Midnight Sun Marathon 2009 - 20 June 2009

Comments

• I've a Norwegian keyboard at work but you can also get it using the ascii code - hold down Alt and type 0248 on the keypad - make sure Num Lock is on.

I got a certificate from the Midnight Sun Marathon today - just what I wanted an A4 reminder of my marathon PW.  Maybe I stick it on the wall as an incentive to train for next year.

• Cheers JF - that has allowed me to spell Tromsø properly on my Facebook countdown image
  • Hi all.Hi anisoara,I will also be pencilling in the Marathon for 2010 as this year I thought it was a great experience! But next year I have to many other races on.
  • Kiwi - cool that you will re-do. Are you really a Kiwi? (I have rellies in New Plymouth - never been, but I have heard it's the armpit of New Zealand?).

I am officially starting my marathon training on Monday. This week has been another write off. I have lost my mojo a bit and need to find. I was aiming to start Saturday but we are due heavy snow, apparently.

• Yes,I am a kiwi.However have lived in the U.K. for 21 years.I come from a place called Wanganui.New Plymouth is not the most attractive of places,unlike some of our other cities.e.g. Wellington is a fantastic place to live.

I am starting my FLM training this weekend also.It will soon come round 

• Is Wanganui North or South Island then? I have heard South Island is most spectacular.  I have a number of friends who spent ski seasons in Queenstown - I never had the sense and now I am too old with too many responsibilities to do it.image
  • Wanganui is about 2 hours by car up the West Coast from Wellington on the North Island.The South Island is incredible.Loads of mountains and lakes.Pity you couldn't have gone too.Maybe one day.
  • Yeah, maybe one day - when the kids have flown the nest. By then I will have earned my right to a sabbatical so OH and I are planning an Australia/ NZ trip then because neither of us have ever been. We also want to slip in some of the Pacific Islands on the way back, especially New Caledonia and Tahiti.

This thread isn't doing too badly given that it is an obscure event for UK runnersimage

• Keep us posted.I am sure you will love it.New Zealand and Australia are 2 completely different countries.People still make the same mistake thinking that they are practically the same place.There is a 1,000 miles of sea between us and a different time zone.Geographically they could not be more different.Besides the Aussies have a funny accent!!
  • I thought it was the Kiwis whose accent was odd with their clipped vowels.image

Still haven't started my training for MSM.image In fact I seem to have lost my running mojo which isn't the best of timing...

• Hi Guys,

Also looking to enter this one, but possibly just the half marathon, haven't yet decided. I have brittle legs and injure easily, so am nursing myself to do the Tunbridge Wells half marathon in Feb 09. If all works out ok, I'm defo looking this one as either my first whole marathon or a real nice weekend away and a half marathon.

Anyone know when entries would have to be in by? From the looks of it, it seems a small race and I'd imagine you can make decisions quite late (accommodation, I can see, is probably another consideration altogether...) 

Cheers

• Hi Lungs - more the merrier [purrrleaassee do it].

I reckon you probably can leave it until late. There were only 417 finishers this year. Worth dropping them an email to see how late you can leave it. See link below.

http://www.msm.no/index.php?id=4513616

• Welcome Lungs,

You can enter right up to the start of the race.

• Thanks guys. Sounds like good news. Wish my weak legs well and I'll be there with yer!
  • BTW, not happy about talking to a Villa fan after what you did to us last weekend...
  • You a gooner Lungs?image

You seem to be getting it done to you quite a lot this seasonimage.

• You think you,ve got problems! At least you are in the right division.I support Ipswich!!!

Anyway,we gave the Aussies a stuffing in the Rugby League World Cup final on Saturday.And on their own turf.It was a major upset.I am still soaking it in.It was WONDERFUL.Our boys will be given the freedom of the country.

Hi Lungs,you'll love the marathon!!

• Hi Kiwi - you'll have a lot of fun playing against our shower in the RU this week. I can hardly bear to watch.

I'm really dead excited about doing this race. I was going to do a local marathon in May but this sounds much more my thing. Have to make sure we're there the day after for a rather expensive beer.

• The rugby has been depressing. We have been a right bunch of fannies. I was well pleased the Kiwis beat the Ozzies thoughimageimageimage

Lungs - are you going to make a weekend of it in Tromsø? I am there Saturday - Tuesday.

• Cheers guys! I love beating the Aussies.

Lungs.I am not doing the race this year as I have too many others on.However I have pencilled it in for 2010.I did it this year.I loved it.The scenery is pretty awesome.Just how I expected Norway to be.

• Have you done MSM once before Kiwi? When?

I really need to get my mojo back. Is there such a thing as a marathon training plan on one run a month?image

• One run a month! OK for starters and after a gradual build up you'll be right as rain by about 2017.

• Hi Blithburysloth,I did the msm this year.I think you may find you will need to do a bit more than one run a month.Still plenty of time.
  • I fancy this but saw the RW price of £750 for the trip, never been to Norway before and no idea of prices. If I arranged my own trip what sort of price could I be looking at for flight (or indeed other transport) and hotel?

R

• Kiwi - yeah, I realise that - was being flippant. I did FLM 2003 in 3 hrs 58 mins and that was on 4 - 5 runs per week. I think I need to start upping my mileage.image

Richard - I think it is a case of the sooner you book up the better. I managed to get flights a few weeks ago with norwegian http://www.norwegian.no/sw22123.asp for £120 return London to Tromsø direct but it is now showing up as Euros (how do I do a euros sign???) 273. Norwegian only fly Saturdays and Tuesdays so no choice but to fly out on the same day as the race and not come back until the Tuesday. SAS are the other operator but they were substantially more expensive when I checked. I have hotel accommodation for the 3 nights for about £300 but I am going to search around for a cheaper hotel (when I get round to it) - I just heard the hotels book up quickly and wanted to make sure I had something. When you are in Norway I understand it is expensive too.

• Richard - in terms of other transport, I checked the ferry (living in Newcastle as I do) but the Newcastle - Norway ferry no longer operates. Tbh, I don't think it would be cheaper anyway as it's a good old drive up to Tromsø from Kristiansand or Oslo.
  • There is a hostel a bit away from the middle of town equivalent of a youth hostel, any age and a few places show up with google maps e.g. hotels in Tromsø lists several, any of which except perhaps I would be convenient, right in the middle of town. IIRC I stayed at the Ami once. Let me know if you need any Norwegian translating, but nearly everyone speaks English
  • Hi all.We stayed in the Polar Thon hotel.Which was just a stones throw from the Start.It was basic but comfortable.Probably a good 2 star standard.It was also clean.I would love next time to stay in the SAS Radisson hotel.This was very nice and again central.We had the prize giving there.No idea of the cost.But it would be the one to stay in.Maybe in 2010.
  • I found this  http://www.hotellnord.no/english/index.html fairly cheap and easy to book, never stayed there though.

Steve, do you stay in Norway - where about ? or should that be hvor bor duimage.  I'm in Jar on the west side of Oslo.

• Hi JF I live in Halden. I'll be in Oslo tomorrow for a christmas dinner image and some shopping. Definitely doing the Oslo forest mara in 2009 and a few others. Maybe we will meet somewhere. If someone wants to see Tromsø in winter instead of summer there is always the Polar night half-marathon coming up on Jan 4th 2009 image