Newbies 2

Comments

• JLx wrote (see)
    Hey sinkingthinking-sounds great! HIIT training kind of scares me but I have tried the odd run with sprints for a few minutes followed by walking....I just don't like the idea of feeling so exhausted I might be sick hahaha!

I have read that it's better for people who are reasonably fit to start with, so I'm not doing proper HIIT quite yet, but what I'm doing is closer to HIIT than it is to endurance and steady state exercise. However on my rest days - rest from resistance training that is - I'm going to do the gentler, longer duration cardio that most people here do. I've found that I'm not as fit as I thought, so I'm going to wait until on those days I can run at a moderate pace for a reasonable amount of time before I go for it on the other days as explosively as HIIT requires. Today I ran just ten minutes around the block, half of it slightly uphill on the pavement, and I kept getting exhausted and forced to make it a kind of interval training! Is that normal for a twenty three year old? image

• sinkingthinking wrote (see)
    JLx wrote (see)
    Hey sinkingthinking-sounds great! HIIT training kind of scares me but I have tried the odd run with sprints for a few minutes followed by walking....I just don't like the idea of feeling so exhausted I might be sick hahaha!

I have read that it's better for people who are reasonably fit to start with, so I'm not doing proper HIIT quite yet, but what I'm doing is closer to HIIT than it is to endurance and steady state exercise. However on my rest days - rest from resistance training that is - I'm going to do the gentler, longer duration cardio that most people here do. I've found that I'm not as fit as I thought, so I'm going to wait until on those days I can run at a moderate pace for a reasonable amount of time before I go for it on the other days as explosively as HIIT requires. Today I ran just ten minutes around the block, half of it slightly uphill on the pavement, and I kept getting exhausted and forced to make it a kind of interval training! Is that normal for a twenty three year old? image

Mate, l dont think you should be asking if it's "normal" for a twenty three year old. Facts are that each person is hugely individual and thats just where you find yourself just now.

Try giving short sessions of HIIT a go for now and progress to longer sessions in due course.

• Morning all,

I think I'd steer clear of the interval training until you have a really good base of endurance. Slower running is definitely the way to go for a new runner. You need time to build strength in muscles and tendons etc. before you start pushing yourself hard. Speedwork done too early is a good way of injuring yourself. If you have to do something, do a few strides (reps of 100m or so at about 90% effort) at the end of an easy run.

Finally got my arse into gear and did a couple of runs over the weekend. Felt like very hard work. I'm amazed how much fitness I've lost in 6 weeks.

• NV it isn't lost, its on holiday!

Well i managed to get a few good runs under the belt. 10 miles saturday nice and steady negative split (by about 4 minutes) all at v low RPE low HR and felt easy! just a brilliant run all in all. Then, ran home from work on tuesday 5.8miles in 42'30. Felt good, if a touch warm and then a nother 4 steady at lunchtime today. Feeling good, throw in a few cycle commutes and a gym session and its going well. Hell I'll be ready for the tri season, just after it ends! image

by HIIT i take it we mean interval stuff? gotta agree with NV hold off doing too much (if any) of that until you have a base of fitness. Look at what you want to achieve by running - general fitness, great but do you have a target, run for half hour or 5k etc. When you can manage that slow and steady - then look to go faster throw in intervals, some fartlek (random bursts of speed when running), or tempo runs (just going as hard as you can maintain) for a disctance or time - probably half what your distance is, so 15 mins or 2.5k etc. It will help your body become more resillient and place less stress on joints ligaments etc as NV said. Your fitness increases much quicker than your joint strength!

• Hi All

Wow its quiet on here, been struggling with motivation recently plus finding the runs very hard work. but have been keeping low mileage ticking over. Really need to get back into it. Still want a bike though image

Hope everyones training has been going well

• Thanks for the advice everyone, it's finally sunk in that I should probably build up to a much better level of fitness than I currently have before doing HIIT. I am still doing interval training, because that's good for everyone, just not the HIIT kind yet.

• wow... you go away for a year and then boom...you have a thousand pages to catch up onimage

So I started excercisin' again recently - have decided that I peaked then troughed (badly)  - number of things caused this too numerous to mention but the majority of which all you existing newbies from when I was on will probably know from Farcebunk and all that...

Anyhow, I'm now back to overweight and unfit, I'm trying to take it steady baby steps etc., make contact with the people who got me through the tough first bits the first time around and taking it from there; off out for either a cycle or plod later.

I hope all you old and new newbies are doing well...

• Hey Willy nice to see you back. As you can see its been but quiet on here of late. So any plans with training? Are you doing tri's? I signed up the other day for a cycle event. Not been on a bike seen at school.... Think it'll be fun! Ha ha
  • Hey all. Correct me if I'm wrong but is this where us newbies say "Hi"?

I've just discovered the 'joys' of running. No really! I've never ran in my life before!

I'm 41 and up until April was a lardy full english breakfast munching layabout when I had some sort of 'eureka' moment whilst watching a marathon and decided to lose weight and get fit.

