Could I really do it?

Comments

• I am STARVING!!! And now I am dribbling and want to steal the rest of K9's choccie, image 

After I have stolen Adbru's food of course. image

Adbru - crikey and WHAT a bummer! Well done on carrying on despite it. Phew I bet that was tough going! You are getting in some fab training - brill! When do you think your bike will be well again?

k9 - I think the  ahem - ''gentle swimbling'' as you call it is actually much harder work than you think. In fact I know it is and you do like 100;s of lengths too! I think that combined with the cycling is why you felt so knacked. Maybe cut down a bit on the lengths on the days you cycle? Ok maybe not as I know you have an addition to water or can we call it a scratch that simply has to be scratched? image

Well I cycled just under 21 miles. It was ok. Had a strong headwind to contend with on the way out but consoled myself with the thought of a tailwind on the way back in (out and back today).

But dear oh dear it is very odd riding my hybrid on longer rides now! I'm so much more used to Ruby that it feels like a bit of a grind! Dear oh dear!

Anyway all done and now I must go as Mr Scoobs has made curry. I ADORE curry. YEY!

• Ah back on Saturday I see. Lets hope it is all lovely and the gears are smooth as smooth can be. image

• Scoobs, thanks for the advice hon, will keep plodding till I find a decent group image moving house soon, so hopefully things should look up. I'm a drving instructor - for my sins, so don't really have work colleagues, just an armful of 17 year olds who think I'm bonkers!image
  • (and we know you are bonkers !)

Just bumbled 64 lengths at the pool and a bit of a soak in the hot tub

• Hiya,

----- rant alert ----

had a crap day image  (after a crap parents nite at school last nite)

got bogged down in niff naff this morning so didnt get my run,
    Car has started playing silly beggars,
    Arrived at hotel in crawley to find the pool is shut ! bang goes my mile swim tonight then ! image
    looking like a beasting on the gym bike tomorrow nite instead.

gave up on a bad day and spent the evening doing my OU study while devouring room service menu.....

ho hum, tomorrows another day....

----- rant over -----

well done on the swim Dave (I'm jealous ! )
    Scoobs - just think how easy it will feel when you get back on Ruby !
    Colourin - keep going with the bike (I still dont like it......)
    K9 - thanks for the thoughts

<<< and relax >>>>

nite nite

• Thanks for that Dave image

I just got some new pedals and cleats!imageimage But can't get one of the old ones off! Arh! Might have to drag it to Wilmslow on Sunday get Mr SA on the case!

And in true girlie fashion, after I got one done, I tried it with the shoe, and now can't get the shoe off! I know.....bless....... 

• You know you can trust your mates !!
  • Hi all

LOL Colourin - that gave me a good chuckle! Is the shoe off yet? At least you had a go! I would not have the foggiest!

Oh dear Adbru - you're not getting much of a break what with that and your bike trouble! How's things now? Any better?

I rested on Wednesday purely becuase I didn't  get any spare time as we travelled up to Uni of Birmigham with teenage scoobs and back. She really likes it there so I think this is where she may well go in Sept - WAIL - I will miss her SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! Nice uni thought and I think she will like it there very much. image

Thursday - oh yes that was yesterday - I went swim swims. I was not in a good mood, so i took it out on my swim and conseuqently swam 1.6k faster than I ever have before. It took me 34.43. I would like to say it was my technique. Sadly it was more to me exhausting myself as I felt wobbly when i got out. My HR was sky high!

Oh dear I thought to myself as I then headed to the x-bike session which consisted of the usual gruelling sprints and hills. All I will say about that was this. I felt sick - eurrrghhh.

Mind you I discovered it was all worth it as I had the most amazing high after. Those endorohin whatsits kicked in big time - WHOOOHOOOO! image

Arrrghhhh - I have just discovered the route for tomorrow. Good grief, they are doing Lopwell Damm, the hill up out of there is practically vertical, it is ridiculously silly. WIBBLE!!! I hope there is a convenient hedge as I think I may need it.....

• Our last one left for Uni last September.. The house is so quiet, but it means we can do things with out worrying about schools runs etc.. The other week, we went to the Lakes and rather than come back on Sunday, we jumped in the car at 6:00am and just made it back for work...
  • That sounds nice Dave, I hope we'll do similar things. I think it may take me a bit of time to adjust. I was terrible when my son left home, couldn't go in his room and kept bawling!

