Advice on the Victory 5

Comments

• Yesterday - 3.75mi untimed, easy run on hilly course
    Today - 10.52mi - 1hr 26 mins, hilly course

Just to clarify, the 15 miles was on friday.

Total for week was around 45, my highest ever weekly mileage. So pretty pleased with this all round.

Going to take it easier for the next 5-6 days in the run-up to the GNR.
  • Definitely no training Saturday... and i'm running the GNR within my limits to help pace my mum.

Any suggestions from anyone on what training to do this week?

• Today:

6 miles very easy... about 55 minutes
  • In a weird mood today. Not enough sleep and been eating crap.

For fun:
    1 mile warmup
    1 mile TT - 5'56"
    1/2 mile warmdown

all done on a hilly course in windy conditions.

Fin.
  • No running today, just 60-90 minutes faffing around in the sea at Bournemouth trying to teach myself to bodyboard.

Not so good when you don't have fins.

Not sure what to do tomorrow... 10k? 10M? Who knows.
  • Thanks for all the feedback as ever, guys.

Today: 10.2M, hilly, 1hr 21m 11s

felt like total crap throughout!
  • Didn't get through any training yesterday.. think im on a sub-conscious wind-down to the GNR.

Flying to Newcastle in 2 hours!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

blimey...not many other opinions to help you out on this thread!

i'd go along with the patience line someone earlier mentioned. Personally speaking I've gone from an irregular 25isha  week to increasingly...a  regular 50mile a week.

I've seen a 10k pb from about 6 weeks of this...and in fact since adopting my at least 40 a weekl programme back in July my last 3 10ks have gone 39.03, 38.34 and then 38:24. So it's going in the right direction and I should be pretty sure of a 5mile pb to beat the 30:40 i did in 2006 the next race i do at that distance.

I suppose the key is months and months (maybe 6months upwards)at a regular schedule that incorporates key sessions like a long run...speedwork and hillwork..without pushing too hard that you lose time to injury.

are you doing regular races in between training blocks to see how the training is affecting times?

• I haven't been, because I was wary of getting injured for the GNR. I've got the GSR in 3 weeks, then the "Last friday of the month 5k" in Hyde park, 5 days after that. I also have the Victory 5 in December and the Stubbington 10k in January.

Hopefully all of these will show some results from sticking with Marmite's suggested 45mpw schedule.

GNR:
    2:11ish.... pretty awful experience, spent the whole time overtaking about 20,000 people!! Thanks to all of those who lied about your start times image you ruined the day for me.

On the saturday I shook Mo Farah's hand whilst he was warming up for the elite men's Great North Mile!! I was so happy I could barely speak for an hour. He went on to win in 4'11", beating the Kenyan runner who currently holds the 3000m steeplechase record. GO MO!
  • Today:
    very easy 60 mins on the treadmill. 5.7 miles. Felt lovely at the end and had a good stretch! Should be back to hard training by thursday i reckons.
  • Another easy 5-6 miles today... still not fully recovered from sunday.
  • Totally... apathetic to that run. Didn't feel like anything.

Still feel various bits of stiffness from Sunday, not really sure how to take it. I'm half in the mind to do the prescribed 10 miler tomorrow (with 10k-pace intervals) and half-minded to just take a day of complete rest.

Another concern is not putting on any weight before the GSR.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

do you want to be putting on weight? even in muscle?

i'm 11stone ish for 6ft 1 and a typically weasledy running build and am slightly shocked the only guy in my club who beats me is  9stone at 6ft! He is 17 though so maybe the filling out will come.

Now that sounds a bit too light for that height!

• I'm 143lbs at the moment (10st 3lbs, dunno what it is in kg)

What I meant was, I don't want to be any heavier. At 5'9", I probably want to be between 135 and 140.

I'm not too hot on diets/prescribed eating though.
  • Nothing thursday/friday. Knees feel a bit sore, probably got back into it too quickly after GNR.

8 Miles on sat and possibly 15 on sunday.

• 8 Miles today.. in some shape or form!

• Yesterday - 8.75 miles in 69 minutes. Felt pretty awful throughout, but was running on only 2 hours sleep.

Today, gonna go for 15 miles... but knees are pretty sore from yesterday... so will see what happens
  • Oh... forgot to mention. Set a new half-mara PB during that training run... 1'38'55"
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice work son.Nothing better than some pbs to encourage the training continuation.

set a pb of my own yesterday...did 37:28 at Henley 10k. There was also a half marathon on at same time..but managed to come 2nd out of about 300 and trim almost a minute off my 10k pb in one go..despite having to trawl through 100s of the back end half marathoners.

Perfect day? Not quite...guy who won..by about 30secs got a lovely trophy and £50 vouchers and i got jack for 2nd!

Also, the clowns didn't bother to record the results properly! That is more motivation to quickly beat that pb and actually have it in some results somewhere methinks!

• 37mins won a  10K race Stevie?...It wouldn't get you in the top 20 (top 40 in the better races) around here mate!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's all relative prefontaine...and you have to take into account there was a half marathon on at the same time...so there would have been about 30 people who could have done sub 37 there if in the lower distance race.

However, in most 10ks I've seen out of 200-300 people...sub 40 seems to sneak into the top 10.

Obviously the bigger the field the more better runners around.

Until i get better...ie nearer 35-36 minutes..i prefer the smaller races thanks!lol

• Good work Stevie G.... impressive placing and a great 10k PB! That's the kind of time I can only dream of.

I definitely agree that pb's help with the training continuation.

Prefontaine: Give me some bloody advice man and stop insulting everyone else!
  • I was on about the smaller races Stevie!

Advice Paul!......Wheres your quality?....A young lad like you should be concentrating on your VOmax, I think I've seen your 5k PB at 19.5mins. Therefore, I want to see you do a 6 X 800m, with 90secs recovery at your 5K pace, which would be 3' 07". Do it, tell me how you felt. 10mins warm/cool.

• Might give that one a go tomorrow/thursday. I hate 800m repeats. I hate them like few other things in this world. But I definitely need speed if i'm gonna get under 70 minutes on the 26th October.

Next weekend i'm gonna start winding down towards the GSR, so i'm gonna do a 10 mile time trial of sorts on sunday and nothing on saturday (except for the fitness test at the police assessment centre, and a 10 mile bike ride with my girlfriend).

Any suggestions what I should be doing next week anyone?

• Youch! I've just noticed you said with 90 seconds recovery.

That will be an arsehole of a session. Especially as the only measured 800m I can use is a hilly one on the streets!

• Disappointing session today:

1 mile easy warmup

then

6 x 800m:
    2'58"
    3'04"
    3'15"
    3'09"
    3'12"
    3'23
    "

Disappointed that I couldn't keep all of these under 3'07". The 90 second recovery really did make it a tough session. And it wasn't on a track, it was on a measured 800m route that is quite hilly.

Still, all in all a good workout.
  • Well done Paul, it looks like you struggled a little. These are the sessions in which you will reap alot of benefit, especially for the half and less. If I was you I would try to do one of these sessions a week, vary it a little and adjust the time accordingly. 5 X 1K with 2mins recovery, 8 X 600m with 60 secs recovery, and when you are feeling strong, 4 X 1 mile with 3/4mins recovery.

I've adjusted these recoveries to suit you, your target should be to either speed up or to reduce the recovery. For example, the session you did today, you should be aiming for a 60 secs recovery, or getting  all the reps under 3mins off of 90secs.

Try and keep the pace  at about 3K for the 600s, 5K pace for the 800m/1Km, and 5mile pace for the mile intervals.

• and not a swear word in sight ....