2009 Albert Bartlett Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Good post Amber, people get soooo uptight about training schedules etc it's untrue. Your advice is spot on, just build gradually and get to 20miles no more than 2 weeks (better if 3 though) before a race and you should be fine. Amber's right folks, just do whats right for you.

As for myself, I've followed the 12 week plan for sub 3:30 from the Edi mara pre race magazine for my last 3 races and it's done me the world of good (got a PB of 3.13 in this years race - I was SO chuffed!) so would guess that whatever time you're looking to finish in, try one of those and you should be spot on.

Don't fret, just enjoy your running. Thats what it's all about.

N.

• Well I've just entered. First marathon, but decided earlier on the year that I'd be entering this one, just took convincing to actually click the button on the website!

Like others a bit nervous about when to start ramping up the training for this. Am a member of a running club, so at least I'm getting the varied runs twice a week, but the long run by myself isn't happening the moment! (Find it really difficult to go out by myself!) - but I suppose I don't have to worry too much about that just now.

• Hello again!  Thanks for the advice, it's made me feel so inspired I may even brave the increasingly dubious-looking weather here in Aberdeen tonight... 

I don't want to kill myself too early on, so for my long runs up until Christmas I'm only going to go up to 1/2 marathon-type distance.  VERY impressed by all your times... Sam and I put down 4:30 on our forms - she thinks I'm being a pessimist but I thought it was pretty optimistic myself!

I'm afraid I will be pretty rubbish on here in the way of advice-giving, so I'm just going to go with the flattery...

• Well like many on here now, I'm getting over the shock of entering for this event. So I will need plenty of advice and encouragement from you lot image.

• Just popped in to say hiimage  Flitting over from the Edinburgh 2008 thread - although I didn't do that, and I'm not doing next year either!  I just like the chat and the folksimage

• Hi jac image...you not fancy Doing Edinburgh again?...not even a iccle bit tempted??image

welcome Greg and Cockney road runner.

I havn't been putting any long runs at all since end of may due to an calf injury, so my plan is to start building back up to 13 milers and then i will start to build on that in jan .

• Thanks Amber.

I've got half an eye on a half in early November (although its the day after my birthday so not certain!). I guess I'll probably do something similar to yourself and try and build up to 13 miles by xmas, and then build upon that at the start of the year...
  • LoL ...half and eye on a half !

I have entered a few 10k races until the end of the year ...fancied trying for a pb ..... the plan seems to be faiing so far !!image

• Hi Running Ranger can't remember my PB for a marathon shocking or what ?
  • I kind of am tempted.....just a teeny tiny bit Amber....but I really didn't like the 2007 course, and from what you guys said the 2008 one was worseimage, and I really want to do Belfast next year and it's always at the start of May and I need to save money and flights back to Scotland don't help me do thatimage!!!!!  So I think I've definitely.....maybe.....talked myself out of it!image
  • Hey folks, that's me, I've moved over permanently! Not that I'm running, like Jac I'm here for the banter, moral support and to talk nonsense!

Welcome to all, welcome back to everyone else, howdi to the regulars and a high five to anyone in between. Think that covers everyone!

Good luck Sunday Molly! Got the Glasgow half myself on Sunday. Ooooh, nervous already!!!!!  but pretty darn excited too!!!!!!

Wotcha all got to say this fine day (okay this typically crap weather day then!) 

• hiimage yeah sounds like you should comcentrate on belfast for the may then jac

Hi bedshaped-good luck for sunday...you got a time in mind or just going to enjoy the atmoshere?

Im still unsure if im going to be okay to run on sunday...i feel totally drained but i think the antibiotics have worked already  coz symptoms are just about away.image

• Hi all,Just found it,Thanks Karen!I can annoy you all again.Back to A-Cock-a-doodle-do's In the morning now.
  • Hello to all old and new image

I'm not running this one either, having done it last year and this year I'm having a break form maras next year! Little Susie they are quite a fast lot on here but lovely with it image My 4 maras have been between 5.10 and 4.36 so I'm an old slow coach lol Have you done a half mara yet? If so what was your time and if not then get entered for one and it will give you an idea then. My half PB is 1.59 and on the charts it says I should be able to do a 4.15 marathon!! But my prob is I get fed up training in the last few months before the marathon and don't get as good a time as I know I could do!!! So if I get anywhere near 4.30 at Loch Ness in Oct then I'll be a happy bunny image

Good luck to all 1st timers, Edin 07 was my first one and I decided that night that I was going to run Loch Ness to get a better time lol

• Hi DCB,just for you a little less cock and no doodle do!!
  • Turkey not changed you then Kiwi!! I'll read back in a bit.
  • Careful kiwi you'll offend the new neighbours.  How's life down there in sunny Somerset?
  • Hi all- good luck on Sunday bedshaped- lets hope the weather is kind to us both. good luck to all other racers too hope training is going OK. my tapering is going fine- image  my race is in Elgin (Moray marathon). Also a 10 k and half at the same event so the marathoners catch up the tail-enders of the other 2 races.

