Friday 29th Aug 2008

Morning all,

Sporta - one shop worth visiting in Sandton City has to be the outdoor sports place, other than that I agree!

What: even more paddling then 8 mile hilly run
Why: running day and last day on hols
Last hard: yesterday

Have a great day

Comments

• Ello everyone..

What: 60 minutes easy (5.5 - 6.0 miles)
    Why: Taking it easy on the recovery-from-illness trail
    Last Hard: Err... Sometime over 10 days ago?

LSR tomorrow everyone! The weather's supposed to be nice.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all

TR the entire point is I am marshalling near the start so it is a chance for revenge on all the people who may have marshalled and told me I was "nearly there" etc when I still have 22 miles to go :¬)

What: REST DAY oh yeah
    Why: cutback week and a 50km tomorrow morning
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: today and only 21 days since the last one.
  • Morning

27 degrees C today.

Trini - I will have to check it out!

Gobi - one more for Abingdon 'It's all downhill from here!'

What: Rest
    Why: Friday
    Last hard: Wednesday

12.5 miles tomorrow and a 10k race on Sunday.

Enjoy the weekend.
  • Morning all,

I'm starting to feel well enough to think about running again.  Not to actually do any running, but at least to think about it.  Possibly tomorrow?  RHR is still up a bit today, but the antibiotics are definitely doing the job.

Have a great day!

• Morning all.

Colleague's last day at work today, so lunch time visit to the pub beckons.  Also out this evening for more alcohol, but will fit in run between both sessions somehow.

AF
    I've been away from the forum too much - could you update me about Eric?  I've caught on about a scan & good wishes from forumites, but the start of the story is a mystery to me...

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Thanks for all the welcomes y'day image

clink - good to hear there seems to be some progression. Very impressive with the pool running too.

AF - not sure what the check-up is for, but good luck for Monday.

Scooby - I tend to avoid group runs for just that reason tbh.

MikeS - it would appear so image

What: 6m steady am d&d
    7-8m lunchtime (incl 3m w Mrs TT)
    6m pm incl some PMP work
    Why: AM was supposed to be 12 with 10 @ PMP until stomach problems intervened, other than that normal Friday.
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: last Saturday.
    Lyrics: no

Have a good day all.
  • Morning all,

what: 8 miles General Aerobic Running
    Why: Few Extra Miles
    Last Hard: Yesterday - see below
    Last Rest: Tues

Lyrics: They do sound famillier

Yesterdays 15 miler run was a shocker. Started well but by 8 miles my tummy was starting to complain so bad that I had to stop and clench my way to 9 miles where there is a tescos with a loo. Felt better after but it must have taken a lot out of me as was dead on my feet by 15 miles. Didn't help either that I'd miss-judged the route and was 1.5 miles from home when 15 came along. So walked home feeling sorry for myself. I think that the mile long hill early in the route had something to answer for. Bad route choice and basically, all round,  one to forget.

Oh well, at least it's miles in the legs.

AF - Yes I'm curious to hear about Eric too... nothing to do with 29 Acacia Road then?

Got to dash. Happy day's y'all!

• morning

the week seems to have flown by with the bank holiday, weekend upon us again so soon.

interesting stuff on nerves, tingling, numness of feet and hands. another one who's had problems here.
    still get dead feet on bike and rotex trainer but used to have severe reynaud's type things with both hands and feet, very distressing and had to wear gloves most of the time, including indoors.
    about a 95% improvement when i stopped taking the pill and within a couple of weeks of doing so, quite remarkable.
    there is a thing you can do which apparently was used in the us army which i tried with limited success but they say you may need to do it a few times before you notice it helping -
    sit outside on a cold day in your underwear (i sat by the back garden door) but with your hands and feet fully emersed in buckets of water as hot as you can bear. keep topping up with boiling water ( you will need an assistant  to do this who will also change music/turn the pages of your book and feed you) and stick it out as long as you can, i think i did an hour or so.
    the science of it i can't remember precisely but it's to do with tricking your central nervous system (or parasympathetic ? can't remember) into not shutting down the circulation in your extremeties when you start to feel cold. i'll need to google to be more scientific on it. worth a try anyway.
    some people use beta blockers, more commonly used to treat high blood pressure, but they have unwanted side effects. especially if you're a man

after all that blather i can't remember what else i wanted to say so all the best to this weekend's racers!

pyramid session today - 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1  min efforts off 1 min easy each time

• Morning folks.

