Newbies 2

Comments

• Osa, take care you don't want to agitate it again, but i think spin and ab's should be ok and if it feels ok then give it a go.

it is the Gyro10k, it's a very flat course, along the banks of the Thames from Chiswick to Hammersmith looping back on the other side of the river, it should be completely flat apart from the stairs to get up/down onto the bridges to cross the river. Hopefully it will be quite similar to my normal run as i run along the river near home, although perhaps straighter than normal. I hope that should help me settle, sort of familiar surroundings.

A little annoyed i can't go for a run, as i'm still at work which is frustrating so i have to go straight out tonight...oh well i may have time for a beer first imageand a gentle 1 or 2 mile run in the morning should be ok.

• That sounds like a lovely route, the 10k I did in Edinburgh was along the waterfront at Leith & was quite scenic but it had a nasty hill right at the end, thought my chest was going to explode!

I am currently using a rolling pin to stretch my foot, it is the most use this rolling pin has ever seen!

Are you off somewhere nice for dinner?

Osa x

• Thanks guys for your good lucks for Sunday!

TTN - It's my first ever race (since school sports day!).  One of my goals is to complete it in under 36mins - here's hoping.....

• Evenin'  everyone!

If anyone else is stuck in tonight and wants a very interesting read and a giggle think you will enjoy this link - http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=129372&URN=1&dt=4&srchdte=0&cp=1&v=1&sp=

Ooh thats exciting then lxr!  Im sure you will manage it no botherimage!  Are you planning to run the whole thing or run/walk, sorry cant keep up with what everyones mileage is at!

Feeling really guilty, ended up in the chipper and had a macaroni pie supper for tea image, already been out for a chinese this week and im heading out for another one on tuesday, get the feeling wednesdays weigh in wont be too goodimage!! Thank god im getting my arse to the park tomorrow for a run!

• Back from indian and feel absolutely stuffed.image

Osa, I find the best thing for foot is to roll it, I use a rounders ball - right size for my feet and good and hard (tried tennis ball - too soft, tinned stuff but squashed tins!)   As long as you keep stretching, it should get  better.  Might not be bad idea to do some gentle stretches before you run, after your warm up, if I feel mine is particularly tight, then I do a few - all helps!!

lxr, good luck again!!  Hope the weather is OK, you've probably said, but I can't remember, where is your race?

TTN, hey, no probs in letting your hair down now and again!  Haven't linked to thread yet, but expect it to be funny!

Had v wet and windy time out today.  Was going to go out early, but friend called round, so didn't get out till after lunch.  Hadn't had time to eat, so tired and lacking in energy.  Did usual stunt of going too fast, miles 2/3 under 9' 30/mile - dead by the time I got to end of 3rd mile!  Stuck with it, determined not to do a Paula Radcliffe (sorry!), as I wanted to keep on going.  Got around in 38 - 39mins ish, but have to work harder at being more consistent.  Got absolutely soaked by passing traffic, but did have fun running through puddles!! 

Hope everyone has good weekend and keep us posted re races.

Good luck image

• Thanks CJBA, am currently rolling it back on forth on a rolling pin, do you think that is okay to use? Have been stretching my calf & achilles a couple of times a day, my calf has felt a bit tight but I guess it is all connected! Just spin tomorrow & Monday, will see how it feels on Tuesday & maybe attempt a gentle run with the ortho-insoles in.

Can sympathise Nic, I was stinking drunk last night & have not stopped eating ALL day, am currently having my dinner made, 2 rolls & veggie fingers with brown sauce! I am going to spin tomorrow but that will probably only burn off one of my butties, thank god for stretchy jeans!!

Osa xx

• PS was going to suggest that you wash rolling pin before using it next!!

Remind me not to eat any home-made pastry round your place then!image

• I have no idea why I even have a rolling pins! The height of my culinary prowess involves adding water to my supernoodles & buttering some toast!!

Please feel free to come round for some supernoodles I promise my feet have been nowhere near them!!

Osa xx

• well i'm glad it's not just me home on a friday night...

Did manage to have dinner out (very nice italian) but just felt too tired to stay out so i now have the house to myself which is nice and very unusual. I lovel this, i'm getting to lay on the sofa with a cuppa and a biscuit. brilliant.image

Nic that other thread is hilarious, i can't believe that anyone can be that petty...although i think i could if someone started an argument with me, so you better not start, OK!

• Didn't realise it was still going, clocked that one when it started a few days ago - we're so much nicer on here!!

• Hello all!

CJBA, the cake sounds pretty tasty in a bizarre way. Did it make you all go hyperactive afterwards?

Mark, did you like the shoes?

