Options

Could I really do it?

Comments

• Options

Hi all

Colourin - well done you! Many congrats on your new half pb. image

Training for me - I took a rest day on bank hol Monday as my kids decided to take me out after the band finished so I found myself in this place that had this revolving dance floor. Great fun, but oh dear - I cannot do late nights!

Tuesday - ran 5 1/2 miles
    Wednesday - did 22 miles on the stationary bike - it never gets easier - I was hanging by the end. Then onto tready - 5k done as a brick session

Today - 2k swim after work and then straight to x-bike session.

Friday - prob rest
    Sat - long bike

Saturday afternoon I'm away to Newquay for a stay in a hortel to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversay that was on 5th May, so Sunday - open water swim if I can get past the waves.

I'll have to miss my long run so aim to do that Monday.

Phew - exam season starting too so need to not drink too much wine and make sure I get to bed early - like that's going to happen - hehehe

• Options
    25 years scoobs? what an achievement, well done! : ) I only managed 18 months! lol!

Just been for my first open water swim of the year..........much fun! Warmer in the water than out! Can't wait for next week.
  • Options

managed 23 years married before I did a runner !

Didn't make it to Salford in the end last night, But managed 90 minutes on the cross trainer watching the test match

Weekend walking in Keswick so a couple of hills to stretch my legs on

• Options

Hello hello!

25 years? Something like this:

Prior to the day. Mr scoobs looks at me and I look at Mr Scoobs. I say, ''have you bought me a card?'' He says, ;"nope''. I say, "good cause that means I don't have to buy you one either''. image hehehe

On the day - Mr Scoobs looks at me and I look at Mr Scoobs. We both say - ''Good grief how on earth have I put up with you for all these years??". hehehe

This weekend? I go cycling and am late. I call Mr Scoobs as am in doghouse. He comes to collect me. I then stick head out of window and hollar at all of my mates still cycling as we whizz by - hehehe. We go to Headland and - have a lovely time - awwwwwwww!

Training?

Oh that! 47 odd miles on the bike , would have been more but I would have been in very deep poo!
    Open water swim in Plymouth as Fistral way too massive waves for me to get through, so swam in underwater jungle instead and nearly stood on massive starfish on the way in - WHAAAAAHH!

Tomorrow I am attempting to run 9-10 miles - EEEEK!

• Options
    Evenind all : )

Managed the TT on Sunday - It was a long way going flat out in the wind - weather not me! Really got into the aero bar position - fnar fnar, its so much comfier than the drop bars! But I think, no I know, I need much more practice at getting my cadence right. You should of seen the speed some folk were spinning at! Nice eye candy for the laydies tho! Maybe thats why I was so slow - too busy gawking at the blokes! So I'm off to search out some local, maybe slightly smaller races to practice on. byeee : )
  • Options

Hi all

Colourin - you go gal! I've not got the aero whatsits! Well done and totally agree re having a nice long looook. image

Yesterday - I ran just over 9 miles - very happy with that although did struggle a bit as it was blowing a right gale so felt like I was running in treacle - lol!

Not sure re today - maybe get out on the bike....

• Options
    Jinxed ride!

1st - puncture just as about to leave.
    2nd - put on wrong inner tube (hybrid instead of road bike) - oops
    3rd - managed to get right inner tube fitted (done by Mr scoobs) I won't take credit where it is not due!
    4th - left way later than planned so realised would have to cut ride short - no lights.
    5th - it started to rain
    6th - steep hill and Mr Scoobs chain came off
    7th - Mr scoobs tried to get going again but trying to start pedalling on a 20% hill is very difficult
    8th - Mr Scoobs came off due to point 7 above

Just over 17 miles done - dear oh dear! What a ride. Poor Mr Scoobs has a grazed arm and a nasty grazed hip.
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

SCOOBS

hello

where are you?

The thread has fallen off the front page.

What a frustrating cycle you had!

But a great runimage

Hope training all good.

Tell us what you've been up to...

I'm off to Keswick today too Dave - will do a walk, but only a 'gentle' one I think, as not with usual driven hill walking buddy, then going to some talks in the evening by James Cracknell and someone else - can't remember who - friend bought tickets ages ago.

Well, still swimming like a demon - over 200 miles now for the year!!

Have done 2 'runs' this week too of 3.25 and 4 miles without any real badnessimageimageimage

and 2 pitifully small 8 mile bike rides. Must do more but just can't muster enthusiasm for long bike rides after work.

• Options
    Blumin eck K9, 6.35? your keen on a Saturday! : )

Training well this week, 3 speed sessions, 1 open water swim, 1 pool training later today and a half marathon tomorrow : ) : )
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Colourin - Ha ha - yes, I get up pretty early - to beat the masses to the pool

Oh, the life of an injured lass!

Well - good day yesterday

Swam first thing, then drove to Keswick with friend.

