Tuesday 23rd September

It's hard to miss you when you follow us about.

What: am: Yoga d&d / pm: 5-ish easy
Why: Recovery
Last hard: Sunday
Last rest: Wednesday 17th

Have a good day folks.

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Morning

Well done TT on a excellent time and win at NF.  We couldn't possibly tell you what we have you down for a Abingdon as that would be putting pressure on...image

Dustin/Fingers - good show at the marathon.

Hippo - another marathon under your belt, well done.

what - am 3 miles / pm 7 miles
    why - got a renewed burst of energy - long may it last!

• Morning

MikeS - Congrats on the sub 38, excellent running.

What: 9 miles
    Why: Easy day
    Last hard: Sunday
    Lyrics: Nope

Have a good one.
  • Morning 

TippTopp - loved the piccies - including the giant watch that seems to have followed you round the course. Know what to look for now in Abingdon.

• What: Hopefully a swim tonight
    • Why: Feeling better? But still September...

Have a peach!

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning.

What: 5 miles d&d @ easy
    Why: because
    Last hard: bits of yesterday
    Last rest: 7 days

Felt good tihs morning.  Can feel fitness coming back after a few weeks of not a lot.

Have a good day.

• morning

great pics TT, looks like you were thoroughly enjoying it as well as working hard

FIN - bad luck but you weren't 100% to start and did well to get round when you were up against it. i'd wait till you're properly recovered then think out the next plan

SGQ - hips and holidays and a chest infection, you've had a few obstacles in your way!  with 2 weeks to go i'd try for one proper long and 2 medium long and see how you go

pammie - leg prodding  - what's happened to it ?

tom - easy week for you and we'll be expecting nice news come the weekend. keep away from lurgies there are a lot about

mike - MT race is a bit soon but you'll probably go into it more relaxed so enjoy it and see what happens

70 mins clocked up yesterday in the wetsuit as it's gone a bit cooler.
    did some sums and time spent running in the pool over the last 6 weeks would roughly equate to 40 miles per week which is about average what i was doing pre injury.
    against that resting HR has gone up about 3 beats and i've gained a pound ( likely to be half on each arm). itching to do a proper run to see hpw much running fitness i've lost.
    schedule is on for another 10 mins jog on soft surface so i'll either do it on grass or on the treadmill before the water session. was a bit worried yesterday that sunday's jog had set things off a bit but it seemed ok by evening and ok this morning. i suppose that's why i'm to do it alternate days.
    must have had a TR premontion in the supermarket at tea time - bought some pink grapefruit. within 10 mins of unpacking i was dripping with a cold, no warning whatsoever. spooky

• nivce upbeat report hilly and mava image
  • Morning all,

Thanks again for all the well done/battled comments - it's good to know that people look out for each other on here. Not that I didn't know you guy didn't before but you know what I mean.

Finally braved a  look over my splits last night from sunday at the NF mara..... Blimey. I won't bore you with the full rundown but I was averaging 7:40 a mile up to mile 17, then it dropped to about 8:15 a mile for the next 3 miles and then the bottom dropped out my racing! A couple of 15 minute miles and an average of somewhere on the wrong side of 11 m/m meant that I must have been in all kinds of trouble over that last 10k!

Clearly only one way to rectify that - lots of long runs required before I go over that distance again.As TT said yesterday - they are the bread and butter of the training. Don't think I'll try a short term fix - FLM next year will be my next marathon at the earliest.

What: Nothing today
    Why: Well, stairs are still a problem so running is out of the question!
    Last Hard: See above...
    Last Rest: Yesterday

Lyrics - Yes, this band always remind me of Supergrass for some reason.

• Morning all,

I forgot to bring my trainers into work with me!!!!!!! D'oh!

Yesterday: didn't get out as my mouth was still numb from being to the dentists! and the fact that it was slashing down.

Today: will have to wait til I get home and go out and miss out on the circiut training session with work crowd- grrrrrr! 

• Catch-up - I remembered my trainers!  I suppose, if you were a man who wore size 10 trainers and you were in Reading then I could lend them to you!  But you're not any of those, so...

What: 6M at lunch
    Why: desperate two weeks of half-marathon training to get ready for Cricklade
    Last hard: yesterday's tempo run
    Last rest: Sunday

Trying to work out how to fit in as many miles as I can between now and Cricklade without killing myself in the process.  Oh, and I also have to go to work.

