2009 Albert Bartlett Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Hell's teeth it just started hailstoneing outside - mental!!! image
  • Jen L the one taken of my brother, myself and some short bird at the end did not apear in my marathonphotos "album" either, but it is in those listed for my brother and the other wee sole in the picture.
  • 7 degrees C and light rain when I drove to work this morning - why could we not have had that on Sunday ?image
  • Hi folks,

Got out for a 5 miler last night, was planning on 10 but abandoned the boys as my poor legs were still feeling Sunday's run. Also did 5K on Wednesday night on the tready in 23:22, not brilliant but not bad - reassured me that I can still run!

My next races are Aycliffe 10K on 21st, then thinking of doing Yorkshire Wolds half marathon in July. Then it'll be Nottingham Marathon in September - hopefully make up for Sunday's nightmare as it's reasonably flat. I've also sent off an application for Beachy Head marathon in October image Oh, and there maybe a wee trip to Isle of Man on the cards in August, going to try and sort out travel and accomodation at the weekend. So not much really image

Hellen you must be keen - another marathon this weekend?!

DCB the weather is so much better now for running than it was last weekend, typical!

Trimm I get my medals engraved too, nice to know someone else does it! I'll look back on this one as 'the one where it all went wrong'

• hi foks ...

dont tell me the finish photos were stolen aswell ?image

well done with your runnin the hills bedshaped ....enjoy your 2 mile raceimage

smiffie-hope you all enjoy the birthday dinnerimage..Gems birthday tuesday think we are going to frankie and bennys ,

max and i went out for a jog/walk yesterday .....ended up more a  sprint/collapse ....need to teach him how to pace himself .

im staying at my mum and dads house for the weekend to cat sit  ....yaaay peace! and whats more its right next to the canal and almonvale coutry park so i get  nice wee bit running aswell

• Hey guys,

How are you all?  No running for me last night, foot still in a bad way.  No painkillers yesterday though, although it was still pretty sore.  I got in and cut back more of the toe nail to allow for the swelling, I put a new dressing on and wrapped it in the biggest wad of cotton wool ever.  It's been interesting having a bath with the foot hanging over the front of the bath.  We have a tiny bath that is 120cm long and fits between two walls!!  LMAO, so it's quite comical getting in and out.....

So, after I'd redressed the bad toe, I did an hour of core and strength work which was really tough, as I pushed myself because I could nae run!!  I did bicep curls, tricep curls, chest press, sit-ups, oblique work, plank, deltoid lifts figure of 8's with a medicine ball, press-ups, wobble board stuff, squats with a weight and scissor leg lifts.  I think that's it, but I felt good for doing something....

I'm supposed to be cycling 5hours tomorrow and doing a 10K trail race on Sunday.  The cycling will be fine, not sure how the trail race will go though.  Probably, ouch, ouch, ouch.. image

hellen, good luck for the marathon.  100 club? image

Sounds like you're doing well this week carrot.

Happy birthday to Calum Smiffie.  Hope you enjoy the meal.

DCB, I was thinking last night that a wobble board would help you with your achilles issues, help build a bit of strength.  And using a resistance band to do ankle exercises?

SCharm, I was thinking of getting some of these for my dodgy toe: toe protector

TD, did you go in disguise to vote the second time? image

Good luck for the race tonight Bedshaped. image

• The gym was not so good last night. Did a x-training session but blistered toe still rather tender. Had a look at it this morning and think the nail is coming off which is a first after a run! Getting frustrated as really want to go out for a hour but trying to wait until Sunday before doing do.

Best of luck to anyone racing this weekend - dont know how you do it so soon after last weekeneds debarcle.

• awww sounds so sore soph.image...huge hugs !
  • Yea I'm the same on the photo front none at the end with my medal spent ages going through the more photos section no joyimage It was the one I really wanted as I didn't get one at London when I did it.
  • Carrot prepare yourself for a spot of anticlimax when you get to Newton Aycliffe.  2 laps of a pretty grey housing estate really didn't do it for me.  The highlight of the race is the fact that the bloke who starts the race aka fangio also feels the need to drive the lead car.  If you think of the old formula 1 pictures with the drivers running to get in their cars on the starting grid you get an idea of what its like. It is alos the only race I've ever run that you get a t-shirt at the finish with a pair of testicles on the front.  Apparrently you need balls to run this one image

http://www.newtonaycliffeac.org.uk/image002.gif

soph have you tried allopurinol for the gout!!!!!!!  In all seriousness though gout can be more of a problem if you get dehydrated as you would have been on as hot a day as last week (and like a tipple) if the swelling doesn't go down it might be worth dialing the batphone (soph's direct number to her GP) and seeing your GP.

