2009 Albert Bartlett Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• We had no problem with the loos. Just a 5 min wait at 8.10am image
  • Smiffie - Would you like fries with that ?
  • I'm with Dancing Boy and won't dream of doing Edinburgh until someone else runs it.

why give these organisers your money again? This will not encourage them to make things better. When they state things like unexpected temperatures were to blame, the runners are to blame for taking too many bottles and lack of funding etc, etc, etc THEN to officially appologise and say the bottles have been stolen - they should always have a back up plan. As for the "unexpected temperatures" where were they the 2 days prior to the marathon.? - give me strength!

I won't be running this one again until it changes hands. But they will still get thousands turing up though next year hoping it will be better this time. No - SAVE YOUR MONEY and give it to a more deserving event - why risk it?

Right, feel better now image...

Andy

• Andy ..i didnt even run it this year  ..although i was there to witness, they still kept my entry fee even tho i withdrew image.....and if i want to run next year i have a guranteed place coz i deffered but i still  have to pay full entry fee again...hmmm .....
  • If i was you I'd strap a water sack on my back!!
  • I'll be doing a different marathon next year.

If the water and gels were stolen how come it wasn't mentioned on the day?

Sounds more like someone came up with an excuse at the brainstorming-to-try-to-find-an-excuse session.

I would have more respect and would be more likely to return if they just put their hands up and admitted their mistake.  At least that way I'd know that there may be a chance of them not making the same or similar mistake again.

• Neil Mac I did the Amsterdam Half (same day as the full marathon) in 2007 and put together some bumph about the race, accommodation, travel and things to do in Amsterdam (apart from the obvious!!!) as folks kept on asking me all about it. I can send you copy if you drop me an e-mail.
  • I ran the marathon on Sunday as my first ever marathon and although I did experience the problem with water shortage etc I still really enjoyed the day. The time I had been hoping for went out the window (I ended up adding on an hour) but was still ecstatic to finish. My problem is that I don't know what to do now...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe it is that I am a novice and have no other marathon experience but I would do the Edinburgh marathon again despite the issues on Sunday.

• Completely with you on this one Andy !
  • If they say the water and gel was stolen then I tend to agree with them. It wouldn't be very clever to lie about something like that, given that L&B police could verify/deny the claim at the drop of a hat.

Neil Mac,

I did Amsterdam last year and the organisation was flawless, the people mega friendly and helpful and the course was very nice. Hope you have as good a time as I did.

BUT (and this is going to sound stupid) it's very, very flat - and that can cause problems. Most runs in this country are undulating so you shift the muscle groups in your legs that you are using very slightly but constantly - this actually stops one set of muscles getting too tired (by shifting the work I suppose). On a flat route like Amsterdam you are using the same muscles all the time - legs tire quicker. Don't want to put anyone off though.

• Hey, well done firsttimerunner for completing your first one, my first as well! I aimed for 4.15 and got 4.44 so was a bit disappointed but the heat just got to me.image

Like you I enjoyed the race but compared to other events I've entered have never come accross such arrogant organisers who, for me, are more concerned with cutting costs than running a safe event. It is much to do with the organisers response to their mistake which has mad me think twice before going near Edinburgh marathon again, shame really,it just needs a fresh management structure and it is my guess this might come sooner than we imagined...

What time did you get?

Regards Andy

• firsttimerunner, I almost forgot. If you are not too sore I would recommend doing some short runs to keep you moving - don't just stop (unless you are injured) or your fitness will plumit quickly.

You might want to set yourself another target and start a new running program - maybe even do another event, a 10k or half marathon?

Just keep moving towards something else whatever that may be.

See you later...

• Is it not more likely that somebody signed for more water than was actually delivered?  The delivery company will say it was delivered because somebody signed for it leaving somebody to claim if it was all delivered and then vanished it must have been nicked.  The simple fact is that whatever your job you tend to sign for a delivery without really checking how many crates have turned up and only spot its not all there when something you need in the order isn't there.

