Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options
    MDL, to paraphrase a thousand bumper stickers, a bad day running is still better than a good day at the office!
  • Options

Hi Claire,

Im out for a 10k this morning. It seems to be brightening up a bit now although a bit breezy which I guess is nice. Going to start of slower today as i did a run on tuesday which was 4.3k and a time of 22 mins. I decided to try a fast run but due to heat and lack of stamina I had to stop. Will let you know how I get on.

• Options

Morning all

Claire - My knee is still not recovered, went out for my 3rd day of interval training last night and could only do 6/8 of the runs as i noticed i was limping... so i stopped before i did more damage... i have 2 days off now, lucky really as I have to spend all of today baking cakes for my daughters first birthday party tomorrow... must try not to eat them all!

EmarkE - This humid weather does not make running any easier but sounds like you did fab! keep up the good work!

Graham - Good luck with your 10k this morning... hope it doesnt rain too hard where you are, down here its just breezy breezy!

Well have a good day folks... off to the kitchen i go!

• Options

I surprised myself this morning. I did 8.48 miles (13.64km) in 1 hr 22 mins. Well happy with that. I took it easy instead of rushing and found it much easier. Average speed was 5.94 mi/h and average pace was 10.06 min/mi.

Legs are aching though. LOL.

• Options
    /members/images/720376/Gallery/8.48miles.jpg

Oh! and boy was it windy!!!!!

• Options

Graham- inspirational- gonna go further tomoorw, defo-come wind, rain or (heaven forbid) shine!

Freckles- supermom or what??!!!

Mark- I want that bumper sticker- to put somewhere apporpiate when I am out running (badly!)

• Options
    missdianelouise wrote (see)

Mark- I want that bumper sticker- to put somewhere apporpiate when I am out running (badly!)

Hur hurimage

• Options

Little 5K for me this morning (well, the usual size, thinking about it...)

Average time (36:25) although this might not be strictly accurate, as the GPS on my phone wouldn't lock on, and I had to resort to the backup, being my trusty Timex Ironman and my dodgy memory concerning the turning point for this there-and-back route.

Still, quite satisfied. Good luck to all racing/training/recovering from injury (!) today image

• Options

two options tonight: try once more to get my nearest and dearest to put his fag down and get his new trainers dirty...failing that try to do something I've been meaning to do- run for an hour without stopping- it's a bit of a milestone apparently...or is that millstone?!!

Failing either of the above, I'll do the usual 5K..only got three weeks to go until my first ever race (for life), and would love to convert my 16min 2 mile into a 25 min 5K...eekimage

Have a great week everyone!

• Options

Home again, with a 13:32:19 finish time image Ran a 4:50 mara off a wet and windy bike and after a nightmare of a swim, so pretty chuffed with the result. Race report after I've slept for a few days.

• Options
    Have a good snooze. (And well done!)
  • Options

Well done NV!!

Ended up doing a 5K last night- went round a loop in the other direction (ie uphill first!) and felt the difference...it was also chucking it down and quite slippy when I went off-road (past sheep and lambs..!), and also had to go up another hill I've only ever tackled going down. Didn't feel very quick, and it wasn't - just over 5K in 29 minutes, but I did enjoy it, and will do the route again...the 25 min 5K looks a bit of a way off at the moment, even though I did do it once- I have hit a bit of a plateau, I thinkimage

• Options
    MDL - Mixing up your regular routes can be good fun image

Might try a four-miler tonight, which was my original intention on my previous run, when my phone GPSR stopped talking to the sky!
  • Options

Just did a 6.17 mile run in 57 mins. Felt fairly easy and took it steady with an average speed of 6.41 mi/h and average pace of 9.22 min/mil. Going to do another 6 miler on thursday with a 10 miler on Saturday.

• Options

Hi All

Sorry I know im terrible at keeping up with the chat on here. Hope everyones running is going well. Just been and done a speed session on a track, got very heavy legs now! Especially after last nights fell race! ha ha first attempt at one and I loved it!! It was the 20 barriers one I mentioned a bit ago was just great. Anyway 5.6miles of fields, hills, woods, canals and cows hiding one of the gates I got round in 1hr 5 mins 58 which isnt half bad! Thankfully a club member ran round with me as I really think I would have got lost on my own. but I know what to look out for now. image Bet still get lost though.

