2009 Albert Bartlett Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• LOL kiwi probably 'just' a phal ....... image yeh its calmed down a bit now, its safe to come on and chill out lol

On the subject of toenails, I have lost a couple but over 4 maras I reckoned that was ok, none even bruised due to the last 2 maras image 

Have been looking at some training plans.... again!!! for LN I like the idea of First 3 days of training but not the amount of LR's!!!!!!! Jeez there are five 20's and six 15 miles and over!! No bloody way would I manage that!! Rethink !!!!!!

• Kiwi I think other than one or two hangers on we are back to the posters being our usual (if slightly disfunctional) friends and family again.  Much less anger in the house, not much talk of running and the only time water has been mentioned has been in the frozen form of hailstones. Its back to normal image
  • try this one bungee much less long runs and much more practical for me to follow

I tend to fit an extra couple of longer runs in along the way on the sundays but it is a pretty good non-guilt plan.  Even if I have a crap week I can normally fit 3 runs in.  Any more is a bonus.  If I was trying one of those 6-7 days/week plans I'd be (a) knackered, (b) upset about missing runs and falling behind, (c) never in the house or (d) dead!!!!!!! image 

• Looking at it again I normally add about 2 miles to each of the long runs.  Rarely drop as low as 10 miles and sometimes go up as far as 22 (although not before edinburgh this year which may be the source of my problems) image
  • Great to see the old hard core crew are still on this thread.I do enjoy the banter amongst us!!

Only kidding about the phal (although I have had one) BUNGEE.I will have either a Rajpoot special biryani or a chicken tarka.

I feel a bit silly .I said a while ago that I may have been put off doing next years edinburgh because of the problems.I was having a mad moment.I have always had the attitude that no matter what anyone says I will try something for myself first anyway.I have ,of course ,done edinburgh,and due to my own tactically bad running blew up and always said I would return to rectify what I did wrong in the race.I have more than once had someone say to me 'don't do that race because of etc.etc..Two years ago one of my running colleagues told me how much he disliked the Torbay half marathon (Devon) and what have you.I ran it myself and loved it.So Edinburgh 2010 HERE WE COME!!!!! 

• LOL Kiwi pops in an the talks turns back to running.... I dunno - you;d think were were on some kind of sport related forum or sumthin ;o)

I'm waiting on OH to get back from Asda with a cheap curry for me imageimage

Think I'll try a wee run tomorrow image First since Sunday although I have walked to work a few times.

• Hmmmm think you are cruising for a bruising DCB, short maybe but very knowledgeble of places to kick tall people image  and with a v-e-r-y long memory image

stuffed with Pizza so feeling a little guilty, but yummy image

• Sorry SMOUT,I should have known better.Sincere apologies all round.Curries arrived,YUMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just been watching the cricket with my daughter (yes! she likes cricket!!!) and England have lost to HOLLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing 

• Dont really do cricket but that was really funny.  image
  • No curry for me tonight Kiwis, I've made some deeeeeeeliscious chilli instead image 

Hell I earned it tonight too. 2 mile races suck and I suck at them image  Mind you I didn't do tooooooo bad considering my thighs were mashed after the hills last night. Think my time was 16:10. Won't be winning any prizes for that one eh?? image  

So Kiwis, when are we starting up the Edinburgh Marathon 2010 thread image  Anyone else fancy another crack??

Smout, you're an inspiration. I used pregnancy as an excuse to stuff my face and sit on my ass image  Good on you!!!

Smiffie you're still refuelling after Sunday so no need to feel guilty image Hope Callum enjoyed his pizza too and is suitably stuffed.

Hiya everyone else image

Glad to hear your race isn't til next week Soph !!

Enjoy your run tomorrow Bungee image  Still looking for a Loch Ness plan myself but think I might just ad-lib for now and do 'proper' stuff in a few weeks.

• Didn't New Zealand lose to the Aussie's this week Kiwi?  i wouldn't be crowing about the English loss in cricket. image
  • Regarding toes..........

I ran the marathon on sunday and now my toes are minging! 4 of 5 on my right foot were black, bruised, swollwen and sore and 2 on my left foot. Today 2 nails fell off completely and they were about 3mm thick. I couldn't wear shoes for 3 days after the marathon - lucky the weather was good. Im weary about getting back to the training (doing the jog scotland 5k on 30th June which I want to be a fast one). The pain is subsiding but dont want to cause further damage - especially to the ones with no nails. To run or not to run? What would you guys do?

• Well done on the race Bedshaped, cracking. image  LoL @ sitting on your ass and stuffing your face while pregnant.

I always fancy a crack at Edinburgh.  Personally I think that if there'd been a water theft at a few of the other high profile events in this country that there would be a fair few questions about some of their organisational errors too?  So, I'll stand by and support the Ed marathon.

