Newbies 2

Comments

• Hey everyone- loving this rain!!!

Freckles- great to see you - I've never been a runner but got into it via Race for Life as a goal. Some guys on here also do parkruns- check them out they are supposed to be great fun- aim to do one soon myself.

Holly- jealous of your impending Garmin- I got a cheapo watch last week and found it really useful...will reward myself with something better when I've earned it- might have to wait a while though!

I did an easy-ish 5K in 26mins - didn't feel like a push, so I can defo say I am fitter than I was four weeks ago. We've all got our different goals but tonight, as I was running along in the near-dark and the rain, with sensible types whizzing past in their nice warm cars, I just knew that I wasn't alone, and that somewhere not very far away, someone like me was running, wondering what their time would be like, and probably looking forward to having a nice cup of tea! Funny what goes through your head...!

• Morning!

I will have to look for a parkrun nearby! But I definitely need more training first. Im very jealous of you lucky lady Holly getting a Garmin... Ive decided if i can beat my goal time for a 5k next year I will treat myself! 

Can anyone advise me on a good training watch? I really only need one that tracks speed and interval timer?

• Missdianelouise - i'm tres jealous of your 26 min 5k... i'm struggling to break sub 30 mins at the moment!

Freckles- My Aunt attends our local parkrun and is always singing it's praises, i hope to get along to one soon. I think it'll be a good training exercise.

Well the Garmin is amazing, i love it! I've just been out for an easy 5 mile run and it was great to be able to keep an eye on my time without having to listen to the robotic woman from the Nike+ app in my ear! It's also great to see my splits etc.

Have a great Saturday folks! x

• Since my 10 mile run last Sunday I've only had one 2 mile run midweek so I'm feeling quite well rested and I've treated this as my first rest week. So, hopefully I'll do another 10 mile run tomorrow. I'll feel extra inspired after watching the Olympic torch pass by in the morning.

Nice to see some new faces and also some good times for their 5k's.
  • Welcome to all new Newbies 2 image

Holly, which Garmin did you get in the end? I still love my Runmeter app on my iPhone, but I think a Garmin watch is my ultimate "kit goal" if I can get enough recommendations for a particular model.

Not done anything since last report, but managed to squeeze one in this morning:-

Run Time: 35:35
    Stopped Time: 0:00
    Distance: 3.11 miles
    Average: 11:26 /mile
    Fastest Pace: 7:06 /mile
    Ahead of Best Run: 0:26

Same route as the last couple of runs, so the increase in pace is a genuine improvement.

Still, I would like to see what I could do a 5K in on a proper track or other flat surface. Reckon these little hills are doing me some good though!

What I really need to do is get back to 3 runs per week. I've slipped a bit over the last three weeks due to being horrendously busy, but I just know that my pace will improve if I can get out more regularly.

Enjoy the weather everyone! ::ahem:: 

• Hi again everyone.

Anyone any idea how long I should rest a calf strain before venturing out again? I'm only on Week 3 of the Couch to 10K iPhone app and pulled my left calf last Sunday. I rested it through the week and went out again yesterday. Was fine for the first ten minutes but just after starting my second run stage my calf went again. Was VERY painful walking home! image

I'm really gutted as I felt I had developed a nice comfortable running style and I've a 10K to work towards in early October.

Maybe I'm just asking too much of my 45 year old legs. image
  • Hi all. I have just started running, walk/jog really! I used to do a lot of cross country when I was at school and I would run with my mum in lots of 5/10km fun runs whilst my step dad did marathons so I have a fair bit of background albeit about 20 years ago!

I have returned to running as means of fitness and stress busting. I run in the evenings after my 5yr old son is hooked up to his dialysis machine for the night. There is a lot of stress to get rid of. I also need to get fit as it looks like I will be donating one of my kidneys to him next year.

I aim to do some races, probably raising money for kidney research uk at the same time. My big goal is to do the Swindon half marathon in 2014.

I don't have the spare cash to be buying gadgets like fancy watches or heart monitors and have found going out for just half an hour as part of the c25k training annoyingly short so I am walk/jogging for an hour an half at a time, about five miles each outing. So far so good.
  • Hi Bungle Bee...

What an inspiration you are. Im sorry to hear about your son and well done to you for being so brave for donating your kidney.

Racing for charities that mean something to you is a brilliant idea, its something I also aim to do.

It sounds like youve made a great start and running is definitely in your blood from the sounds of your family. Keep up the good work

Ive not been out for 3 days... I have hurt my knee, thought it was a muscle but after 3 days its still hurting whenever i do anything, even aches when im laid down... bit gutted...considering going out later just to walk and see how it goes, worried i'll lose my motivation soon if I stop going out...

• Good Morning everyone! Happy Monday image (Monday AGAIN, how did that happen?!)

The sun's peeking out from behind a cloud in Edinburgh this morning, A welcome sight after the monsoon i've been greeted with most mornings lately!

