ben nevis triathlon 2009

I have just returned from a holiday in Fort William in Scotland,the day i was leaving i noticed that there was a big triathlon taking place,does anyone have any info on this tri and what is it like.

Was thinking of maybe entering this next year as my first triathlon ever,is this a wise move or am i setting my sights a little high?.

Comments

• It looks a really good one and scenic one................as its only a half ironman distance shouldn't take you too longimage

If you love cycling and running off road then this would surely be the ideal race.................. go for it.... you have 12 months to trainimage

• Hi,

although its "only a HIM " its a bit of a kicker !!

The cycle is all MTB and the run is from sea level to the top of Ben Nevis (4404ft) and back down again image

way beyond me but if you fancy it then go for it image
    They also did a half Ben this year as well.....

The event organisers are at this link

hth

Adbru 

• Ideal thanks for your help,looking at the website this looks a tough one,if i dont get into london marathon next year,this is gonna be my challenge.

Once again cheers for the input.!!!

• You must be mad.....image

I only walked up the bloody thing and back down again and I'm still nursing the haematoma on my big toe two months later! image

I reckon I injured it getting out of the way of the fell runners who kept hurtling towards me at breakneck speed! image

If you do this one, you are truly WELL HARD!

• winning time this year - over 7 hours....

most half IM events are won in around 4hrs

so, yes, it's tough

• Hmmmmmmm - saw this advertised last year when we were visiting... the route is:

- swim in an extremely cold loch
    - bike - lots of loops round the challenging world champs x-country MTB trail
    - run up Ben Nevis (and back)

No!

• <<back quietly out of thread before someone starts a list ...>>
  • Oh, pooh-you, Hollywood!  Around half of this event is downhill - what could be easier than that? - I think it looks like good fun.  Has anybody on here done it?  I'd be interested to hear a bit more about it (especially the bike course).   Is it a 'proper' MtB course then, rather than one of those dull 'fireroad' tracks that they put on for non-MtBers?

Quite fancy this for next year.  Any takers?  Be nice to get a group up there.

• hmmmm............me and the missus said we'd be doing more XC tris next year but this might just clash with other plans currently brewing so unlikely Wicks. shame - be nice to finish that one under 9hrs!!
  • DIM Wickett wrote (see)

Oh, pooh-you, Hollywood!  Around half of this event is downhill - what could be easier than that? -

I'll show you my toe, DW! The downhill is the killer......image
  • Think i may have started something here,i did nevis when i was there,took me 2 and a half hours,so that part i know about,the mtb stage sounds like the killer,plus i havnt been on my mtb for a good 5 years,plenty of time to train though,has anyone out there actually done this tri???
  • We're all wimping out Beany!

But you go for it, mate.....image

• If i had an ounce of sense so should i Liverbird!!!!

Will keep you posted if i do enter

Cheers Mate.....image

• Sore toes is all part of the 'fun' Liverbird!

Beany - I imagine a new post will come up nearer the time, but let me know if you enter.  I'm currently about 75% sure I'll do it.  Only issues being that I need to get back to doing enough MtB training and that it's a bugger of a way to get to the race.  Can't even tie it up with a family holiday as it's outside of school holidays.  I'm sure I'll find a way.

• DW, im in the same predicament,i live in the south west so its a good 12 hour drive,but that aside if the training goes well etc then i am sure to enter.

Have you done many triathlon events??

• A few, bb -  But not an entirely off-road one.  Have done an off-road (with MtB) duathlon, but aside from some minor hills and deep mud, it was a pretty lightweight course (Cirencester somethingorother).  This one seems a bit more technical.

Are you 'sleeping with your sister' type south-west, or the right side (north) of the M4?  I'm Worcester (so, 'sleeping with farm-animals' midlands), so maybe we could work something out nearer the time.  Unless it turns out that either you, I or both of us are psychopathic weirdos - in which case, I'll dig you out a train timetable.  image

• DIM Wickett wrote (see)Are you 'sleeping with your sister' type south-west, imageimageimageRuns away before the answer....
  • Wickett I think you might have a chance of getting Mr S to do this with you.  He ran again last night with no probs at all and the MTB would really appeal!

