Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

Mat - Welcome. I started the C25K programme in April and it has done wonders for me, the weight has almost literally dropped off, although I did combine it with a general change in attitude with regards to eating and other exercise like walking and cycling. Like everyone says, all you really need (apart from motivation!) are a good pair of shoes so head to a running shop and get kitted out.

Claire - Good for you on keeping active, as for big balls, should you really be telling us that?! image No bug so far...

NV - Well done on a PB, 70 seconds is brilliant!

Hi to everyone else. Nice(ish) day here so moved morning run to tomorrow and got out for a 6 mile whizz on my bike after the dentist instead. Along the beach and up along a small stream near where I live - great fun!

• Options
    image tee hee sounds like good training there.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Welcome mat (?? image), what the others said is good advice. Do a walk run programme to start with. Lots of people have used the Couch to 5k on here successfully.

Claire, elliptical, ski machine, cross trainer. Could be called any of those.

Cycling Grant? How's the swimming? image

Get on the turbo and do the sufferfest session Andy. You know you want to image

Not sure if I'll get anything done tonight. Mrs NV is working so unless I get home from work very early it's going to be a rest day.
  • Options
    Just back from a lunch break swim session.

Warm up:- 100m easy, 100m alternative, 50m pull

Main Set:- 7x100m @ 2m40secs
    1x50m Pull
    10x50m @ 1min40secs (2x easy, 4x threshold, 4x hard)
    6x25m @ 50secs

Cool Down:- 100m easy

That will be me for today I think, Mrs C is going out a wee run tonight

NV - You are right I do want to try it but need a day that the house is less busy! I like your thinking re:- Grant

Grant:- I think you need to get into the pool image

Em - I have been told it is torture but fun.......not sure how the 2 go but there you go image and also let me know how I can sponsor you.

Claire - It was good to get the bike out, You played with the big balls last night hmmmmmm. Actually there is no pilates class near me image

Everyone else happy running/cycling/swimming/resting image
  • Options

afternoon all, not been by in a while had a bad month as the GAT and i split up after 5 and a half years...so the wedding is off which will be the reason you haven't all recieved the invites you were no doubt expecting. I also failed one of my exams and have now got to resit it... so running hasn't been on my mind really, more drinking and sulking at the lack of fairness in life. Hover I have decided to pull my finger out and have been smashing myself silly on the turbo recently (1hour in z3 with 7x 90s sprint intervals (80 cadence min on the big gears) with 60s recovery (cadence 90+). the intervals don't start until 40 minutes, incase you're interested) and have just reintroduced some running - commute home on Tuesday in 43'20 which is not a bad pace for the 5.5 miles and only 80 seconds off my fastest for that route, given i was taking it easy because of a slight ankle strain i am very pleased with that. My marathon training start on Monday for Dublin, and given the situation I have decided to try and follow the 3 hour plan, which is heavy but will hopefully keep me busy and stop me having much time after studying work and training to moap about feeling sad. I doubt I can run 3hours, however i do think that 3:15 or 20 is achievable if i apply myself to the plan and avoid injury...I'm tweaking the plan to include bike and swim as i don't think i can run the 6days a week required by the plan. and figure that actually doing 5miles easy can be replaced with a turbo session of an hour or 90 mins with more cardio benefit and less injury risk (I hope!)

Sorry very much a me me me post but I will try and read back and catch up tonight after i have run home again

• Options
    No need to be sorry MD, it is good to get things off the chest so to speak. As previously said I am sorry to hear that you have split up and of course the resit. I am sure everything happens for a reason.
  • Options
    MD - Sorry to hear the news. Sounds like a good plan with the training! Hope you have a good run home.
  • Options

thanks I appreciate it. I'm slowly starting to feel a bit better, my friends have all been quite good and looking out for me.