NV - Oops sorry IroN.V imageimage Congratulations!!!! Awesome time there!!! Bet your very happy. Hope you've had suitable celebrations image Oh I didn't realise you were a Pirate. Believe Outlaw was a sea of Yellow and Black.

• Options

Claire, Outlaw was indeed a sea of yellow and black. I managed to drink half of a guinness straight after the race but it very nearly came staright back up again. I may have had a few glasses of bubbles at home yesteday with Mrs NV.

Oh, and it's still NV. I'll get rid of that when the buzz goes image

• Options

Finally, a race report image

Organisation was outstanding and all the marshall and feedstation support was unbelievable. The Pirate feed on the bike was just such a massive boost that it seemes a bit like an unfair advantage.

The swim was a bit of a blur for me. I started at the back of pen 3 and still managed to get myself swum over twice. About half way down the outward leg, my goggles started to leak, so I adjusted them and they started to leak worse. In fact they filled up, and it didn't matter what I did with them after that they were constantly full of water. Fortunately with the lake being so narrow I could site on the vague outline of the bank so I did that. Every now and then I emptied them out, got a look forwards and carried on swimming. Finally came out of the water in 1:39 with my eyes stinging like crazy.

Sat in T1 listening to the commentator saying that there were people still in the water who weren't going to make the cut-off and decided I'd better get my finger out. Pulled on the bike gear and out to the racking area, pausing only to grab a handful of sun cream to slap over myself. Saw FB and Petal at the bike mount which was a nice lift.1 mile out on the bike I was still trying to decide if my eyes were ruined from the swim. Got myself settled then discovered that the blurred vision was being caused by a thick coat of sun cream all over the sunglasses. Pocketed the offending article and decided to continue. Key learning point for next time: if something ain't right, stop and fix it. By the time I reached T2 my eyeballs felt like someone had sandpapered them.

Really enjoyed the bike. I was passing people regularly, and hardly being passed. I kept giggling to myself and thinking "I'm actually doing an Ironman!" Pirate feed was brilliant, and special thanks to the lady pirate who scavenged me a couple of gels when the previous feed had run out and I was starting to worry a bit about the nutrition plan. Lots of wind, then some rain, then some hail then some more wind and finally back into T2 for a 6:40 bike split.

Another epic transition and onto the run. I was just passing the finish chute for the first time when Harry Wiltshire finished thus guaranteeing a cameo on the telly.Felt great till just about 16 miles when I just stopped running. I don't remember making a conscious decision to stop, it just happened. Mixed up run/walk for the remainder, chatted to lots of people on the walk bits. Finally into the last lap and down the chute, accelerating all the way up to warp factor 10 minute miling to go through the tape for a finish of 13:32.

Had a brilliant day, made better by the support. I felt like a pro athlete at times, even if I didn't perform like one. Mentally, 13:30 was my everything goes like a dream target and to be 2 minutes outside that with the wind on the bike course was really satisfying. Even better, I never had a moments' doubt that I would finish from the instant the gun went off. Must have got all the doubting out of the way during the week.

Pirates rock! Now all I need to do persuade the family that I need to do another one.

• Options
    Fantastic race report!! Sounds like an amazing day!!! Well Done image I like the name change you deserve to relish the buzz it's a huge achievement.

Would like to think possibly maybe one day but the thought of the swim bit scares the s##t out of me lol
  • Options

One of those evenings when you go out wit the best intentions to run faster, or further or just better somehow..the weather is humid but dry and you are really up for it..then it all gets a bit hot and sweaty (which I hate!), and then there's The Hill. I did run all the way up it, and when I got to the top, the heavens opened and it rained sooo hard- fantastic! The last 3K was a virtual swim and the sheep were looking at me in complete bewilderment. The time wasn't great- 4.2K in 40 mins, but at leats I enjoyed it- not had that for about a week...back in the game??

Anyone else get drenched? NV- the race report is ace, and inspiring!!

• Options

Hi all,

Claire, you don't know until you give it a try. 3 years ago I couldn't swim more than 25m in one go and didn't have a bike. You probably remember my first trip out on that lasted 3 miles and I came back knackered.

MDL, running in the rain is great isn't it?

Hi everyone, hoping to have a bit more time to spend on here now that Outlaw is over. Plannig an easy 30 minute trot tonight to see if everything still works. Might have a short swim tomorrow as well.

