Could I really do it?

Comments

• Hi k9 - yes about 82 miles = gym bike or x-bike. image Rest all on road.

• Hi guys,

Had a closer look at my training plan, it is actually 3 sessions of each a week !  yikes (must read things in future)

looked like i was going to miss at least one bike this week so decided to be silly and combine 2 runs into one. Probably not the most sensible thing but went out and did 32miles on the bike today.
    2:33 including 12 mins on stops to allow blood to flow bad to areas where it shouldnt stop flowing !!

poor average speed but lots of 'undulations' .... I was never so pleased to get home !
    Went for a shower and OUCH , seems I now have a chaffing problem image

good luck with the sea Scoobs !

Adbru

(looking forward to a rest day tomorrow ) 

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

OK Scoobs...

where are you?

I don't like it when we don't hear from you for a while, especially when your last posts were complaining about a gammy knee.

Hope all's good.

Lots of good cycling going on - Dave - the bike must be mended then, and well done Adbru on the 32 miler.

Looking forward to hearing about Colourin's time trial.

For me:

on call last night and stuck at work from 8am until 1 am. Broken short sleep. Got up at about 6:45 as couldn't get back to sleep. Couldn't swim as technically still on call until 9am and can't hear the phone under water!

Managed a cycle at 10am with friend - did 31.5 miles. Not fast but LOVED it! It is SO good to be getting outside again at last. Gradually increasing the mileage..will aim for 40-ish next weekend hopefully.

Slept all afternoon.

Tomorrow planning a walk up Scafell Pike. Hoping to do the 3 peaks in June so getting a bit of hill practice in.

Will swim before we set off.

Hope everyone else good!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

not too much choc today Scoobs - a non-chocolate fruit scone after cycling, a few bits of dark G&B, and a chocolate souffle from M&Simage

Now having large glass of wine and ready for bed again and it's only 6:30

My body is a temple (not)

• On the chocolate front, I caved yesterday, I was having such a crappy week i just couldn't ignore the double peanut butter giant kit kat that positively shouted at me from the shelfimage and very nice it was too!image

Did extra training today tho to make up for it. 2k swim and an hour in the gym. And hoping for a fair few miles on the bike tomorrow.

• Hi all!

k9 -  Aww, shucks, thanks for the concern matey. I'm fine, I've not been at home since Thursday night which is why I've not been on.

On Friday I went swimming after my conference at Fistral beach in Newquay. Only I ended up not doing much swimming. The waves were very big on that day, surfers delight. It was also quite windy and I simply could not get past and beyond them in order to swim across the bay which is what I did in September. Every time I got near the last set of waves they'd get me and sweep me back in again! It was actually very funny. I was giggling away as I frantically swam out again as fast as I could to try and beat them. But nope, they would get me again, crash onto me with a massive roar and carry me back in again! There was absolutely nothing I could do about it! Maybe if I had dived underneath I may have got through but I didn't think of that! In the end I gave up and just had fun messing about in the waves for a while. And to be honest it was pretty choppy even beyond the waves so I doubt I would have had a great swim anyway. All in all I had lots of fun though and got to get in the open water which was fab! And it wasn't that cold! Well I didn't think it was. image

Then today I did the Cornish 100k Audax. My knee held out really well so at least I know I can cycle ok. A tad under 65 miles on the bike. Lovely route all in the Cornish lanes from Falmouth out to Marazion and back via Porthleven. Very coastal, very pretty. Mr Scoobs did it too. I am delighted for him as he has not done this distance in a very long time. So pleased for him.

So that's me. Not sure about running. May try a short one this week.

Will read back later. After the Audax and the drive home, I is a tad weary.,...

• Grrr Not only have i pulled out of Bala, I've made to top of the waiting list for Chirk.....
  • Sod's law that is Dave, will we see you there anyway?
  • Yeah... I had offered to marshal as a way of trying to get Wrexham to bump me up, Suppose it's only fair that I do turn up !

looking to target Nantwich in September as my come back... Seems a hell of a long way away

• Aah, you'd be surprised how quick it comes around - I thought Bala was a long way off....gulp!
  • Hi all

EEEK - 9 weeks? Good grief, where has the time gone!

K9 - how was scafell? 3 Peaks in June - wow! So not long for you either then. When exactly is it? Well done on the bike miles, especially after so little sleep. Do you not get tired? There is an event that starts in Bristol and ends up in Exmouth where you cycle overnight. It is 100 miles and in August. I really don;t think I'll do it, but I am having little thoughts about it....  But how I would manage to stay awake and cycle to boot at around 4am is beyond me at the moment! How's it going now re the hip? I'm really hoping the bike remains to be ok.