Jac  good to see you and all other non running supporters /skivers!!  Bungee and karen you not  doing this either? but doing LN- yes? .

OK need to get organised. Looking forward to a day off at home on Saturday- just 'pottering'- and eating!!  Unfort its only Thursday tomorrow.

Byeeeee all.

Still not entered this yet.....

Molly XX

• hiya kiwi you mad man you'll be on the step in no time lol image 

Hi Molly good luck for Sunday image go go sub 3.30 image

• Good luck Molly, get carbo loading.XX Yup Loch Ness soon. Nope not doing this next year.
  • Hi All

Found the '09 thread, hooray! We've entered, first time marathoners - brave or daft??

Good to hear some others doing Glasgow on Sun - anyone taking their green ribbons? We're aiming for 1:50ish so got blue numbers. Was our first half last year and really enjoyed it, looking forward to doing it again

• Hi Guys - when I don't get into London I'm doing this one....

Ran it in 2005 and then have run half of the race in 2006 and 2008.

• We're all getting here slowly but surely!

Hiya Kiwis, good hols? Looking forward to the early wake-up calls. How long til Jersey now?

Amber - yeah I'm looking to do under 2 hours (a few seconds will do!) so fingers crossed! Now that I have my travel plan in place I can relax a bit. I'm going to run it the way I did Smokies 10 in March - just me, my pace, my run, no pressure. Well that's the plan anyways!!! So good you're feeling better already. Great if you can make Sunday but hey don't worry if you don't. Plenty more coming up. You off to Linlithgow 10k since it's not too far away? 

Go go Molly indeed - be willing you along with your <3.30. Enjoy the taper, much eating and chillin image

Hiya G&D, maybe see you at Glasgow. Think there's an official green ribbon meeting place  beside the city chambers (Bungee will know for sure!).

How's your week going Bungee? You feeling okay and all set for your PB on Sunday image

Hello everyone else - tennis again tonight I see. Time to shout at young Andrew again no doubt! 

• I've put in for London too Jaggy. I really hope I don't get in as it actually seems like too much hassle. Plan is for Lochaber for me tho all going well!
  • Hi Gang dont leave me by myself, right im here now.

Molly good luck with the race, incidently I stayed in Elgin last night.

Im also looking forword to the Glasgow half on Sunday, my legs feel very heavy this week not sure why the only thing i have done is cut back my mileage etc.

I deferred last years Edinburgh due to new job/house move , fingers crossed for 2009. time wise im not sure, my LSR are about 8 and 8.10 min miles. and my 10k is 41.29 and to date half is 1hr 35 .30

was thinking sub 3hr30min should be the target.would love sub 3.15 as at 50 years i would get FLM Place.

• I don't like change.....

Cycled tonight.  Lungs complained bitterly, coughed for first ten minutes.  Chest feels like done a few rounds with Tyson.  Made sure I only took my heart rate up to max 140bpm, so as not to overdo things.  My peak flow has improved significantly though after cycling.

Catch you all in the morrow.

• Hiya guys (and girls),

Not committing myself to this next year as of yet (have done it 4 times and preferred it when it actually went through the city). I've planned to 'race' London as i had a rubbish run there this year and am trying to focus on that. Although i do much prefer the scenery and the people from Scotland.  

It would be nice to catch up with some of you from the old 2008 thread again, especially after the great meal we had thanks to Karen D's organisational skills image    and not forgetting Bedshaped cheering us runners on from around mile 18-19 !

Molly, good luck at Moray, i ran it in 2004 (i've still got my pre-race photo taken by a local photographer on our living room wall, with me and the rest of the family on it, even the pet dog) and thought it was a smashing little marathon, not too crowded either (was about 100 runners). Hope the wind calms down for you as when i ran it the last few miles were 'wind in your face' pushing you backwards. 

My next marathon is at Abingdon on 19th October, and since Edinburgh 2008 i've had a long break from running, (did 1 off-road marathon in early June), started back training again about 6 weeks ago and have built my mileage up to nearly 90 mpw so far.

• Hello folks..... got a wee spare room in here for the wee lost soul that is no longer a first timer?

I'm in for Sunday Glasgow Half too.... PB is just under 1:52 but not done much since Edinburgh so hoping to beat 2 hours and plan from there image
    Linlithgow 10k on 21st too.... anniversary race so just have to beat 57:15 from last years virginal image run image

Oooo.....I'm excited...... But folks giving me the 'mad woman' look now that I've told them at work I'm entered for this next year image But they're mostly worried that means even more sober Ann on not soo many nights out image

image Oh yeah... rest day for me but a long one at work image

• A-COCK-A-DOODLE-DO!!!!!!!!!!! WAKE UP EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!