• I was planning on running it by him, Sprocket.  Never know which email address to use (or indeed, what I've done with it) - but you can save me the hastle now!!

Someone has posted a link above (or Google the race if they're not showing next year's details - you can still access the 2007 race that way).  He'll whup me on the bike, but I'll get him on the run!!! (especially if his hill running stays as it was on Saturday...image ).

• You'd kick his Ass on the run regardless of how much he trained!  He's really not a runner and your super fast!   Ben Nevis he'd prob be quicker to walk it.  He's less likely to kick his ankles then too image

I had a look at the link the only prob he will have is logistics with it being term time.  Might be as cheap and quicker to fly up and hire a car once you've paid petrol all that way.

Emails are useless with him.  Best to email me on the one I mailed you from the other day and I'll show him.  I check mine everyday.  I might set him a Yahoo one up though.  He's uselss with email as mobile phones image

I sound like a horrid wife in this post!!!!

• Internal flights with MtBs?  Not tempting.  No, I think it best if we just let you drive us there and back.  We'll sleep.
  • ah yes hadn't thought about the bike thing image  Of course I'll drive you if you find someone to have the kids and book me into, and pay for, a luxury spa while you work your bums off.  I'll wear a pirate top and think of you both of course!  Team supportimage
  • It's on a Saturday too!

So I guess that just means a frantic drive up on Friday night then.  Can't take too long from your place, right?  image

• hmmm just a wee 10 hours according to the AA website.  So about 8 the way I drive but 12 allowing for friday night traffic bedlem!  Talk your folks into looking ours here and then we don't have to detour to drop kiddies.....  Its a plan!  If it wasn't such a big ass hill I might even be tempted!
  • For reference, Milton Keynes to Fort William, leaving somewhere around or 2pm to 3pm on a Friday, typically takes me a bit under ten hours. That's with two drivers alternating, and one stop of a bit under an hour for dinner. So you could do it closer to 8 hours.
  • Thanks SVT our journey would start out from Swansea though going via Wicketts.  It took us about 12-13 hours to get to Skye... but thats a fair wack on than FW I guess.  Hmmmm its a long old way for a weekend image
  • There are bike shops in FW that hire MTB's .......
    offbeat bikes
    nevis cycles (nice piccy of the ben on this site )

closest airport is inverness, easyjet fly from bristol

have fun  image

Adbru 

• My cousins own a lovely place that has chalets.... might give you a weekend rate out of holiday season.

http://www.riversidelodge.org.uk/

We stayed there for the Lochaber mara second time - spean bridge about 8 miles from FW. Amazing and on the banks of Loch Lochy so perfect for a cool down swim!

Loads of bike places, including at the foot of Aonach Mor where the Gondola is and the mountain bike course.

You could always camp in Glen Nevis - wicked campsite with great showers!!

Ahem - not that I am interested at all.........

PS North of Preston on a Friday is a DREAM..... Took me less than 4 hrs last time I did the trip up in one go.  4hrs from Brum to the M62 and then 4hrs from M62 to GlenCoe!!

In Aug it took us about 6.5 from FW to Northwich (M6 J19) on a Sat night with a food stop.

• Interesting, adbru and Lunacy.  Very interesting.

The travel is a pain.  Not so much for me as I can take days off, but my brother is a teacher so hours aren't flexible (hence the drive from S Wales on a Friday).  Even if he can leave at (best) 3pm on a Friday, he'll not get there until around midnight - and then to race at [whatever time] in the morning - not ideal.

So far only looked at Easyjet flights for him from Bristol - all leave too early.

If I do it, I may be going alone, I guess image