Newbies 2

Comments

• Hi all, Welcome RHR, those are good goals and sounds like you're making good progress.

Well i finally managed to get myself out the door for a run yesterday, 7 miles in 54mins odd. Splits were pretty consistent with each faser than the one before , Hr was controlled and comfy. Despite the heat and being overdressed (why i thought a long sleeve top was a good idea I don't know!) started at about 8'30 pace, then 8'20, 8'15, 8'05, 7'55 7'35 then about 6min pace for the last mile...nice and solid tough but worth it!

NV, a whole week to yourself??? Awesome! So that's curry and beer for tea, beer and pizza for lunch (on the weekend of course) and toast for brekkie???? Plus lots of training to balance it out!

• Have you been looking in my fridge MD image

Nice progression run there.
  • metaphorically speaking, yes. well that's whats in my fridge anyway...

You're looking very un-ironed MD? Pull yourself together man!
  • Afternoon All

Off to Oz on Thursday imageimageimage Cant Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Em - NV is right 5fast miles is good

Holly - Hi and welcome, good goals there. Any questions just ask away

NV - Hope you have a good weeks training.

MD - Long sleeved top!?!?? Still great run there.

• Hiya, I'm very new and very scared... please be nice image

I've always been terrified of exercise and very unfit for a 20-something. I'm approaching 30 (April) and am currently the fittest i've ever been, but my BMI is still far too high and i'm still 'unfit' (just less so than before).

My main reason for wanting to run is... it looks fun...! When I see other people running I want to do it myself so given that I'm trying to improve my fitness and physique, I thought i'd give it a serious go. I do other activities at home (too scared for proper classes) like zumba, cardio boxing and pilates but go to the gym for treadmill and bikes and resistance sometimes. Cannot get my weight lower than present, whatever I do, I dont seem to budge. Granted teh curries don't help but tbh, if i can just tone up and turn fat to muscle i dont really mind too much.

So... there I am. I'd love to run the streets but i'm too scared! And it's so much harder on the pavements, I get tired too quickly image

• Welcome Sarah, its a good step to get running, i certainly found that it helped me drop quite a bit of weight, so I'm sure that it will do for you too, and certianly helps tone up. I can't run on the treadmill, but i can see why you would particularly when starting out. i'm sure in a little while you're confidence and everything will improve and you'll get outside and never look back!  

NV -I don't feel anywhere near fit enough and not having done a single tri of any distance this year, felt it time to drop that until i get back into the swing of it... I might change it back at the end of August after i do the one tri i have entered for the year (and i might make a late entry to the windfarmer if it works out on the timing.

yep, long sleeves and it was about 25 degrees...moron award of the day goes to md6!

• Thank you!

I've been following some of the training plans I've found on here loosely, it's mainly hills I struggle with but I suppose tackling them comes with time. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve hill running? I seem to just burn out when doing it!

• RunHollyRun wrote (see)

Thank you!

I've been following some of the training plans I've found on here loosely, it's mainly hills I struggle with but I suppose tackling them comes with time. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve hill running? I seem to just burn out when doing it!

Slow and steady - when you reach a hill ease off to keep your breathing under control, take smaller steps and try to get onto your toes a bit more (i.e. not landing heel first). If it is a steep or long hill, find a point on the ground a bit in front of you (like a crack or something) 20meters or so ahead, and focus on that until you are nearly there then switch your head up and find another...keep doing that until you reach the top. The best way to impove is to do hill reps, but wait until you ahve more endurance first - also make sure you stretch your calves properly afterwards to protect them and your achillies from the extra strain caused by the hills. Also, don't be afriad to walk up the hill if you find it is too hard /breathing is out of controlimage
  • Hi Sarah you'll love running, its great fun outside even in the rain. image I used to do alot of running on the treadmill but honestly its much better outside. I now cant run on a treddie get bored very easily.  I actually found it easier on the pavements as you set your own pace. Have you got anyone you could go out with? May give you some confidence with someone else there. MD is spot on when you get out you wont look back.

MD its usually me with the moron award image (tripping up over nothing when running, falling out of cars just before going for a run etc etc etc) so its nice its going to someone else for a change.

Holly - I struggle with hills too, mainly as its soo flat round here. im such the others will have some good advice for you on how to tackle them, but I would say the more you attempt them the easier it will become.

Well its a night resting for me, my ankle is starting to hurt..... I can tell I've done quite a bit of walking about today. I'lll get the frozen sweetcorn out when I get home.

• Thank you MD, I'll give that a go!

It's the opposite for me Claire, hills everywhere! Need the confidence boost to keep at it I think!