• Morning All

what: Trip to Physio d & d
    Why: Suspect groin
    last Hard: The pain when stuck her fingers on places I'd rather they hadn't been
    Last Rest: Today

Despite my obvious problems in the groin area I still ran with club last night but at a easy pace, on the premise that it wasn't going to get any worse and I was seeing the fizzy today anyway. True it didn't get any worse and I did keep the pace down except for a 3K burst towards the end when I decided to shake things up a bit at the front. This morning I was pain free in groin but lower back was aching. Fizzy dived into problem area, ultrasound and acupuncture, apparently tendonitos and no great cause for concern as long as I take it easy for a few days. So first rest day for two weeks and first day of complete inactivity since sometime in June.

Yesterdays Lyrics, Run for Home, Lindisfarne

Todays Lyrics? not a clue

Have a good one

• Look after yourself Dubai Dave.

Clink - you've done lots of hard work, I don't think you will have lost much at all. Just wondering why the barefoot approach on the grass - wouldn't that add some extra strain too?

What: 3 miles bushtracks am and 5k O'Hagans pm

Why: Had to go to the chiropractor today, so decided on short run in the morning and a nice little 5k outing tonight.

Tom - yes I do like racing, it is very sociable too. Guess because all my other running is so slow that I like to get out and mix & mingle. Had a surprisingly good run 21.49  and won a bottle of wine as a spot prize!

Good running everyone.

• take care DD, don't want groin injuries, nasty

good luck with o'hagans NZC, or shall we say loaded hog. not a problem with the back again is it?
    not barefoot for me, sorry if it was a confusing description. i've been out and done  the 10 mins on grass in usual running shoes and loved it. the foot didn't play up while in action so see what tomorrow brings.

• Got bored with no running yesterday so I'm going to club tonight.

What: 7M Cycleand similar running
    Why: Club Night
    Last Hard: Some of sunday
    Last Rest: Yesterday

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice one MikeS

What: intervals with Tracey d&d
    Tempo lite at lunchtime
    2-4 + circuits with Peter
    Gym, Strength Chest and Back Vanity shoulders
    Why: Tapering :~)
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Sunday 21st September
    Lyrics: assumed TT wanted to date me
  • Morning

clink - nothing to worry about, just a routine visit. Go once a month, Everything is fine. For the first time quads were not tight at all.

Tipp top nice pictures

DD - Hope physio visit goes well

NZC - nothing too serious i hope

What: 4 miles easy
    Why: easy run
    Last Hard: Yesterday

Back later

• Dubai Dave - hope you don't get too fidgety on you rest day. A fan of Lindisfarne eh? Saw them years ago at Sunderland Empire.

Clink - you're an inspiration to all those injured!  You just keep on going.

NZchristine - nice result!

• hello everybody, its been a long time since I was on the site, Have been very busy training.

I have completed a tri, several marathons and a couple of ultras, 10ks 10 milers and half marathons since my last report.

Mileage still around a 100-120 miles a week expect last week got to the magic 150 miles.

I see we have a lot of familiar faces and a few new faces to me on the forums and quite a few race winners.

I am this week in not so sunny Kenilworth and hope to run with Kenilworth runners tonight if allowed.

Hope to see a few faces at Abingdon marathon but got Clarendon marathon, poppy hills trial race, Mens Health Ten mile race in nottingham to do before Abingdon so may some people at these races or Beachy Head marathon and Great South Run after Abingdon. (my usual busy month of october)

See you all later

Angelis

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    G'day

Clink - it's great to hear your finally putting your feet on terra firma.

DD - careful with the groin strain. Ashamed I missed yesterdays lyrics. I saw the late Alan Hull in concert once - really nice bloke

For myself:

What: 9 miles on parkland
    Why: aerobic and leg strength
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: 28 days
  • mwah Gobi image

Angelis - 150m? Blimey. That's impressive.

DD - hope it clears up quickly.

lol Hollywood. What's with the September? Do you not run at all?

clink - sounds like there's continued signs of improvement there.
  • Morning folks.

Once again, a few days since I've posted. Had a very quick skim through and many, many notable performances over the weekend. Stand-outs were TT's NF Marathon (a brilliant effort) and Mike's return to form. Both are the result of much hard work and are greatly deserved. And well done to all others...

Also, best wishes to DM and RFJ.

My hill run of last Wednesday sort of knackered the rest of my running week! Brilliant as the run was, after an easy 20 miles on the bike and a short run later on Thursday, the effects of DOMs really took over. I'd somehow thought that it was only about 4 weeks since I'd done a hill run, so the after-effects of the descending wouldn't be too bad, but come Friday morning my quads were like concrete and it was a real struggle getting down any stairs! On looking back, I realised it was actually over 2 months since my previous hill run, so there were a fair few non-attuned muscles brought into play. Things had only very slightly improved by Saturday, so the decision was made to ditch any idea of doing a planned road race that day. The weekend was the end of our 2 week holiday, so we just had a blow -out on Saturday night with a slap-up meal in a nice restaurant and a good few pints afterwards! Came back down to Glasgow on Sunday, taking a 3rd consecutive rest day, my legs grateful for the break.

