Recomendations for winter running!

So i have been running since April and i want to keep it up through the winter months - so what gear do i need????

(By the way i am female - i am not sure if that makes any difference at all!!!!!!)

Comments

• Depends on how cold you like to be?

Personally I have got the following...

Windproof Jacket, Waterproof Jacket, Hat, Gloves and Tights (winter thick ones and light ones)

I plan on layering up and taking the top layers off before I overheat.

I didn't normally like being too hot but as I am getting older I notice the cold more (i'm only 34!!!)

Not sure it matters if you are female apart from you all being cold blooded!

• Leggings or tights.  I suggest ignoring the "hard men" who say they run in shorts even when it's -20 and blowing a gale.  You should be keeping your joints warm to keep them working properly.  On top try a long sleeve thermal top.  Ron Hill do some good ones.  Then add a woolly hat and some thin gloves.  I tend not to bother with a jacket as I overheat but I do have a windproof gillet.
  • Gillets are brill. THey keep your core warm and you use your arms to stop you overheating.
  • I wear long leggings and a long sleeved top, fluorescent if I'm going out at dusk. I've got a fluorescent hat too, but it's got to be practically snowing before I wear it. I can't stand overheating, so although I've got a lightweight jacket I rarely run in it.

Mr K wears a LS top under a short sleeved one, leggings, shorts on top, jacket and gloves.

• I'm one the hard men.

So it's the same outfit as summer except for the addition of gloves when it's freezing and cap when it's raining.

But seriously, it's easy to get it wrong. If you're warm enough when you start your run, you're wearing too much and will overheat. You need to feel a bit chilly at the beginning before you've warmed up.

• Lycra shorts and tights - wear both if it is really cold. 

Merino wool socks

Smelly hansen or aldi specials

Montaine lightweight  jacket and gillet

Gloves

peaked hat if it rains 

buff for headwear, ear warmer or mouthwarner.

If it is really cold shove on a couple of t shirts as well

Reflective tabard

• thanks peeps - lots of very useful advice.

i dont want to be one of those people that throws a lot of money (not that I have it with this credit crunch) and then only wear it once - i guess it trial and error.......any advice on good places to shop????

• I think the answer is you need to find out what suits you the best. I am in shorts all year round, sleeveless or short sleeves in the summer but a long sleeved top when its cold and perhaps some thin gloves. I do run hot though.
  • Decathlon is good and so is Aldi when they have a runners special on.
  • Aldi, or is it lidl will have a running clothing sale on for one week soon.  They are a good place to begin with.  Otherwise dip around the sale sections of places like start fitness
  • I think Aldi normally do their run kit in October - so as Gumps says - hang on for them if you want to save some dosh.
  • I overheat very easily, so start off what feels like too little.  I soon warm up.

A headband or buff to keep my ears warm - a hat is too much for me

Thin fleece gloves - these usually get taken off at some point and stuffed down my tights.

A long-sleeved wicking top, and if it's very cold, a short sleeved one underneath.

A rain jacket replaces the l/s top if it's raining.

I usually get bits and pieces in sales, or from on-line retailers like Start Fitness.

• Another vote for Start fitness and Aldi. I regularly have a hunt through a variety of online shops to see what they have on special offer - you can sometimes get some great bargains. I find the More Mile long sleeve fluorescent tops at Start fitness are really good if you're planning to run at night during the winter.
  • Go for l/s tops with a neck zip you can undo for better temperature control.

Don't have the tops too baggy as it'll act like a parachute if it's windy and will be less effective at wicking away body moisture.

I don't do hats, prefer buffs, worn in different ways depending on how cold it is. I wear a thin peaked baseball hat if it's raining to keep the water out of my eyes. Thin gloves if it's very cold, or pull sleeves over my hands.

Flourescent's no good in the dark, need something reflective or flashy lights. Those refelective 'bin men' bibs can be picked up cheap. Fluro or white's best for viz during the day.

Ideally buy your winter gear in summer, it's much cheaper. I got an Icebreaker l/s top half price recently, which was a hell of a saving.

• Gah. looked a nice range, but no leg lengths. Its not as if I can wear heels with my running trousers . . . Also, most of the running gear doesn't seem to come in XS.

Does anyone have recommendations for good sportswear shops in London for a girl?

I know Lillywhites, and will go to sweatybetty's, but are there any others you'd all recommend?

Really like to try things on . . . . being on the dwarfish sideimage

• Another vote for gillets!  They're fab at keeping you warm, but not too warm image  My gillet has a mesh back and windproof front with some reflective strips on it.