Hope your ankle feels better soon!

• Hiya, thanks for the welcomes; I would love to run on the roads as it's probably so much more 'interesting' than on the treadmill. As I'm only on week 1: run 1min, walk 1min though i've probably got a while to go!!

Think i might have to get some running shoes though 'cos my inner ankle and shins hurt a bit when i run. I have a problem with my sacro-iliac joint but running makes it much better - strengthens teh muscles i think.

Unfort. no, no-one to run with. I prefer to work out alone as I dont feel like i'm trying to keep up with anyone - i'm not competetive but I am ambitious - Idont care how anyone else is doing so long as I'm breaking my own records!!

Did 10x 1min walk / 1min walk again today and managed to sing along to all my songs (intentionally) so I know my breathing's ok.

Slowly, but surely??

• Morning all,

Well done Sarah. You'll be running for 30 minutes non stop in a few weeks.

Holly, MD is spot on with the hills, and the more you do them, the better you get at them.

MD, I'm thinking about the Windfarmer as well. I've not done an oly distance yet.

30 minute turbo into 5.6 mile run this morning with the first 30 at half marathon pace (7:50/mile). Lovely cool morning for training until I started, then the sun came out and melted me image
  • Holy crap, you lot talk a lot!

You're having as much bad luck as me with injury i think, Claire.  There's only one thing you can do and that's rest, as difficult as that is.

I think the moron award suits you down to the ground, MD... image  I'm loving your 7 mile splits, although I'd prefer to keep them almost consistent at 7:30 pace for a 52:30 finish, but still, it's a great run, especially as you finished so strongly.

Whereabouts in Ireland are the family going, NV?  If they're anywhere near Cork and they want a guide...  So, party at yours while they're away, is it?!!

My race went terribly bad, I was distraught afterwards.  Arrived only 40 minutes before the gun time so the prep was bad - only managed a mile warm-up when it's usually 2 miles with some strides, so that was some kind of omen. 

Started off nice and comfortable going through the first mile in 6:16 and the second in 6:20 - on target for a 31:45 and it's really comfortable.  But then the hill came and I obviously slowed, but I slowed too much, going through the third mile in 6:36.  That race is a double loop so having to run past the finish line was a real head wrecker, but never mind, it's good for the soul lol!

Going round again and hit the hill for the second time and the fourth mile was even slower at 6:37 - how embarrassing, there's no way I'm gonna move up the pecking order at this rate.  Just past the fourth mile marker and a runner that's 11 places above me goes steaming past, so I went with him and just sat on his shoulder.  Alas, he had real strength and I couldn't stay with the 5:50 pace so I started to fall behind.  

With half a mile to go I started to wind it up - there was a short, sharp drag so I powered up that and made up 3 places, which felt fecking good.  With 400 metres to go I just gunned it and put the hammer down, passed another 2 runners to finish in 32:35, with the last mile in 6:33 and the .04 that my Garmin measured in 13 seconds, which was 5:19 pace...

Overall I'm lying in 53rd place, with just 3 seconds between myself and the runner in 50th place.  However, the guy behind is only 2 seconds away and the next runner is 12 seconds behind me, so I've a lot of work to do to get into the top 50.  Hopefully...

• morning all, well a nice 3 mile TT run today, tried to get out before it got warm and failed. but the splits were 6'21, 6'13 and 6'35 - legs and lungs gave up in the last 0.75 miles but i managed to hold a reasonable pace anyway. Lack of speed work over the last 2 years is showing there as the lung were objecting more than the legs. Also managed a 1k swim, set of 500m, 200m, 100, 100, 50, 50. Can't lift my arms over my head at the moment but then I have only been in the pool 7 times in the last 10 months, so that's to be expected. I'll pick it up quickly.

Blimps, I think that you're times are amazing, I can't imagine being that quick. Well maybe if i get out and hurt myself a lot regularly...maybe.  A few seconds you can make that up, you had a bad race it happenes every now and then, and weren't you nursing a strain? For the 7the plan was to try and ave 8min pace on the progression - which would be roughly 56mins. Next time I will aim for a 7:45 ave, then start to wind up the pace till i can get it down to 7 pace for the 7 or 8 mile routes. I averaged a pretty good pace of 7'15 with a 3 or 4kg backpack on my last run home the other week so I know i can hold that sort of pace for a reasonable (5.5miles) distance.  My aim for Dublin is 3'15 which is abobut 7'30 pace - so i iwll have to get to that pace sooner rather than later. Only 13 weeks to go!

• grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

First race today, 5K parkrun in Edinburgh and it went brilliantly, went round in 29 mins 37 secs, 4 mins inside my training best and 7 mins inside my usual time. I think I must be lazy in training lol. Can't stay and chat, having beer and curry to celebrate! image Wouldn't have done it without all your help and support, thanks everyone!

Happy running all and catch up tomorrow!

• Well done, Grant.  Now the first race is out of the way, you can look forward to racing lots more, with lots of new PB's!

MD, those are fab splits - well done!  As for not being as fast as me, bollox!  You're tapping on the soles of my feet and soon you'll be passing with ease!  Nice swimming, too - if only I could swim like that image

Yeah, I ran with a thigh strain on Thursday, although I'm not using that as an excuse for my crap run, I was just under-trained.  However, I'm gonna put that right for the last race in the series.  Here's the standings - I'm 53rd...  Look how close it is!

Clicky thing

I can't believe you ran with a sack on your back lol, that's insane!  Don't make the mistake of doing your long runs at mara pace, rather, incorporate a few miles at mara pace into an LSR.  So if you're doing an 18 miler, do 6 miles slow, 9 at mara pace and then 3 at slow pace again.  You'll do 3:15, no problem!

• Bloody hell that is close Blimps. Good job making up 8 places though, injury or not. The family will be at the in-laws in Sligo.

Grant, well done. Inside 30 minutes for a first go is good. It's amazing what a bit of race adrenaline will do.

Another good run from you too MD. Starting to get back into it!
  • Ah, Sligo is a long way from me...  It's not a bad place, though.

• Hi guys and gals
    Ok so I've been running just over 3 months now! Running 3 times a week doing 2steady runs in the week and a long run on a Sunday (managed 8 miles today wohoo),and I've got a 10k race and a half marathon booked for October also doing the Brighton marathon,so although I don't post very often on here I always look in for hints and tips and find it very helpful!
    I think I may just have the running bug lol!!!

Pb 5k 26.24
    Pb 10k 56.56
  • Hi Nick! not bad pb's there for only having been running for 3 months. you'll be flying soon enough i bet.

Ah blimps the difference with my splits is that after 3 miles at that pace i was all shaky and felt very sick...not the best way to end a training run i don't think. Cheers for the tip, I'm sort of following a plan which i put together from a RW and Hal Higdon ones...target time for the plans if 3hours, but i figure if i can follow that then i should be able to get to 3'15. The bag is because i was running home from work, and needed to bring some bits home. Those standings are close!

Meant to be running 13 miles today but i'm not feeling it, it is also very hot. I will have to wait until tonight to get to it, andtomorrow  should turbo early morning or go for a late evening run

• Hi Nick, looks like you're well under way. Plenty of time to get the distance built up for the half.

Well, that hurt. Something wasn't quite right today. 18.4 miles bike at mid Z4 HR in an hour into what was supposed to be an hour's run with the first 20 minutes at race pace. Bike was OK, but was really suffering in the heat (must be about 27 degrees today) and couldn't get into a decent rhythm on the run so bailed out at 3.5 miles. Quite dehydrated now so probably hadn't had enough to drink before hand. I think with a bit of a breeze on the bike keeping me cool I didn't drink enough from the bike bottle either.
  • Ouch... my 13 miles turned in to 10.35 as the heat hills and lack of nutrition caused me to start getting light headed and a bit confused...so thought it best to get home before i collapsed image. I think i may have a touch of heatstroke which is my own fault for running at 3pm in the sun, without having eaten enough during the day (1 bowl of cereal) and having had a few beers last night. So i started in the park with some hills, did 3 laps of that with a hill which is about 35m with a few undulating bits in between. total climb 118m. Mile splits were:
    9'19 - 142 (had to wait for the traffic to clear to get across the road to the park, but intentionally started slowly too), 8'47 -140, 8'40 - 156, 8'31 - 157, 8'31 - 164, 8'38 - 161, 8'28 - 156, 8'18 - 162, 8'39 - 164, 8'29 - 164, and the last 0.36 miles 2'59 (8'25 pace) - 168.
    I really felt that my legs were going to give out at about 8 miles, then got dizzy and lightheaded and felt a bit dodgy to say the least. got home, have had 5 pints of water, an ice bath, a pint of milk, dinner and still feel a bit rough. But much better, I think i have a touch of sun stroke, and a bit of sun burn - i sweated off my sunscreen and my neck is sore.image I should have waited until about now, its much cooler, but i was meant to be meeting a friend of mine for a bite to eat but have cancelled that...

on the plus side, i might have found my new housemate. They said they really like the place, sounded very interested and i think we got on quite well. Should find out if she would like it tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

NV, bailing in the heat it sensible...if only i was that sensible!