I started dieting in the first instance and lost 2 stone over the next 8 weeks or so, my thinking being that I'd lose the weight so as to save my joints a bit of aggro. I then started doing a bit of cycling and finally moved onto the running in late June.

I got the 'Couch Potato to 5k' podcasts on the iPod and hit the road......eight weeks later, I am REALLY enjoying the running. I'm running 5k every other night now and cannot believe how much progress I've made!!

Well hello...that's me for now. I'm gonna keep it up and do some 10k's in the coming months.......I've entered a marathon next year so I've got a long hard winter ahead!!

• Hi Swervin Mervin. Welcome. Sounds like you have made good progress. Running is great fun isnt it? So which marathon have you entered?? Keep at it and let everyone know how your getting on. image

• Hi Claire, Yep still very much wanting to do the tri again - haven't done one for 12months now - but will get back to it - a cycle event good on you, they're a blast - I get to feeling that that will be the event I hit first or at least long rides as I can then concentrate on losing weight without trashing my knees.

SM - it sounds rather like the you are just ahead of me on the curve - I've been through it once, I'm sure we can both do it - and on here there are great folks that will help us both I know it.  Good luck with the continued running - so cycling and running, thought of swimming? image

• Hello I'm 2wheels, as the name suggests I have a cycling background. Stopped racing a few years ago but still suffer the odd relapse (most recently last years 3 peaks cyclo-cross) still do a lot of mileage (15 miles each way to work). I started running last year when I started seeing a trithlete and soon realised that starting running was the only good thing in that relationship!

This year I just scraped under 21 minutes for a 5km, under 50 for a (slightly long) 10km and a 1hr 49 for the Letchworth Greenway challenge. Having never run for more than an hour in one go was quite chuffed with that. Then it all went wrong, a calf injury followed by a heart scare (thankfully just a virus) saw the summer's plans abandoned.

Have been back running for 2 weeks with a clean bill of health the targets for the next few months are to better the 10km and 1/2 times in the Letchworth 10km in October and the Stevenage half in November. Then all being well I'll do the Portsmouth marathon at Christmas and then the Marrakech 1/2 in January with an aim of sub 1hr 35.

• Hi Claire. Yep, I honestly can't believe how much of a buzz it's giving me. I'm really enjoying pushing myself to do 'that little bit more' all the time.

Went out for a run tonight and did 5k in my best time so far....26:57 which I was well chuffed with! (measured on my GPS gubbins so there is margin for error image)

I've entered the Brighton marathon, next April.....so a long long way to go yet!

Yeh, Willy.....seems a friendly place. Makes a change for me to be on a forum NOT talking about cars! Good luck to you too......yep, swimming might be on the agenda too. Kids go on a Saturday morning for swimming lessons and was thinking of utilising that opportunity while I'm there rather than sitting watching them.

Hiya 2wheels......Keen on cycling here too! Just got myself a new bike and on the days I'm not running, I get out for a spin.

• Willy!!! Welcome back mate image. You'll get back at it in no time. Baby steps is right, but I don't need to tell you that. Got any races targeted?

SM, hi and welcome.

2wheels, hi. Get yourself entered into a triathlon as well image

Still struggling for motivation a bit at the moment. Very lethargic, and a stone heavier than when I last raced. I think the 2 things may be related image. Going to have a sit down and set some goals this week.

• Iro.NV - triathlon is a no - I swim like a brick! I do think about doing a duathlon or 2 but as multi-sport goes that is it!

• So do I 2W, so do I...

My picture there is a somewhat tongue in cheek pic of Aquaman image

Never had a race where I haven't been in the bottom 10% of the swim times. Makes it so much easier to find your bike in transition.

• Hi new on here and new to running, yesterday i went and bought a pair of running shoes,woke up this morning at 5.30am and went for a run i think it was more of a jog, dont know the distance but it took me 45minutes to do. I felt like rocky balboe, with my hoody and baggy cotton shorts.

At the age of 34 and wight of 15stone and a height of 5,7 iv decided that i need to get out and loose weight. I do a lot of cycling but not enouh weigth loosing, a few boys at work say do some running and should see a few pounds falling off then.

So im giving it a go.

• Hi All

Was away last weekend, so not done much running of late. I WILL get out tonight when I get mhome from work.

Hey Willy, Im sure you will get back into the tri's. Yep I really liked the look of this cycle event and was fab that you can hire a bike from them. So it will give me a good idea if I should buy a bike.... image I know what the answer is already.

Hi 2 Wheels sounds like you've got a good mix of events there.

Swervin Mervin - Your doing fab!! your loads quicker than me over the 5k distance. I got myself round London this year so believe me If I can do a marathon anyone can!! Have you looked at any plans to follow yet? It may be worth it..... Any questions just ask.

Hi IroNV - Yeap I know how you feel, ive got very lethargic recently too. I needed a goal and found the cycle event. Think I will end up getting a bike after it though. I will resist swimming though tee hee.

