2009 Albert Bartlett Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• So then now that the dust has settled and Can33 is inching out from his corner. Whats next for people? my major aim is Abingdon Marathon in Oct, where i hope to break 3hrs and finally complete the third of my running aims, ie 10k-sub40, half-sub90 and the sub 3hr marathon. I think with training and luck it could be on.

Other than that normal club racing for the next few months and a baby at the start og August!!!

• I'm still loving my running, so i know i'm not going to quit now i've done the marathon.

Next long term goal is Loch Ness in October, where i now hope to beat my time from Edinburgh and get around with no walking, running all the way. I'll be happy with that.

On the 21st June i'm doing the Mens Health 10k in Glasgow, it's 5 minutes from my front door so i have no excuse to not do it.

I'll do the Great Scottish Run half marathon this time, will be the 1 year anniversary from my first ever race.

I'm also tempted by the Saab Salomon Turbo X on the 12th September at Mugdock park to try something different.

Also in August i'm going on a weeks trek in northern Sweden. So no sign of my health kick ending anytime soon. I also plan on purchasing a bike so will add that to my fitness routine,

p.s I've still not had any post marathon celebratory alcohol!
  • Looking good as always Ms Smiff.  No 817 looks like an optomist if nothing else starting on the front row.  Something tells me she wasn't one of the 5 that finished ahead of you lol. image

I've come out (the corner that is not in a poofy kind of way!!!!!!!) thanks adie. image  Been to the gym again today.  5 mile blast at 10mph, more weights and more core stuff in day 2 of a totally new start.  Last year felt so good getting my Boston qualifying time I couldn't stop smiling.  This year I was glad I had the sun specs on to hide the disappointment in my eyes although if the ground had swollowed me up it might have been a better place to hide.  I know the chicken pox didn't help but I had lost a lot of the drive and determination to run after Edinburgh last year.  I never really had the same motivation in Noo Yoik, got it back for Boston (before the illness because it was Boston and I wanted to justify my place there) but had little interest in Edinburgh at all.  I'm trying to take at least something positive out of last sunday and the one I've got is that it hurt like hell to watch all those folk finishing and not being a part of it.  I've remembered why I run and how good it can make you feel if you have worked hard enough to earn it.  I know I certainly dont want to feel any more of that failure like I did on Sunday or in Boston.  I'm buzzing again, the determination is back..........bring on Berlin!!!!!!! image

p.s Haile be afraid......... be very afraid image

• I had a few beveridges on Sunday night not so much as a celebration but to drown my sorrows.  I had a lovely Belgian called Stella to kept me entertained for quite a few hours. image
  • Triple S www.justgiving.co.uk/sophster wrote (see)

My legs are shot and my toe is the size of a melon today, really sore... I've even had to take a double strength ibuprofen.

I cycled last night and it was totally fantastic out.  Loved it despite getting a puncture.  Was out for nearly 1.5hours! image  

I'll see what I get up to tonight with this toe, a large wad of cotton wool may be sellotaped to it! image

Sounds like gout soph have you been at the whisky again??? imageimage
  • Morning all

We all settling down again now lol image 

I agree its not so much the race its the bloody organisers!! If they could get it right it would be fanatastic image I personally just don't like the route, it just doesn't do it for me BUT I probably will still do it again, don't know when but I'll know when the time is right lol

Amber I fancy Mussleburgh 10K its 4 days before Tour of Fife starts so it will fit in on the Sat nicely image i'll be doing all the smaller local summer races and then GSR and Loch Ness which the plan is to PB at both image Also got 25 & 55 mile cycle 'races' to do end of this month and then Sept.
    Didn't go to club training last night as shin splints still not away yet from Auld Toon!!!!! So next week now which will give my brother time to recover from Sunday as he was expressing an interest in coming along image Will need to get my club vest ordered ready for TofF image 

Right off to walk my boys and get to work early!!!