DCB you are going to get a slap for calling smiffie a short bird.  I'll settle for small but perfectly formed to avoid a similar fate. image

Just had an "interesting" 12 miler in about 1:30 ish.  Struggled up the hill and ran a 6 minute negative split.  Think that prob sums up my lack of fitness at the moment in the 1st half rather than supreme fitness in the 2nd.  I dont think it would have mattered what the weather was last sunday I think I was pretty much bolloxed the heat just made the decision easier and the problem more apparrent at an earlier stage.  That run is always tough and I think I ran it about as badly in january as I did today I also ran that plus an other 7 miles in sub 7 min/miles all the way round in March so there is lots of improvement hopefully still to come. The only way is up!!!!!! image

• anyone used one of those powerplates at the gym ......my mum and dad have a hired one in there house and i thought i might have a wee shoogle on it .....wondered do i just stand there and shake?image

just done 30 mins hard cross training ..off to the library after a shower

• Just read this story in the paper its a beauty pmsl.  How many folk collapse and die from dehydration whilst walking a 5k.  I really hate race for life and the associated 10k runs.  They put on sh!t events at rediculous prices cant even be bothered to time runners or find even the smallest of momentos to the winners of the "races"  Just a ponsed up sponsored walk image

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2009/06/05/newsstory13250116t0.asp

• Watching folk shuggling sounds more fun than going on one of those things image

There are quite a few different things to do with them as always I've found you lot a video. image  basically its normal exercises but the extra shuggles makes your body feel like its doing a lot  more exercise than it actually is.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=7933764870847034321&ei=WhopStTLG4jt-AaAm-i-CQ&q=powerplates&hl=en

• Amber, you do press-ups and dips on these machines while it vibrates.  I dunno why, think it's supposed to increase the intensity of the work or something!!

Can, it's not gout ya tool.  It's a huge f off bruise! image  Think you've had too many pies at the footie this season is the reason you cannae run up the hills! image  And your genitals reference is actually an entirely innocent acorn from the look of it! image

• PMSL @ that article in the courier Can, chuffing dehydrated after three miles.  Please, you'd have to be dehydrated before the start to collapse from dehydration running a 5K...  image  Or are they doing 18minute miles! imageimage
  • Hi Soph, gosh your toe sounds far worse than mine.  I have had to bandage it up today though as its so blooming cold I have had to put boots on.  Fancied wellies as they are nice a big but not really suitable at work!  Those toe protectors are a lot cheaper than the one I bought from Boots which I think was about £8!  I did wear it whilst training as my toenail had been bad since my 20 mile race back in March, but thought it might irritate so didn't wear it for the marathon.  Will always wear them now though espeicially as £2.95!  Thanks for the link.

• Not enough pehs at the footie soph.  I've still not put that weight back on.  I'm weighing in at a fantastic 9 stone 3 which I dont think is the ideal body weight for someone 6'1" image

p.s. you spelt pie wrong the correct spelling is PEH.  When are yoose gonna leanr tae talk proaper image

• LOL Can, I've never look at that acorn and seen a pair of balls before! I've heard all about how boring the run is through the industrial estate (I even marshalled it last year image) but it's flat so PB potential, and only about 5 miles from my front door.  Article just looks like a last-minute plug for the event rather than an actual reassurance to RLFers, surely people taking part can't be comparing the risk to a marathon?

Amber you can use it to do squats and stuff, think the wobbling about means you have to work harder to stay on it than you would if you were on normal wobble-free floor.