I have several long sleeve tops - some with a fleecy feel inside and some just plain.  If only I could find tops with 3/4 length sleeves as I always end up rolling the sleeves up to just past my elbows!

I only wear gloves if it's really cold but usually end up taking them off after I've warmed up.  Long long sleeves are a good alternative image

If you want a high-vis top, go for something made of mesh (lumo with reflective strips) then you can wear it over your normal gear without overheating.

I really like www.girlsruntoo.co.uk and www.sheactive.co.uk but often get t-shirts and long sleeve tops elsewhere (cos it's cheaper).

• ActionCat wrote (see)

I have several long sleeve tops - some with a fleecy feel inside and some just plain.  If only I could find tops with 3/4 length sleeves as I always end up rolling the sleeves up to just past my elbows!

Here we are
  • Almost there...just want one with the sleeves just past the elbows image
  • Popped into Aldi today after reading this thread - just cycling stuff in at the moment....

• Decathlon gets my vote.

Winter running = Tights, any minging old T shirt and a gillet. generally don't bother with a hat unless it's literally freezing because you soon warm up, same with the gloves....i'm sure i look a bit of a tit in my man tights but so what.

One of the biggest mistakes i've come across over the years is people buying stuff because
    A. They think they need them
    B. They look good

There's some good advice in this thread, good luck.

• I'm toying with the idea of man tights this winter but as a 14 and a half stone bloke (albeit 6'4" tall) I'm not entirely sure I can get away with that particular look. Any opinions?
  • I've just bought one of those jackets that turns in to a gillet - main reason being I don't always go running straight out of my front door/ gym and want the sleeves for the public transport bit. (it also cost only 25 pounds online reduced from 50 which seems to be par for the course for these jackets) 

I started running in Jan - so possibly my experience is partly based on being slow but;

I can get cold within seconds of standing around but warm up when actually running.  Tended to wear long trousers (may go for tights but not sure I'd want anyone I know outside running to see me in them),  long sleeved base layer top (hang over from hiking)  and possibly a hat.

Personally I like to look good on the basis I can guarantee I will bump into someone I know when I don't look good.  (Its bad enough with the hair and red face) 

• concur with the statement that you shouldn't feel warm and cosy before the run - if you do you've got too much on.  You'll soon heat up if you are putting a reasonable effort in.

I wear Adidas climalite tights which are the thinnest material. They give a reasonable amount of warmth but almost don't feel like you are wearing them, so they don't restrict your movement.  

start fitness are great place to get a bargain. ebay also worth a look. 

• ebay always worries me because of false goods - i know i have just tarnished everyone there - but hey if there is only one i will be the sucker to buy it!!!!

Thanks for all the comments - i am thinkings tights, long sleeved top and a gillet.  I may pick up some cheap thin gloves as i do hate it when my hands are cold but like everyone says you will soon warm up.

Rachel S - where did you pick up your gillet from?

• Gillets are great as long as you get the right one, Decathalon or any good running shop will be good at this time of year, just as the winter gear in coming in. As for a hat you can't beat a Buff if you get to hot hot just wrap it around your wrist or use it as a neck warmer or a head band if you have long hair. Running tights with out a dought, Decathalon have some really good one's, and under your gillet a good base layer, i think thats about it ,oh ye gloves my hands get really cold so a good pair Nike have some very good one's. Anyway i hope the everyone has helped you in your quest for winter running, i hope you carry on and enjoyimage
  • I find a couple of thinner layers works great!

Winter running for eghamR = Long Sleeve t-shirt, short sleeve t-shirt over the top, 9/7" long running shorts, running gloves (as long as the hands are warm I'm Ok in most temps), beanie hat when its really cold!
  • Decathlon for me too! I've got a running waterproof from there and the sleeves zip off which is great for the slightly-cold but not freezing weather!

I'm a skint runner so I have what I consider to be the minimum - a  warm hat (cold ears when running is bad!!), a baseball cap style hat (Decathlon, £3)  thin gloves (same place, about £3)  which are enough when I set off and thin enough to tuck down my tights when I've warmed up, a pair of ronhill tights, and a long seeved top. If it's really cold I just double up my running tops - I've got a sleeveless one, a t-shirt style one and a long sleeved one (all Decathlon for about a fiver each) and I just layer them according to the weather. Easy!

I don't really understand why anyone spends a fortune on branded running stuff - it just gets repeatedly sweaty and washed and then eventually binned. The only thing I spend money on is my shoes and socks.

x

• Aldi specials again next week.

Be sure to get some of these : http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_7539.htm 

• Thanks for that - handy that i was going to go shopping on Friday - woohoo