Well I wasn't looking forward to the run home it was cold, wet and my quads were a little sore from Tuesday, but i decided that I would JFDI and see what happened and it was AWESOME! 5.5 miles in 40'07 new fastest time on that route by just under 2 minutes (1'53 to be precice). As i felt terrible before i left work. SO having pushed through the run with a heavy backpack in the rain and still managed to average 7:06 pace. I am very happyimageimage. It started to get hard at about 4.5 miles, but i knew I only had 1 mile left and decided to hurt for that last mile as i knew i could make it in 40 mins.so mile splits were: 7'32, 6'39, 712, 7'41, 7'20 then the last half mile was 3'41 (which is 7'01 pace) HR was a touch hugh ave 167 but I will definitely take that. Looks like the turbo session have started to do the job. I think the 2nd and 3rd miles were quick because for a large part I had a guy trying to race me and I couldn't have that! He was eyeing up the M. when i was stopped at some traffic lights, then after the traffic lights he tried to up the pace (i saw him approach and it definately wasn't sub 7 pace!) so i thought I would play, and out paced him the whole way...image he wasn't wearing a pack either so i feel that I should be credited about 4seconds per mile for the weight of my bag...he he.

Andrwe that's a great lunch session there! I hope to get myself in gear and join a gyn near my work so i can use it at lunchtime, before/after work and run in then shower there as we don't have showers in my building yet - should have them by October I think, which is a bit late for me but at last it will be there eventually! RIght I am going to shower then catch up...promise

• Options
    Sorry to hear all that MD. Crap few weeks.

Nice run mate. The old magic's still there! Gaffa tape over the tat should prevent any further painful outbreaks of racing.
  • Options

I hope so, although it has given me a lot of hope for the club relays at the end of Aug, I made the mistake of suggesting i would run sub 20 for the 5k without really thinking about it...but based on that i think i can manage that - particularly with some (don't tell anyone or they'll throw me out of the club) training! I may have also suggested that i could probably hold about 23/25mph for the bike leg tooimage shouldn't be too hard, i mean, that's not that fast is it!?!?!?

Right I tried to catch up but really there is way too much, so the best i can do it try and keep up to date - so Hi to new newbies, and hello to old newbies!

• Options
    grant mgrant m ✭✭✭
    MD - Sorry to hear your news. Getting stuck into some training seems like a good plan!
  • Options
    Morning all,

Lol MD. Nah, Sub 20 run and a 31 minute bike split should be a walk in the park. Should have said you were going to do a 6 minute swim as well image

Bike intervals tonight for me. Hope the weather holds. It's lovely here today.
  • Options

Hi all

MD - That really sucks, glad to hear that you are starting to feel a bit better.  Very good running, sounds like you are on good form.

NV - Its good weather here today too.

I am sitting in my kit waiting for my youngest to wake up, it is ironic after years of getting up at the crack of dawn now I am having trouble getting them out of bed.  He is going through a funny stage and although my parents are here so I could go out he will be upset if I go running without waiting for him to wake up. Children are funny creatures.

• Options

8m done, legs felt ok no tiredness but I was going pretty slowly and it felt like I couldn't go any faster, did a hilly route but that didn't seem to affect my pace at all ie no slower uphill than on the flat.  It didn't feel like a bad run but I have had better.  I will probably do another 8 tomorrow then on Sunday I am doing a race for life - only 5k, with my family and some friends but we are all walking as my mum isn't well enough to manage any more and nobody else except me runs. I was tempted to run to the end then run back to my family but that is a bit anti-social and against the spirit of the day so I won't.

Happy running all

Em

• Options
    Good run Em. All valuable mileage. Enjoy the RFL on Sunday.

Interval run tonight, kind of structured fartlek thing. 15 minutes warm up, 10 minute mid Z4 (7:57/mile) straight into 5x1 minutes hard (6:20/mile) with 2 minute recoveries, 5 minute jog, 10 minutes high Z4 (7:34/mile) then 15 minute cool down. 8.1 miles total.

Bike or brick tomorrow. Decisions decisions image
  • Options
    So, we're all still punishing our bodies, are we...?! imageimageimage
  • Options

Good to see you back Blimpy, as for the punishing our bodies, me obviously a lot less than others.

How are you?

• Options

I'm not bad thanks, S&O!  Still running, still being injured, still over-racing lol! 

