Could I really do it?

Comments

• 'lo peeps : )

Soz for the delay, had a mad busy, but fun training wknd! Did a 7.bit mile run up and down some nasty hills on Saturday, then the TT today! And really enjoyed it.

Bit daunting, with everyone else looking soooo much more professional than me, and at the start, I had a man holding my bike up so as I could be clipped in ready to go! It was like a ski slope start, top of a hill with a big bloke pushing me down hill! Inevitabely I was overtaken by loads of people, but most offering words of encouragement. And when you get to the u-turn, you then get to see loads of people who are behind you trying to catch up. It was then that I realised, I could have shaved a fare few minutes off my time had I started off on the big cog! DOH!

Still, great to be riding with loads of people who knew what they were doing, think I may have picked up a few hints and tips, oh, and loads more enthusiasm!

P.S. THe new shoes, pedals and cleats worked a treat, once I'd got my trusty brother-in-law to set them up properly for me! Off to bed bad, think my bod, deserves a good sleep! : )
  • <scoobs crawls in>

Hello all.

Today has been a - err - rest day. A rest day on all counts. Morning, consisted of a very bad hurty head and that attractive bloodshot bleary eyed look - NOT!  Luckily I did remember to take my contact lenses out which was a bonus.

Then came the ''I fancy something savoury and extremely unhealthy part - hence curry at 11.30 am - YUM! Then Mr Scoobs staggered downstairs at around 12, (he was in a worse state than me). And we both fell asleep on the couch with the fire on this afternoon!!

Was it worth it? BOY YES it was. Maybe not ''quite'' so much alcohol would not have been a bad thing though. But yesterday was the most brilliant day. The kids had such a good time too. It was such fun! I suspect we will no longer be able to get out to party on down alone from now on. We all went banana's and boogied our socks off until the end.

Colourin - well done on your first time trial. I understand they hurt!  I guess it is a bit like running a 5k (which I admit to avoiding) where you go ''pukey'' all out and then try and keep it going? Some very good training for you this weekend then. Hope the sleep was good. How fast did you manage to do it in? Do you think you'll do another one sometime? I'd like some new shoes and pedals. I want some white ones to match my handlebar tape - how sad is that? image

Dunno re Stellina K9, maybe she'll pop in again soon. I know she hasn't rowed off to Italy just yet as see her on Facebook. In fact she said my hurty head was down the the glasses in the pub not being washed properly. I'm sure she is right....image I wonder if she is doing much running now?

Right there you go then. Monday = BIG rest day. Back to it tomorrow.

• Evening : ) DOne another 12 mile bike today followed by a 3mile run, so a good wknds training: )

Scoobs, yeah it was a bit like that, although I had been warned to take it easy for the first couple of miles - save some for the end they said. Not easy to do when you just get fit bod after fit bod wizzing past you! I managed it in 1:29, could of been quicker had I been in the right gear to start with tho. But hey, every day is a school day! Looking forward to the next one now. But I have a sprint tri to deal with first : )
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

Well done Colourin....I think that's a darned fine time girlimage

How did they stagger the start? was it like a handicap race?

You sure are packing in the training anyway!

And Scoobs - sounds like last night was a blast - and today a timely rest by all accounts. Curry for breakfast thoughimageimage

For me just a swim before workimage, but so far it has been decidedly quiet. Still  another 13 hours to go until officially no longer on call. (and then the normal working day begins, ho hum)

Still, all this swimming has me at the top of the Fetch swimming league, which is hilarious, particularly as I seem to be simultaneously right at the bottom of the running one!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Say hello to Stellina for me then Scoobs!
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

Oh, and ps

Have you got any news about your poor cycling buddy who was in that awful accident?