Adbru - some very good biking miles there. Good on you. I have given up trying to fit in 3 of each things every week. I simply don't find the time. I only do a couple of swims, 3 bikes and running is a bit hit and miss altogether - <wibble>

Knee still dodgy. I'm scared to run on it incase I stuff it altogether! I will give it a little test soon though.

Colourin - did you do your time trial in the end?

I cannot believe that I started this thread last August! The time has gone by so very fast. It won't be long and Bala will be upon us....

Training has gone out of the window last week and also a bit this week too! Oh dear! My knee stopped me last week. This week I did swim yesterday - 2k, but this was all I could fit in as we travelled to Bath and back with teenage scoobs so she could check out the uni there again, so there was no more time left.

I rested on Monday as was tired from travelling and the Audax. Today I will bike, tomorrow is swim and x-bike session. After that - who knows!

Right must dash as today I'm off out on the bike for a midweek cycle. YEY!

P.S. My wetsuit is rather large on me now! It kind of unsticks and feels a bit weird! Maybe I could be inflated like the Mitchelin man and then I could bob my way along the top of the lake for Bala.....

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Hi Scoobs!

Doesn't really sound like your training has gone out of the window. It doesn't all have to be by the book, and a few days of a bit easier won't do any harm.

Hope your knee is OK. Be careful.

Scafell Pike was great.

We weren't familiar with the route, and accidentally followed a group of other walkers up a wrong turn and ended up taking in Great gable as well! Came down Great Gable via some hideous scree slope called (aptly) Little Hell Gate, and thus added at least another 2-2.5 hours to our walk - so we were out for around 7 hours in the end.

Slept very well on Sunday, but BOY do I have DOMS. It is 3 days later and I still can't manage the stairs properly!

The 3 peaks is supposed to be at the end of June. Doing Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon in 24 hours. I wasn't sure if my hip would be mended in time but I'm sure it'll be OK now - it felt fine after the 7 hour hike......which also makes me think I need to try another test run - it is SO much better now. The cycling is also all feeling fine too so onwards and upwards with that. Starting to actually feel a little fitter again too which is good.

Re the tiredness Scoobs - yes I get very tired, but it is part and parcel of my job. Yesterday I was on call again - at work from 8am until 1am. Back in this morning at 7:30. Didn't get phoned over night but slept dreadfully as I couldn't 'switch off'

Training: Mon - 2 mile swim

Tues - 2 mile swim

Wed   - ?? have missed swimming slot and legs still too mashed for much else!

• Not yet Scoobs, its this Sunday - yikes! But, I won some new cycling shoes on Ebay on Sunday and they came today! Carbon Specialized, 30 quid, brand new, bit of a bargain I think, can't wait to try them out!

My training has taken a back seat this week too, I'm moving house tomorrow so its been a mad, whirlwind week of packing! I'm knackered! Can't wait for T time tomorrow when its over and done with. Have to try new shoes out of Friday before the big day on Sunday! 

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

What distance is the time trial Colourin? How does it work? Good luck! (the go-faster shoes will make all the difference)

....and moving house - stressful indeed. Hope it all goes smoothly.

off for a swim shortly.

bringing the total for the year so far to > 140 miles

• Its 25 miles, and I'm not sure how it works. I've been a start time and I guess i just go get on with it! Dunno really, will let you know : )
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

Good luck Colourin. How long do you think it will take you?

• Morn all

Crikey K9 - out for 7 hours!! No wonder you slept well and had doms. Major <shudder> to scree descent - scary. So lots of travelling in between each Peak then? Driving in between? Lots of stretchy stretchies before you climb in each time - yes?

I can honestly say my legs were more mashed after the Saunders Mountain Marathon than after road marathons. Apart from London last year when I was prob on a par with Saunders as could hardly walk at all...

Well done with the swimming - 140 miles is simply incredible - much respect to you, I still detest swimming! Looking forward to getting into the open water more, I much prefer it.

Colourin - you all moved now? How fab re the shoes! And best of luck for this Sunday.

Training? Well I ended up doing 34 miles on the bike on Wednesday and then I went for a little run to test out the knee. I ran only 2 miles. It was ok, I could feel it but it was not painful and I forgot to put on the tubigrip. So today I will head out again for a proper run but will put tubigrip on this time! My body simply does not like running!