Soph look after that toe, where do you get all your energy woman!!! image
    Smiffie fab pic there, you flying off that start line image
    Can glad to hear you are feeling more positive image 

Have a good day all x

• Morning guys,

Heh Can, how did you know?!! hick! image

OMG, my toe was complete agony yesterday, I ended up taking super strength ibuprofen twice and paracetamol on top of the ibuprofen at bed.  I felt sick and faint with the pain.  Oops!  So, I washed it and changed the dressing when I got home and again last night.  In the evening, I put some tea tree cream on the toe and it seemed to make a huge difference.  The toe throbbed more for about ten minutes as the cream started to work, but I swear to gawd that tea tree stuff rocks. No work shoes today, trainers instead.  I couldn't take another day in those work shoes!!

TD, we'll have to get back to some training runs... image

Adie, Abingdon is supposed to be fast.  I'd love to do it, perhaps next year.  Hope you get the training in with a new addition soon. image

Fab pic Smiffie.

DCB, how is the ankle after Sunday?

Bungee, didn't know you were suffering with the splints again at the moment.  Pose running Mrs. tis the way to go... image

Waves to everyone else. x

• Iceland marathon - August

Turbo x Mugdock - September

Glasgow 1/2 - September

Loch Ness - October

Take rest of year off lol!

Taking first steps back in gym tonight with some x-training. Middle toe looks like it has been BBQ'd from blistering last Sunday.image

• Sophster - I have one horrendous toe and one grusome toe - I showed them to the pharmasist yesterday in an attempt to try and get something to stop any infection getting any worse and he backed away in horror whilest handing me a tube of germolene!    I am giving myself a week off from running to recover so no worried about getting trainers on, am going to go swimming tonight as I really can't sit around eating cake for much longer!!

My next race is the Burn Valley Half on July 5th, so not long till then.  Then I have a 10k at the end of the month.  Would like to have done Loch Ness in October, but think I will leave off another marathon this year and just stick with the game plan of one a year.

• Adie - I had smilar goals, and like you have managed the first 2.  That is some ask for the Marathon one though, my target is sub 3:15, I can't even get that - yet!

Got Welsh Castles Relay a week this Sunday, then might start thinking about an Autumn marathon.

• I've another bloody complaint!!!

Having shelled out for an official Photo, they send me one of a puffing sweaty fat bloke with what looks like the same race number as mine above his heaving girth!

Scandalous!

ade
  • Oh that has made me laugh ade barwick, I know they keep mixing me up with some short woman image

Caniggia33 is back image, really you are thinking "I'm not letting Smifffie, overtake me at Berlin" tut, so competitive!

Well I 'removed' toenail on Tuesday night went running yesterday ouch image took about a mile before I could face a downhill bit image  Well to be fair went to cut nail back to relieve pressure and it came off on its own eeeuuuuwwww lucky I don't want to paint my toe nails like Bedshaped image

So like Soph was running with a wad of cotton wool round.....

Scharm you showed someone your toenail image

Got 10K on 19th but think it clashes with sons Cubs camping trip, so next one will be 10K on 26th.......

Really all focusing on beating the 'men/boys' at Berlin rohoha that should get a response image

Hi Bungee, Dippycat, AFresh, Kiwiscanfly, FOAR, Trimm Dich, Adie, Amber, Molly, KarenD, Bedshaped, DCB crikey theres to many for my 'ickle brain to manage......... image

• MOrning image

oooh lots of yuckky toes image..hope they all get better soon x...espec soph sounds like you really suffering poor soul xx

i ran over to my mum and dads house lastnight kinda cross country ....prob one of the hardest routes i have ever done so i dont run it too much ......one hill is vertical and i usually walk up the steps to the side but i  made it up it lastngiht and found ran it 5 mins quicker than last time  image yaay! ..think my mum was a little worried when i arrived looking a bit worse for wear ....she made me have a shower before i was allowed in the sitting room heh hehimage...then fed me nuts and wine image

my next race will be that jogscotland 5k in ed ....i have a score to settle there after a crappy run last year.

took max to school this morning after telling him he was talking nonsense yesterday when he said he had the day off .....place was deserted image...erm forgot it is a polling station .....so i have him home today ...thankfully i didnt have any hairdessing booked in -we gonna go out for a joggy walkimage

• I think Kiwi might have more to say about that last claim.  Think it might start him morris dancing again and sticking his tongue out a lot. image I just want to run it properly for the 1st time in ages but if you want to adpot the pacemaker role that nell normally adopts you could help the time pass quicker imageimage

SCharm I hate feet.  You were lucky that you found a pharmacist to even have that close a look!!!!!!