Lots of peeps losing toenails! Mine started turning black just after Blackpool, it's now a lovely multicoloured delight. Doesn't hurt, I'm just waiting for the day when it will inevitably fall off. Maybe put it on a ribbon and hang it up with my medals? image

• The coverage race for life gets in the papers in comparison to the marathon and the dundee half the weekend after it you would think its like the marathon de sables and the comrades all rolled into one.  image

I've got a couple of wobbly floorboards in the garden shed do you think doing exercises on them would have the same effect and save me some cash image

• PMSL Caniggia women can enter that Race for Life but only ladies will get the goody bag, medal, and bottle of water at the finishing line.  I wonder if Smiffie got all that at the one she was pictured starting last week image
  • Your in trouble when the "small burd" (who incidently I said was small but perfectly formed) gets back from Pizza Hut

http://slapmedia.net/images/Logo-Slap-low.jpg

• and if you thought you were safe going to Macdonalds and avoiding pizza hut I'd think again image

http://funmeme.com/images/funmeme_com/WindowsLiveWriter/YouHaventBeenSlappedTillYouBeenSlappedBy_77B0/Ronald-Slap_4d6edf8f-4584-4c69-a047-4c49bd707970.jpg

• Aw you poor folk with your sare taes etc. Yours sounds particularly bad Soph. You're dead hardcore tho aren't you with your workout last night - wow, well done you!!!  Hope the toe starts to mend soon. 10k trail race, are you nuts? Oh yeah, you are eh? image

What a pile of cack that article is Caniggia eh? I mean FFS it's hardly the same - Edinburgh Marathon/Race for Life. Hmm, yeah right. Mind you by the time the first marathoners are finishing the RfL stragglers might be heading to the finish image  I too can't be doing with that race at all. All hype and a pile of crap. Hmph! There, rant over image

Well done on the cross training Amber. Liking hte sound of a few days peace at your folks place - enjoy image

Carrot, wish I could run 5k that time at all let alone a few days after a marathon!! Good stuff, well done you!!

Who is that wee woman that keeps nippin in all the photos? Pops up all over the place so she does image

Ooooh new neighbours just moving in over the road. Must discuss parking etiquette with them image

Legs are totally mashed after last night's jaunt up the hills but I'm still gonna do the race tonight, even if I'm last image

• I have this vision of Amber trying to do squats on the vibrogym and being thrown off in a heap while trying to balance!! image

Love the attitude Bedshaped.  I realised earlier that thankfully the trail race is next weekend.  Phew. image

Sowry Can, is et baiter noo. image 

And I have a vision of Can standing on a wobbly floorboard and getting whacked in the chops!!

• Hail stones coming down so hard in carnoustie my velux window in the bathroom is completely white and my next door neighbours car alarm has been set off.  Good job I went running at luchtime.  I'm pretty sure this week is my summer holiday image
  • The sun is back out anybody fancy a trip to the seaside image

• HA HA Can you are off your trolley image am loving the positive attitude btw image 

I have had a mad week at work, off Monday Bank Holiday and jeez don't know it it was worth it as me and my team have been in early and worked late every bloody day to make up for it to get our targets!!! I'm knackered and on the wine lol!!! image Will conk out about 9pm tonight methinks lol Good nights sleep and planning a 6 mile run tomorrow to start the beginning of a plan for my LN training image Really plan on eating well and training well for Oct, I soooooooooo want a fighting chance at sub 4.30!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CALLUM image Hope Pizza Hut was good image  I like PH not takeaway but sit in image

I am so fooked, hubby is still out at work and I have had 2 glasses of wine and no food!!!! But walked boys and done shopping so there is always takeaway lol Got nice free range corn fed chicken in slo cooker so tea is sorted for tomorrow !!!! Just not tonight lol

May be back when I am even more knackered ...... shhhhhhh don't tell anyone that means half cut tonight!!!! image

• I really feel for those with poorly toes.  I often have trouble and it tends to be the same one.  I usually find myself wearing a foam toe protector for about a month after a marathon.  Its funny how it can be OK on a 20 mile training run but after a marathon it ends up a mess. 

On Sunday wore the toe protector because I had pulled the nail off a couple of weeks before image, luckliy it was OK

I think I got my foam toe protector ftom boots, 2 for about £3 or £4.  I also got one of those gel ones because a while back I had problems with my big toe, the foam ones wouldnt fit but the gel one stretches, I think that was from boots but have seen them in tescos since I got mine.  It fitted over the big toe ok and was good to wear with my shoes but kept slipping off when trying to run in it.  I then tried to tape it on but the tape chaffed on the next toe!!!!

I cant believe how the weather has suddenly turned!! Wish it was like it is now back on Sunday. Looks like it is going to rain for my one this sunday.  Soph, I think I might try for the 100 club?!!!!

• Hi Gang.Haven't read back.Is it still anger towards the marathon or have things calmed down a bit!

Curry tonight BEDSHAPED.Just about to ring up for it now.Nothing too hot,probably just a  a Phall