Bungle Bee, First off what a fantastic thing you're doing for your son and for other people in his situation. The strength of character and motivation of parents and children faced with such adversity never fails to amaze me. Well done. I know that c25k can be quite boring to start off with, some people will tell you to stick to it rigorously. I found after a couple of weeks i was bored and didn't feel like i was pushing myself so i half abandoned the plan and did what i could. That worked well for for me. That said it's really important to listen to your body carefully if you are going it alone.You don't want to cause injury and set yourself back. Good luck and keep us up to date with your training and ongoings!

Delb- Take it easy! As frustrating as it is to not be able to train when you want to, you don't want to compound the problem and then set your training even further back. A good wee while until your 10k so don't do too much too soon so you can get back on it as soon as possible. Hope you feel better soon image

EMarkM- I went for the 410 in the end, it's really easy to set up and you pretty much charge it up and off you go! The software is very user friendly with the options to show off every wee run to the world of fartbook/twitter if you so wish! 

Freckles- that's totally rubbish image Hopefully a wee walk will stretch it out a bit.. We won't let you lose motivation image 

I've got a speedwork session scheduled in for today. I've had blocked sinuses for about 4 weeks on and off now so am temporarily partially deaf which makes for some erm interesting running as i'm constantly paranoid i can't hear people running behind me! Still, it keeps me on my toes at least haha 

• I also only stuck loosely to the c25k plan, they are guidelines more than anything because everyone if different. I am now loosely doing a half marathon plan.

Yesterday afternoon I did an 11 mile run in 1:42:42. After my stretching I finally plucked up the guts to take an ice bath. It was only bad for the first minute but then I got used to it and managed to sit there shivering for about 15-20 mins. My legs are still quite stiff and achey this morning but not quite as bad as after last weeks 10 miler. It's true what they say about your heart and lungs getting fitter quicker than your muscles and tendons. I didn't feel tired or particularly out of breath at all during the run but my legs were getting heavier and heavier. It was a good run though averaging 9:20 per mile, a little slower than last weeks pace of 9:02.

I hope those of you injured are feeling better soon.
  • Holly, thanks for letting me know; the 410 is now on the list for consideration image

Hope to get out and do my 5K this evening. Will report back if I conquer my time from yesterday.
  • Afternoon all... the 410 is the one my cousin got for his girlfriend (who then continued to up and leave him... but she did take her watch and leave all the rest of her belongings so it must be worth keeping)! Its the one i want to get but currently my knee aches so much I dont think I can go out tonight image really depressed

• Well, I got out for my little 5K. Weather was slightly on the warm side for me, and I forgot to have a drink before I went, let alone fill my water bottle for the run, so I only hit 37:28.

But, as m.d6 advised on the previous page, it's not really about improving pace EVERY time at this stage; it's more about getting time out there on the road.

If I can make the full three 5K runs this week it will be more running than I have done in a very long time.

Enjoy the sun, those of you who can tolerate it! 

• Did 4.2 mile, walk/jog tonight, new route.  Forgot that the local University has just started it's annual 'dig' at the Roman site we have near the village so I rather gingerly ran past their camp 3 miles in positively beetroot coloured.  Ah well. 

Running for longer periods now.  But still took 1:11.  Slow and steady.  I'm glad I miss the heat of the day, I'm not a sun seeker.

• HI all,

Taper madness setting in, along with minor panic. 30 week training programme seems to have gone by in about 6 weeks image

Travelling to Nottingham on Friday, camping over the weekend and racing on Sunday. Then I'm going to take 2 weeks off training to eat chips, drink 30 weeks worth of beer and vegetate image

Took a brand new Garmin 910XT swimming on Saturday and it filled up with water. I'm not impressed with Garmin's quality control.

• Hi all

Bungle Bee- brilliant thing you're doing, and I agree with running in coolerl conditions- I decided when I started running (a whole 8 weeks ago!) that I wouldn't 'do rain', and how wrong I was- I am now a 'rainseeker', and can recommend it!

My mega cheapo Power Rangers style watch is giving very strange readings! I did a fastish  (for me) 2 miles in 16 mins, but the monitor told me my heart rate was only 79- now I know I'm getting fitter but that's ridiculous, especially I ran until my lungs were in my mouth!!! Tried again and it was a more respectable 125 bpm...grrr technologyimage

EmarkM- I agree with your approach- the point is to run regularly not to 'race' all the time- it is hard to get the pace right though...

Have entered another race, this time it's a taril race, 4.2 miles in September...will also do it for Cancer Research (Like R4L), as my mum has survived it 3 times...

• Morning!

I have also found that running in the rain is so much more pleasant (except for when its coming down so hard I cant actually see).... Lucky I live in England eh!

I have started my 5k interval training with a app on my phone but suffering from a knee injury so its a mental battle trying to decide whether to keep at it or stop and wait until Im fully recovered..