Blimey...sitting outside in your underwear could have very different implications/ramifications depending where you're from!!! I also suffer from very cold hands, wearing gloves when no-one else I'm with needs to bother. Never gets too extreme though, so any Raynauds-type symptoms I might get seem pretty minor. Not enough to make me venture outside in my boxers in January though!

For today...

What: 6 or 7 easy miles at lunchtime
    Why: legs a wee bit heavy after last night's circuits, so a bit of recovery

Have a great day. 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Not a scooby with the lyric today..
    FIN - yikes with yesterdays long run. Yes I've done NF before , about 3 or 4 years ago in about 3.35 if I remember rightly. I'd take that time now. That said this is just part of the long haul towards a spring marathon and as I mentioned training has been sporadic at best so I'm not expecting fireworks.
    There is a 2 mile stretch offroad but its decent tracks so road shoes are OK. That gravel/compact trail stuff that may get a little sticky if its overly wet but nothing to worry much about. As for hills, unless you live in Holland there is nothing you wouldn't encounter on a regular run route, with the caveat that there is a shortish and steep hill towards the end. Remember it more as an inconvenience than a struggle but my memory ain't what it was....

Training : yesterday didn't get out - short staffed here so barely got away from the desk from 6:30-5:30 and was pooped when I got in (Plus had OU TMA to try and get done before the w/e)
    Hoping to get 5 or 6 easy miles in later if I can bunk off earlyish, but am planning 17 miles tomorrow so we'll see...

Super weekends all

•  Dustin - legally you are entitled to a lunch break.  Breaking the law isn't cleverimage

what : planned 20m stopped after 1/2m due to PF causing me to run pigeon toed and hurting my knee.  Doing glycogen sucking fat burning turbo as my lovely assistant types this.

why : I never get injured me, I only have conditionsimage

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

agreed BR, but its called flexibility and as long as I take more than I give I'm happy image
    Struggle this week but when we have a full crew I usually take 90 mins for lunch (well I go 10:30-12:00)to get to the gym/run/get back and /or bunk off early to make the club night...

Joking aside you're quite right but then not all jobs are run on a strict timetable....

Hope your 'condition' is not too serious....

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning all. Haven't posted much of late as it's all been pretty downbeat and self obsessive - that's the effect of long term injury. The other unpleasant outcome is that whereas I would normally take pleasure in the success of others, injury makes me mean spirited and envious - totally irrational, it's not you lot's fault that I'm injured!

However a few hopeful glimmers have made me a little less downbeat, albeit still self obsessive. The hip flexor problems seemed to have cleared and I no longer feel that I'm just one hard run away from career ending injury! Though realistically my cartilege problem will eventually "do for me", despite my best efforts with strengthening and glucosamine. Incidently, Trini, I did pick up on your glucosamine comments. The lack of any conclusive clinical trials and reliance on anecdotal evidence doesn't make for a compelling case, but there are no known side effects and the cost is only 45p per day. On that basis I'm dosing myself more in hope than expectation. The key is the strengthening work on the muscles that support the knee.

Over the past seven days I've run 45 miles and the pace is gradually picking up, although the above mentioned strength work is leaving me a bit heavy legged.

MikeS, its good to see you injury free and posting good training times again - last week I was envious, this week I'm inspired.

AF, you seem to be back on the comeback trail - you're another source of inspiration. Also your postings contain a wonderful combination of steely determination and grim fatalism - right up my street.

Scobos - great race performances and strong training, and not a reported race chunder for months. Something worthwhile in the Autumn?