Osa, I've very impressed by how much exercise you are doing. Do you find spinning etc is ok when you can't run or do you get the odd twinge?

Nik don't worry about the take out etc it's your first week back home and the running will have increased your metabolism.

I dragged myself to the gym last night after our safety drill and did 30min on the treadmill. I was a bit annoyed as I kept getting stitch and I deliberately ate a very small meal to try and prevent that. Then I woke up this morning feeling shattered. I think I'm going to give exercise in the evening another shot but won't eat before hand and see how I feel after. I like to leave at least 2 hours between food and exercise.

• Morning!   Just finished painting a bathroom wall, so excuse the blue blobs  image

WC, you're right, adding the Skittles did make it taste quite nice, in a very odd way.  Have done the chocolate overload before, in fact, I think that it was earlier this year for my cake,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mmmmmmm, odd that!!   No idea about the hyperactive bit though, boys went back with ex (his turn for wkend), so if they were, then he had to deal with it image.   Didn't work for me though, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Re the stitch, I guess it may have been caused by eating, I find that unless I leave a good 2 - 3 hours between food and running, it's a killer.  Maybe if you're going to the gym in the evenings, you could "stock up" food-wise at lunch time - should give you enough time.   Hope you don't feel too bad this am.

MD, hope you enjoyed your p+q last night, I've noticed when my two are away, the cats reappear.........

Planned to tackle garden today, front garden heavily weed-infested thanks to rain, but looks like it's going to start pouring again, so think I'll have to tackle boy's bedrooms instead - ho hum!

Hope you all have a good one and what's happened to all those we haven't heard from in a while, hope you're all OK.

CJ

• Hi CJBA, I'm like you prone to stitch if I eat before exercise. I ate a v small amount as I hadn't made up my mind about the gym, normally I would wait until after to eat. That's my plan tonight, finish work, gym then food. I'm feeling a bit envious about everyone off work but will be going home on Tuesday so don't mind too much. I did like your devil thoughts about sending the kids off hyper, bad CJ image

• Well, if it's any consolation, I'm spending my free time going through No 1 child's bedroom, trying to sort out the mess!!  image Think I'd rather be doing what you areimage

Re your last comment, well, that's the very least I could do for him, after all he's done for (and to) us in recent years!image

"Bad CJ"

• Oh don't worry I wasn't complaining. If he deserves it I'll happily recommend suitable sweets to feed No1 and 2 before they visit him image

• morning all,

WC they were quite nice shoes, or so i'm told (they were just shoes to me) but i did the dutiful thing and said they were nice etc...

CJ The P+Q was fantastic. I got to watch crap tv and eat biscuits on the sofa - i'm going to be very good today to make up for it. it was well worth it though.

• Hi all image

Had interesting day in work yday!  Basement of control room flooded - water was coming down walls of room with all radio systems and phone lines in also to enhance the fun plenty of live electrics in room nxt to it and all archived paperwork now soggy mess image   Had to get fire bridgade to attend to assess and help pump out water - I suggested they leave it there put in some jets and a slide and we could have our own waterpark - Bad habit of mine is to see the absurd in situations.   Also had Ambulances unable to get to addresses due to water blocked streets the other half was working yday and ended up to his knees in water when he got to one address image

Going for run in a bit - need stress relief - am nights tonight and its still raining so it should make for an interesting shift! 

I tend to eat cereal about  2hrs before run but have found that I cant eat anything much beforehand as I tend to feel like I have a lead weight in stomach so I have some juice to drink.

CJ - wicked cake image hope No2 child had good day image  - I have to confess I have sugar loaded my other halfs boys on occasion when they go home after we've had them for a weekend especially if his ex has been a cow.  I know I'll never get to heaven but I guess at least my feet will always be warm so its a consolation image

Hope everyone else ok and inj on the mend. 

• Hi all

Just back from spin, was okay, feeling a bit bleuch today but the class wasn't too hard!

Thanks Welsh Chick! I have always tried to do a couple of spin classes a week as I find it really brilliant for increasing my fitness levels that & body attack but that is so high impact it is the first class I have to drop when my injuries play up! I haven't felt any twinges doing the spin but my thighs have felt a little tight, probably just cause I amn't getting any variety in my exercise, was scooting about on my bike yesterday but was so hungover didn't exactly exert myself!

m looking forward to a nice relaxing day, watching the footie & then our friend Barry is coming over for dinner!

Hope everyone else has a good weekend!

Love Osa xx

• Hi Guys,

Well I've tried to keep my nerves calm today (ahead of tomorrows race) by putting up curtain rails.  What a mission!  Should be so straight forward...but it's taken me about 3 hours.  Now I know why I've been putting this job off for I don't know how many months.....