• Great training sess on Saturday, Then big bike ride on Sunday and finally ended up on a hill in the Lakes yesterday (and a pint in the Kirkstone Inn)

Ankle seems to be bearing up OK

• Ok I am definitely in!   Had email confirming entry so I will be there too image
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Which hill Dave?
  • Caudale Moor, Only a little bump (but it is a Wainwright, So required a visit !)
  • Morning all

Colourin - wow 1.29 is a fab time. Well done gal. When is your sprint tri?

K9 - top of the swimming fetch league ey! You go girl. image I'm keeping an eye on the cycling league as seem to be slowly creeping upwards, but like you, as far as the running league goes - forget it! You must be off call now. What have you got planned for today then, after a big sleep perhaps?

We had an update on the guy I told you about at the beginning of April and he was still unconcious but out of intensive care. As far as I know nothing has changed, although he is repsonding physcially but not opening his eyes. It is likely he is going to be in hospital for a very long time. Very sad news.

Rio - fab stuff. Delighted you are in. I have had my email too. image

Dave - your training seems to be going very well. HOw far was your bike ride?

Right must dash.

Swim and elliptical trainer for me today I think.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Normal working day today Scoobs.

The on call is 'extra' unfortunately. Every 6-7 nights or so we cover from 5pm until 9am the next day. Usually at work until about 11pm then off home at the end of the phone. If it's a Sat/ Sun/ bank holiday the 'on call' includes the 9-5 bit too.

So - office time this morning (I'm clearly not working intensely as you can see), and in a moment I'm off to see my patients for the faternoon's operating list.

Sneaked a swim in this morning as work was quiet and a colleague agreed to cover for me whilst i was in the pool! may gym later - we'll see.

Enjoy your training all.

ps - you are WELL up there on the cycling league Scoobs - nice one.

Dave - not heard of that one. Are you 'collecting'  Wainwrights? It would be fun to have done them all.

• Caudale is the bump behind the Kirkstone Inn at the top of the Kirkstone Pass.

Sadly yes we are collecting all 214, Well over halfway there, Hoping to complete next summer, depending on trips etc... Spending the month in the Himalayas last year stoped us getting to the Lakes for months.. Got a week there in May so should "bag" a few then. Trying to decide which one to finish on.....

• Hi Guys,

Some good training in here again image

Well done on the TT !!!

K9,   To my shame I have never been up the Ben- even though I was born in its shadow and lived in FW for the first 20 years of my life image
    Although I have been fishing halfway up it !! lol. Got funny looks from the tourists as we were wlaking up to the halfway loch with our fishing rods !

Its a fairly long slog, you might be able to keep a slow jog until about halfway then its just follow the path. Make sure some-one with you knows the path because if the weather turns (which it can in a heartbeat !) vis will drop to zero and you do NOT want to get to get too close to the North face. 

Apart from that just enjoy it (then enter the big tri on 19th sept, the Ben is the run section !! )

keep the faith guys image

Adbru

(no training for 10 days and gained 3kilo's !! )

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Hello Adbru...

fishing on Ben Nevis!! Note taken of your warnings....

How funny that you lived in Fort William....I had a great uncle who was a GP there for many years, and before that was a single handed GP on Barra. Never been there yet myself.

The tri on Ben Nevis sounds hideous. Might give that one a miss. I assume there is some kind of very cold loch swim and a very hilly bike ride to go along with it?

How's the injury stakes then?

• K9 fyi

the BIG tri

You know you want to image

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

er

now let me think about that one

no

• Hi all

Adbru - eek!

K9 - re work - oh I see now!

Training - yesterday 2k swim followed by 65 mins on the elliptical trainer. Knee fine, so good news there. 12.92k done overall, Level 8 hills.

Today - 37.26 miles on the bike. A few cheeky hills thrown in for good measure. Managed to avoid the rain. It started 10 mins after I got in and then we had a bit of thunder too! Very lucky me. image

Lost Roly last night, so didn't feel like posting. Had to have him put to sleep as we simply ran out of options. Very sad but he couldn't eat in the end as his tumour in his mouth got so massive. They couldn't remove it for a third time as there was not enough spare tissue left. Anti inflams didn't work nor antibiotics. So no choice. So I is a bit wobbly at the mo.

