10.04 miles in 77 minutes
  • My plan for the week

Monday: Rest day - 9 hours sleep!
    Tuesday: 4mi AM, club run PM
    Wednesday: 6mi PM
    Thursday: 4mi AM, 4mi PM
    Friday: Rest!
    Saturday: Rest!
    Sunday: Race! - Great South Run (10 miles)

Should total around 32 miles, which i'll be quite happy with. Then a slightly mixed up week next week (got the Serpentine running club last-friday-of-the-month race, which should be a decent 5k).

Next week:

Monday: Rest! Recovery from GSR
    Tuesday: 4mi AM, club run PM
    Wednesday: 6mi PM
    Thursday: 4mi AM, 4mi PM
    Friday: 5k Race @ midday
    Saturday: 4mi AM
    Sunday: 14mi progression run

Totalling around 43 miles... might stick in another run on the saturday if I feel like it.

• 70 or under... ideally. I'm not sure my prep for the last few months has been ideal though.

Doing only 4 sessions a week focused more on quality, but I felt like I was struggling to recover from a couple of them... and that it would ultimately limit my mileage.

Do you think the previous format looked better then?
  • Actually more to the point, for the standard i'm at, what should my quality sessions consist of?
  • Next week REVISED:

Monday: Rest! Recovery from GSR
    Tuesday: 5mi AM easy, club run PM
    Wednesday: 5mi easy PM or AM
    Thursday: 5mi AM easy, 1mi warmup, 3 mi speedwork, 0.5mi warmdown PM
    Friday: 5k Race @ midday
    Saturday: 4mi easy followed by 10 x 100m AM
    Sunday: 15mi progression run

Approx. 47-48ish miles for the week..... i'm counting the 5k race on friday as a tempo run! As a 5k for me is basically 19-20 minutes of running very hard. Other than that, 4 easy runs, 1 long run, 1 club run and some speed work. As far as the club run goes, it's totally flexible as to how hard I want to try (there's 50-odd people at the club ranging from 5mm wonders all the way down to 12mm plodders)

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Hi Paul.

I'm impressed with the amount of thought you're putting into this.  Plenty of good advice already given by runners far more able and experienced than myself, so what I'm about to say may not add much to that.  Much of my training logic is inspired by the writings of Pfitzinger and Douglas (who stole with pride from Jack Daniels), and I recommend getting hold of one of their books if you can.  They include more detailed schedules and background information that I'm sure you'd find interesting.  Anyway P&D would suggest three main points:

1. Identify the key sessions - long run, VO2max, tempo
       2. Spread them around the week.  Try to avoid back-to-back hard sessions (long runs, VO2max and tempo sessions should all be considered 'hard')
       3. Add easy/recovery runs and x-training as time permits. 

Long runs should be progressively-paced.  Start at 9 min/mile gradually picking the pace up to 8 min/mile.  Avoid the temptation to run any faster.  Some VO2max suggestions have already been made - 6x800, 5x1200, 4x1600 - all good sessions.  Run these at around 5K pace and try and run them evenly-paced.  Tempo running for you will be around 7 min/mile.  A good tempo session will have a decent warm-up followed by 20-40 minutes of tempo-paced running, preferably in a continuous stint, but 3 x 8 minutes (3 min recovery) or 2 x 15 minutes (3 min recovery) are reasonable alternatives if you find tempo running difficult initially.

Spread these three sessions around the week.  Avoid the temptation to cram everything into 3-4 days.  Better to drop one of the sessions if life gets in the way.  There is little point in attempting a tempo run on tired legs - you won't do the session justice.

Adding easy miles to the schedule is good.  Nothing will improve your running quite like running.  But if the knees are feeling battered or the weather is rubbish and you fancy spending some time in the gym or in the pool, then do that instead.  If you do run, make sure it is definitely an easy pace - the purpose of this easy running is recovery, increasing the blood flow through tired muscles and helping prepare them for the next hard session.  I would suggest nothing quicker than 9 min/mile pace.  Any faster and the next day's work session could suffer.  One of these easy runs could include some 100m strideouts to improve legspeed and running economy.

Very best of luck.

• Thank you kindly for the thoughts! Very much appreciated when people take as much time as this to give me advice.
  • Last night: 5mi club run, easy

This morning: 5 mi easy run on my own! Was bloody freezing.
  • Done nothing since wednesday... had tight hips so just stretched and taken it easy. No time left for any training now!

I'm going for under 70 tomorrow.
  • Sleep seems to be a huge factor. I feel terrible and perform terribly on less than 7 hours sleep a night. I feel significantly better and perform in accordance with what i'd expect on around 9 hours.

I might just have to be more anti-social to get more sleep...
  • The elite men's/masses start was 14 minutes after Paula went off image I believe she was somewhere around 3 miles in by the time I was away!

New 10M PB: 1'09'50"

Probably the hardest race i've ever run though. And the weather was bloody awful.
  • Yeah... but I was pacing my mum (a 9-10minute miler) for the GNR... so I never expected to knock out anything great for that.

I want 32 or under for the victory 5.

Based on today, what do you reckon on the odds?
  • Looked at my splits? For what?

I felt like i'd need a hip replacement between 7 and 8 miles.... just kinda gritted my teeth and clung onto the pace..
  • OH! I wondered how the hell you got them. But I suddenly realised you can search by name.. and that my forum name is my real name! lol.

It was definitely one of the hardest, if not THE hardest race i've done. But it felt like a psychological struggle as much as anything. I think I had the fitness to do my time, but just simply wasn't accustomed to running at that pace.

I'm considering trying to work on stuff like splitting a 10k into 3-4 sections and running them all at goal pace with a recovery time half that of each of the splits. I don't do nearly enough volume at race pace.
  • I might give that 3 x ....session a go. But actually try and cover 10k in the 3 segments.

The only problem with doing the speedwork is lack of a track nearby. My only local one (8-9 miles away} is currently being bulldozed and resurfaced. And all of the routes round near me are criss-crossed by roads (stopping in the middle of a 400 to cross a road isn't great!) and are generally quite hilly.

Hmmmmm...
  • It's just the flat-ness that's the problem. My whole area is quite hilly. I know that's fine for longer runs and hill reps, but on speedwork its just a bit annoying.
  • Good work at the GSR Paul - nice to dip under 70 mins.

Njord, you mention the importance of spreading your three key sessions evenly throughout the week. Do you think it's an issue doing my speedwork on a Tuesday, tempo on a saturday and long run on a sunday? Previously I was doing my tempo on the Thursday, but found that my legs were still tired after Tuesday's track session.

I know the new approach will take the edge of my long run but as I'm training for 5ks and 10ks is that such an issue? I'm still able to do 11 miles at a decent pace (10-15 per cent slower than HM pace).

• Nothing since sunday... far too much stiffness and DOMS lingering.

Gonna give some weights/cycling a go today at the gym. Got the Serpentine RC "Last friday of the month" 5k in Hyde Park on friday. Should be a good setup for a fast time, given how well the GSR went.
  • Hit the gym yesterday... haven't done weights in a while so hurting for it today!

Resting today in preparation for that 5k. (Resting with DOMS is almost worse than training anyway)