• Options

LOL I only managed a 5 miles run today. My legs just didn't have anything in them. But I have totalled 17 miles this week which is my most miles in a week so far. Maybe I over did it a bit. I had a lucozade energy drink before I ran so not sure if that was a good idea or not.

Also one thing I have noticed is that every time I run, through out it I get a sick feeling about 3 times in stages. I have to take deep breathes then it goes away. Doesn't really affect my running but it is wierd. Anyone else experience this?

• Options

My best time so far! 5K in 23:37, which is all very well, but on the flat, whereas my R4L has hills. Have done a little hill work (see previous), but am going to have to bite the bullet a bit more over the next 2 weeks...any advice as to what to do in the week running up to the big day? It's on the 22nd...

Still trying to fit a swim in, get off-road and start eating properly...image

• Options

HI All

Wow its quiet, thought I would have missed loads.

Well yesterday I did the British 10k in London, It was a fantastic run, unbelievably busy alot of walkers..... But saying that I got round in my usual training time run for a 10k 1hr 6mins so I am happy with that. The sights of London on the course were great plus it was fun running down the embankment with crowds to cheer you on! image even in the rain, (alot of them had left when I got there in the marathon tee hee)

Iro.NV hope your taking the training easier for a bit, and hope youve recovered well after Outlaw.

MDL - Advice for the week upto the event I would say take it easy dont push things as you dont want to injure yourself right before the day. You know you can run the 5k distance at a very fast pace so dont worry just keep the legs ticking over at a nice pace so you will be ready to go at race time.

Graham - Think everyone gets runs like that, I know I do, you set off then legs just feel like lead weights. But its good training and its all time on your feet.

• Options

HI all,

Yep, recovered pretty well thanks Claire, although an 8 hour endurance lawn laying session on Saturday has left me with tight hamstrings image Sounds like great fun Walkers always increase the time and distance involved in a race, so you did well to equal your training 10k time.

MDL, Claire's spot on. You won't get any more training benefit 2 weeks out from the race. It's not long eenough for the adaptation to take place. You could do a couple of race pace sessions at the beginning of the week and swim or cycle or something up till the day before. Take the weight off your feet the day before then go and hammer your race image

Graham, not sure aboutt he sickness thing. Might be something to do with the timing of your eating. Hungry or still full?

Back into it with a venegeance this week. A run interval sessions , 10 mile bike TT, a tempo run and a 90 minute brick plus an OW swim if I can fit it in somewhere.

• Options

NV - 8hours lawn laying could that be a world record image not suprised youve got tight hamstrings after that. Cheers it was a little testing at times, but it was and is a fun run so I just decided to go with the flow and enjoy the sites and the crowds.

Hope the training goes well this week, Ive decided to have an easy week this week think Ive worn myself out of late so recharging the batteries with lighter training.

• Options

Hi NV, yeah its really wierd, because off work I run when I get home from work which is about 7.30pm. The last time I eat on tuesday and thursday's run is around 1pm so nothing until I come back of the run. And on Saturday's I don't each until I get back from the run.

I always presumed it was best not to each before you go running. Mind on Saturday I had a lucozade sport drink an hour before I ran to try and give me a bit more energy.

Any advise would be great.

• Options

Graham, it is hard to fit in work, kids, food and running...I really struggle with it, and tbh it's only once I've set off that I realise I've done it again...just shows how getting into a running routine can help other parts of life- I KNOW my biggest problem is not eating the right kind of food at the right time - my eldest son gave me a good talking to re the importance for a good breakfast (I know!!!)..

Claire, NV- thanks for the advice- much appreciated and I'll follow it- you've not been wrong yet! NV you really are made of iron!!

Day off, then a slower run tomorrow...plus decent food and lots of water!

• Options

Yeah I am going to start eating a banana just before I run. Maybe even a small helping of pasta. I am wondering if going out on an empty stomach is not a good thing to do. I don't struggle with energy loss, just this sickness feeling. It only lasts for about 5 seconds and then its gone. I am going for a 10k run tomorrow so will see how I get on.

• Options

missdianelouise wrote (see)

NV you really are made of iron!!

Only the bits that aren't made of curry and beer image

Graham, you could try a smoothie or (my  favourite breakfast when I know I'm going to run soon after) some runny porridge. I find I need to avoid anything with fat in it as well.

• Options

Banana watch- Day 1! image