now!!

• Hi all,

As I'm newish to this malarky I just wondered - people with injuries (I've yet to get one, touch wood!) - I would just NOT run at all, if I had a bad foot/ankle....just do mild walking or very minimal activity on the part that is damaged, but is that the right thing?  So many people with injuries just seem to hack through it and get on with the running and do little resting with it?  Or is that my kak handed perception?  What's the best thing when you have an injury? Almost total rest or just keep on? 

Sorry to hear of your injuries AJ - hopefully running will be more friendly to you soon! image

• Hi all I'm with Diane on the running while injured thing so am curious what people say they do. Then again if it just feels like a little twinge I'll exercise through it to stretch out the muscle.

I've checked my ipod from the other day and I had my time/distance completely wrong. I did 2.19km with a pace of 7.51min/km. That doesn't seem to be too bad to me...

Hope your ankle improves soon AJ. Is the knee problem because you change your gait when your ancle starts to hurt?

• Wlesh Chick, thought "wow that was fast", then realised its in min/km! you may be metricised in Denmark but we're still in miles here in UK! so no idea whether thats good or not!

glad ran yesterday as POURING down now.

• Oh I'm not really metricised either it's just my new country is, lol. I decided to set up my ipod in metric to try and force my brain to convert... I had to go to google to find a conversion it's 12.07min/mile. I forgot to mention earlier that workout session I was doing a mix of fast running and walking with what I class as my slow steady run to warm up.

• I think when it comes down to injuries, it's a case of knowing your body.  If I feel I've just got aching muscles then I'll go for a run, maybe taking it a bit easier to start with.   I've got quite weak ankles (ankle actually - the left one!) ,  if I get ankle pain I recognise it and know I need to rest it for a couple of days. 

I fortunately haven't had any other aches/pains (other than the odd blister), but would hope to think that if I get pain I haven't had before I'll not run, rest for a couple of days, see how it is, and if it's still a problem get down to the GP to check it out.....

By the way, speed wise, I'm pretty slow averaging anywhere between 11:30 and 12:30 min/mile over a 3 or 4 mile route.  (don't know what that is in kms). Sure I'd be much faster if I only ran one mile now!

• Hi Lxr, thanls for the speed info it's so hard trying to figure out what kind of pace to use. I tend to run at a speed my body likes but I do love the endorphin rush I get when I push myself imageimage
  • Chaps

Update on progress...

Feeling good; programme is managable so far. Was on business for 2 days - got back yesterday late and despite being tired and lagged I still went out for my run.

I hope I can keep up this momentum.

Next run - Sat morning (just before my bro's wedding).

Lovin' it.

Song of they Day:      Heartbreaker - Will I Am

• Hi Ryan,

I'm very impressed. You're making me feel bad. I think I'm going to have to drag myself to the gym tonight. I gave up on the gym this morning as I got woken up at 3:00 by the anchor chains again. just waking up by what sounds like a train going through the corridor and your entire room shaking.

Going running before your brothers wedding sounds very impressive. Are you getting addicted to the endorphins?

• Morning everyone!

WC, the treadmills i use offshore are in kmph, i walk at 6.5 and run at 7.5, the running feels quite slow but i know that i can run for longer at that pace, im going to start trying to speed it up once i can run for 30mins. Need to calibrate my watch still so its telling me that my average pace outside is around 8-9kmph but im sure im not going that fast!

Well done Ry, sounds like your really getting into the running malarky!

Sorry to hear about your ankle and knee AJ.  If the pain doesnt go away it might be worth seeng your doc?  Were your shoes fitted for your feet etc? Wondering if they could be causing the niggles? Sorry if youve said that already!

Thats good youve managed to fit time in for running Diane!  Would be a shame to leave the dog at home!

Enjoy your hols Jac if your not away already!

• Welsh Chick

It's still my only 1st week - I can only hope I can keep it up. I've tried and failed to keep up routines before.

This time round I am trying to be more preapred though - have all my kit ready so it makes it easier to get out. Put on my shorts as soon as I can. Also bought a cheap 4gb mp3 from tesco that I have filled with tunes so I have have to faff around with playlists etc on my other player.

You lack of sleep can't be helping you !! Sounds a nightmare! Is this a regular disturbance for you?

Are you a newbie too?

• Hi Ryan, I'm a newbie image I'm on week 3 but haven't done anything this week. As you've probably gathered I work offshore and have just switched onto days. Being woken up in the night is normal for me. I work on drilling rigs and they are never quiet. I'm not sure if Nik's rigs are quieter. Last night I went to bed super early and managed to get 6 hours sleep before being woken up then dozed for 2 hrs so I should have caught up now. I'll have to go to the gym either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Nik I walk very quickly normally around 7 on the treadmill, I think I need to find a pace that I can maintain for 30+min that is a little bit faster than my slow run. My slow run feels a lot like a fast jog I don't fget to stretch my legs.