Boy folks that was some ride i had today. That's the hardest ride I've done to date. The weather was grim, 40+mph NW gusts which gave me a right buffeting and also made for very cold conditions. On top of that we had hail storms and rain. Not a great combination for a ride that was was advertised as a chance to get some hills in.

Of course this meant the lanes were wet, slippy and Mr Tractor had been down them and spread a nice lot of muck around too. And in true YOGi fashion (they oringate from mountain biking) we did the most God awful descents. Grit on the road too and narrow tight twisty bends. I just cannot seem to relax on descents whatsoever. I hated every single one and got myself into such a ridiculous pickle. So much so that my legs would not stop shaking. They were so so steep. I felt very cross with myself.

The climbs were tough too. I climbed higher than ever today. 5093ft in total. One was just silly. My front wheel came off the road and I thought I was going over but i managed to sort myself out. Max HR 174 today. The climbs and steep descents were endless. Steep climb followed by steep descent.

By the time we stopped for a cuppa I was frozen. 35 miles in and still had to get home. I almost called home to be honest I felt so cold. But a guy noticed what a mess I was in and took off 2 of his layers and made me put them on. How sweet was that! And then I started to warm up. A mug of steaming tea and a teacake followed by a mars bar also helped I think.

So of course now I'm feeling a bit better so instead of taking the easy option home I head for the most difficult one. WHY do i do that? Anyway that part went fine. 2 more very long climbs up on the moors, more rain but I was ok now and felt so much better than earlier.

57.76 miles done against the wind with endless climbs hence average speed just 12.1mph. Toughest ride ever. It better make me fitter or I shall not be happy!

• Well done scoobs - that sounds awful, but a great mental achievement! I'm hoping the weather picks up for tomorrow, don't much fancy running 13 miles in the cold wet wind!
  • Hi all

Best of luck for today Colourin - the weather is way way better here, so I hope it is for you too.

Today? Swim and run - I hope. Drills for swim and at least 6 miles for run.

Will I accomplish? Legs achey after yesterday so will swim first to loosen them off and then plan on taking the long route and run home.........

Laters....................
  • YEY - all done.

Swim - 2k. I did some drills today, so 500m warm up, then 200m fast/slow, 400m fists, 400m 3right, 3 left, 400m arms only, 100m cool down.

Then quick change hand bag to Mr Scoobs and off for my run.

Ran 7.4 miles. Furthest I've ran since I can't remember. Kept pace down and really enjoyed it. 9.52min miling overall. Could have carried on but I need to be sensible and build up very very carefully so I behaved myself and came home.

I is a happy scoobs. image

• Good going Scoobs, you'll be the quickest round bala yet!image

We had a good run at Wilmslow, fab atmosphere, ended up wearing my winter kit as it was soooo frosty here this morning, but by 10,30 the sun was out and it was really warm. I'll get the hang of it eventually!

Got a bit cross with a few people cutting me up, you'd think if someone overtakes you, that they'd keep going, but oh no, the just slow down in front of you, nearly tripping you up! Mrs SA did a sterling job of keeping me going,  felt really bad cos she could of got a better time. SO big thank you to Mrs SA for waiting for me!image And Thanks to the rest of the SA family for support. My olds turned up too, so collectively they did a fab job of spurring us on.

Amazing atmosphere along the finishing straight, people crowding the roads leaving only just enough room for us to get thru! Had to make a stirling effort so's I didn't look slow and pathetic running past them all!image

Great day all round, 1 minute off last time, achey legs and a touch of sunburn! 

• Yep Mrs SA's arms are burnt as well

• Hi all

Colourin - well done on your half. You are running really well. Well done on knocking a minute off your time too. Yes I agree if you are going to overtake then do it properly and keep going! Lovely that your family came to support you. Will they come to Bala? How is the bike going? How are the new pedals?

I rested yesterday.

So far today - I have swam this morning before work. Ran out of time though. Had planned on a straight 2k swim but and had to stop at 1.65k. Got muddled with the clock moving forward - doh! Anyway a good swim which was nice. it is peaceful in the pool 1st thing. I'm thinking about doing some open water swimming soon and if very lucky may have an opportunity this coming Friday.

I plan on running again this evening. Next weekend I have entered a 100k Audax as it starts in Falmouth which is my home town. It is on Sunday so we're going to make a weekend of it and head down on Friday to see family etc.

• Evening.

Run - 8.05 miles.

Bike tomorrow - hopefully.