I dont feel at all ready to enter a race yet, I am overweight and know shifting some weight will help with my fitness too...Good on you Missdianelouise for your race for Cancer..I always race for Cancer or Diabetes as both have alot of meaning for me. I plan to enter the R4L next summer... and if by early next year I am in a better condition I will enter a couple of fun runs to see how I go...

Anyone dieting? or have a good diet to do along side running + weight loss?

• Hi All

NV - Good Luck at Outlaw!! Im sure you will do great and if you get tough times in the race just think of the chips and beer afterwards image

Hi to all the new newbies. Sounds like all the training is going well.

Did a 10k race last sunday, 5.5miles at club on Monday got a 5mile trail/fell race on Tuesday called 20barriers. apparently you have to climb over or go through 20 different barriers on the race, thought it would be a bit of a change plus alot of folk from my club are doing it. then Im doing the 10k in London a week on Sunday. So a busy week ahead image 

• Morning all,

You're a race demon Claire image Good luck with them, and thanks. Getting properly excited now, and finding it hard to concentrate on anything else. Nice little OW swim last night in a positively balmy 17 degree lake, and with a Garmin that didn't fill up with water.

Freckles, I lost a couple of stone eating porridge for breakfast, a couple of pieces of fruit mid- morning, a chicken, tuna or salmon salad at lunchtime with a lot of green leaves in it, granola bar mid-afternoon then a normal dinner in the evening but just being very aware of portion size.

Nothing wrong with beetroot coloured, shows you're working hard Bungle.

Hi everyone else. 

Edited to say: DelB, difficult to put a time on it because it will depend on how quickly you heal and how bad the strain is. As a former king of the calf injury, 4-6 weeks was about usual for a tear.

• Was going to go out for the 5K tonight, but it's just too hot & humid!

Looks like Friday evening might be cooler, so I think I'll go for Friday night, Sunday morning image 

• Evening all

I dont blame you EMarkM... I went out for my 2nd session of 5k interval training... my knee didnt hurt all day today so I went but about half way i was struggling but continued anyway... only a measly 3.26k in 28 minutes (including the 10 minutes of warm ups and cool downs)... it was really hot just walking...but at least its done!

Luckily my next session is Friday evening image hope your right and the weathers cooler.. not going out Sunday as its my daughters first birthday party...

NV your diet sounds ideal... i think portion sizes may be my downfall...something to work on! 

Hope everyone had a lovely day x

• Freckles, it's not a diet, it's just what I eat now. If I'm not trying to get to a racing weight I just tend to eat a bit more in the evening. The other thing I forgot about was getting to bed earlier so that I didn't start to get hungry late in the evening, and doing all of my evening training before eating, rather than eating, leaving it a couple of hours then training.

Last day at work today. Massage booked for tonight, pack the car tomorrow morning, then off to the East Midlands whilst panicking.

• I've been running now on and off for about 5 months. I was planning on a run tonight but I have a dilemma. And that is, do I go to the pub or not. LOL. I have to say I do like a drink which is my down fall. Mind you I did have 8 pints on Friday night and still managed a 10k run in 55 mins on saturday morning. Not doing that again though. LOL.

• Run, then pub. Simple. Don't get the order mixed up though. image

• I realise that now. LOL. Running tomorrow instead to make up for it.

• NV is it here already? good luck mate. I'm sure you'll have a good race. Can't wait for the report!

• Got out for the 5K. Not a great time (38:48), but the humidity is still a little high for my taste, plus I had had a rather heavy lunch!

Still, that bit of a breeze helped a bit, and my pace really picked up for the last half mile or so, another patttern I'm starting to notice: even after my usual five minute warm-up walk, it still takes me quite some significant running time to realise that I *can* go faster.

My pace usually does seem to pick up quite well towards the end of my run, and this evening I was positively belting along for the last 0.5 miles. Not a bad style, methinks.

Have a great weekend, Newbies 2! 

• NV - Good Luck!!!!! You'll do great!

MD - Hope you had a good holiday.

Graham - Great time for a 10k specially after a night out. So did pub or run win this time??image

Freckles - How's your knee doing? Better I hope. I suffer with knee niggles.

Well was out this morning and I did some speed work!!! Breaking myself back into it gently image so I only did 4x400m need to work on it but it was good and I knew I'd pushed myself! Will be out for a run in the morning I'm thinking 7-8miles a short one.
  • EMarkM-I get that too- find it hard to get going, but much better later...had a bit of a rubbish run tonight- I knew I wasn't really in the mood, but I hadn't run since Tuesday so I thought I ought to...did 2 miles in 17 mins- felt crap, didn't enjoy and just hope the next one is better...glad I did it tho!

Claire- might try your 4x400 to speed myself up and get some variety- do you do it on a track?

Have a great weekend everybody - watch those puddles!image