• Hi all,

WC i think you should just up the pace by 1 or 1.5 and see how long you can keep it, you can always take it back down and catch your breath then take it back up if you feel better. I don't then to run at any one particular speed but cvary it quite frequently both up and down from my starting pace (about 10km)

meglet, how did you find your progression run? I found that one or two of those incorporated in my runs has done wonders. I jusmped from barely being able to do 2 miles (at all) and taking some 16min p/m to running last sunday (just under as it turns out) 9 miles in 71 mins. Not all down to progression runs but they really helped (i think).

Barry, i'd go with a collection of socks, the gadgets are too expensive and bra's just aren't practical, although you could always use them to hold the headphone lead in placeimage

Ry, I'm sure you'll keep it up, eveyone on here is so supportive and helpful and just generally interested in how everyone else is doing that it really helps keep the motivation up - and you'll probably find that in a few weeks you'll be completely addicted to running and the feeling it gives (plus health benefits) that you'll get anxiety pains (like AJ myself and Nic and any others who i may have forgotten - sorry) when you don't/can't run for a few days. Oh the misery...image

Diane, no i don't think anyone else noticed that (or they did and just didn't think it was funny)...I'm glad you did, i was hoping someone would 

Now, any advice, my calf is still a little sore but a lot less so than the last few days. i want to go for a gentle run tonight before i head out for dinner with the gf, but i have a 10k on sunday. Should i go?

• Hi Mark, I would rest it & have a lovely big carb laden dinner tonight with the GF.

I went out last night wearing flatties with gel insoles (not exercising though just at pub!). My heel seems to be on the mend as I have no discernible pain in it today so hopefully will be able to start doing some impact again next week! Have been out on my bike a bit this morning but that is only cause I was too hungover to drive, ha, ha!

Have been a way on a course all week so haven't had time to catch up on the posts, hope everyone is well!

Love Osa xx

• Hi Mark - I've got my 5K race on Sunday and not heading out again until then.  However, If you want to see how your calf is then maybe just do 2 miles or so to see how it fairs.  You don't want to risk making it any worse, as you'll only have 1 rest day to recover.  Good Luck!

• Hi guys/gals

Nic i'm using asics but not sure which model but no they weren't fitted in a shop. They have been great up to now so i think it's more me than them. Just doing to much too soon i guess? My ankle isn't good and has pins and needles in it now also which is weird. I'm going to be out for a couple of weeks i'd guess but i will use my Eliptical Cross Trainer as using that seems to be fine as there is no impact. A bit gutted to say the least but i will be back...big style!! I will keep posting so wont disappear from the forum image

Happy running people, be safe and...... NO INJURIES!!!!!

• Thanks Osa, lxr, I think you're right. I may give a gentle session on the bike tonight so no impact but just enough to get the blood pumping (and i can try out the new hrm!!!) i'm looking forward to giving it the maiden voyage for the 10k...
  • AJ, those pins and needles don't sound too good. have you been wearing a support? Have you RICE'd it? that may help, and just being quite gentle with it in general.
  • Hey Mark

To be honest no i havn't done anything to it other than just rest....no support either! I will get one sorted out for when i go out next though, it's not all over....far from it!

• mark,

actually realised after reading about progression runs that i do that quite a lot. i like to start out fairly slow, otherwise i just run out of energy and it feels too hard. somehow it is easier to gradually up pace in last half of run, and really motor for last bit, i suppose cos you know you will be able to stop soon! by that point i just want to finish! but i do wonder if am am starting out too slow.

re your run tonight, just go and do 20min or 2miles to keep legs ticking over. i would also try with HRM as you dont want to be into 10k and find it rubs or something, you shouldnt really try anything new on a race day.

for WC my pace is usually 10.5-11.5min/mile, sometimes as much as 12.5

ps still raining, hope it clears up for the wedding ryan!

• AJ, definately Ice it up (the old bag of peas in a teatowel is best i find) and a support should really help it. I tend to keep wearing the support for a few weeks even if it feels better, just to keep it safe for a while until i know I'm back feeling 100%

i think you're right i don't want it to rub or anything like that. I hate chafing.

• WC my rig isnt a drilling one so it much quieter, just a bit of moving about and noisy HVAC! You have my sympathies with the lack of sleep though i hardly sleep for the 2weeks im away and never feel rested! Its a miracle i can drag my ass to the gym!

Ry, im in agreeance with Mark, im completely hooked yet scared of running at the same time! Just keep it up and keep checking in here and you will be fine!  Just think of your goals!