• Yep, the whole family will be at Bala, 3 of us partaking, and 2 supporting!

Got a good 2k swim in this morning, not sure about doing open water yet Scoobs, water might be a bit chilly still! Don't think I'll get round to that till the end of April.

Still not fixed the bike image need someone with muscle to undo the pedal. image

• Was a little chilly in the out door pool at the gym this morning
  • DAVE!! Was it really that cold? I ''was.. thinking of heading into the sea on Friday. Maybe I'm being a bit too ambitious? it is just that I am at a conference right on Fistral beach (well not ''ON'' it) but right beside it. So I had thought if it finished early enough, I could take my stuff and go for a swimble...

Rant time so do not read if not in ''read rant'' mode.

NEVER have I suffered with a dicky knee before. Always my achilles. Yesterday at 6 miles it got a bit sore. Nothing to do, no phone, no money and it wasn't ''that'' bad. So I got myself home ok.

I've probably been too ambitious running 8 miles after 7.4 on Sunday. Anyway it's not that bad, but it is sore and feels a bit unstable.

Anyone had a dodgy knee before?

So I've not cycled tonight to try and give it a chance to b*gger off and I am getting withdrawal symptons already! I cannot even think about not doing my Audax on Sunday. Surely it will be ok for the bike. I hope so. It better be or I am going to have the BIGGEST fit ever! GRRRRR.

K9??? I NEED Chocolate!!!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Hands Scoobs family bag of revels
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever had a dodgy knee?

Hello, it's K9 here....

winner of the most injuries ever.

Of course I've had dodgy knees.

ITB type problems both sides that settled with swimming and massage mainly

and then a small meniscal tear in 2007 that stopped me in my tracks for 6 months

Oh yes, and then after the meniscal tear a weird inflammatory sort of problem where the lateral bit of quads attaches to the patella that got better with care and more massage.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Knees are usually OK on the bike, depending on the problem.

Why don't you try a SHORT test cycle before Sunday to see and not run before then

Get yourself to the pool

Where is it sore?

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

ps - well done Colourin in the HM . Go girlimage

Dave - OUTSIDE pool.EEEEEEEKimage

• i'm in the dodgy knee club - have been for years!image have to do lots of gym work to keep other muscles stable, not bulky muscles but defo enough to keep me steady!

I got myself roped into my first time trial! 25 miles! Eek! Double eek! Organiser just rang me to quiz me about experience! I've been assured it will be good for me - training wise - we shall see!image

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

ps

monthly totals:

swim 39 miles

cycle 82 miles

gymbike 4 hours

run 1.5 miles - still hurts

and a few other gym bits

• Not content with yesterday mornings swim, I went out and did 25 miles on the bike last night round Delamere and Frodsham....

Almost like a proper aflete

• Hi Guys, some good training going on !
    Hope all the injuries sort themselves out.....

Life and work seem to trying to screw my training but 17mile bike and one mile swim last night.

march totals.

swim  2.5miles
    bike 125 miles
    run run 39 miles.

• HI guys

Thanks for the revels k9.

Just for you, last night I ate minstrals, about half a family sized pack, M&M's the peanut ones (another half a bag) and some chewy bitter gummy things that teenage scoobs wanted. ON top of that I drank 2 pints of beer and ended up feeling very squishy. We walked to the pub so that I could moan all the way there about my knee and we walked home. Strangely after 2 pints my knee did not seem to concern me as much.... I was on a mission to get to the shop to buy me some choccy!

Pain was on the inside of the kneecap. It is still very sore there, almost as if someone has given it a whack. But now I have a sharp type pain also right underneath the knee cap. That decided to arrive today. I have no idea why as have done nothing!

Ok a short cycle I shall try - on Saturday. Got me some tubi grip now and some ibuprofen and some energy bars, so I hope all shall be well for Sunday!

Crikey k9 that is quite a list of knee probs!

Sorry to read the running not successful yet. But good going with the bike and of course AWESOME swim miles! <THUD>

HI Adbru - good to hear from you. I know what you mean about life and work. I will have exams that kick off big time right through May and June, just when I need to seriously make sure I train correctly - grrr.

Dave - good biking there too.

I'm still hoping to get in the sea tomorrow. Maybe freezing to death will do my knee good. image

Monthly totals:

Swim - 10 miles
    Bike - 354 miles
    Run - 56 miles

• K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Does that include your gymbike miles Scoobs?