Amsterdam is supposed to be quite good.  The only negative I've heard is that it spends almost too much time like Edinburgh running along the amstel river and not in Amsterdam itself.  Apparently not many folk come out to the side of the road to see you run past.  They just stay inside and knock on the windows image

• Brendan Foster still takes some beating on the arrogant organiser front.  After the 2005 GNR he calimed there was a water station at gateshead stadium which 40000 failed to spot and had to wait until beyond half way to get any water on a day as warm as sunday.  4 people died that day and I almost went down that day too which is maybe why i was a bit overcautious on sunday as it scared me.  At least these organisers got everybody home safely which is more than Brendan managed.
  • hi

guys

been lurking on the thread for a while-

i had to pull out this year as couldn't get the training done cos of the new baby taking up all my time.

AMBER- i had to pull out this year- but i got a refund and also guranteed entry for next year. did you get a refund?

MUSSELBURGH 10km- where do you enter quite fancy itimage

• The theft must be true. Everyone knows that there is a HUGE market for wee bottles of water in Edinburgh and the surounding area - right? Maybe the weans in Pilton are being fed carbo gels as I type... bollocks.
  • PMSL at the Amsterdam peeps just knocking on the windows.

Might consider that one myself.

• The gnomes of seaton sands now have a water feature image

http://www.fantasycreations.net/gnome_at_water_2.gif

• shame you had to pull out aswell paul .....congrats on the new additonimage..nope i got no refund image

maybe see u at musselburgh 10k in july  then .....apparently its a bit like a trail race  starts and finishes at loretto schoolimage

• just double checked that about the entry fees and terms and conditions say

All entry fees are non-refundable, and may not be deferred toward a future event.

you  really lucky you managed to get yours back paul image

• Amber - do you think your non-refundable entry fee went towards our water!!!!!!!!  No didn't think so!

• Afternoon folks,

I'm of the ilk that someone always deserves a second chance, yeah it wasn't great this year, but there were a lot of positives too.  I like this race and will still do it, it's all about personal risk assessment too and Can made that decision on Sunday.  We take too much time to point the finger and blame in this day and age instead of trying to get things improved and help IMO.

My legs are shot and my toe is the size of a melon today, really sore... I've even had to take a double strength ibuprofen.

I cycled last night and it was totally fantastic out.  Loved it despite getting a puncture.  Was out for nearly 1.5hours! image  

I'll see what I get up to tonight with this toe, a large wad of cotton wool may be sellotaped to it! image

• Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Caniggia, good shoutimage, reckon the Gnomes have been pockeling the water and gels? Check that boys coupon, you can tell he's been getting Gel'd up and is off his nut.

Wee Coll and Callan, cheers for tips re Hamsterdam. Have been there a few times so know about the city etc, and am more interested in the actual race. Is it like Cannigia says, not much in the city? Wonder what the, ahem, 'goodie bag' is like, a large 6 skinner,  24 kit-kats and pizza??

Oh, and I used the lavs at the Balmoral hotel before the race, very nice I must say, plush affairs, must remember them the next time I'm up town and get caught short!!image = image

• Yahey I got piccy in paper at start of Race for Life week before Edinburgh.......... good time to get your photo taken as you lead them off image, not at end when you're back in 6th place image  Not often I get a good piccy and in paper too!
  • Nice one Smiffie image

Also hanging out on the fence getting splinters on my butt alongside Karen and Caniggia image  tho I'm not entirely convinced about the water/gel theft excuse!!

• I'll be back, at the end of the day you need to fall back to old staple and be able to look after yourself.  Well thats my excuse for not pushing myself and falling by wayside image I'll be back next year........
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    I felt reasonably crap in the last couple of miles and thought 'I wonder if I can run or at least jog'.

But decided, no I'm still upright so will stick with feeling ok-ish.
  • Yehay, needed that feeling low as getting on with ex OH, but not for long I expect when we start discussing house etc.....