Watched the finish of the Keswick Tri - first tri I've seen so quite interesting. It's a 750m swim in Derwent water - which looked mighty COLD, then a 22 mile or so Cycle, then a 6m run - over a hill - which we walked and shuddered at the though of running - especially as it was raining and seriously muddy and rocky.

Went to the talks in the evening.

Mike Stroud first and then James Cracknell. Absolutley fantastic!! 

My friend stayed over in Keswick overnight whilst I came home - and what a hideous journey it was. I really do have a hopeless sense of direction, and by the end it was 10:30 at night and dark. Got lost trying to find the car - which took an extra 30 mins, then got lost coming out of Keswick and finally after randomly driving about ended up on a tiny unlit  back road to Carlisle. Eventually got into Carlisle where I again got confused and got lost. Finally made it out onto the road home. Over 100 miles of driving in the dark (not sure what it should have been) and a late nightimage

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Good luck in the HM Colourin - which one is it this time?

You are turning into half marathon Gal

• Options

You should have said hello K9.. I was at the Tri all morning, in my Chester Tri Fleece.

We did the Obree and Beaumont lectures on Thursday night, as well as the Black Tie dinner on Latrigg on Wednesday night.

Last years Keswick Tri I was bolloxed by the time I got to Ashness Bridge, But I enjoyed the descent off the mountain, Had a bit of a disaster as I got pushed off the bike on the first hill out of Keswicj and never really got going after that.

• Options
    Helloooo : )

I is one very happy cookie! K9 - it was Chester half,, and even in the pouring rain, I battered my PB, knocked 10 mins off and got sub 2 hours!! Alot of that is due to my friend who was determined not to let me slow down - at some points he was not my favourite friend! But bless him, he stuck with me when he could of gone soooo much faster. : )

But hey - 1:57:18!!!!!!!! Me so happy : ) : )
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Go girl Colourin - you are making so much progressimage - well deserved!

Dave - i'm very tempted to do it next year. What about you?

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Especially if I get the excuse to go back to the mountain festival again (I shamefully had not even heard of it before this year)

What were your talks like?

• Options

KMF Website

Mark Beaumont was brilliant, Spent ages chatting afterwards

Not decided about next years Keswick Tri, Depends on what I decide to do with respect to IMUK

We have been up there most of the week, We have a cottage less than 3 minutes walk from the theatre.... and arranged all our gas servicing and such like for the festival week, so we had an excuse to be there

• Options

Hi guys

Not got internet at home at the moment as pc has had a nasty virus. we're not quite there yet, hope to be back soon.

Quick training update from last week on.

wednesday  - ran just over 5 miles at a fairly quick pace for me, really enjoyed this run
    Thursday - swam 2k and did x-bike session
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 47 odd miles on the bike. The wind was terrible, I felt like I'd done 60 by the time I got home. At one point I was literally riding diagonally in order to stay on. Scarey gusts blew me across the road and we won't discuss the headwind....
    Sunday - ran 10 miles. Ate something dodgy the night before, had awful stomach probs and had to dash 3 times! Dear oh dear. Awful time was had. Still I didn't can it and stuck to my plan.
    Yesterday - rest
    Today - Run - not sure how far yet as running home from work so depends which route I take.
    Tomorrow - bike
    Thursday - swim and x-bike
    Friday - dunno, may be open water swim and ack to saturday for a long bike
    sunday - running Plymouth Half - now how did that happen???? image

Hopefully all well. back soon.

• Options

Oh another quick post - sorry. I am back on line - hoorah! But struck for time - boo hoo!

7.04 miles run this eve from work to home. image

Will catch up with you all tomorrow lunch time. Hope you are all good and that k9 has not turned into a fish and Colourin is doing good and Dave is enjoying his mountains still. image

• Options

I'll never tire of the mountains.....

Retirement plans feature Keswick firmly in the centre..

• Options

Hi all

K9 - well done on the runs. How's it going just now. And wow to the talks. What did they discuss exactly?

Colourin - You've been doing some great training. When you say speed sessions do you mean running or bike? well done on your new half pb! Brilliant. You must be delighted. image

Dave - sounds idyllic to me. The lakes are so beautiful. Awesome.

Training - I cannot remember where I am on here. Finally have the internet back properly at home now. It has been hit and miss for a while as we had a few problems after the bug removal.

I ran on Tuesday, biked on Wednesday and last night I swam 2k. I canned my x-bike session though as was simply knacked and as I have a long bike tomorrow followed by a half marathon on Sunday didn't think too much about not doing it. Instead I went home had dinner and ate LOADS of choccie!

Currently into family sized bars of Fruit and Nut and Cadbury's Caramel - yummy!

Currently weigh 145lbs. When I started this I was 162lbs (I think).

So if nothing comes of Bala it's been a flippen good diet!!

• Options
    Scoobs - running, bit of the old Fartlek, if thats what you call it : ) seems to be paying off!

Hoping to get some decent bike training in this wknd, have men in the house doing all manner of building work, mess, generally, so need to keep out of the way!