Hope all are good.

• Scoobs - sorry about Roly, must be rotten feeling : (

K9 - I've been to Barra a couple of times scuba diving, Fantastic place!

No training for me today, poorly planned day left me with a 12hr shift and completely knackered.

Hoping to get a decent run in tomoz am tho, not in work till ten, so weather permitting - and yes, I am a lightweight when it comes to getting out of bed if the weather is poo! : )
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

((((Scoobs))))) - so sorry about Roly - you must feel very lost without him. Sounds like it was the right thing to do though. What a shame.

Pleased for you about the knee though. Good news.

Colourin - scuba diving on Barra? Sounds fun. Is the diving good there?! I've still not been, but I want to. I got to Lewis and Harris last year to run the Stornoway half marathon, and would have liked to travel down all of the Western isles but didn't have enough time. I might cycle it one day, getting the ferry between Islands. they call it hop-scotching apparently.

• Morning Peeps

Off to Islay and Mull this year, Never been to Islay before, But competed on Mull many times

• K9 - that sounds like a fab holiday, I'll join you : )

Got a lovely 6 mile run in this morning, I'm loving this imitation summer we're having - light, dry mornings = lots of training : )
  • Eve all

Training today

Am - 5 mile run
    PM - 2k swim and x-bike session

Rest tomorrow as off to Falmouth - not much spare time
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

I've heard Mull is beautiful Dave - what have you competed in there? The half marathon there is highly spoken of.

Good training Colourin and Scoobs. After all that you did yesterday Scoobs you'll need a rest day.

Did nothing yesterday myself. Missed my morning swim as on call again, and then overcome with tiredness/ CBA after work, so ended up not doing anything then either. TV and food it was.

Will swim this morning though, and will get a bit of cycling in over the weekend.

Happy training all.

• Sadly never done much running on Mull, I take part in the Tour of Mull Car Rally, The first closed road tarmac rally in the UK

Tour of Mull and it's sponsored bt Tunnocks !!

• Hi all

K9 & Colourin thanks.

K9 - I suspect you knew how much he meant to me as I think you also posted on the DTT when I ran off road with him lots.

Keep busy busy. Hence yesterdays antics. But actually don't feel too tired at all. Maybe I am getting fitter. I suspect it is also the weight loss though! Now down to 148lbs. Would like to shift maybe 4lbs more, but not too concerned if I don't as pretty happy with my weight now (as long as I don't put any back on of course!)

Happy training all.

Long bike for me tomorrow.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Scoobs - I know just how much he meant to you. Poor old Roly. Hope you are OK. Our pets are integral members of the family.

Dave - anything sponsored by Tunnocks must be goodimage

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Training:

(it does feel good to ba able to call it training again)

swim - 3.5k

cycle - 46 miles.

Same bike route as last week, but didn't feel as though I was ready to drop from 20 miles this week. Bit faster than last time too so maybe I'm getting a tiny bit better?! Still slow thoughimage

Liking this cycle lark.

• Well done K9!

Training for me

62.12 miles on the bike. Was tough today prob due to lack of sleep, a cold and not having been out with them for a couple of weeks. All done and happy with it. Tired now and need to try and get a kip in.

K9 - Stellina says hi, she got chased by a rather nasty dog the other day when out running and ended up in the brambles trying to get away from it! So I suspect she has a few nasty scratches on her legs now. She said she'll pop in soon.

• Yuk, I feel awful. Sore throat, sore head, aching and freezing cold despite it being beautiful weather. Hence nothing today. Was going to swim in the sea - I love swimming in the sea - WAIL! I am so frustrated at missing it. Still not sleeping which is prob why I've picked up this virus thing. Hopefully it will pass asap as I am such a nightmare when not well. I have no patience whatsoever. And back to work tomorrow -  image