Hubby is at work today so at least he'll have a nice surprise when he gets home - no more nosey people looking through into the lounge when they walk pastimage.

TTN - yes I'll be running the whole race - and my aim is to complete within 36mins.

CJ - The race is in Hyde Park.

TB - I take it you live (or at least work) in one of the parts of the country getting way to much rain at the moment! Hope your shift tonight isn't too chaotic.

Osa - Good to hear you didn't get any twinges during your spin session today.

• Afternoon!

Cant believe ive missed out on so much gossip today!  was supposed to be out a run today but my tummy wasnt feeling 100% so going to hold off til tomorrow (im sure it was the greasy chipper that did it!)! Supposed to be out tonight so hope im feeling better later onimage!

Loving all the talk of sending the kids off hyper to the eximage!  If I had kids think i would do the same thing!

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow!! Hope the weather is good for you and you get the times that you wantimage!

Well done on getting to the gym for 30mins WC, I remember reading somewhere on here that if you exhale deeply when you land on the foot on the opposite side of the stitch that helps, i find that just holding onto where the stitich is helps too. I must be quite lucky then, I can go out running an hour after ive eaten, I find that if i wait much longer im just hungry again...and i wonder why i need to lose weight!!

Hope everyones having a good weekend!

• Good luck for tomorrow Lxr.

I'll try the exhaling foot thing if I get stitch later, and before anyone says anything I'm not going to try and exhale a foot

• haha that would be quite a sightimage!

• afternoon.

i've never heard that exhaling on the oposite foot thing before...does it really work? I may try it tomorrow if i get a stich. I went for a little trot this morning, I say gentle because i couldn't get any speed up. The wind along the river was feirce, it slowed me from a reasonable pace to walking speed in one blast as i came round a corner. Not nice at all. But i did get the change to take my new toy out for a play. It's BRILLIANT!!!! I think i am goin to really enjoy this. It puts my route on to a map automatically and tells me my average speed, (it has a line graph showing my speed up and down, the distance i ran, and the calories plus HR all averages, high/low and a graph showing them all. I never realised how fast i could be when i turned on the speed, for a few seconds anyway...

Good luck for tomorrow LXR, I'm sure you can meet your target timeimage

• mark, which "toy" did you get? remind me to save reading back pages

first hints dropped today that i need a Garmin!

• Hi everyone!  I'm still here and managed to get another week's running under my belt - the ankle has held up so far anyway.  Amazed myself at being able to run 10, walk 2 twice without too much bother.  Now I just have to keep at it!

Yes Mark I've heard of the exhale on the opposite foot with a stitch too.  Or, a breathing pattern that is often recommended is breath in for 3 (steps) and out for 2 (steps), and therefore you are always alternating what foot you go down on.  It seems to work for me, even without a stitch!

I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to read back over the thread.  Getting on here as much as I'd hoped is proving tricky (wee boy just turned one and into EVERYTHING!).

• Good luck lxr and MD,  image  hope you have a great time, good weather and good times - let us know tomorrow.

Just a small point, MD, don't get so absorbed in your new toy that you forget to run..........................image

Meglet, is your race tomorrow?  If so, good luck to you too - got snow/hail/wind/rain your way?

TTN, hope you're feeling better (whispers, serves you right for going down chippy!!image

Good to hear from you FG, sympathies re 1 yr old, remember when mine were that age - couldn't leave them alone for a minute!

Re breathing, luckily, don't have too much of a problem with that (apart from heavy breathing!) but find that listening to music helps- think that if you are trying to control/think about your breathing, you can't, but when you forget about it, it stabilises and you end up with some kind of regular breathing pattern.   Apologies for garbled explanation, but I know what I mean and am trying to say!!  

• yes CJ, racing tomorrow, really looking forward to it. my friend is doing full HM so rang today to wish her good luck. i am running first 2 mile leg, then will return to start at Millenium square in leeds and wait for the rest of my team to drift in. excited that i should also get to see the Elite's finish too. weather forecast is pretty horrid, but then so was today supposedly, and it was warn and a bit sunny until about 5pm and now pouring. dont mind getting wet at start but will take change of clothes as i will be hanging around after for ages.

good luck to mark and lxr for tomorrow tooimage, will these be first race-reports of newbies thread(s)?

oh yes, as just 2 miles hoping to be quite quick, good time would be 21 mins.image

• Meglet, I got a garmin 405, its great image. Hopefully the weather will be better than today, it was cold wet and windy all day...image and good luck for tomorrow.

I'll try and keep the breathing quite smooth and even (by that i mean i will keep breathing as best i can). Well i'm off to bed, an early one for me as i have to be up bright and early in the morning.

• Good idea to keep breathing Mark image

Hope it goes well tomorrow.