Midnight Sun Marathon 2009 - 20 June 2009

1235»

Comments

• Is anyone else doing this run? I am doing it alone so it would be good to hook up with others.
  • image looks like it JF though I have had an email from someone else who is intending to go aloneimage. Are you still doing it?
  • I'll be there.  What distance I run is another question. 

If it wasn't for the fact it's £6 a pint I might just give up and spend the night in the pub instead

• KNow what you mean. I have to confess i did email the organisers the other day asking if it is possible to switch to the half marathon and how late one can do thatimage
  • I don't think you'll have a problem switching distances if you want to, from my experience the Norwegians are fairly laid back about things like that.  As registration is open up until the start of the race you can probably wait until you get to Tromsø before you make a decision.

Problem with the half is you miss the more scenic part of the course and the bridge.

• JF - am thinking of entering this marathon. How flat/undulating is the course? I realsie the bridge will be a bit of an uphill bit but looking at the course profile online it doesnt look too bad? what is the rest of the route like?
  • Hi Jovi - It's not completely flat but apart from around the bridge I don't remember anything I would call a hill, then again I have done my best to forget about last years race.  Even the bridge is not as daunting as it appears on the profile.
  • Hi Jovi - are you still thinking of doing it this year?imageimage
  • JF wrote (see)
    I don't think you'll have a problem switching distances if you want to, from my experience the Norwegians are fairly laid back about things like that.  As registration is open up until the start of the race you can probably wait until you get to Tromsø before you make a decision.

Yes they said can I decide on the day, but the sooner they know the better. I feel a bit defeatist to say it but I think half-mara is looking more and more likely.image

• BBS - still considering it - along with Edinburgh or Stockholm - will only do one of them - just trying to make decision as to which one I do! This one is my preference although my budget is leaning more towards Edinburgh image

• Yeah Jovi, if I had decided from a financial viewpoint, I'd be doing Edinburgh instead too.image I am about to lauch my fundraising at work.image I have been holding off because I am gonna feel like I can't convert to the half mara if I advertise for fundraising but on other hand, that's maybe the incentive I need? Who knows?
  • BBS - which charity are you running for. Do you have a just giving page?

• Finally, I'm all booked in now! It's taken me some time to sort out the logistics of getting there but I've finally got my act together to do it. I'm flying from Manchester via Brussels (!) and Oslo and staying at the one hotel with a vacancy - the Thon Hotel Polar. So if anyone fancies meeting up for a pre-race drink or carb-load, please get in touch. image
  • Sorry guys but due to injury and total lack of motivation as a result I have ditched all plans to do this. I'd offer my flight but don't think it's transferable because it was a cheapo one with norwegian. Is anyobody looking for accommodation before I cancel that?
  • BBS - Sorry things haven't been going well and you wont make Tromsø, I can sympathise with the injury and motivation problems.  I'm at the opposite end of the cycle, I've seem to have rediscovered my enthusiasm, the snow and ice have mostly cleared and I managed to run outside this week.  Not very far, not fast and not quite pain free but certainly the best I've felt since November.  All too late for the marathon but still an outside chance of the half.

BTW check the Norwegian ticket T & C's they are usually transferable - at a price of course.

• Only two months to go

Anybody on for meeting up on the Saturday, either something to eat before the race or a drink after

• Hi all, sorry I haven't been around for a wee while. Who is still doing this? I can't run as I have had surgery this week and will not be fit to race but I am still going. I am flying to Oslo on the 15th to stay with family and then on to Tromso on the Friday. My cousin is running the 10k and a few friends are doing the half. I would love a get together if anyone is up for it on the saturday but will be cheering you all on regardless! Hope someone checks this before the big day......best of luck all, Carol x
  • Its not far away now and thought I would add a bit to this. I'm going again this year (5th time) and looking forward to the run - the route is scenic and flat (round the coast road most of the way apart from a little hill over the bridge (is it 400m in a km climb? - feels like it). So certainly PB potential.

Just wondering who is defenatly going and when you are all arriving. I'm going alone this year so would be good to have some company somewhere in the weekend/.

I'm going on a round-about route from Edinburgh via Copenhagen and Trondheim - arriving just past 9 in the evening on the Friday. The way home is worse via Heathrow image ! I'll be staying in the Thon Polar hotel - right on the route (in the first 200m!) so if any one fancies a beer then let us know

Twinksy - I'll look forward to seeing you cheering me on. Will you still be there on Sunday morning or is the cheering part of the deal just for those of use finishing on the same day we started?

• Hi Steve!

I will be arriving in Tromso on Friday 19th at about 2pm and will be leaving on the Sunday about 9pm ish and we are staying at the Quality Hotel Saga. There will be myself, my dh and my cousin and her dh and some of their friends from Oslo (not sure how many), so there will be plenty in the cheering on team! Even for those still running on Sunday! If you have been to Tromso before Steve perhaps you can suggest somewhere to meet up. The more the merrier!

• I can't remember the names of all the pubs, though the Rorbua was OK (had to google it) during the day and a sunday morning drink (of tea!)(haven't managed to drink there at night - had a run to do you know), and while I was on google I saw the view from the bar in the SAS radisson which is quite central - not abd but I am not sure if you have to be a resident to drink there. Either of them are OK I think.

During saturday I guess the place where they give out the numbers is a good place to meet - its sort of central and we have to go there anyway, or even meet there friday evening?

Don't know what you think?

• hi

just picked up on this thread, did this race 3 years ago, mainly flat, beautiful scenery, bizzare running at 1 am and the sun still shining

support was sporadic especally the 2nd half, but early on in the evening families come out and cheer you on.

the finish is in the town with the youngsters out on the town

norway is expensive to eat drink and shop, if you are there long enough try and do a glacier walk, an amazinf experience, goto tourist info for details

take a trip up the cable car too

• Steve, I know your flight doesn't get in until late ish on Friday, so how about 10pm Friday at the kulturehusset (sp?) (the place where you get your numbers). If it's too late or you don't make it on Friday we will try again Saturday morning about 10am. Is this OK? I have short bobbed red hair just so you know who I am! Another one of our party has dropped out from the run so there are more Cheerers on now than runners! I am leaving for Oslo on the 15th so will check this thread before I leave. If anyone else wants to meet please post, all welcome!
  • Hi Steven / Twinksy, I'm travelling up from Oslo on Saturday morning and leaving on Sunday morning, staying at the Radisson.  I'll probably waddle round the half although I haven't entered yet.  Doesn't give me much time but there were plenty of pubs still open when I finished last year.
  • Steven,

I'm definitely going and also staying at the Thon Polar hotel too.

• Where was everyone??? Hope you all had a good race.