Not sure about the toenail painting comment.  I painted my ones like Bedshaped and they have never looked better.  The wee ones were a bit of a scutter to do but I think they look braw noo. image

• aww ...cute toenails caniggia!imageLoL

• Can - it was the end of the day so probably put him off his tea poor man!!!!!

• Your school closed too Amber? I don't know how many polling stations this pissy little place I live in needs. School is closed (only ours tho, not the other one), they're also using the church hall, community centre and leisure centre. I mean FFS it's not the city centre image

Right, compose yourself bedshaped - morning all image

OMG Caniggia totally PMSL at your toenails. Boy they're looking good image

Feet image horrible but useful things.

Now I've totally lost what everyone was saying cos I'm still ROFL at Can's toenails imageimage

• I had Karen D ones last week but the fluorescent running vest makes the bedshaped ones look soooooooo much better image

• Yeah its the same here bedshaped ....seem to be polling stations all over the place image

• Not feeling too bad, have been running every day since sunday and am enjoying the cooler weather.

Have another marathon on sunday - the seabank marathon which goes from boston (where my mum lives) to skegness.  IT is off road and has more runners than walkers so there is no time pressure.  On Sunday when I was hating the heat I just told myself that the slower I run on sunday the better I will be recovered for the next one!!

• right across the atlantic certainly sounds off road to me are you sure thats not more than 26.2miles though hellen?????

Did I mention I "ran" a marathon in Boston image

• Hi. 

Hope you are all well and toenails are growing back image.

My legs seem to be okay now, which I am amazed at.  Haven't run yet though - will go tomorrow while daughter is at Brownies.  Got post marathon hyperactivity.  Absolutely exhausted, but can't sleep.  Need to be rested for our club's Saturday night post marathon celebrations otherwise half a glass of wine may see me falling over rather than the usual full glass!

My plans for the running are

•  three 10ks this year - Abbey Dash in November being hopefully a pb attempt where I would like to get 43 or under.
    • parkruns and really want to try for 21:15
    • gnr
    • couple of tough 10 milers
    • not be frightened of hills!

I'm not doing another marathon until London next year because I already have a full racing diary for the next 6 months!

Speaking of London, how do you apply for a good for age place?  I found some information that said send proof of time and age, but what happens after that?  Do they send you a form back to fill in properly?

• No bloody idea cant get a sniff at the rickydoodlessly fast 3h thanks dippycat. image

I think you write to them with a copy of the results or the finishers certificate you got from edinburgh and then they send you an application in the post.  The girlies on here that qualify every year like ms smiff will keep you right.

• Hey all, not been on for a couple of days.

I'm like you Dippy, havent ran since Sunday although the legs are fine now and no nasty toe stories like others. I have also had trouble sleeping despite being shattered I take it that is common?

Anybody know of any good races coming up later in the year preferably not too far away from the Edinburgh area? Really enjoyed the camaraderie of the race experience and looking forward to doing it again but not another Marathon till next year!

JP

• Dippycat, I'm doing the Abbey Dash in November as well, so might see you heading back as I'm heading out!  It is not my favourite race but I want to try and get a decent time from it this year.
  • Well, I was probably like some of you and unfortunate to be amongst the runners unable to get any water between mile 15 and 21..!!  I can honestly say I felt like curling up to die around mile 20 and couldn't think straight let alone run.  I passed 20 miles in 3 hours 12 mins, so about 12 minutes outside my planned pace.

Unfortunately, I died on my feet and it took until mile 23 before the lucozade I got from the Police motobike rider took effect and I started to feel any better.  Thankfully, I perked up and ran in at planned marathon pace for final 2.2 miles.  Apparently I looked as fresh as a daisy when I finished, but I certainly didn't feel like it.