• Morning All

Puzzled I haven't been getting emails to say people have posted on here image Ahwell will have to just try keep up with it.

Hope everyone has been out running, I have been good and ankle is feeling tons better. I did go to the gym both Saturday and Sunday, mainly did weights was alright just not as good as a run.

Blimpy - Your super fast runner!! Im sure you can get those 3 seconds to get in top 50.

Grant - Awesome work! Well Done!! Bet your really pleased. Hope you enjoyed the beer and curry

Hi Nick some great times there.

MD - Great news on the housemate, keeping fingers crossed.

• I HAVE A HOUSEMATE AGAIN!!!! thank the bloke on a bike for that!

Claire, glad your ankle's coming along. Gym is good - will be better than nothing that's for sure. Maybe when you're there do the bike or x-trainer, that should help with the leg strength and cardio fitness too!

well I should do some work, give all I have done so far is sort the house stuff...image

• Morning all.

Glad you're finally sorted with an housemate again, MD, it's great to get that stuff sorted.  Well done on your 10 miler, they're a lovely set of splits you've got.  However, the fact you had to drink 5 pints of water afterwards isn't good, you must have been really dehydrated going into it.  Tsk, tsk lol.

I get that sometimes, Claire, no emails about posts - it's fecking annoying!  Now that your ankle feels better, don't go and do a 12 miler or anything like that!  I'd still stay off it for a few days, don't risk going back to square one by doing a 'me' lol!

Wow, two Newbies dehydrated in the space of two posts lol!  NV, sort it out!!!

So I did a 10 mile race yesterday, and what a nightmare!  Started off on target for sub 68 minutes but my mile splits just got slower and slower, culminating in an embarrassing 7:27 for mile 10. image  My finish time was 70:23 - a run to forget.  For those on Facebook, I've posted my list of excuses and, in fairness, they're pretty good excuses.  So there! image

Hi to everyone I didn't mention.

• Morning all,

LOL Blimps, I know, schoolboy error image I'd happily take a 70 minute 10 miler!

Pleased to hear it MD. Pretty consistent splits considering you made the schollboy error too image

Claire , what MD and Blimps have said. Xtrainer is good for a bit of low impact cardio.

Heavy week's training for me this week, starting with a 75 minute run tonight with the middle 45 at threshold. Hope it cools down a bit.
  • Blimpy wrote (see)

Morning all.

Glad you're finally sorted with an housemate again, MD, it's great to get that stuff sorted.  Well done on your 10 miler, they're a lovely set of splits you've got.  However, the fact you had to drink 5 pints of water afterwards isn't good, you must have been really dehydrated going into it.  Tsk, tsk lol.

Not really, which is the weird thing, I'd had about 3 or 4 pints of water that morning, although it was warm i hadn't done anything that would have dehydrated me (although I am thinking that the day before may have caused some dehydration (beer didn't help) I ended up having abobut 8 pints of water before sleeping and still felt a bit bad, I also weighed myself and had dropped 3kgs on the run, which tells you a lot about the effort and the heat...its almost all gone back on since the water dinner and lunch today (missed brekkie which is terrible but i woke late). I'd be happy with your 10mile pace mate, ending with an embarrasing 1min/mile faster than my average yesterday...yeah terrible! Although you are a speed demon, so i guess for you its not the best.

• Went for my run on Thursday and well err yes. Managed to do 5K in 34mins which is rubbish used to do them in 24-26mins. Lost so much speed as I have not been doing a lot of running. Saturday did a time trial swim did 750m in 18min 36secs. Then on the Sunday it was 5hrs of running about trying to get into the national Flag Football team. So today will be a rest. Back tomorrow cycling and perhaps a wee run aswell image.

I notice I have missed a lot just over the course of 3 days. It is hard to keep up with you all lol. I mean that in a good way as you all have been posting good running times etc. Hello to the newbies, you have been and will get a lot of useful information.

Claire - Thursday till you go, not long then.............rememeber to send me a postcard image. Rest up good and enjoy yourself.

NV - Hope it does cool down, it is raining here but still warm. 45min threshold....ouch

MD - Good work on the housemate, bet you are glad of that

• MD - Great news about the housemate

Blimpy - Wish I could do an embarrassing 10th mile of 7.27 image 

NV - Hope you have a good run later

Andrew - get out for a run tomorrow..... you know you want too image

Thanks for the advice everyone,  I went on the bike and cross trainer at the gym for cardio stuff. I found I couldn't have as high a level as I usually do as it is the pushing off motion that hurts. However I still had a good workout and I am planning on going first thing tomorrow.