Hi Michael and Welcome Awesome work re your run. 5.30am though!! I dont know how you manage that. thought I was an early bird with a 7am start once. Running is great, any questions just ask away..

• Hi all,  I haven't run for a couple of years, but booked a 10k for October to motivate and get me out.  first road run tonight!! a bit apprehensive is putting it mildly.

• Hi All

Penny Hi and Welcome How did you get on?? Hope you had fun. image Which 10k are you doing??

Well I made it out for a little run last night, It was great really bouncy ha ha. Wasnt any faster than I usually am but I just really enjoyed it.

• Hi all,

Welcome Michael and PP.

Well done Claire. Getting re-motivated as well?

About 1100m OW swim last night with a colleague and a load of people from the tri club. Then bike commute today. 2 consecutive days training. I'm impressing myself!!!

• Hi Guys,  I did it, not very far and it took far too long to reach some sort of comfort zone but I finished it and the last leg was up a steady hill.  Legs ache today not sure whether to go again tomorrow or swim tomorrow and run similar on Friday.  What does anyone think?

Claire, the 10K is Tamworth.  regretted booking that for about 20 minutes last night Tee hee!! 

• Penny Pit image Well Done!!! Sounds like you did great, if your legs are aching Id go for a swim tomorrow then run on Friday. You'll love the race.

IroNV - Yep needing motivation. Well Done on the OW swim and bike commute you'll be back into it all in no time.

• yes I'm new to this like yourself. Tough going yes, no?

• Hello, this is my first post! I've just started the second week of a C25k programme, and I'm really enjoying it so far, though it's by no means easy. I've never been able to run for more than a couple of minutes straight before, so I'm a bit nervous about the coming weeks, but also really excited about being able to do it. Running is something I've wanted to be able to do for a while, so fingers crossed I'll get better! Looking forward to chatting to similarly new running folk image

• Welcome Lottie! image

Well, not caught up on everyone's new yet - hope all Newbies 2 are doing OK.

This morning was my first run since my last post (holidays and so-on got in the way, as expected), but I went out for the little 5K (one day maybe I'll do a BIG 5K) and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

About an average time for me, which is not bad considering it's the first run since mid-July.

Mind you, I have been fairly active in the meantime with lots of walking for Geocaches and the dog!

Have a great weekend, everyone. Running is good! 

• Hi, seems like its got a little quite in here i hope everyone is ok & still training. 

Completed my first HM today, was pretty stressed about doing it as i put the pressure of getting a specific time & not getting it would have been failure. Had about 2hours sleep last night, struggled with my training last few weeks(think i was over trained resting hr was high) various injuries & illness & windy weather i felt pretty much beaten before i started.

Well i did it.

so bit of a lesson learned for me to not stress so much as on race day you are rested & training is never perfect but i wouldn't set a target unless i thought i was capable, so a little faith in ones self is needed.

Now i will bore you with the details

splits 6:57.41, 6:48.10, 6:42.05, 6:56.59, 6:51.33, 6:52.56, 6:38.67, 6:39.44, 6:35.46 6:39.30, 6:27.74 6:06.07 6:25.00

The race itself was well organised the course was fast & flat but major bottle necks  was a problem & really struggled to get into a rhythm for  the first 6 miles constantly dodging round people. Felt strong after the first 6 miles though & put my foot down, found a bit more space & got into a nice rhythm, final 3 miles i just went for it, Think i thought i was nearer the end than i was as it loops back & had to really dig in when i realised, wind was also strong at this point. final quarter of a mile got a second wind as there was alot support ran hard & fast but had to stop dead in my tracks because it was so narrow and congested round the last few corners. Probably only added a few seconds to my time but a bit frustrating.

Forgot to stop my Garmin as i just collapsed over the line & thought i was going to throw up but was around 1:27.

• Hi all ive been away for a while, well i did my half marathon yesterday i came in last and it took me 3 hours to do it but im glad i have done it and got the medal for it.

• Hello everyone, I've been browsing the forums the last couple of days and decided to say hi. I am currently recovering from M.E/C.F.S and now feel well enough to be able to start exercising again! Before I was ill I ran/walked the Race For Life (June last year) and was very happy with a time of 38 minutes. After that I fell terribly ill and didn't do any walking again until March of this year!!! I am currently on the second week of a 10 week walking plan, hoping to achieve a goal of being able to walk 5k in under an hour before Christmas! Only then will I think about starting running again! image Nice to meet everyone, looks like a very friendly and positive atmosphere!

• HI all,

Back again!

Nice one Suzanne  image. A half marathon is an achievement to be proud of.

Welcome JH. This thread has been a bit quiet recently.Very sensible, steady targets. Good luck with them.

Slowly getting motivated and fit again. 9 mile run yesterday at a  very sedate pace, then ride to work this morning with a puncture at almost exactly the midpoint of the commute. Snapped a tyre lever changing the tube and had to phone home for rescuing. Mrs NV was not best pleased!