• LOL I tried the keep running and you won't gain tooooo much weight, it didn't work image Stayed relativly fit, ran 3 halfs in 6 weeks around 5mths gone..... so gutted when I got on the scales......

B-u-t it did keep me sane, remember those huge ball things you see people going down hills inside at Centre Parks, my dad was convinced by kids would be born runnng round in circles. 

Just keep your working heart rate down Smout and continue to enjoy image

• Jenny, if your feet are that bad, you have the wrong shoes and need a new gait analysis and assessment.  Foam pads for the toes, new shoes and get running gal!! image
  • Cheers,

Was looking at those toe protectors from an earlier post, are they re-usable or just a 1 use type of thing. Will give them a go at least till my nails grow back. Ive treated myself to body shop revitalising foot stuff. Its great! 

I intend to do some xtraining in thg gym on sunday and getting back to the jog club next week. Providing the toes hold out.

I didnt get my photo at the end with my medal either - I thought maybe it was a guy from the newspaper who took it rather than the marathon photographer.

• Jenny, the toe protectors are washable and re-usable.
  • Great!

Thanks again.

Im off to watch Jonathan Ross now. Have a good weekend. 

• I hasten to add SOPHSTER there is a big difference  in losing to the aussies and losing to Holland.Which reminds me of a certain match on tomorrow between  New Zealand and  .....   um ......... SCOTLAND!! 10.00 am.Me and the daughter will be glued to the TV for 3 hours.

Enjoy the chili BEDSHAPED??

I am up for an Edinburgh 2010 thread!!!!!

This last year since 2008 has gone so quickly.It will be 2010 before you know it.It would be nice to get back up North  of the border.I can catch up with our friends from Lockerbie again. 

• Kiwis is it underwater cricket? as it might be the only version to get played!!!!!
  • I'm not sure if it was underwater or not.  I did see Paul Collingwood and Stuart Broad doing a Reggie Perrin into the Thames after the last over so it might have been.

www.letsalllaughatengland.com image

I didn't want to move house last year and am of a similar thought for this year.  This has become a nice and social place where friends can meet and a lot more than a single race forum.  Even this year some folk ran, as many didn't and 1 did something in between image  I do feel bad that some folk set up rival edinburgh forums (actually instigated by the organisers!!!!!!) mainly because they were sick listening to us and thought maybe we should just stay put and allow other forums to be set up.  The only appeal to a new thread is to entice more folk like Dippycat, Adie and cavehill who have become members of the family in the last year and would be missed if they hadn't joined us.  I propose therefore we set up a new forum for Edinburgh marathon runners past and present and continue our abundance of irregular and largely irrelevant chat and unofficial running club.  Life's a much better place with you lot on side. image

Hope to see you in wor new hoose!!!!!!!!

• Is that your Oscar speech Can - I liked it image I like our wee family and we should give other folks the opportunity to see it an join in image

Here's to 2010 image

gulp..... i'll be a mum by then image
  • Aw Can you are soooo sweet even when you are being a champion stirrer lol.... I've moved now, just need to the fridge stocked with alcohol beveridges and the tea caddy stocked with.... tea!
  • New home, like this one.  Guess new home could be new sub 3:30 campaign image

Awwww Caniggia33, have a group (((((hug)))))

• I like this one too smiffie but we are just moving to bigger, better and more exclusive premises!!!!!!!  This one is a basement flat in Gorgie the one I've got is a swanky penthouse overlooking Unter der Linden sorted out for the new one.  It should inspire both us to run fab in Berlin image 

The fridge is also filled with blackforest gateaux and becks beer just to get us used to German cuisine before we go image

• Could the last one read the leccy meter. image

http://www.easier.com/myads/images/151201-1.jpg

• WELL Done Scotland.We have won the cricket match,however Scotland gave us quite a fright!!!
  • hello all,

I was gonna go on the injuries thingy but ive figured you all are pretty seasoned and know what youre on about!  I did my 1st little 2 mile run yesterday as my toes been a bit sore, now ive got pain, a constant dull ache, worse when walking,under my foot, mostly on the ball and radiating back not quite to the heal.  its getting worse as the day goes on. 

any ideas from the font of knowledgeimage

ps sorry for the shite grammer

• possibly a bit of plantar facist or whatever its posh name is.  Its a kind of tenonitis that you can get in the tendons that go from the heal and forward to the tootsies.  the fact you have not got it is a specific place suggests its prob not a stress fracture.  A few more days rest may not go a miss as it might just be a knock on from your calves and things being a bit tight after last week.  Dont overdo it but try lots of stretches for your foot and calf muscles pulling back your toes etc and hopefully you will be back to normal soon.  Hope you are 100% again soon and its good enough for you to hobble to our new house. image
  • Caniggia33 stop talking about running RIGHT NOW image

OK if I can have a hammock in new house I'll switch over image