2009 Albert Bartlett Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• He folks and welcome!

Beanie - this time last year I hadn't run further than 10k.... in fact I didn't run further than 10k until mid January and managed (just) a sub4 so just don't push yourself too hard too quickly, relax on the LSRs so they're not a chore and you'll be fab image

Ooooo...... Amber I'm chasing you this year..... I'll have base training more than last time and the track once maybe twice a week so hopefully a bit faster image Can only improve on the last mile an a bit that felt like I was glued to the floor while loads of people passed me!

ooooo

I'm not excited .... honest image
  • I'm in (again)! image Completed in 2007 but had to withdraw this year due to injuryimage, so more determined than ever to get round again.  Looking forward to contributing to the thread over the coming months and using it to give and receive as much encouragement and support as possible given the inevitable ups and downs to come. 

I'm looking to get under 4 hours for the first time, and aiming, somewhat hopefully, for 3:45.

Can we do it?  YES WE CAN!!! 

• Hiya nutters! I'm in (the bar LOL).........
  • I'm in!!! Still chasing an emusive 4 hours. Surely this time. Anyone know of a good training plan?

It's good to be back having done 2007 and given it a miss last year.

• Hi all- isnt it great to see familiar names again- just takes me back - to last year- and the 1 before!!
    Its not that i dont want to run it but i might have something else to do that weekend- but then he might just have to sort himself out eh?
    OK off to knockhill today for sons 18th pressie- skid pan for 2 hours!

Marathon for me on Sunday- fingers crossed for a sub 3-30. 3rd time lucky with this time in mind. Note to self: no 'comfort' stops!!!
    Molly XX

• I'm sure he'll be fine Molly image
    Ooooo - goodluck for Sunday! Where is it?

Morning folks.... really should get ready for work I suppose image
  • Hiya folks!! A looooong time since I've been on here, and good to see some of the same old ("We're not old you cheeky so and so!!") faces chatting away. Look forward to blethering with you all over the next few months! Wonder how many pages 2009s mara will get to after 2008s humungous thread?!

I'm deffo doing next years. Just went on to register but am not sure what to do here, as there's just your ordinary 'standard entry' and then something called 'qualifying standard' which looking at, I fall into (sub 3:15 for an old git of 41) but underneath it states:

"**Qualifying Standard or Overseas entries are not guaranteed if we reach 11,500 entries or after 15th Jan 2009."

Does that mean if I register under that category that I'm not sure of a place? Bit ambiguous that message I have to say. Tried calling Edi mara but no answer last night or this am. Can anyone help me here, am I just being stoopidimage?

Cheers all!

• Hiya folks image

LoL at bedshaped !

Smout .....sounds like you are really training well!...might be me doin the chasing!!!image

great to have you around again running ranger !

Neil-sounds like "guranteed entries "have to be in before 15th jan and are on a first come basis too because of the number limit .

• Hi

Looking forward to this event image

David

• Eeeek, think I am the slow-coach of the forum so far!  Only just scraped 5 hours at the 2008 Marathon so hopefully can speed up a bit!  Need to stop the comfortable plodding and shift up a gear during shorter runs!
  • Hi FenRun Two .....welcome aboard!image
  • I have just entered again. image

Have estimated 3:14 so need to make a four minute improvement on this year.

Will therefore have to ensure that Smiffie controls my alcohol intake again at the pre-race meal !!!

• I dunno about entering this again, I don't have the same passion for doing this one again next year.  I'm thinking.....image
  • I'm in, I'm in!!  Never EVER done it before so dragging my sister to do it with me...

Great excitement, which I imagine will last at least a week!!  How many miles p/wk should I be looking at clocking up during the pre-Hogmanay fitness build-up??

• oh hope you decide to do it soph!image

Hi little susie ...i prob wont start clocking up much in the way of miles until january ..what you running mile wise at the moment and if you do a long run how far?.....Im sure folks on here will be able to advise image

• Amber, ta for info earlier on 'qualifying time' entry info. Called them and they said it WAS guarenteed. Can't access my hotmail at work though so cant remember if there was a code in the last email to previous entrants so we can go and book a spot before everyone else. Sorry, shouldnt panic, but in 07 I forgot to register and only got in after pleading with them to let me in after the cut off!!