So it was back to business yesterday...did an easy 5.5 miles at lunchtime, then a session at the club last night. The planned session was 5 x 1 mile @ 10k pace with 75secs recoveries, but bearing in mind how my legs had been I decided to run the reps a little more steadily and to aim for sub-5.40 to start with and see how I felt. Ended up running 5.34 / 5.36 / 5.38 / 5.31 / 5.32 which I was pleased enough with. Felt pretty comfortable at those sort of paces. Also good to pull along a couple of guys in the group who I'm usually out in front of.

For today...

What: 4.25 easy miles d&d this morning (dropped the car at the garage for a service then ran into work). Return journey this evening after work
    Why: recovery day / car needs a service!

Have a great day.

• Mroning all,

TT - great pictures!

DD - take it easy.

What: 15-20 miles on the bike on hills, then 2-3 miles hard run

Why: Mini brick

Last Hard: Yesterdays hilly 8 mile run, a 'pb' for that loop which proves the cold is cured!

Lyrics nope

Have a great day

• Lyrics vaguely familiar....
    DD-take it easy
    Angelis - good to see/hear from you, 150 miles! jinkies!

Well legs seem to be OK after Sunday, but given its club night tonight I'm sure I'll find out just how recovered I am...That said I'm erring on the cautious side and will drop off the top group.
    Plan for the remainder of the year is to bang out the 13-16 miles every week, with a longer one once a month of 20ish so the increase in mileage doesn't become a shock in January....Also planning to do as many of the XC league races as possible. Then next summer plan to do a Sharkie and do more on the track (and play in the sand) just to make a change....obviously those plans will all be different by the morning......

Super day all

• Afternoon,

clink - glad the injury seems to be getting better - hope the cold doesn't come to much.

Just back from lunch time 6M.  Encouraged by the fact that it was 2.30 faster than yesterday over the same distance and felt fairly comfortable all the way.  Final average pace was only just over (revised) target HMP.

BR and clink - thanks for the advice.  Makes sense.  My only worry is that the only opportunity I have for an "overdistance run" (say 15M) is on Sunday which is only a week before the race.  I suppose that, if I take it slowly, I will be able to recover in time for the race.  Currently, schedule up to race day looks like this: Wed - 6M gentle, Thu - rest, Fri - 10M gentle, Sat - enforced rest (taking son to uni), Sun - 15M very gentle, Mon - 5.5M gentle, Tue - 6M gentle-ish, Wed - 6M at least 3M tempo, Thu - rest, Fri - rest, Sat - 3-4M very gentle.

When you type "gentle" that many times, it starts to look like a very silly word.

• SGQ - Ever thought about doing a few gentle runs? lol

NZC - Good time at the Loaded Hog, which is not the Loaded Hog any longer.
  • Afternoon all,

DD:  Take care - hope backing off a few days eases things.  Don't loose the new-found spring in your step.

Clink:  Good news about your sesamoids - hope there's no reaction.  The search is on for the photo.  Mrs AF denies she's burnt it. 

Angelis:  Welcome back - didn't there used to be an "ultra"?

NZC:  Hope the BPTT can live up to the loaded hog. 

• What:  12m.  
    • Why:  base.  One more day and then it's "wither next?"
    • Last Hard:  N/A
    • Last Rest:  62 days

Have a good one.

• AF - don't suppose you saw university challenge last night - fairly spectacular mohican, thought yours might be similar !
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TT, Rach is not going to like you !!!!!!
  • what - last night 2 miles at 8.30 and 2 at 7.30 with a sprint finish - why - had half an hour spare before going out to the pub with one of my brothers and did nothing at all over the weekend. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Just cycling to report today ( 2 commutes and a lunchtime blast)
    - the SPO has just gone out, so no more sports for the day.

Clink - i've been eating pink grapefruits too, they were on offer. And I've caught a cold cos I had someone coughing and spluttering all over me last week !

Hope that TT is still enjoying the fame.

My swimming (improvement) was commented upon today - by a very good swimmer too - he saw me swimming y'day, and sent me an e-mail telling me how much better my stroke/body position was.
  • haha Gobi.

TR - you know the form, I enjoyed it at the time, but focus is on Abingdon now. Have to admit I found some of the fall-out mildly embarassing tbh. The way my folks reacted for example you'd have thought it was the Olympics....... It must be cold season. I rained off my planned run today as I can feel the tickle in the throat/nose and thought no point risking it whilst the immune system is a bit down (must pick up some grapefruits tomorrow actually). Very good news on the swimming. Do you reckon you'll feel more relaxed about it too in race conditions now? Knowing that somebody that good can see how much you've improved must be a major shot in the arm?