The Stickler 10.1

Anyone doing this one this year - how bad is it really?  Does everyone walk at some point or is it possible to run it all - I find it hard to get going after I walk!  Can't decide whether to subject myself to the pain or not ...

Comments

• I did it a few years back and it has some whopping gert hills that nearly everyone HAS to walk. I also managed to slip up (due to wearing road shoes) in the mud and got covered head to toe!, I would say you need shoes with very good grip. It is a very satisfying race to do, and enjoyable in a saddistic kind of way image
  • Ok the real question is would you do it again? 

• OH YES ,OH YES.

I remember that year tt lol 

• I would do it again image ( but not this year !)
  • Am doin it again tt. Hows the mara training going . Good luck in amsterdam. 
  • I've done it a couple of times and would definatley do it again. With regards to having to walk .................. the first hill at the start is realy steep and congested so you might have to walk a bit there. he others can be run up, it depends on your fitness.

Get some cross country trainers or you'll be sliding all over the place. 

• Will be doing this for the first time this year, was talking to someone at another event recently who told me about this race so I gonna give it a go.

• Am doing this one with my collie it will be her first race, so will have to start at the back.
  • Does she get her own number - good luck to the two of you!  Hope it's not as wet and windy as it was when I went out for my run today - I had a job to move forwards at some points!!!  Can't believe they escaped it for the Great North Run!
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

I'm doing for the 8th(?) time. Spice the Spaniel will be running with me as usual. She has entered and got a number so she will have her name on the t-shirt. See you at the back HW:, but who will be first dog?

Don't quite agree with Pizza Man about the hills... I can't run the first or the last from the road up to the barn. but then Im not superhuman.

• I've posted my entry today so, Royal Mail allowing, I'm in!!!  Please no more stories about the hills now as it's too late to back outimage .

Going to try and drag myself our for some (non muddy) hills shortly...

• FH hills they aren,t hills they be  mountainsimage .

MF i think if abbie was running on her own she would have a good chance but dragging me behind is quite a penalty for her.image

• Hi

Entered online, does anyone know if numbers get sent out or you have to pick them up on the day?

Does anyone know how this one compares to The Beast? Been trying to do some extra hill work as have been told the hills are killers!image

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

HW: see you at the back!

Jayney: Its not as far but the hills are hard. The Beast has only one that compares, coming up from Chapman's pool....., but the Stickler is shorter......

Expect to run your 1/2 marathon time

• Jayney, I entered by post and included an SAE to get my race number sent otherwise you tick a box to say you'll pick it up on the day.  As you pay extra online I think you automatically get your race pack in the post as it covers your postage.  Although having said this I've only ever entered one race online so don't quote me on it!

MF, I've done the Beast once is Chapman's pool the bit by the steps?  I can't really remember much about it just that we had a fantastic day weatherwise and the ground was good!

• MF & FH - thanks for the comments!  I'll keep an eye on the post!  The steps by Chapmans Pool hurt - on advice I walk them which seems to work as I catch up with the other people who try and run them and then die at the top...

Am a bit worried as haven't got as many runs in as I would've liked so far, but at least have 2 weeks to go!  Doing the Bournemouth Cancer Research 10k the week before, just to get in the mood image

• Folks - On-line entrants can pick their numbers up on the day as on-line entry fees just cover race entry and RW commission.  If anyone wants an electronic copy of the race day details then just e-mail the race secretary Trevor Keep and he'll e-mail you them back.  Happy running.

P.S. For the tough climbs running can become a case of almost running on the spot - or walking as the rest of us tend to refer to it, but the sense of achievement at the end is immense.

• Thanks, I'll do that image

Really looking forward to the challenge !

• Oops sorry for the misinformation - the entry fee itself must have included the race pack being sent out in my other oneimage - still the entry into this is a bargain - easy on the pocket hard on the legs!  What have I let myself in for!
  • Got my race number today - Royal Mail obviously did their job ... no backing out now!!!  See you thereimage
  • Just wondering does anyone run with ipods? and is it best to carry your own drink or are their drink stations?

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

Don't start about ipods!

There are drink stations, about every 3 miles. If you get desperate you cross the River Stour twice.

• ipods aren't so bad, I do a lot of running/training on my own and it keeps me company and helps me set a good pace image

i did a 10k recently and they said under some running regulation we weren't allowed to use them as some of the course was on public roads.  Is the Stickler all off road?

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, its very off road. About 3/4 mile on tarmac at the start then hills and mud!
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

Oww wasnt that fun? A minute slower than last year but we were completely blown away by the other dogs. I think being towed by huskies is cheating though (outside assistance)image

Well organised as usual, weather wasn't too bad and a really nice top to take home. Well done the Doddlers

• Got to agree with that. Well worth the 2.5 hr drive to Shillingstone. Well done the doddlers. Great race,
  • Note to self, multi terrain events need off road shoes!!!

Not sure I enjoyed it at the time but have fond memories nowimage

Well organised and I'd only been talking about needing a long sleeved t-shirt in the morning - bonus ...

One last thing, MF posted earlier on the thread that you should expect to run your half marathon time - what's the consenus on this based on today's run?  While I was disappointed with my minute miling, this would be a fantastic halfimage for me!

• FH - I actually ran in at 15 mins under my half marathon time, so that estimation didn't really work for me.  Saying that having expected a longer time I was doubly pleased with my result.  Actually ran without a watch and checked the time when I got in.  Found it really great to be not checking on the time on the way round!

Well done to the organisers and everyone who took part, thought the atsmopshere was great, especially the encouragement from the other runners when I managed to run one of the bigger hills!

Will definitely go back next year!

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    WFM, you did well then! I was just about spot on for my 1/2m time, but I did walk the hills!