FINgers - the occupant of Acasia Avenue was a comedy genius - especially the toe in the bath tap.

Scoobs and Sharkey - wonderful postings, always a joy to read.

Hilly - best of luck n the 10m PB attempt on Sunday. Sub 64m ?
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR, just read your post. Didn't realise that you were a PF sufferer. Is it serious or will it yield to a bit of TLC.

Your condition comment strikes a chord, though I'm unable to take anyone seriously unless they have at least a fullblown syndrome image
  • Tom - thanks. Good to hear you're having another upbeat moment.

As for my Autumn targets? Well, after deciding against an Autumn marathon, my targets were always a sub 75 HM at Glasgow (next weekend) and a sub 34 10k at Inverness (in early October). Seeing as I've managed to bag both these in recent weeks elsewhere, I'm just looking to hopefully consolidate at these races and establish myself as a 33.xx / 74.xx runner. If anything quicker than my recent PBs comes along, then great.

After these races are done and dusted, it's a bit of less structured training and some 'down time' before a return to base training in November/December.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    SCOBOS

73.xx GLASGOW

Nuff said
  • Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭

Very impressive times Scobos - I hadn't realised you'd hit such a vein of form. Mind you, it's all there in the training. I'll be happy to duck under 80 mins next Sunday.

Today - easy 10K jog into work, rendered slightly more challenging by a poor night's sleep courtesy of baby daughter cutting a new tooth. She's been really good of late so I'll roll with it.

Have a good weekend, especially anyone who's racing.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Tom - good to see you back....
  • Tom - it's something I've had since January.  The more or the harder I run, the worse it feels.  I've kept on top of it through stretching, massage and very occasional anti-inflammatory use.  I think it's something I'm going to have to learn to live with now.  As I tried to run this morning I commented that I would end up running in a crab-like shuffle when I got older and a certain V60 friend of ours was mentionedimage

Dustin - I'm reassured that you aren't being exploited by the capitalist machine (well any more than the rest of us...)

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    BR, your crab scuttle remark remnds me of the time that two of the thread's finest hobbled across the carpark of a Barnsley curry house. Some advert for the benefits of high mileage, that was!
  • Gobi...you put across such a compelling and convincing case.  image)  I'm convinced...but I reserve the right to throw up on your back, alter my decision there and then, and go back and run with Virgil if it gets ultra-messy (no disrespect to Virgil, but you know what I mean!!!).

Virgil - cheers. Just need it to last a few weeks more! Especially if Gobi's going to drag me round the streets of our city and through the parks I train in every week...

Oh, a pleasant enough 6.6 miles done at lunchtime in 49mins. And indeed it did confirm that my legs are heavy from circuits last night. Should be much improved tomorrow.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Scobos

NICE :~)

See you soon
  • Afternoon all,

clink:  the thought of you sitting outside on a cold day in your underwear with your hands and feet fully emersed in buckets of water seems to have lifted any trace of tractor induced existential angst image

BR:  Be careful, cycling tended to make my PF worse.

Tom:  Glad things are looking up.  I'm mean spirited and envious regardless of whether I've got a fullblown condition or not. 

A brief history of Eric for newbies and absentees:
    About 2.5 weeks before FLM, I had to bin a run due to bad shin pain.  It never improved and I ended up missing FLM and having six weeks of physio for a "calf strain" which had no effect whatsoever.  I finally managed to get the physio to refer me back to the Dr, and a bone scan revealed a tibial stress fracture, whom I christened "Eric" ( No releation to Bananaman ) .  After another 6 runningless weeks the Dr pronounced I'd made a "good, functional recovery", but wouldn't commit to my resuming running ( but I did anyway )  and recommended another scan in 5 weeks - which was yesterday.  So it's back to the Dr for the results on Monday when he'll hopefully give me the green light and Eric will be gone for good. 

Nice report from Mara Yamauchi

• What: 6m 
    • Why:  grim fatalism
    • Last Hard:  N/A
    • Last Rest:  37 days

Have a good one! 