Speaking of goals, hows everyone getting on with theirs?

It might just be a case of too much too soon AJ.  Pins and needles dont sound good though!  Glad to hear you wont be disappearing from the forum! RICE is the way to go, hopefully you wont be down for long!

Glad to hear your heels on the mend Osa!  You will be back running in no time!

Incase I dont get another chance to say it, Good luck with the 5km lxr!! Is it your fist 5km? Do you have a goal time for finishing it? Sorry you've probably said already!

Enjoy your meal tonight Mark! Is this an apology one for buying the watch haha?!

• Oh mark, I've just thought of a reason for why your gf didn't complain about the watch... she's been buying clothes etc for your night out.

AJ I have to agree with Nik, pin's and needles doesn't sound good. Do you know if the shoe's you bought are the right type for your feet? If you have a look at your wet footprint it will tell you what kind of foot you have and then you could google or look here for your shoes to see if they are ok for your feet.

Mark if you change your mind about the bra you could use it for holding your gel's.

• imageWC I could give it a go I suppose, although not for a while as my next run will be the 10k on sunday nothing new for race day!  i think you're right there was a very strange rustling sound in the wardrobe the other morning when she was getting something out...i think it was the sound of new closthes still in the tissue they were wrapped in at the counter!

speaking of which, i'm re-evaluating my target time back down towards 60mins. After my exploits last sunday i thought i'd be quicker, but i guess the nerves are kicking in. Oh hell i'll put it on here. I am aiming for 48 to 50 minutes (but probably will miss out on that).

• Good luck with the 10km on Sunday Mark! You will be fine and im sure you will make your target, and if not then its something to work towards for the next one!!

That rustling of tissue is a dead giveaway! Ive used the line "ive had this for ages..honest" many a time!

• Hey Mark, I bet she bought clothes or shoes.

If you run less than 60min congrats and if you try and don't get under 60 at least you'll know you did your best and you'll have something to aim for next time.

• Yes Mark, good luck for Sunday! My nerves are terrible already & my duathalon isn't til next Saturday!

CJBA - thanks for all the advice, I have been doing loads of the stretches you recommended, think that has really helped!

Osa x

• thanks everyone, I'm sure i'll calm down a little once i'm there and running, or if not they'll get me through on adrenalin alone. Sounds a little like a win win to meimage

Osa, i'm sure you'll be fine. How's the foot feeling now(sorry i'm sure you've mentioned already)?

It turns out it was new shoes that she bought,

• Well, that was lovely, wet and windy today!!

Greetings folks, bit absent over last few days, No 2's b/day today (special cake, No 1 child's idea, make normal sponge cake, then add Skittles-sweets not toysimage into cake mix just before baking.  Quite nice, odd but nice!)  Chocolate icing then covered in maltesters (milk and white choc, crunchie, minstrels and flake) forget checking DNA, he's definitely a child of mine!!!  No 1 child recovered, (just in time for cake!) back to school on Monday.

Before I forget, although some too late now!

MD, shortness of breath, I get that when starting out too fast, if I go slowly and up pace gradually, it's OK, today I didn't and it was hell!!  Re race, hope goes well, wouldn't do anything, just stretch and make sure you're warmed up on Sun, I don't bother with pre-race aerobics, just walk around as normal and stretch.  Make sure you're ready to go at your pace, ignore everyone else, it's so easy to be pushed into going off too fast.  I'm sure you'll go round like lightening!!  Have fun tho.

lxr, same to you too, hope you're blister free and have a great run.

Barry, if you're collecting bras, just make sure you don't get arrested, glad it's going well for you, let us know how you get on.

AJ,  best to get shoes checked, even if they feel OK, not worth the risk.  I think possibly  you are doing too much too soon and you should let your ankle recover, I didn't and paid the price.  If you have an injury, it won't repair unless you rest - sorry if it's not what you want to hear, but I'm speaking from experience! 

DH, agree with you for MD, I'd just rest and stretch, hope you're getting on OK and agree with you re injuries!

TTN, good progress! 

Osa, thanks for message

Sorry, have to go now, ex has arrived and we're off for birthday meal.

Post more later!

CJ

• Yes Mark the heel is feeling better, think it is plantar facilitiis & although wearing the heels offered relief don't think it will be good in the long term so have been trying to stretch it as much as possible to counteract the effect of the heels. Wore flatties out last night & am wearing trainers now & it doesn't feel noticeably sore, will go to spin tomorrow & my abs & spin on Monday & then might venture a wee run on Tuesday, am dying to try out the addidas supernovas Julie gave me, I am hoping they will help, they feel so light!

What's you 10k route like? Is it a flattish course?

Osa x