After my cycle I stopped off for a cup of tea which was rather nice as I got my bike washed at the same time. It is such hard work cycling you know....image I was terribly exhausted after....

See below:

Lazin in sunshine and watching someone else do the work!

Yesterday I swam 2k and timed it. I did it in 44.50 which is as fast as I could go. I don't think I'll go that fast for Bala as I'd be too knackered to get on the bike! After that I did the x-bike for 45 mins which was really hard as I was also hungry.

Today I shall run and then I'm off up to Southampton to visit my brother. So I'm taking my bike and cycling round the new forest, if Mr Scoobs can come up with a route as I am hopeless at that!

And GUESS what??? We went away last weekend as you know to do the Audax. And yesterday I discovered a BACARDI Breezer bottle on my display cabinet!!! See how good I am at housewrok? It took me until Thursday (from Sunday) to spot it!

Teenage Scoobs has obviously had a party. I wondered why the house was so very well hovered  and so very clean when we got back! Only she missed one of the bottles.. When I asked her about it, she just grinned and said - oops! And then when I asked her about all of the other bottles she looked very smug and said that they were very good and took them all to the recycling. But she might have taken ours too!!! My wine bottles are now spilling out of the outside bin and making their way down the steps! Harumph!

Wonder what she'll be up to this time?

Laters...

• 6 miles done. Knee not good. It is the down hills that agravate it. Now a bit swollen and I am fuming! Not sure what to do. Mr Scoobs says don't run until Bala!!! But I'm really not sure I'll get through the run if I don't so at least some running.

grrrrr, maybe i'll try off road. see if that helps....
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

Scoobs - leave the running for a bit or you may end up not able to do it at all.

You are doing such a lot of other great training I don't think you need to woory about your fitness.

Can you use the eliptical trainer as a running alternative for a couple of weeks? or just do extra cycling?

Love the photo by the way!

• k9 - thanks as I had completely forgotten about the elliptical trainer!! YEY! I'll do that for a ''max'' of 2 weeks then. Hopefully that will sort it. 2 weeks = EEEEEEK!

Right talk soon as off to Southampton. At least I can still cycle so I must remain grateful and not be so grumpy!

Take care all, happy training. image
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

imageOh - the 3 peaks...

Yes lots of driving.

Supposed to drive up to Ben Nevis. Set off up Ben Nevis at 5pm. Allow 5 hours for that.

Leave for Scafell Pike by 10pm. 7 hour drive to Seathwaites Farm.

Set off up Scafell Pike by 5am. Allow 5 hours for Scafell pike. (it took us less than that last weekend once we'd subtracted the detour up Great Gable).

Leave for Snowdon by 10am. 3 hour drive. Set off up Snowdon by 1pm. Allow 4 hours.

Complete by 5pm - 24 hours

Done

• Hi guys,

Scoobs - i hope the knee gets better, dont rush or you risk not getting to the start !!

K9 - good luck with the 3 peaks, if the weather is good you will get some fab views from the Ben image

Colourin - i hope the TT goes well, no way i'd enter one of those !!

Things have been a bit 'tense' at home recently, we have had a long talk and working shifts + around 16 hours studying + around 12 hours training werent helping.
    So I have decided to drop my hard training for this year.

I am still going to run for fun/fitness and may do a couple of 10k's or sprint tri's but there is no point pushing your limits to get to a finish line and find that your the only one there ...

I will still drop in here and shout at you if the training starts slacking image

Best of luck for Bala.....  (not long now !!  )

Adbru

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Hello Adbru - sorry to hear things have been difficult. Sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate right now. Training for something as big as Bala/ an IM/ a marathon means a HUGE time commitment and if your OH doesn't share the same passion I guess she will be feeling very excluded and resentful.

You can still enjoy your hobbies without them having to take over your life in the way that these long distance goals force them to. You are right to look at the shorter distances for the time being - just enjoy it all for what it is.

When will the extra studying be over with?

It sounds like you've done ben Nevis.....tell me more! It is somewhere I've wanted to climb for AGES. Have you doen Scafell Pike and Snowdon too? If so, how would you rate them each on a difficulty/ effort rating? I'm assuming BN will be toughest as it is the highest, but maybe not?

• Afternoon all.