Ooh, and did the Bala swim distance in open water last night - very pleased with myself I am!
  • Options
    Good going on the diet Scoobs, even when eating massive bars of chocolate you manage to lose some weight!
  • Options

Morning! Colourin - I need to stop eating massive bars of choccy or I shall put it all back on again!

Wow what fabulous weather and WOW how am I going to absolutely frazzle in the heat tomorrow for my half. Not done this distance since last April, so over a year now. Oh dear! Anyway I'll survive but it may not be a pretty sight!

MUST behave on the bike today and keep speed down and do shorter distance. Thing is I suspect there is another YOGi epic ride about to occur and it is going to be very hard not to do it too! But I cannot as I won't be able to run tomorrow if I do.

<scoobs wanders off muttering mantra ''must behave, must behave''>

• Options
    Well I behaved - sort of. I only did 42 miles so that is good. I did do a couple of long climbs as it was so beautiful out there I simply could not resist because I knew the views when at the top would be breath taking. And indeed they were. I took them easy though and just trundled them. But I did have a bit of a blast back into plymouth. One has to have some fun. And I practiced going into the aero position on the bike for the fist time on the downhills. WHEEEEEEEEEEEE! Getting a bit better at downhill now. Less scared anyway! Lovely lovely bike today.

Did I mention I love the bike?

Plymouth half tomorrow.......
  • Options

Hey Scoobs, Good luck for tomorrow !!

Had a very quick read back, sounds like you are all doing well image

Still on my sabbatical, no training of any kind for a month... !!
    Waistline is increasing as is my apathy, need toenter a race for the end of the year to get some focus lol.

Take care everyone

Adbru

• Options
    Scoobs - half marathon? how'd it go? where's our race report? : ) YOu had lovely weather for it, hope you kept hydrated tho.
  • Options

HI all

Yes Colourin - it was very hot indeed yesterday. Not a cloud in sight, bright blue sky and full on sunshine. Fabulous for spectating.

I went up to the start in my club vest and was warm as toast. I already knew it was going to be a hot one so I made sure I was well hydrated.

For me this wasn't about racing anyway. This was about finding out how I'd get on over a half distance with a bit of a bike in my legs from the day before. I knew I could do 8 1/2 miles after an 83 mile bike on the previous day, but what about a half marathon after a 42 bike? Less bike more run?

I had thought of cycling to the start, but there wouldn't have been much benefit as Plymouth half is a big event and by the time I'd stashed the bike somewhere, got to the start and the right pen the bike would have been out of my legs anyway. Plus it is only 2 1/2 miles away from my house.

I headed for the 2 hour start and discovered a group of club members already in the pens. As there were crash barriers all along, they decided to lift me over! image That was fun!

Anyway, the race itself? Well as I say it was very hot indeed. I decided to not take my garmin, I wanted to eliminate any pressure to race and that garmin always gets me checking and pushing a bit harder. As I say that was not my aim.

So I ran to how I felt and as a result I felt absolutely fine for the whole thing. I had a great time. I chatted to people as we went, I didn't struggle on any of the hills. I didn't have any moments when I felt bad or like I wanted to walk. I waved at friends and at the firemen. image And I did a little sprint at the end too.

Some people may say what is the point in taking part if you're not going to race it? The whole point for me was to gain back some confidence in my running. See how I would do over this distance in order to obtain a better idea of where I am. 

So where am I? Well according to my watch I did it in 2:05. That is the slowest half mara time ever. However, I'm very happy with it which may sound bizarre. As far as I'm concerned, I had more in the tank at the end, I bounced my way around and had a very nice time, I now know I can run in very hot conditions and I can bike fairly hard the day before.

I feel much more confident about getting round Bala now. I think the run will not be as awful as I had thought it might be.

So a very good day was had.

An in the evening? I partied and had an absolute ball!

Going to get some open water swims in this week as a priority. Try for one more long run before Bala and bike bike bike. image

• Options
    Good going Scoobs, sounds like your really on form for Bala! : )

I however ( plays for sympathy ) am full of a cold! : ( have no energy, a very runny nose and sore throat - not great for training with. Feeling very sorry for myself. Was training really well and now its 2 steps back again! Grrrrrrr...........

Hope to be well enough for this weeks OW swim, but my Mum would probly tell me off!
  • Options

((Colourin)) How are you feeling today? I had a stonker a while back so can empathise how awful you are feeling. Be careful so that you can get well again asap - yes? My daugher has had the most awful D & V bug. What's worse is that it all came on when we were supposed to be celebrating her 18th birthday.

All the relatives came down, we had 20 people, had organised a carvery and a BBQ later on. She did the carvery ok, but was then really really ill for the rest of the day. It was such a shame. I spent the afternoon up in her room with her - poor thing. She's mainly over it now, but boy was it a nasty one.

Bedding all changed, clothes washed etc etc. Awful.

Training today - swim and run. Run will be gentle today. Carefully we go. image