How are you?

• Options
    Much the same too, living in northern scotland now and training for the Loch Ness marathon in Oct, still running slowly, still enjoying it.
  • Options
    Well if you're enjoying it, that's half the battle!  I'm still not training for a mara, want to work on getting my shorter race times down.  The usual suspects on here?
  • Options
    Blimp! Where have you been hiding? There's a few of us still around.

How's the assorted injuries?
  • Options
    90 minute brick done. 18 miles bike, 3.5 run
  • Options

Hey NV.  The assorted injuries are still rearing their ugly heads lol.  I have a new one since yesterday and it's a balls because I have a really important race next Thursday so I'm hoping I can shake it.  if not, I'll just have to run through the pain - grrrrrrr lol!

So you're still doingthe old tri training, NV - nice one.  Still racing?

• Options
    Did you get your 65 minute 10 mile in the end?

Yep, still racing. Done half a dozen sprints now, and a half iron back in May. Outlaw next year I think.
  • Options

Oh wow NV, get you with your Tri achievements! 

I didn't do my 65 minute 10 miler yet, the last 10 miler I raced in, my Plantar Fascitis popped and I was out for about 2 months - nightmare!  That was in January, I haven't done one since.  I have, however, been racing the shorter distances, 4 mile PB is now down to 25:37, 5 mile 32:02, so I'm going in the right direction.  I'm racing the National 1/2 Mara in September for my club - I'm looking to go 1:29 or faster.  We'll see.

Do you just do tri's now, NV, or other races?

• Options
    Still road racing up to half mara, but not quite as much, Doing some bike time trialling as well.

Some nice PBs there Blimps. National half mara huh? Nice!
  • Options

Wow, bike time-trialing - awesome!  Do you wear a Woody Woodpecker helmet?!!! image

Thanks, I'm proud of my PB's - they're not the best PB's in the world, but they're mine and I love 'em!  Yeah, running for my club in the National Half - looking forward to it!

• Options
    No, no pointy hat image ......yet!

• Options

Hi

Didn't do race for life thing today because another friend of my mums really wanted to do it with her instead so I gave her my number and spectated. Did 8m run when I got home. Off to Legoland tomorrow until Wed afternoon, not sure how running is going to fit into that?? Also slight rant, cyclists...grr, on a canal tow path why is it that the runner always has to give way, leap into shrubbery!..rant over.

• Options

Morning all, couldn't get on over the weekend, there was a bit of a power cut on my road so not t'internet at all and most of the food in my freezer went - thankfully it was the end of the month so not much in there! Did manage to get out for arun on sunday aimed for 10 mile neg split, first half aimed for 9min pace and HR below 155, 2nd hald aimed for increasing pace by 10s/mile and letting the HR drift up to match - but not above 175. Mile splits and av HR's were: 8'54 - 134, 9'06 - 144, 9'04 -147, 9'06 -148, 8'47 - 152, 8'49 -157, 8'48 -159, 8'37 - 161, last 0.64 miles 4'42 - 175 (which is 7'22 pace). I started to pick up the pace a little early as i felt good, but then decided that I would hold that pace for a few miles (do 4, 5, 6 being similar) then carry on. I started to feel the heat a bit and was starting to dehydrate (the beer and pizza at a mates house on saturday to avoid the power cut wasn't helping at this point!) so decided i would take a shorter route home and try to lap the block until i reached the distance. At about 9.5 i knew i wasn't going to make it the full 10, i'd overcooked the pace and the weather was getting me. So i headed home early. all in all not too bad 1'24 and HR was under control the whole way.

Blimpy! hello mate, you back or just passing through? not training for a marathon - any chance you might want to do Dublin - I'm back this year and intend to have done some training for it this year. Aiming for between 3'15 and 3'30 (depending on staying fit and sane!)

Em, some people are just so bloody inconsiderate - i had a fat woman barge into me at the train station today, obviously she thinks he is the same size and the size 0 woman who had just passed theough the gap she tried to bulldoze her way through! Cyclists on shared paths should IMO always give way to pedestrians.