Adbru - the very best of luck to you. I echo k9 sentiments. I have found training for Bala hard enough to fit in and do feel guilty quite often. I'm lucky as (after a lot of effort) convinced Mr Scoobs to do the relay so, as he is doing the bike leg, so he has to train too. Although he has only just started to get onboard really. Having said that I know that he would rather I did not train as much as I do. And I also know he hopes that my latest idea/goal will be the last one. So finding the balance can be quite difficult. Throw into the melting pot kids, work etc and it is quite hard. After Bala, running is going to take a back seat for me. I'm actually looking forward to finally letting go of it. But I know I want to cycle more and there are quite a few events that look good.

I think you have made the right decision based on where you are now. Best of luck to you.

Well I am posting from Southampton. I had a very - err - interesting cycle around the New Forest. Can't say I think much of it (sorry). I guess I am spoilt!

About 30 miles in, my front tyre blew out big time. I just about managed to stay on. I was shaking when I got off as it gave me quite a fright. Some flint had severed the tyre and punctured the inner tube. So I replaced the tube, but of course it was bulging from the split in the tyre.

Hence a very slow, careful bike at about 6mph, to the next town began. We then found a cafe and Mr Scoobs was going to cycle the 10 miles or so back to the car!

However, just as I had got over my disappointment at only doing 33 miles by then (and ordered myself a chicken mayo sarnie), he came back with a new tyre as had found a bike shop. image

So tyre replaced and on we went to do 44 miles overall.

Happy training!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Didn't realise you had Mr Scoobs roped in too....or if I did I had forgotten..what a perfect scam.

And hooray for the bike shop - so the New Forest isn't all bad then!

For me...

a 2 mile swim

and a 46 mile bike (yes, really) and boy was I tired....my body is so not used to this stuff any more. I feel absolutely fine now, but whilst cycling I was ready to stop by about 20...but I still had to get home, and the route was all planned!

Feeling very pleased with myself now of course.

BUT I have the most horrific 'crick' in my neck which made it all a bit difficult. Woke up with it and have been on brufen and paracetamol all day and getting regular massages. Grrr!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Oh, and on aVERY exciting note, I have done a 1.5 mile and a 2.4 mile run this week too, with only a bit of 'tightness' afterwards.

Onwards and upwards!!

• Hiya all.

K9 - brill brill brill! 46 miles on the bike and some running too. YEY! I am delighted. image

Have you ''thought'' about doing Bala afterall. There is still 9 weeks and you're already there with the bike and the swim. And let's face it you've done more successful running than me and I'm doing it! Just a little thought and totally selfish as it would be really lovely to meet you! image Not that I'd see much of you as you'd be off in a flash. But you could encourage me in whist having a cuppa with the likes of Hollywood et al..

I can understand if you wish to remain catious though due to your up-coming and exciting 3 peaks adventure.

Colourin - you should have done it by now... ? Now you get to eat LOADS of lovely easter eggs. image Do tell us how it went.

Yep an absolute planned scam on my part re Mr Scoobs. He he, it has worked a treat. He is now saying that he will most def beat my time on the bike. Nothing like a bit of healthy competition to keep him interested. Of course he won't have the swim or the run to do, but hey, a bit of banter never went amis. image And I will try my utmost to not allow him to beat me - of course!

Well a visit to the pictures yesterday eve followed by rather a large amount of wine. An early drive home and WOW what weather. So ditch the stuff and head to the beach it was. For a lovely long walk and then open water swimble - YEY! It was choppy so I felt as if on a rollercoaster at times, but it was safe and the tide was right. I swam for 30 mins. I had forgotten how lovely swimming in the open water is. Fabulous. image

I am a bit tired now, but have to live it up when I can so off out in a bit to party on down and see a band. Both of my kids are coming too. I have said it is ok if they cannot stand the pace of their parents and they have my permission to come home early. He hee. This may be a fun night if we all start bopping away - YEY! image

Quiet day planned tomorrow...

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Ha Ha - you party on gal!

How fab to be able to out like that with your kids.

And what a wonderful day for sea-swimming. I'm most envious.

Re Bala - sadly not this year for me....but possibly next year. I really really want to do an IM for my 40th (if my body will let me) so a Half IM next year will still be on track (38 at the mo)

If I commit to Bala I will just do too much too soon ....which I SO have that tendency to do. I need no encouragement.

I need a personal restrainer not a personal trainer.

I do notice that Vitruvian is 21 weeks away. though....I have a note in my diary next weekend marking the 20 weeks to go point. I'll keep it in the back of my mind for now. No point counting my chickens yet. This injury has been a total bu66er

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

and, yes, where is Colourin with the exciting time trial report?

and WHERE is Stellina? we've not seen her in ages. has she rowed away?