I'm training for Chicago mara  just now, in full flow, did 3hrs in thr P*ssing rain on Sunday - what 'fun'. Doin Glesgae half on Sunday, looking forward to it, great race that.

Cheers all fellow runners!

Neil M - panicky man.imageimage

• Count me in please.  5th year running.  Still hoping for that elusive sub 4 hrs.
  • Hi Amber hope all well with you.
  • Amber - it's good to be back! I have just about found my way around Livingston these days!!

Gillian, how's it going? I've seen you about at a few races early this year, but never had the chance to say hi. How close have you got to 4 hours so far? Sounds like we might be aiming for the same goal. I did 4hr 17 last time so have along way to go.

Molly - good luck this weekend! 

• Hi Amberskyes

Anybody else hoping to sneak undr 4 hours?

Would be very happy with a time of 3:xx:xx  image

David

• I'm trying to get under 4 hrs.  Bit of a shot in the dark though as I'm fairly new to running, only done one race and that was with no training!
  • Hi Little Susie (and sister).

As Amber says a lot depends on what  you have been doing prior to starting your marathon training. I run pretty much all year round but started to focus on the marathon late Jan/early Feb this year by building up my longer runs. This meant that  I still enjoyed myself over Christmas and New Year image.

There are plenty of marathon schedules knocking around in magazines such as RW or on websites for either beginners/intermediates/advanced so there should always be something to suit.

Welcome to the other new folks anyway. Beanie -  plenty of time to prepare to the marathon so don't forget the training this time !!!

• Hi Amber

I entered for this event yesterday and this will be first Marathon image.  (Gulp). I have been running for 18 Months now and have done many 10K's this season and by end of year I will have done 4 Half Marathons. I have also entered for the FLM but like many people on here you just know you are not going to get in ! so I thought If I will give this ago,  but now I know I have definitely have a place for this event,  I am bricking it.

So when should  I start training for this?

• Ha ha, thanks!  No I won't!  I'm training for a half at the moment and going well, already taken 5 mins off my 10k race time (and that's only measured in training).  Slightly injured at the moment though image
  • Sorry to hear about the injury Beanie. Take it easy.

I'm off to bed now. Shattered.

• Has anyone used the Hal Higdon training plans at all? I was looking at his website last night and wondering if that might be the one to use. Any other suggestions for good plans?
  • I also am wondering what plan to use - completely overwhelmed by them all!
  • I'm a complete novice - however my tuppence worth image

One lsr a week - incrementing from 10 to (target lsr distance)

One tempo/hill/interval session a week

One easy session of at least an hour a week

Always rest the day after the lsr

Remember to have one easy (easier) week, every four weeks.

• Hi all ....image

Running Ranger -yes im gettiing a little better finding my way round livingston too now!-just a tiny bit !, imagemy mum and dad have now moved to nr uphall so i have managed to find an almost completly cross country/trail route there which is pretty cool apart from when you have to run down the main street at mid calder and everyone looks at you like your insane as the stand outside the wee pubs with there pints !!image!, last marathon i was a bit bored of sunny livingston so was doing most of my long runs along the canal at various stages and got a lift home from Edinburgh-nice anf flat!

iv'e never really stuck to a training plan as such -more adapted them to how i feel, i have the advanced marathoning book (not that im advanced)but its really  inspiring and has loads of info and training plans in it that i have used in my own marathon training.

yup i agree with above .....the main emphasis should be on the long run but keep it gradual - dont increase your distance more than a mile or two per week make sure you eat a good carb diet and try out some gels sweets and drinks  to see what suits you...these should peak 3 weeks before with  maybe a run of 16-20miles.....and Recovery  is just as important as training ..lots protein and rest days.

so yeah i think plans are a good guidline but some folk can feel pressured by them and end up over tired so you gotta do what works for you.image