Cyclists' rant thread

Comments

• I dont play bridge Thunder Catimage

Roads were built for cars and motorcycles, not pedestrians or bikes.

Pedestrians have the pavement. Bikes have nothing...shame

You gotta learn to be disagreed with and have the pissed ripped out of you.

Its good for the soul.

Tatty Bye

• Roads were originally buit for people on foot, horses & horse driven vehicles.
  • so do some cyclists to be fair
  • Funnily enough I was forced off  my bike just before 6am this morning on my way to the station..  It was xlearly intentional as there was nothing else on the road adn I was in a safe secondary position.  Quite surprisingly the police are interested as I was able to give them the first part of teh registration and the time and place the lorry stopped to collect a rubbish skip.  Hopefully the driver will be punished.

Oh and before anyone says anything I have a night vision jacket on, a 2 led light on my helmet, a further 8led light at the back coupled with a 140 lumen light which puts a 10m spread on the road.  1000 lumens out the front as well.

Does it make al drivers idiot? No.  

• someone (a taxi driver)tried to ram me while I had my toddler on the back of my bike.  Clearly intentional, witnessed by a driving instructor who stopped to make sure we were both ok.

I don't hate all taxi drivers.......

just that one image

• No Gumps, you just gotta accept that the roads were built for skip lorries
  • I wouldn't object to paying for the wear and tear I cause to road surfaces as a cyclist. Perhaps 50p a decade might cover it?

I don't defend the bad behaviour of lots of cyclist at all. I regularly have 'discussions' with other cyclists about them going through red lights when pedestrians are trying to cross etc.

• True oxy. They could be useful for chucking all the cyclist scum in?
  • Pain is inevitable suffering is optional wrote (see)

I dont play bridge Thunder Catimage

Roads were built for cars and motorcycles, not pedestrians or bikes.

Pedestrians have the pavement. Bikes have nothing...shame

You gotta learn to be disagreed with and have the pissed ripped out of you.

Its good for the soul.

Tatty Bye

What a prat.
  • I was thinking of a different 4 letter word
  • Yep I think that's the one.
  • I aspire to being able to cycle furiously first let alone being booked for it!
  • A pedant writes: There is no road tax; there is Vehicle Excise Duty. You pay lower VED for smaller, more efficient cars not those which cause less damage tothe roads / make more use of the roads. Money for road repair comes from general taxation.
  • i read somewhere that the more cyclists there are on the road the safer they are. ie if the motorist gets used to seeing them regularly they will learn to keep a lookout for them. safety is my biggest concern but i try not to let it put me off cycling to work. MORE CYCLE PATHS PLEASE.
  • i read somewhere that the more cyclists there are on the road the safer they are. ie if the motorist gets used to seeing them regularly they will learn to keep a lookout for them. safety is my biggest concern but i try not to let it put me off cycling to work. MORE CYCLE PATHS PLEASE.
  • that one posted twice, sorry, on another thread it didnt appear at all
  •  As one of the cyclists that car drivers hate .. ( I go through red lights,  up pavements break speed limits etc ) I know I do these things with my safety in mind. I am a very vulnerable target I like to ride over 1 m from the kerb and get to where I am going with the fewest clip and unclips as possible (yes I do still wobble as I start )

The reason drivers hate us is that we are taking what they see as their territory invading there fast moving little worlds and to their minds we have NO right to be there.

I dont want cycle paths unless they connect to somewhere useful, I just want to be given safe passage on a road. If I take a stupid risk and somthing goes wrong I will take responsibility for that but dont stop me filtering left on a red light rather than stop next to the GTi revving its engine to get away from the lights and trying to see if he can clip me with his wing mirror as he screams away

RANT ENDS

• I dont commute to work by bike, but I've never felt the need to ride through a red light. It'd only pee off the drivers of cars, and an angry driver is worse than a normal driver.
  • SluMdot, if you want to be treated like an equal on the road by a car driver then you have to obey the same rules they do.

In my experience car drivers will be more courteous and give you more room if you obey the rules of the road. By running red lights all that does is wind drivers up.

Cyclists can't bitch about being badly treated by drivers if they don't give a flying monkey themselves. image

• I try never to cycle through red lights either, but was forced to go through a pedestrian light last Friday cos a car driver was right up my arse and I sensed was not gonna stop...luckily it was a wide road, the peds were on the far right hand side and hadnt noticed the light had changed so hadnt stepped out, I shot through clearly on the red, immediately followed by the wazzock in the car behind me, who seemed oblivious to both me and the pedestrians......

I have also been stopped at traffic lights on a four way junction, and had car drivers wave at me from the opposite side of the junction, telling me to come on and turn right when our lights are all on red. What annoys me most about this is I couldnt see what was coming the other way and neither could they! And Its a bloody red light for Gods Sake......is that whats known as 'incitement to break the law'?!!

But one of my main rants...which someone has mentioned already....is these bloody 'cycle paths' that put you on the same footpath as the pedestrians...then disappear..then reappear in the middle of the road under the motorway flyover! Come to Glasgow...this is what Glasgow City Council calls an 'integrated cycle route'....aye, right!

• I don't do it, well not often but I can see slummo's point with regard to lights.

I feel most vulnerable at a road junction.  I make a point of stopping as far forward on a junction I can so gives me the extra 2-3 m's head start when the lights turn green, then your not so worried about people truning across you and your up to pace clipped in by the time most of the cars come past.

However if the point at which most cyclists get hit ie lights and junctions then going through on red when you deem it safe makes sense. If I f**k it up and misjudge it then I get hit by a car and get no sympathy cos I went through on red.......no one else gets hurt, well perhaps a dent in a bumper. If a car does this which I have never done but see as many cars as cyclists doing it then they are going to kill. someone.

*waits for abuse*

• I just wish that all road users would follow the rules: cyclists, drivers (including buses, trucks, taxis, white vans, small red cars in a hurry.....), motorcyclists (who surely deserve a special rant devoted solely to them) and PEDESTRIANS. There aren't enough horses on the roads around here for me to pass judgement on them but I have noticed that cars in Richmond Park tend to give them a wide berth. Wonder why?
  • cos they make a hell of a lot of damage when they sit on your bonnet.