Finish time was 4 hours 46 on the Garmin, official time 4 hours 50.  So, slow but in the circumstances I'm not too fussed as it was my first marathon.

Unfortunately, I seem to have tendonitis and potentially some cartilage damage on my left knee so have to lay off running for a few weeks when I can get an MRI/Ultrasound to see how bad....

I am going on holiday this Saturday for a week lounging in the sunshine, so a well earned rest I think.

Well done to all who ran on Sunday.

• Can, you doing the DRAM in September?
  • More whisky in spetember wont help that gout soph image I gatecrashed it last year and was leading it for about 8 miles not realising it ran in an opposite direction to the bike race the day after (much to the surprise of the bloke in 2nd place who was gunning it all the way from monifieth to the unicorn trying to catch me. image)  I should have entered I might have won!!!!!!  It looks OK but a bit too close to Berlin to run another marathon and you dont get a medal.  I'm likely muttley I like my medals.  I also cant afford to give smiffie any more of a chance to beat me in Berlin image
  • I have run the Abbey dash a number of times and it used to be my pb course, i just find it dull and over priced these days, though if you get near enough to the front and get away from the line it is a course to run well on.
  • Well I guess it is about time I posted.  The race for me was something of a trial on Sunday although I went through each water station while they still had some at least.image I'll not discuss organisers, water etc.  I'ts all been said.

My ultimate marathon goal at present is sub-3:15 so despite the weather I set off with that in mind aiming for an average of around 7:23 min/miles.  My mile splits were fine for about the first 12  miles and then the Achilles strain that had been hindering my training for the last month began to give me pain.  By this point faster runners were begging to stop and some were sitting distressed on the side of the road.  I also had a cold and a very sore throat so once I realised I was slowing anyway I made a conscious decision before Gorford House to slow down and stay well within my limits since my PB (3:20) was out of reach let alone the 3:15!  This meant run / walking a few miles around 18 to 23 before gently running miles 24 to 26.  I put in a strong finish though with the last 0.33 miles on my Garmin at sub 7 min/mile pace (Garmin measured 26.33).  It felt good passing loads of relay runners in the last half mile and finishing reasonably strong with something in reserve and no serious injury or heat stress. 

My mile splits from the Garmin tell the full story 7.32, 7.15, 7.16, 7.15, 7.23, 7.23, 7.31, 7.20, 7.22, 7.28, 7.29, 7.22, 7.29, 7.37, 7.58, 7.59, 8.14, 8.49, 9.03, 9.16, 12.00, 10.59, 10.14, 9.59, 9.44, 8.45, 2.19 as do the official splits; 10k 44:53; half 1:37:35; 30k 2:22:57 and finish 3:39:14. At half way 3:15 was still possible but it was not to be. 

FOAR – well done mate, what I would not give for your time.  I wish I could have stayed with you and your mate when you eased away from me but even then although I felt comfortable I think I knew I could not up the pace.  I’ll be back for that 3:15 in Berlin but it will be too late for me for London 2010.

I did not see any of the Support Crew -  where were you?image 

Smiffie – the girls had to get one some time – but don’t think you’ll make it a regular event.  Caniggia is not the only one thinking “I’m not letting Smiffie overtake me in Berlin” !!!  Having said that your run on Sunday in that heat was awesome.  Very, very well done.image 

Caniggia – Glad to hear you are feeling better mate – above all you must enjoy your running.  How the hell you endured that DJ guy for more than 5 min though I’ll never know – what a prat!  Oh yes I’ve also had that Stella; are you sure she is not from Amsterdam?  Remember when you finish in Berlin to turn and shake Haile’s hand.  10 mph is a good start but you’ll need 13.11 to get that marathon time beginning with a 1. 

T.D. I’ll also be at Lock Ness I hope.  Running all the way is a great goal but on that course a tactical walk at the hill around mile 17 may not be a bad idea (Oh and there is another hill around mile 20 I think that almost had me in tears the first time a ran there!) 

Soph – the Achilles is still sore – any idea how to treat it and still keep training since it is less than 16 weeks to Berlin? 

SMOUT -  CONGRATULATIONS image