• Morning all (still is here) from a warm and humid Virginia,

some entertaining banter today!

Clink, I hope you have a high hedge!

What: 90 mins steady turbo d&d, creating a huge pool of sweat under the bike due to aforesaid humidity; swim later if I can get to a pool.
    Why: schedule - racing next weekend
    Last hard: a while
    Last rest: 19 Aug

I had a lovely surprising run yesterday - set off for an easy 75 mins, delighted in running in the rain, and came home with an average pace of 8.57. I did work a bit for the last two miles but still, it felt lovely and easy most of the time.

Good runnings all.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    AF, hoping for the best mate

Mara link is a good read

NICE
  • Strange air of apathy around my sprint group last night. All clad in trackie bottoms, hoodies, gloves etc for the warm up. It's August FFS! Ok, I lie about the gloves, but still...

Walk lap and jog lap both completed in near silence, which is very unusual. I went through my twenty minutes worth of drills, as I always do but don't always mention. Then strides.

Session for the group was 400 - 300 - 200 -100 or something like that. Blocks and starts for me so I just did a 250 and 150 to loosen up. 250 was surprisingly alright. Goodish even. Have I mentioned how much I loathe and fear anything over 200 metres?

Sprinting is not a step out of the door and you're off sort of hobby. Last night as well as carting a leg-banging 6.5kg bag of blocks across town I also managed to have three changes of shoes: racing flats for warm up and drills, middle distance spikes for the two longer sprints and then sprint spikes to practice my starts.

I'm still improving with the blocks, but have not been confident enough to use them in a race this year. My plan is to be ready and happy with them by the Indoors - which for me will be around the end of Jan and Feb. I know I absolutely need a decent, explosive blocks start to get a really good 60m time. First attempt ever at this distance was earlier this year and ok, but disappointing as I know I can go under 10 seconds.

Main comments from P. yesterday were that I should concentrate on correcting/perfecting one little detail at once. A great start isn't picked up in a season - especially not by a novice V55. My 'set' position is great, I'm very flexible and have ace core stability (trumpet blowing ahoy) so no problems with balance or getting into a useful shape for the b of bang. So what's lacking? Oh surprise, surprise - confidence and power.

Power is work in progress, and P. has promised me more harness sessions and the like through the winter. I've promised to carry on with my step lunging - and hopping and jumping and skipping.

Confidence has been work in progress all my life. The specifics in this case involve moving my hands off the ground before I push my feet away from the blocks. We are talking about a tiny time delay - but fractions of a second are all important here. It's totally subconscious but lurking somewhere has to be an element of fear that I will fall over.

So a succession of "do this'', ''move that," "better!" and finally, "Good! Slight stumble on that one - but that's because you got it right..."

I will get there.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice one Sharkie

What are your winter training plans ?
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Sharkie - great post, especially the bit about moving your hands before driving off.

AF - I didn't realise Eric was a stress fracture, I thought your problems were PF based. Anyway all the best for Monday
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Sharkie - Agree great post

AF - Thanks for the link, very interesting

What: Serpies 5km
    Why: Last Friday of the Month
    Last Hard: Today

I had already decided i wasn't going to race this at full throttle, let it be a social race if such a thing exists this week has been an easy week, but can it really with 2 5km races within 5 days of each other since monday have run everyday but longest run has been 5km and will follow suit tomorrow and Sunday. Before starting winter training on monday really feel like a kid going back to school going into a different class with a different teach, its all exciting. Anyway back to today

5:06 148HR avg
    5:19 160
    5:19 166
    5:26 168
    5:11 169

26:22 finish time over a minute down on normal but will get back to normality soon

not entirely convinced my max is my max so not posting %s

• Hi guys,

What - Rest

Why - Addaption (knackered)

Scobos - I agree with Gobi, if you can run 33 for 10K I reckon you can do a 72/73 half

BR - Look after that foot, want to see you toe the line at Chippenham

Run Stong!